Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360262 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2668: Jun 15, 2014 09:58:39 am
      Continues to be utter sh*te for country as he was for Liverpool this season.
      It really puzzles me how BR and owl face kept/keep picking him when he offers nothing at the back or going forward.

Sadly I totally agree with you, the  more I see him play the bigger the liability he becomes.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #2669: Jun 15, 2014 10:21:45 am
      I can't quite work out what is wrong with Glen. Looks like he can't be arsed most of the time these days.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2670: Jun 15, 2014 10:35:26 am
      I can't quite work out what is wrong with Glen. Looks like he can't be arsed most of the time these days.
      Think that's it he's just not arsed.....truly appalling attitude and performances .
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #2671: Jun 15, 2014 10:39:32 am
      Italy don't let fullbacks just ghost past them. Unlike England where Rooney no support to Baines. Owls first 11 were good but his system wasn't and this subs showed he was just hoping for a bit of youthful invention.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #2672: Jun 20, 2014 01:07:30 am
      Watching England tonight reminded me more than ever that Glen is a piss poor defender.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2673: Jun 20, 2014 02:37:42 am
      He was rubbish.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3708 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2674: Jun 20, 2014 07:31:35 am

He was but he also remind us that he can cause damage. I think he is better as a winger
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2675: Jun 20, 2014 08:52:02 am
      He was but he also remind us that he can cause damage. I think he is better as a winger

Correct mate, he was instrumental in setting up the goal but for me he was playing out of his best position, as you say he could have done more damage out wide last night.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #2676: Jun 22, 2014 12:07:09 pm
      I actually thought he was our best player against Uruguay.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2677: Jul 17, 2014 04:56:55 pm
      He's had a generous amount of years here, I'd like to know a rating of him. Mine is 5 out of 10
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #2678: Jul 17, 2014 05:01:41 pm
      At he's best he's fantastic....at his worst he's not so good. Kind of like a lot of players. Problem is how do we get his best out of him more than his worst.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2679: Jul 17, 2014 09:57:33 pm
      Problem is how do we get his best out of him more than his worst.

His best days a long gone. Every player has a dip in form but he's had a good 2 seasons now of being sh*te.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #2680: Jul 31, 2014 02:39:32 am
      I don't know what's going on with him really.  He looked lazy tonight.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #2681: Jul 31, 2014 06:18:23 pm
      At he's best he's fantastic....at his worst he's not so good. Kind of like a lot of players. Problem is how do we get his best out of him more than his worst.

Consistency is the hardest thing to come by in every single sport. If anyone knew how to make players consistent, they would make major money. Some players are just naturally talented and consistent. Others are like roller coasters.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2682: Jul 31, 2014 06:29:22 pm
      I don't know what's going on with him really.  He looked lazy tonight.

He's like it every game. Want him gone.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2683: Jul 31, 2014 06:32:47 pm
      the side of the pitch he was on was awful. If we are going to have wingbacks playing so high up then he is definitely better in the opposition half.
      Our defence in general worries me.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #2684: Jul 31, 2014 07:16:22 pm
      Johnson was never as consistent and reliable as Finnan and Arbeloa.

I was always amazed a manager like Rafa who put so much emphasis on defending well paid so much money for a defender who was never great defending. Johnson used to be good going forward; nowadays he is neither.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2685: Jul 31, 2014 07:35:44 pm
      Johnson was never as consistent and reliable as Finnan and Arbeloa.

I was always amazed a manager like Rafa who put so much emphasis on defending well paid so much money for a defender who was never great defending. Johnson used to be good going forward; nowadays he is neither.

I remember one good period he had for Liverpool - when he was shifted to left back by Kenny at the start of 2011. That's it really. He has not justified £18m. He hasn't offered the standards that are to be expected for a club of Liverpool's stature. In time we will look back at our CL exodus and see that one of the reasons we couldn't get back in for so long was because of the thoroughly bang average nature of many of our players, and Glen Johnson typifies that. Good PL player but he has never consistent enough to be a Champions League player. That may sound harsh but I doubt there are few who would disagree.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2686: Aug 02, 2014 12:26:02 pm
      I remember one good period he had for Liverpool - when he was shifted to left back by Kenny at the start of 2011. That's it really. He has not justified £18m. He hasn't offered the standards that are to be expected for a club of Liverpool's stature. In time we will look back at our CL exodus and see that one of the reasons we couldn't get back in for so long was because of the thoroughly bang average nature of many of our players, and Glen Johnson typifies that. Good PL player but he has never consistent enough to be a Champions League player. That may sound harsh but I doubt there are few who would disagree.

I got a lot of stick for saying this for a long time. He's utter garbage except for flashes of brilliance that cover up the countless flaws in his game, but when he played left back I think he might of concentrated more and definitely performed better.

For now he'd be my starting left back and see how he goes. If he is still crap after a month he can definitely shift to the bench permanently.

One of the most overrated players I have ever seen. He is blessed to have zero competition other than Kyle Walker for England otherwise any decent player would be ahead of him for England too.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2687: Aug 03, 2014 01:53:16 pm
      Glen is the type of player you don’t realise what you’re missing until he’s not in the team.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2688: Aug 03, 2014 02:10:53 pm
      Considering he's been unavailable for an astonishing 30% of league games, since he joined us, the only times I truly missed him was when Skrtel covered at right back
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,909 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2689: Aug 03, 2014 03:45:44 pm
      Glen is the type of player you don’t realise what you’re missing until he’s not in the team.

Really? I can't seem to think of anything he offers expect width as he is right footed. Apart from that these days he offers little going forward and F**k all defensively.

I am going to struggle to be happy if i seem him start week in and week out for us this season, when he was made captain in a friendly even that pissed me off, he does nothing to warrant his starting position or the chance to be captain.

I don't see him finding his form again and deserving his place in our starting 11 but if he can prove me wrong ill be more than happy.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2690: Aug 03, 2014 03:53:29 pm
      Yeah "really"... according to Brendan.

I got distracted and didn't get finishing my post mate; that post should read - "Glen is the type of player you don’t realise what you’re missing until he’s not in the team." ~ Brendan Rodgers. Sorry.  :-[

Quick Reply