Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360036 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #1978: Sep 25, 2012 03:26:52 am
      http://www.lfcts.com/johnson-valencia-is-a-cheat/

He's a great guy along with being a great player Glen, got a huge amount of respect for him personally.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1979: Sep 25, 2012 04:12:43 am
      Glen Johnson accuses Antonio Valencia of cheating to win penalty which led to Man United's victory over Liverpool FC

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/09/24/glen-johnson-accuses-antonio-valencia-of-cheating-to-win-penalty-which-led-to-man-united-s-victory-over-liverpool-fc-100252-31899501/#ixzz27RoCW48O]
      GLEN JOHNSON has accused Manchester United's Antonio Valencia of "cheating" to win a decisive penalty at Anfield - and insists the referee would not have given Liverpool FC a spot-kick if it was Luis Suarez who had gone down in the box.

Robin Van Persie converted an 81st minute spot-kick to hand Alex Ferguson's men victory against 10-man Liverpool on Sunday.

Referee Mark Halsey ruled that Johnson had brought down Valencia in the area but television replays strongly suggest there was no contact from the Reds' defender.

To add to Liverpool's frustrations, they were denied a penalty when Suarez fell under a challenge from Johnny Evans in the second half and Johnson believes the Uruguayan's reputation goes before him.

The England full-back has watched the incident with Valencia countless times and with each viewing his sense of hardship grows.

"I've watched it 50 times in there, not that I needed to - it's not a penalty," said the 28-year-old.

"I didn't touch him. I collided with Pepe, I didn't touch Valencia at all.

"The referee told me he had to give it. He thought I touched him. There was no point me arguing with him on the pitch afterwards because he had already given it.

"It's so frustrating because I've not touched him.

"It's cheating at the end of the day. You don't expect people to do that. This is one of the best leagues in the world and you've got people doing that."

Liverpool played over 50 minutes with 10 men at Anfield and despite their numerical disadvantage, took the lead just after half-time when captain Steven Gerrard struck.

United would equalise through Rafael but the home side remained positive and thought they had made a breakthrough when Suarez went down after Evans appeared to have tripped him in the area.

Referee Halsey thought otherwise, however, and Johnson believes his team-mate is being unfairly treated.

Such is Johnson's disappointment in the officiating from Sunday that he believes had it been Suarez who tumbled in the area, as Valencia did, then the Reds would not have won a penalty.

"I almost guarantee that if you flip it and Luis was the one who I was chasing and it's exactly the same situation with Luis rather than Valencia, then it wouldn't have been a penalty," he said.

"We all know that. Reputations go in front of people at times.

"Maybe because Valencia isn't a known diver maybe that's why he got the decision. I know it's difficult for the referee when players are sprinting as fast as they can but in the big games those decisions are the difference.

"We expect referees to make the right decisions because we are working as hard as we can to win the game. To have it taken away like that, I can't explain it.

"Everyone has to do their job. They have to forget who they are looking at and make the decisions, not let anything from the past influence their decision. They have to call the shots at the time regardless of who it is."

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/09/24/glen-johnson-accuses-antonio-valencia-of-cheating-to-win-penalty-which-led-to-man-united-s-victory-over-liverpool-fc-100252-31899501/#ixzz27RnwMjVn
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,327 posts | 181 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1980: Sep 25, 2012 04:16:43 am
      I think he's a really smart person. The way he talks is very incisive without being disrespectful. Would've made a fine politician, but I think he's just too smart for that. Will make a good coach someday. Anyway, well done Glen. I don't usually post this at the end of every post, but in this case I really mean it: YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1981: Sep 25, 2012 06:10:14 pm
      Great that he's standing up for himself in the press. Good on you Glen!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,106 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1982: Sep 25, 2012 06:23:18 pm
      Well in Johnno son
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1983: Oct 06, 2012 12:34:30 pm
      Has being one of our better players this season.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #1984: Oct 06, 2012 03:21:06 pm
      Think you had better watch his last two games again mate, terrible.

He's been far from terrible mate. I agree with Corbally.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1985: Oct 06, 2012 03:58:28 pm
      One of them players where he makes one mistake & people are on him like flies on sh*t.

Been one of our best players this season, in my top 5 for sure. While playing primarily in his weaker position may I add.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1986: Oct 06, 2012 05:30:42 pm
      One of them players where he makes one mistake & people are on him like flies on sh*t.

Been one of our best players this season, in my top 5 for sure. While playing primarily in his weaker position may I add.
      Agreed mate, it's as though the player is expected to be faultless because of the quality of previous performances, maybe he's had one or two below par games but surely he has earned some patience.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1987: Oct 06, 2012 06:37:53 pm
      If your going to drop players on there last 2 performances could think of a few more id drop before Johnson. For example Enrique has being awful while Kelly is out for the season so who would you play ahead of Johnson.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1988: Oct 06, 2012 07:09:50 pm
       Has been our best player this season until Suarez has exploded in the last couple of weeks. Top player.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1989: Oct 06, 2012 07:19:38 pm
      Not gonna get into a debate unless anyone has actually analysed his performance as it's pointless.

