Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360282 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2760: Aug 26, 2014 11:29:37 pm
      It's not that Johnson is a bad player,  he just hasn't got what it takes anymore. Every players time comes when he isn't up to the job any longer at the top level.
      Johnson was good a few years back,  but his times up. Please go Glen, but thanks for the old days when you weren't sh*t.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #2761: Aug 27, 2014 10:34:56 am
      He's not at his best - but the reason he's on the pitch is BR is picking him, and thinks he's the best person for the job on the night.The abuse is way over the top - am sure he's aware of it, he seems to be the lightning rod whenever we don't do well.If he had made the mistake for the 1st goal last night, can only imagine what the reaction would've been. But cause it was Moreno, it was let go.

True but the problem is that he hasn't looked his best consistently over the past season. He looks disinterested too often, too many passes go astray and too many attacks break down with him. He looks lethargic and laboured a lot of the time and I just don't get the feeling he is giving it 100% every game. Every player has an off day, but his off days outnumber his on days, and that's what frustrates the fans more than anythign.

We won't be on Moreno's back as much as GJ's because the lad was up and down the pitch constantly. He was getting balls into the box, making last ditch tackles, determined to carry on when he could have easily received more treatment after twisting his ankle and he reminded me of a young Riise or dare I say a young Johnson.

We at LFC want 100% commitment every game. We would forgive occasional mistakes and some off days, and even change our mind completely about players (think Lucas) so long as we see pure hunger and desire to give everythign for the team. That is the crux of it for me, every player should have the desire and drive of Lucas and Hendo , but Johnson doesn't, which is what frustrates everyone. So he needs to go, I don't see it changing any time soon.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2762: Aug 28, 2014 06:03:24 am
      Glen Johnson insists he is relaxed about his contract situation despite looking increasingly likely to leave the club as a free agent at the end of the season.

more:
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fcs-glen-johnson-relaxed-7681670

He's relaxed about every situation which is why he's being fu**ed off.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #2763: Aug 28, 2014 08:45:44 am
      This thread is dark and full of terrors.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2764: Aug 28, 2014 09:18:56 am
      This thread is dark and full of terrors.

Full of terrors... like Johnson's defending.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2765: Aug 28, 2014 09:50:40 am
      Glen Johnson insists he is relaxed about his contract situation despite looking increasingly likely to leave the club as a free agent at the end of the season.

more:

sounds very much like he is on his farewell tour and running his contract down.I would ship him out on loan if he cant be sold and at least get some wages paid for him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2766: Aug 28, 2014 10:11:25 am
      sounds very much like he is on his farewell tour and running his contract down.I would ship him out on loan if he cant be sold and at least get some wages paid for him.

Loaning him out would be the ideal solution and Brendan has that in mind no doubt when the new lads bed in.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2767: Aug 28, 2014 12:11:17 pm
      Sickens me players like Johnson stealing a living at clubs not willing to take a pay cut when they're performances no longer warrant it. Prime example why clubs need well managed wage structures. Glad we have finally sorted out that side of the clubs running.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,203 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2768: Aug 28, 2014 11:02:21 pm
      Been a while since I took a disliking to a Liverpool player,hes pushing me to the limit though
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2769: Aug 28, 2014 11:16:39 pm

more:

Bang on the money that mate.

Wanders into central defence now when people doing his work. Any good hiding place eh Glen?

He's really irritated me for far too long now and is the first Liverpool player getting injured I think I've ever been pleased about (although I question the authenticity of that injury).

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2770: Aug 28, 2014 11:17:46 pm
      Was absolutely appalled with this guy's contribution in attacking situations on Monday night. Dilly dallied, stalled and lost the ball with pathetic attempts to cross or play the ball on the ground. A complete cock up this guy is in attack as well as defence.

To quote Malcolm Tucker, he's like that broken coffee machine at work - from bean to cup he fucks up!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2771: Aug 28, 2014 11:18:00 pm
      Wanders into central defence now when people doing his work. Any good hiding place eh Glen?

Was totally shocked when I saw him casually track back (as per there) and then instead of going into where he should be, he went and stood between Skrtel and Lovren!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2772: Aug 28, 2014 11:22:09 pm
      Was totally shocked when I saw him casually track back (as per there) and then instead of going into where he should be, he went and stood between Skrtel and Lovren!!

At first I thought he was trying to rotate with Stevie but the way he behaved while there just simply showed he was hiding more than anything. Happened on a few occasions too.

