Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sir Bob Paisley Campaign

Read 13295 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Sir Bob Paisley Campaign
      Feb 20, 2007 06:00:44 pm
      Sign the UK Government petition for 'Sir' Bob Paisley
      http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SirBobPaisley

This article is from the Liverpool Echo. There is a link at the bottom. I think a lot of you guys will agree with me that Bob Paisley should be knighted for what he done for LFC and football in general. (Mods, if this has been posted before, I apologise. Move it if you can. Thanks)

Campaign to knight Reds’ Bob PaisleyFeb 20 2007

by Ian Hernon, Liverpool Echo

BOB Paisley could finally be in line for a knighthood, more than 10 years after his death.

Tony Blair's Downing Street e-petition website is getting internet demands for a posthumous honour for the manager who steered Liverpool FC to nine European and domestic league titles.

Over the past 24 hours, 164 fans have registered their support with No 10.

Lifelong Reds fan Ian Little, who launched the petition, said: “Bob Paisley was England's best ever manager and won the European Cup three times while manager of Liverpool, yet he only ever received the OBE.

“He also won the domestic league title six of the nine years he was in charge. Alex Ferguson has only won the European Cup once, yet he received a knighthood.

“This is not equitable.”

The prime minister has already said he will “take notice” of voters who express an opinion to him online.

An aide said: “He treats this new innovation, e-petitions direct to his office, as people power in action, and if enough fans log on in sufficient numbers then he will consider it.”

Merseyside MPs are offering full support.

Knowsley North MP and Reds fan George Howarth said: “It would be a very fitting tribute, a reward not just for what he did for Liverpool FC, but also for what he did to raise the game in general.

“He was the quiet man of football, but his contribution should be recognised.”

Bootle MP Joe Benton said: “I fully endorse this, even though as an Everton fan I have very many good reasons to regret his stewardship of Liverpool.

“He was one of the most respected football managers in my lifetime, and indeed in the history of football.”

Paisley was a Liverpool player from 1939 to 1954 and succeeded Bill Shankly as manager in 1974.

Over the next nine seasons Liverpool won six league titles and finished second twice, three League cups, one Uefa cup, one European Super cup and five charity shields.

He was the only man to coach three European cup winning sides.

After his death in 1996 the club named one Anfield entrance the Paisley Gate, as they had previously done with the Shankly Gate.

You can sign the petition by logging on to http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SirBobPaisley and completing the short form. Petitioners have until March 13 to sign up.

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2007 11:40:45 pm by JD »
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Re: Sir Bob Paisley Campaign
      Reply #1: Feb 20, 2007 06:24:21 pm
      I've signed it! We shouldn't have too though! Surely the Government should recognize the most successful manager in the history of the European cup? They make me sick! Cloth cap and slippers, Bob will always be a King in my eyes!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Feb 20, 2007 06:36:17 pm
      I've signed it! We shouldn't have too though! Surely the Government should recognize the most successful manager in the history of the European cup? They make me sick! Cloth cap and slippers, Bob will always be a King in my eyes!

Too right Crazy Horse! Totally agree with everything you say there.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Feb 20, 2007 06:46:24 pm
      Agree totally!

Two points though, 1) The Everton Echo should of done this 20 years ago or even after his death 12 or 13 years ago

2) not sure on the govt handing out post-humous knighthoods

And would you want a highly decorated servant of our club to receive a tacky thing like a kighthood - how much do they cost these days, couple of mill to the Labour party and there you go theres your title
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #4: Feb 20, 2007 07:17:39 pm
      signed.

echo your thoughts CH
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Feb 20, 2007 09:14:17 pm
      Whats took them sooo long ?   ;)  ??? ???
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #6: Feb 20, 2007 10:10:23 pm
      Signed.....there are some funny other petitions on the site if you look......'extend the tube to Tottenham Hotspur' is one  ???
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Feb 20, 2007 10:11:54 pm
      Thanks for the link  - will publish a story on the website.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 21, 2007 01:14:24 am
      Signed,he deserves all our respect,if that tw*t at ot get ones so should Bob.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #9: Feb 21, 2007 09:46:06 am
      Signed.....there are some funny other petitions on the site if you look......'extend the tube to Tottenham Hotspur' is one  ???

