Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 358531 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)
      Jun 26, 2009 04:07:40 pm
      JOHNSON SIGNS FOUR-YEAR DEAL

England defender Glen Johnson has today put pen to paper on a four-year Anfield deal.

The 24-year-old full-back arrives from Portsmouth and becomes Rafa Benitez's first major acquisition of the summer ahead of the 2009-10 season.

His squad number has yet to be decided.

Johnson's career began with Harry Redknapp at West Ham but after just 15 appearances and a loan spell at Millwall he became the first signing for new Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in 2003.

The Londoner's league debut for the Blues came at Anfield against Liverpool in August of the same year.

Three months later he made his international debut against Denmark as a substitute for Gary Neville.

Johnson won a Premier League title winner's medal and a League Cup during his time at Stamford Bridge but he was loaned to Portsmouth by Jose Mourinho in 2006.

The deal was made permanent a year later and the England man went on to be a massive hit with the Fratton Park faithful.

He helped the club to FA Cup glory in 2008 - and the season that followed brought a host of personal accolades.

Glen JohnsonDespite Pompey finishing 14th in the league, Johnson was selected at right-back in the PFA Team of the Year for 2008-09. His screaming left-foot volley against Hull on November 22 also won Match of the Day's Goal of the Season.

The defender has amassed 15 caps for England and was named as Nationwide's man-of-the-match in the Three Lions' recent World Cup qualifying victory over Andorra at Wembley after claiming three assists in the game.

Away from the pitch, our new boy established the Glen Johnson Soccer School' in Dartford, Kent back in 2007 for children aged between four and 16.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164870090626-1552.htm

Welcome Glen!

Discussion on Glen Johnson prior to signing can be read here.
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2015 12:23:20 pm by JD »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jun 26, 2009 04:09:34 pm
      Best of luck Johno lad.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jun 26, 2009 04:10:19 pm
      Superb, great purchase, looking forward to seeing him play for us.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #3: Jun 26, 2009 04:11:23 pm
      I'm a bit pessimistic about this, but i'd happily allow him to prove me wrong.

Best of luck Glen. I hope he does well at the club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Jun 26, 2009 04:11:43 pm
      Welcome, Glen!

I'll back you up as long as you're donning the Red shirt. Cross more for Fernando Torres!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jun 26, 2009 04:12:54 pm
      Exclusive: Rafa on Glen Johnson

Why did you decide to bring Glen Johnson to the club?

We were thinking about bringing in players with quality - that's the first thing. He is also English and that is important for the Champions League list. We were thinking about improving the team and Johnson is a very good player who will do that.

What will he give us?

He was important at Chelsea and in the last year at Portsmouth he has improved and is much better. One of the main things is his mentality - it's really good. He is a winner. I was impressed with the conversations I had with him. He wants to improve.

Does he represent value for money?

We knew the market was going to be difficult this summer and some of it has been crazy. Manchester City and Chelsea were there - they were making offers. We had to be quick and the club acted quickly. It was down to the player whether he chose us or City or Chelsea and he chose us. It was very clear from talking to him that he wanted to play for Liverpool.

What does this mean for Alvaro Arbeloa?

Arbeloa was a good player for us last year. The thing is, he has one year left on his contract. We have offered him an extension and we're talking. He is our player but if there is a good offer we have to consider it. We have two or three clubs asking about him. He would like to stay but he knows the competition will be hard.

Can fans expect any more signings?

We are working and trying to bring new players in but we are happy with the squad we have at the moment. We were thinking about improving and with Johnson we have improved. Like I have already said, we could buy one more player without selling anyone. We now have to wait.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164869090626-1555.htm
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: Jun 26, 2009 04:15:03 pm
      Welcome Glen.