I have mate, as I imagine every other person on this forum has whos watched us consistently this season.

As I said, hes been one of our best players. He made a costly mistake that lead to a goal on Thursday, but so did Coates & Gerrard. If you're going to pass judgement on players, and like you said "not single anyone out" then I would of expected you to hop in to their threads too & deliver similar criticism. But I doubt you have (Havent looked). It just seems whenever Glen is in a rich vein of form its barely recognized, yet whenever he makes a mistake hes set upon like no other player in the team.

Also, nowhere did I state our supporters "don't have the right to criticise", but if your making a statement such as "Johnson has been terrible", which could be deemed wide of the mark in the views of others, expect it to be questioned and debated, regardless of whether its your opinion or not.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1990: Oct 06, 2012 07:27:45 pm
      I have mate, as I imagine every other person on this forum has whos watched us consistently this season.

As I said, hes been one of our best players. He made a costly mistake that lead to a goal on Thursday, but so did Coates & Gerrard. If you're going to pass judgement on players, and like you said "not single anyone out" then I would of expected you to hop in to their threads too & deliver similar criticism. But I doubt you have (Havent looked). It just seems whenever Glen is in a rich vein of form its barely recognized, yet whenever he makes a mistake hes set upon like no other player in the team.

Also, nowhere did I state our supporters "don't have the right to criticise", but if your making a statement such as "Johnson has been terrible", which could be deemed wide of the mark in the views of others, expect it to be questioned and debated, regardless of whether its your opinion or not.

Agree with this 100%

Johnson has been fantastic this season, yes he came out completely asleep and without doubt cost us their first but to jump on his back because of that 1 moment (was a few mistakes in one to be honest) is extremely harsh and has to be balanced with his excellent play in other games. Thought he definitely could of done better in the attacking 3rd for us, but he'd also only just switched from the left for a few games, versatility, while being a massive asset must also be appreciated that people wont be at 100% their best when switched positions.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1991: Oct 09, 2012 12:40:20 pm
      After he was basically assaulted on the touchline on Sunday, Pulis praised him for getting straight back up.

It looked to me like he got straight back up with the intention of filling in the dirty c**t who charged him with a leading elbow but then thought the better of it and decided to just get on with the game.

He's been one of our best players so far this season. Yes he makes the odd mistake, but name me a player who doesn't.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #1992: Oct 09, 2012 02:56:37 pm
      Been very pleased with Glen this season. Like the way he goes about his job.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1993: Oct 20, 2012 05:18:52 pm
      My MOTM today. Always looked lively with the ball. Made things happened and could have had a goal or two as well.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1994: Oct 20, 2012 05:31:16 pm
      My MOTM today. Always looked lively with the ball. Made things happened and could have had a goal or two as well.

Completely, had a great game, outstanding at either flank and although some were drooling at Enrique coming on I don't think there's much to compare them Johnson is miles ahead of Jose for me.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1995: Oct 21, 2012 05:38:07 pm
      I'm wondering how long it will be before BR uses him as an out and out winger.

It looks to be on the cards after yesterday, when Enrique came on, and Johnson pushed further forwards.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1996: Oct 21, 2012 05:40:54 pm
      Edit: Having a moment :laugh:

Can't see Johnson as a winger. Johnson looks great when running onti a ball and overlapping a right mid/winger.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1997: Oct 21, 2012 05:46:32 pm
      Edit: Having a moment :laugh:

Can't see Johnson as a winger. Johnson looks great when running onti a ball and overlapping a right mid/winger.

I'd agree with that George, for me it's different being an "out and out" winger as to an overlapping attacking full back where you hit the ball at pace and usually in a doubling up two on one against their full back.

A "winger" needs a trick or two, the ability to go past a full back from a more standing start or in a one on one carrying the ball.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1998: Oct 21, 2012 05:47:50 pm
      I'd agree with that George, for me it's different being an "out and out" winger as to an overlapping attacking full back where you hit the ball at pace and usually in a doubling up two on one against their full back.

A "winger" needs a trick or two, the ability to go past a full back from a more standing start or in a one on one carrying the ball.

Pretty much spot on with that analysis and the exactly the same thing I say when the Johnson to winger talk arrives.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1999: Oct 21, 2012 06:16:40 pm
      Best full back in the league.

Has been for the past 18 months for me too.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2000: Oct 21, 2012 07:28:02 pm
      My MOTM as well. Playmaker.... from left back :laugh:

Quick Reply