Trending Topics

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 359908 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2530: Mar 23, 2014 01:59:59 am
      Another great performance from Glen, he's getting better with every game. I think he was involved in two or three of our goals today and offered so much more going down our right flank. As Scottbot has said about his prior game his positioning was excellent today as well, something I felt Flannagan on the other flank got wrong on numerous occasions (wasn't his best game for the young lad) and Johnson excelled going forward, again something Flanno needs to work on.

I've always rated Glen, I think he's a good footballer and equally good defender and he showed that again today.

Keep it up mate - still one of the best RB in the league.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2531: Mar 23, 2014 05:36:14 am
      Best on the pitch.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #2532: Mar 23, 2014 07:48:03 am
      Put in a near flawless performance. This is the level we need from him on the run in.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #2533: Mar 23, 2014 08:00:43 am
      Outstanding in an attacking and pressing sense today.

His ball for the 5th goal was sublime - I'm not sure there are 10 players in the league (in any position) with the ability to hit that ball off their wrong foot.

Delighted he's getting back - will confess I thought his legs had gone pre/post Christmas - looks like a thoroughbred again.

Good man Glen

Same as mate, made up he is recapturing the quality we knew was there, watching that 50 yarder to Suarez again and the accuracy is just F***ing uncanny.
      The nagging injury he was carrying for so long was affecting his performance very noticeably and it looks like the decision not to rush him back has paid dividends, keep on keeping on Glen.

manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #2534: Mar 23, 2014 10:36:36 am
      Johnson was indeed fantastic. Some Gerrard-esque passing, lots of energy and a constant attacking threat.

We all know that his propensity to go forward sometimes leaves gaps, but he is a much better defender than many people given him credit for

Super stuff again and great to have him back. Hilarious to recall many people claiming he would struggle to get his place back. As if. He's our best full back
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2535: Mar 24, 2014 11:26:29 pm
      Some cracking quotes from Brendan regarding Johnson in here:

Exclusive: Rodgers says new contract for Johnson a priority this summer

Brendan Rodgers is on a mission to keep Glen Johnson at Anfield as the Liverpool FC boss insisted: “He’s one of the best full-backs in the world.”

The England international’s future is uncertain as he has just one year left on his contract.

However, Rodgers has revealed that talks over a new deal will take place this summer and the manager is hopeful an agreement can be reached.

Johnson has been hampered by injuries this season but was back to his best in Saturday’s stunning 6-3 triumph over Cardiff City.

“We want to keep Glen here,” Rodgers told the ECHO.

“There is no question about that, especially now he’s in this form. He’s 29 and we feel that he has still got good years ahead of him.

“No contracts will be looked at until the summer but his will be a priority for us, especially if he continues in the form that he’s in.”

Johnson is one of the club’s top earners on around £110,000 per week but he turns 30 in August and it’s highly unlikely the Reds would be prepared to match those terms.

Whether the defender would be willing to accept a pay cut is also doubtful and Liverpool won’t want to run the risk of losing him for nothing in 2015.

Asked if Johnson’s age – coupled with his current salary – was likely to make discussions problematic, Rodgers said: “It just means you just have to sit, debate and discuss what’s best for the club and the player.

“The beauty of this is we want to keep Glen and Glen loves it here. We just need to find a solution which is good for both.

“If we can do that then the club will have a very good player for years to come.

“We have other players like young Jon Flanagan who only has one year left, while Jordan Henderson only has two years left.  They have been great and we want to look at those contracts.

“That’s something that will be for the summer. The players can do themselves no harm by continuing to play in the form they are in. The club will then take a close look at it.”

Rodgers believes Johnson’s performances for the title-chasing Reds in recent weeks have vindicated the decision to take him out of the firing line back in January.

The former Chelsea right-back missed six matches as he rested niggling ankle and groin injuries, which had hampered his form since the early stages of the campaign.

Johnson shone against Cardiff and Rodgers is looking for more of the same against Sunderland at Anfield tomorrow night.

“It’s been really difficult for Glen because he has wanted to give so much more,” Rodgers said.

“He has wanted to put himself out on the training pitch every day and play games but he was nowhere near 100% right. Of course when you put yourself out there you are getting judged.

“That is why we had to give him that time out.  There was no timeline on it. I just knew there was so much more to come from him.

“We needed to come together to find a way to get him back to his best. That meant taking him out in order for him to get back to that level.

“Now he’s feeling fresh and playing for the first time in ages without any injuries. Now you see that mobility and running power that he has.

“I thought Glen was outstanding against Cardiff. He showed his strength and power for Daniel Sturridge’s goal with how he executed that pass for Luis (Suarez).

“For our first goal, it was all about his running power without the ball and he put in a great cross for Luis.