The thing with Glen that irritates most of us more than anything (I believe) is that we know underneath it all there's a decent player. Every time he gets the ball I have the recurring thought of "how you going to lose it now Glen?" Very rarely lets me down in that assumption.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2773: Aug 28, 2014 11:50:46 pm
      I think he has the ability to be a better player than his current form suggests, it's just he's lost all motivation to play and has his mind on anything other than football, even in the middle of a match he's jogging like he's on a beach going for a stroll.

The other thing that annoys me about Glen, is that he never makes runs down the flank to stretch the play, hardly ever swings in a cross, and when the other team breaks he's the last man to get into position when he's got less grass to travel.

When he has the ball, he slows down the game, it kills our attacks. Every. F***ing. Time. Whenever Glen has possession of the ball, he takes 4 or 5 unnecessary touches that allows the opposition to get back into position.

At least Moreno makes runs down the byline with pace giving us options, spreading the play and taking one or two touches, unlike Johnson who is just standing there static with his hands in his pocket.

When Johnson does get into his defensive position, he isn't that bad, it's just that opposing teams counter attack us with pace so they've exploited that space left by Glen before he can get back into position.

Hopefully Manquillo makes an impression and gets first team football until Johnson's contract runs out, I can't see us signing him on for another year.

Johnson probably thinks he can do F**k all and good old wheeler dealer Harry will still offer him 80k a week down at QPR.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2774: Aug 28, 2014 11:56:27 pm
      Full of terrors... like Johnson's defending.

Not even the Lord of Light could burn a match under this guys ass to get him to perform.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2775: Aug 29, 2014 12:29:56 am
      I don't think it's that he is just in a bad run of form, I think he just isn't a good player. If he had it in him to perform and still be a good player then we wouldn't have been in the 3rd season now of him being utter garbage. Personally think it' more a case of that when he was playing well he was just in good form rather than having the quality.

Form is temporary, class is permanent and he has been terrible for far too long for it to just be form that he is lacking.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2776: Aug 29, 2014 03:18:00 am
      I don't think it's that he is just in a bad run of form, I think he just isn't a good player. If he had it in him to perform and still be a good player then we wouldn't have been in the 3rd season now of him being utter garbage. Personally think it' more a case of that when he was playing well he was just in good form rather than having the quality.

Form is temporary, class is permanent and he has been terrible for far too long for it to just be form that he is lacking.

That was obvious since his Portsmouth days. When he attacks well, he looks superb but he's still F***ing crap in defence and always has been.  When he can't attack, he's a £110k/pw speed hump.

If he weren't English he'd be wallowing away in a mid-table Spanish club at best.

Never seen another fullback who can't defend, can't cross, can't dribble and can't track back on the money he's on.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2777: Aug 29, 2014 09:02:55 am
      Know that feeling when you get so engrossed in a certain aspect of a topic that you lose a general informed view of the true subject matter?
      Well Johnson being crap isn't one of those distraction feelings.
      I do recall 'tho the Glen Johnson of some years ago teararsing down the right wing after receiving the ball in our penalty area and slotting in a Roy of the Rovers goal.......that did happen didn't it?
      Had a few scoops last night and am not 100% just yet, normally it's about mid-day before it levels out.
      I just had a flashback about Glen............I better go and get another coffee this might take some levelling.   
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2778: Aug 29, 2014 09:58:50 am
      Anyone else out their feel like he should have tried heading that ball off the goal line for Jovetics' 2nd goal. Can't for the life of me understand why he'd try to lift his leg to stop it, when it would have been easier to head clear.  ???

Wish I could find a gif of it to support my arguement.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2779: Aug 29, 2014 10:04:22 am
      Anyone else out their feel like he should have tried heading that ball off the goal line for Jovetics' 2nd goal. Can't for the life of me understand why he'd try to lift his leg to stop it, when it would have been easier to head clear.  ???

It's Johnson that needs the support mate not you.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #2780: Aug 29, 2014 02:17:23 pm

yeah I wondered why he was raising his leg when his head is already up higher but I figured it was too quick for him to react. his arm was even up around there, should've stuck that out glen old boy.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2781: Aug 29, 2014 06:00:37 pm
      why didn't he save it and take the card.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2782: Aug 29, 2014 06:39:32 pm
      why didn't he save it and take the card.

Where's Suarez when you need him  ;D

Quick Reply