Hopefully he's just that extra bit of quality we need to win number 19.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Jun 26, 2009 04:15:05 pm
      Glen Johnson - Biography via Wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Johnson_(English_footballer)

Club career

West Ham United

Born in Greenwich, London, Johnson was a product of the West Ham United system, becoming a 15 year-old first year scholar in 2000. He signed a three-year professional contract for the Hammers on 1 August 2001 at the age of 16, and was given the number 23 shirt. In the 2001-02 season, he made regular Reserves appearances for West Ham, but was unable to break into the first team. He eventually signed an initial four-week loan deal with local rivals Millwall on 17 October 2002, making his Championship debut in an away loss against Norwich City on 19 October. His loan was twice extended by a month, before he was recalled early to Upton Park after having spent seven weeks at The Den, his final appearance in a Millwall shirt coming in another away defeat to Crystal Palace on 7 November. His Premiership and West Ham debut came on 22 January 2003 in another away defeat to a London club, this time against Charlton Athletic, when he came on for midfielder Édouard Cissé. He made a total of 15 League appearances - and a solitary FA Cup appearance - in the 2002-03 season, becoming a more significant member of the West Ham side as the year went on. He even signed a new four-year deal to remain in East London on 18 March 2003, appearing keen to help keep the club in the top flight. However, his last outing in a Hammers shirt was to come on the final day of the season, 11 May 2003, in an away draw with Birmingham City - the must-win match which saw his club relegated to the First Division.

Chelsea

Just two months after that fateful Sunday in May, he was to join London rivals Chelsea, signing on 15 July for a fee of £6 million. The first purchase of the Abramovich era, he made his debut on 13 August in an away win against Žilina in the 2003-04 Champions League - and his first Chelsea goal came in the corresponding home leg two weeks later. His league debut came on 17 August in a Anfield win against Liverpool, but he had to wait until 9 November for his first League goal, netting the opener of a 5-0 romp over Newcastle United. He eventually made 63 appearances in all competitions over the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons. In Chelsea's FA Cup fifth round clash against Newcastle in the latter season, Blues' goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was sent off late in the match for a tackle outside the box. Johnson went in goal (as Chelsea had used all three substitutions and couldn't call on Petr Cech from the bench) and saved the free-kick and kept a clean sheet. However a goal had already been scored by Newcastle and they held on to win 1-0 and knock Chelsea out of the cup. He picked up a winner's medal when he came on as a second half substitute for Chelsea in the 2005 Football League Cup Final, a game which Chelsea went on to win after extra time. He also made 17 appearances, enough for a medal, as Chelsea won the 2004-05 Premier League, but he was to miss out on a medal for their success in the next season after managing only 4 appearances in the league.

As the 2005-06 season unfolded, Johnson was still only a squad player at Chelsea with Paulo Ferreira being the regular at right-back. Johnson made one appearance in the Premier League for Chelsea that season, starting the 4-0 win against West Bromwich Albion in place of Ferreira. Versatile squad player Geremi also provided extra competition for Johnson at right-back under José Mourinho. As a result, Johnson joined Portsmouth in a season long loan in June 2006. On his return to Chelsea, Johnson started the 2007 Community Shield and the opening Premier League game of the season at home to Birmingham City.

Portsmouth

On 31 August 2007, transfer deadline day, Johnson signed for Portsmouth on a four-year contract, for a fee believed to be £4M. He was handed a start in the first match after his transfer, a 3-1 defeat at Arsenal and became the club's regular right-back.

On 20 October, Johnson scored his first goal in over three years, against Wigan Athletic after dribbling from the halfway line.

He played in and won the 2008 FA Cup Final. Shortly after Johnson's cup success, he and many other Portsmouth players had their winner's medals stolen. On 22 November, Johnson scored a 35-yard screamer with his left foot against Hull City, a goal which won Match of the Day's Goal of the Month award for November, and later came second to Fernando Torres in the Goal of the Season award.

Johnson ended speculation that he would move to Liverpool for a rumoured amount of £9m by signing a four-and-a-half-year contract with Portsmouth on 9 January 2009, although speculation once again suggested that Johnson could make a big money move to Liverpool in the near future; this was reaffirmed in late April 2009

On 22 April 2009, at 24 years old, Johnson was the youngest member of Times Online's Top 50 Portsmouth players list.