“It’s important for me with how we play that the full-backs can get up, join in and make runs in behind. We are seeing now the player we all know Liverpool had – which is one of the best full-backs in the world.”

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2014 11:46:18 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2536: Mar 25, 2014 09:12:43 am
      Excellent read that - very enlightening.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #2537: Mar 25, 2014 11:17:07 am
      Very good read, I do like Glen a lot, very good player indeed
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2538: Mar 25, 2014 11:31:10 am
      He is the epitome of a modern day full back. Was so good to see him doing what he does best at weekend, making those runs beyond the opponents full back and getting the ball in the box. I'm hoping he stays, he's so effective at the role he plays in our team. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2539: Mar 25, 2014 11:59:47 am
      Cracking player, and I can only agree with Rodgers - one of the best of his position in the world.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2540: Mar 25, 2014 01:27:13 pm
      Cracking player, and I can only agree with Rodgers - one of the best of his position in the world.

When hes up for it. When hes not hes a head wrecker

Hope hes up for the 8 games left because he could play a vital role. I think at some point on the run in possibily against City or Chelsea when its tight hell provide the winning goal. Just a hunch
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #2541: Mar 25, 2014 01:41:17 pm
      When hes up for it. When hes not hes a head wrecker

Hope hes up for the 8 games left because he could play a vital role. I think at some point on the run in possibily against City or Chelsea when its tight hell provide the winning goal. Just a hunch

Looks as tho' our man is hitting form Brian just when we need him, every game seems to crank him up a notch.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2542: Mar 25, 2014 01:58:11 pm
      His original outlay was questioned but I tell you what it's been money well spent as Glen is quality through & through, I just love how he cuts in & pings the ball with his lefty.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2543: Mar 25, 2014 02:10:08 pm
      His original outlay was questioned but I tell you what it's been money well spent as Glen is quality through & through, I just love how he cuts in & pings the ball with his lefty.

Wasn't the original outlay off set by money Portsmouth owed us for Crouch?

Seems fairly prudent now seeing as most of their debts they ran up were never paid.

I've always rated Glen.. Yes he can have the odd off spell but he sets himself such high standards when he's on it that it looks obvious when he isn't playing well.

Arguably one of the most important roles in modern football is full back as they are relied upon to be an additional attacking threat as well as being defensively sound.. They get a lot of the ball going both ways.

There's not many better than Glen and I'd be happy if we do sort a renewal of his deal in the summer.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2544: Mar 25, 2014 02:23:59 pm
      Wasn't the original outlay off set by money Portsmouth owed us for Crouch?

Seems fairly prudent now seeing as most of their debts they ran up were never paid.

I've always rated Glen.. Yes he can have the odd off spell but he sets himself such high standards when he's on it that it looks obvious when he isn't playing well.

Arguably one of the most important roles in modern football is full back as they are relied upon to be an additional attacking threat as well as being defensively sound.. They get a lot of the ball going both ways.

There's not many better than Glen and I'd be happy if we do sort a renewal of his deal in the summer.

Yes mate , Portsmouth owed us the Crouchie fee, it's how we did buisness back then with the two thieves in charge, work with those who owe us..... * cough* Aquilani :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2545: Mar 26, 2014 05:15:51 am
      "It feels good to be back,” Glen Johnson told Liverpool’s official website before Saturday’s thrashing of Cardiff City. “No player wants to be missing matches through injury. I feel myself again.”

The right-back had been absent for six matches in all competitions for his Premier League title-challenging club between 18th January and 23rd February due to an ankle problem which he had been carrying for a large portion of the season.

But, since Johnson’s return in the 4-3 win over Swansea City in late February, the summer 2009 signing from Portsmouth has again been at his peak displays at full-back and has been a prominent member of Brendan Rodgers’ offensive-minded tactics and team set-ups. This will again be the case on Wednesday night when Liverpool take on Sunderland.

"When people see you playing,” Johnson added, “they assume you are fit, and then when you do not put in the performances that you are used to, people are wondering why. But it is part and parcel of the game, and you have just got to get through those periods."

Regardless of Johnson feeling his individual performances had not been up to scratch when he was playing with his injury, wins and, specifically, goals have not been hard to come by for a Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge-inspired Liverpool, who have 82 so far in the Premier League this season and are chasing down Chelsea's record of 103 in a campaign.

But it is also no coincidence that Rodgers’ side have scored 16 times in the top flight since Johnson’s return compared to 13 when he was unavailable in that period between January and February.

Johnson is one of the best attacking full-backs in the Premier League and is integral to the style in which Rodgers’ Liverpool operate. Rodgers has even gone as far as describing Johnson as one of the best full-backs in the world to give further indication of his value for Liverpool.