I'll sign that one too, Its a tw*t of a walk from the Seven Sisters!  ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #10: Feb 21, 2007 12:17:21 pm
      I'd sign it but it doesn't want to load up...
      I shall try again later...
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Feb 22, 2007 11:51:05 am
      Signed too, But as Bob Paisley has passed on he will not be able to pay for this honor, unlike some who campained for Labour in certain Manchester areas prior to his knight hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:D
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #12: Feb 22, 2007 07:26:01 pm
      The best LFC manager in my eyes, was and always will be a legend !

Get in there Bob . . .
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #13: Feb 22, 2007 07:43:48 pm
      his name will always live on in the hearts of every red for what he did & achieved for this great club of ours & a posthumous knighthood would be an honour if your into the monarchy & peers of the realm & all that. a more fitting tribute I think would be the naming of a stand in the new stadium in his honour - how about the Bob Paisley Kop? new state of the art stadium that holds the memories & values of our heros for us all to think of fondly.
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2007 07:48:01 pm by banksiemagic »
      YYZ
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #14: Feb 22, 2007 08:15:06 pm
      I signed this yesterday, but just wanted to mention this:
      On the petition site there's the following statement regarding petitions for honours...

"
      Honours

We have received several petitions proposing people for honours. Initially, we decided it would be wrong to accept this, since there is an existing procedure for honours nominations from members of the public, and an e-petition would not just duplicate this. Concerned at raising false expectations, we advised several petitioners that they should use the forms downloadable at http://www.honours.gov.uk.

However, after discussion with the Cabinet Office Ceremonial Secretariat, we agreed that we can accept these petitions, provided that we make clear to petitioners that the e-petitions service will not replace the existing system. Anybody wishing to nominate somebody for an honour should still complete the online form at http://www.honours.gov.uk. More information about the honours system is available on the same site.

"

I assume that someone has already completed that separate online form?
       Just a thought.
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 22, 2007 08:36:35 pm
      hi YYZ, i think i know your brother YYK - makes zips ;D!
      Eniac
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #16: Feb 23, 2007 09:04:12 pm
      I have another point of concern: Are you sure that Bob Paisley would have accepted a knighthood? There's a long list of honorees who rejected an honour, after all, for various reasons.

I know for sure that the Victoria Cross can be bestowed posthumously, but I'm not sure whether this is possible for the Order of the British Empire, nor in the case when the honoree has been dead for several years already.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #17: Feb 24, 2007 12:25:32 am
      Signed! I wasn't born whilst he was in charge at Liverpool, but i know all about what he did for the club! No question, he should be knighted!
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 03, 2007 07:48:27 am
      iv signed the man is a legend.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #19: Mar 06, 2007 10:40:37 am
      On the BBC website today.

Great news for the campaign

MPs are joining the growing campaign to grant a posthumous knighthood for former Liverpool manager Bob Paisley.

with over 25,000 names on the petition things are gaining momentum

lets hope Bob gets the recognition for being the most greatest manager in football history
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Mar 06, 2007 11:23:57 am
      I've signed.. Even though I'm sure I did before.. :)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #21: Mar 06, 2007 11:42:24 am
      Shocker, i have not signed yet

Have now ;)
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #22: Mar 06, 2007 11:44:42 am
      Signed and cant think of a more deserving person to receive such an honour, the fact that he was overlooked when alive is a disgrace especially with Ferguson, Robson, Charlton etc. all being knighted for in my opinion lesser achievements.
      He wasn't just a winner with his teams on the pitch but he also had so much grace and class, and that in today's game is a rarity.

Quick Reply