Johnson was included in the PFA team of the year for the 2008-09 season despite Portsmouth finishing in the bottom half of the Premier League, 7 points above the relegation zone.

Liverpool

A Portsmouth representative confirmed on 13 June 2009 that a "sizeable bid" had been received for Johnson and that he was most likely on his way out, with Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City being mooted as possible suitors.

On 16 June 2009, Portsmouth agreed a bid believed to be £17m from Liverpool, who beat Chelsea and Manchester City to the signing. However on the 18 June 2009 Portsmouth confirmed they had also accepted a bid from Chelsea for Johnson and it was up to the player as to who he wanted to join. Liverpool are believed to have tabled the £10m bid on the basis that Portsmouth still owed Liverpool £7m from the purchased of Peter Crouch in the summer of 2007, with the Liverpool willing to reduce the fee owed on signing Johnson.

On 22 June, Liverpool announced the transfer on their official website saying "Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that they had reached an agreement with Portsmouth Football Club and with Glen Johnson for the transfer of the player to Anfield."

On 26th June 2009, Glen Johnson put pen to paper on a four contract with Liverpool FC

Best of luck Glen.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #8: Jun 26, 2009 04:15:08 pm
      I think he'll do well but he still has to prove his worth in a red shirt ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jun 26, 2009 04:16:35 pm
      When will he 'unveiled'? - as in wearing the red shirt and all that malarkey?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #10: Jun 26, 2009 04:19:40 pm

1st July hopefully!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Jun 26, 2009 04:26:56 pm
      Alright, good player. Lets hope he does well
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #12: Jun 26, 2009 04:30:41 pm
      Welcome Johnson.

One of the signings that will improve our squad.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #13: Jun 26, 2009 04:32:45 pm

The players are due to return the 5th July I believe.

Probably some kind of photoshoot that week.

Good luck on your Liverpool future Glen.  I sincerely hope you add to your title winning medals whilst at Liverpool.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #14: Jun 26, 2009 04:33:21 pm
      He's a Liverpool player now so he has my complete support! Good luck Glen. :)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Jun 26, 2009 04:34:15 pm
      Good luck, Glen.

Hope your best years are in the red of Liverpool.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #16: Jun 26, 2009 04:38:21 pm
      What I like about this transfer is that he had options open to him, but he chose us. When you consider the fact that the other two clubs in for him were Manchester City and Chelsea, I have troubling believing we were offering him the highest wage.

He's young and ambitious, and surrounded by the quality of players and coaches we have he can only get better.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Jun 26, 2009 04:40:54 pm
      Welcome on board Glenn.

We have a proud history of top right backs at our club lets have us talking about ye like we did them  ;)

By the way gives Rafa another option right midfield also
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #18: Jun 26, 2009 04:45:56 pm
      What I like about this transfer is that he had options open to him, but he chose us. When you consider the fact that the other two clubs in for him were Manchester City and Chelsea, I have troubling believing we were offering him the highest wage.

He's young and ambitious, and surrounded by the quality of players and coaches we have he can only get better.

Very true, nice to see a young player with his priorities straight!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #19: Jun 26, 2009 05:02:58 pm

Nice one Glen

Read this on the net, cant remember where

''Liverpool write songs for our heroes, other clubs can only write cheques''

Quality that
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: Jun 26, 2009 05:03:47 pm
      Nice one Glen

Read this on the net, cant remember where

''Liverpool write songs for our heroes, other clubs can only write cheques''

Quality that

Indeed.

Let's get working on a Johnson song! :D
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #21: Jun 26, 2009 05:14:07 pm
      Exiting stuff! This is what pre season is all about!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Jun 26, 2009 05:19:25 pm

Very good point there mate.

He didn't get his head turned by money, he chose us because he really wants to play for us and that's something very important.

Good luck Glen. I'm confident you are going to prove to your doubters that you are indeed a very talented footballer and I hope you add a few more Premier League medals to the collection.

Good luck mate.

Quick Reply