It is common for a full-back to be among the players with the most touches of the ball in any team and this is no different with Johnson, who had 100 touches against Cardiff in a total which was only less than Steven Gerrard (122) in that specific game.

However, it is what Johnson does with the ball that counts and that is a reason why weekend newspaper gossip was even linking him with Real Madrid.

In 21 appearances this season, the 29-year-old averages 48 passes per game in the Premier League, with only Lucas Leiva, Jordan Henderson and Gerrard averaging more in Liverpool’s squad. These passes have been played at an 83.2 per cent success rate, which is not anything particularly special, but he has also contributed two assists - including setting up the first goal of Suarez’s hat-trick on Saturday.

It is, though, in his ability to carry the ball forward in which Johnson truly excels. The sight of him rampaging up the right flank, quickly transferring defence to attack – particularly in Rodgers’ current diamond formation, has been a story of Liverpool’s season. Johnson averages 1.7 successful dribbles per game in 2013/14’s Premier League. That might not sound like a lot but only Suarez, Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho average more for Liverpool. Meanwhile, that total also puts Johnson in the Premier League’s top 20 players overall for that discipline this season.

Everton’s Seamus Coleman, meanwhile, is the only defender in the Premier League with a marginally better average at 1.8 successful dribbles per game. Coleman has also contributed six goals this season to Johnson's none but the latter has otherwise produced higher averages than his Merseyside rival in other major disciplines (see table below). Also, for all the criticism of Liverpool's defence this season, when Johnson has played Liverpool have conceded only more goal in the 2013/14 Premier League than the 25 Everton have let in when Coleman has been on the field.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9230206/liverpools-glen-johnson-has-become-integral-to-brendan-rodgers-tactics-in-the-premier-league

--------------

Glad the boss appreciates him. It's good to see him back in the team. Never understood the unappreciative nature of fans about Glen.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2546: Mar 26, 2014 06:16:29 am
      No one doubts his quality at his best. It's that sustained period which is frequent where he isn't at his best that is annoying. It's fundamental stuff, too - positioning and awareness.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #2547: Mar 26, 2014 12:12:08 pm
      It is reported that BR will make giving Glen a new contract his priority this summer.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2548: Mar 26, 2014 10:53:05 pm
      Not Glens best performance tonight just when we thought he was getting back to his best.
      Although he always offered a outlet there was absolute jack in his end delivery and probably best not to mention his passing.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2549: Mar 27, 2014 01:53:26 am
      When Glen is good, he is very very good.
      When he is bad, he is very very bad.
      When he is average and just having a normal performance he irritates the hell out of me.
      Yes he is available and pushes up and is keen for a shot but he often loses procession unnecessarily or dawdles so much and slows the game down drastically.
      That being said, i don't know of many Right FB that we could realistically get to replace and improve upon him
      And all those saying Micah Richards, yes he, on his day is a better defender but he too dawdles far too much on the ball.
      Glen has been great for us at times but if we want to fully impement flowing footy then i just don't see how he can be part of LFC's next chapter.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2550: Mar 27, 2014 01:56:40 pm
      When Glen is good, he is very very good.
      When he is bad, he is very very bad.
      When he is average and just having a normal performance he irritates the hell out of me.
      Yes he is available and pushes up and is keen for a shot but he often loses procession unnecessarily or dawdles so much and slows the game down drastically.
      That being said, i don't know of many Right FB that we could realistically get to replace and improve upon him
      And all those saying Micah Richards, yes he, on his day is a better defender but he too dawdles far too much on the ball.
      Glen has been great for us at times but if we want to fully impement flowing footy then i just don't see how he can be part of LFC's next chapter.

I disagree here. Richards isn't good tactically. He's an all around great athlete of course, but there's a reason Mancini dropped him en route to winning a league title.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #2551: Mar 27, 2014 02:02:20 pm
      Not Glens best performance tonight just when we thought he was getting back to his best.
      Although he always offered a outlet there was absolute jack in his end delivery and probably best not to mention his passing.

They really did park the bus on us last night, very deep and right in the middle so it was always going to be difficult for the full-backs to provide an end product. Our best moments last night generally came when we got the ball into the feet of our strikers and they were able to get turned in and around the wide areas of the box.

I like Glen, have always been a fan. I still believe you will always see the best of him in a 4-3-3 with a left footer playing in front of him to provide natural width and opportunities to get two on one with the opposing full-back. He isn't as effective with a player like Henderson playing narrow in front of him.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2552: Mar 27, 2014 06:40:55 pm
      To one of the best players on the pitch at the weekend, to one of the worst last night. When he's good he's brilliant, when he's bad he's proper sh*te.

Quick Reply