Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 360004 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2829: Oct 09, 2014 11:51:58 am
      Why all the hatred for our new full backs? Moreno is an upgrade on Enrique without a doubt and the same can be said for Manquillo replacing Johnson. For the past season or two there has been nothing but complaints made about Johnson's inability to look like he gives a sh*t what is happening, his shocking positioning, his inability to defend and his inability to now do anything in an attacking position.

Why do some people now want him in the starting 11 ASAP? I don't think Manquillo has been that bad at all and most certainly hasn't put in a shocking display like Johnson did constantly for a long period.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2830: Oct 09, 2014 05:34:56 pm
      Manquillo has not done bad and has a mean cross in him although I have not yet seen anyone get on the end of one to produce a goal

I expect this would be different had Sturridge not been injured. As it stands we rarely have anyone in the box to get on the end of his crosses.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #2831: Oct 09, 2014 07:16:24 pm
      Is anyone else a bit perplexed as to why we let Andre Wisdom go out on loan this season? It's quite possible that Jon Flanagan was the player at the forefront of the managers mind BUT the fact of the matter is that our options at the moment seem to be between a young lad who has (up until this season) had virtually no first team top flight experience or a veteran who has stunk up the joint for the past 12 months who has less than a year to run on his contract.

It's a worry. Young Manquillio has done quite well but he is very raw and probably needs another 12 months before he can be relied upon to be a regular starter in side with title pretensions, maybe longer. In fact the reason so many have been impressed with the lad is probably more a reflection of the 'it's an improvement on Johnson' thinking that we have all shared for some time now. The sooner out steady Eddie Flanno is back the better for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2832: Oct 09, 2014 08:35:13 pm
      Is anyone else a bit perplexed as to why we let Andre Wisdom go out on loan this season?

Not really. Don't think he was ever really settled playing for us (certainly never looked that way). It' a shame but I honestly can't see him making it with us.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #2833: Oct 09, 2014 09:11:39 pm

Not really. Don't think he was ever really settled playing for us (certainly never looked that way). It' a shame but I honestly can't see him making it with us.

I kinda figured the same but I would have him ahead of either of our RB options at this exact moment, wouldn't you?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2834: Oct 09, 2014 09:19:13 pm

I think Manquillo has a lot to learn in the premiership, that being said he has speed to burn, he has the technical abilities to improve himself...I am with Si on this one..I want him to start and grow with the rest of the back 4.

I think he has done damn good for a kid of 20 that just went to a new league, country and playing style.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2835: Oct 09, 2014 10:21:01 pm
      I kinda figured the same but I would have him ahead of either of our RB options at this exact moment, wouldn't you?

I'd have him ahead of Johnson but not Manquillo. I couldn't help but feel incredibly nervous whenever the ball went near Wisdom.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #2836: Oct 10, 2014 04:20:41 am
      Nothing strange about it at all.

Manquillo has been okay. Johnson can be better than okay. He can also be worse. However, his experience in the position he plays and the league in which he plys his trade is vital for a defense which is so porous at the moment. His positioning is also at lot better at the moment than Manquillo's too.

In fact, what is strange is advocating who should play where and when based on MoTD highlights, now that is strange.

Speechless

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,651 posts | 481 
      Reply #2837: Oct 10, 2014 11:34:39 am
      The last time Johnson tracked back was...  oh wait dont remember.His positioning is spot  on in..... wrong areas obviously.Well this much is already known so dont need to explain much.Manquillo hands down is better defensively than johno.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2838: Oct 20, 2014 09:01:16 am
      Loved his flying kick assault on Sandro probably the only thing he has done in the last 2 years.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2839: Oct 23, 2014 12:51:32 am
      Can't stand the sight of this lad in a red shirt anymore, a damn shame as I used to like the lad. The sooner he's gone the better for everyone.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2840: Oct 23, 2014 12:58:59 am
      Can't stand the sight of this lad in a red shirt anymore, a damn shame as I used to like the lad. The sooner he's gone the better for everyone.

Never wanted him at the club from day one. Always thought it was a ridiculous choice to let Arbeloa go, a defender that can actually defend first and foremost in order to have Johnson.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #2841: Oct 23, 2014 01:15:09 am
      Flanagan or Manquillo over Johnson now. Rodgers has got to realise this now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2842: Oct 23, 2014 01:16:40 am

Manquillo should never have been dropped tbh.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2843: Oct 23, 2014 01:40:03 am

Obviously Flanagan is streets ahead of the other two. He seemed to get the balance between attack and defend just perfect. A damn shame about his injury. A local lad who played fearlessly - we needed more of that tonight. Yet the only homegrown player was Gerrard - shocking.Yet more evidence that its imperative that we have a successful youth system as many of the homegrown lads have that fearless desire about them and don't capitulate like Arsenal when under attack - which is what we were like tonight.

Manquillo - decent defender, but his attacking play leaves a lot to be desired. One thing about Johnson is that he does drift inside, offering numbers in attack. You can see why Rodgers likes him for this. But although he can do that, surely there are hundreds of better full backs who play in this style than Johnson?

Manquillo has a tendency to go all '"The Chosen One"' and just stick to the wing and cross in, providing pretty useless attacking ability. And we sure as hell don't need any Moyesy style players here.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #2844: Oct 29, 2014 09:29:44 am
      Which Liverpool Star Has Been Told He Can Leave Anfield?

​Glen Johnson has been told he can leave Liverpool in the summer as the club will not look to renew his contract, according to ​Goal.

​​The experienced right back has come in for criticism over the last few months for poor performances for the Reds, and it appears now that manager Brendan Rodgers does not deem the player an essential part of his future squad.

Johnson is said to want around £120,000-a-week in his next deal, a figure the Liverpool boss is not prepared to part with for someone who isn't even guaranteed a first team place. The Reds have already secured a two-year loan deal for Spanish full back Javi Manquillo and have high hopes for Jon Flanagan, who is currently out injured.

30-year-old Johnson has been at Liverpool since joining from Portsmouth in 2009, but his Anfield tenure is set to end next summer after the revelations.

​​Turkish giants Galatasaray are considering offer the player a deal in January, though the move would likely take place next summer when his contract expires. Clubs from abroad are able to discuss pre-contract agreements with players six months ahead of a deal's expiration date.

Johnson has made 177 appearances for the Reds to date, scoring eight goals during his time with the club.

I don't get this. Johnson clearly better than Manquillo and Flanigan. £120k/week is high though
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2845: Oct 29, 2014 09:55:33 am
      I don't get this. Johnson clearly better than Manquillo and Flanigan. £120k/week is high though

Is he really better than the two mentioned?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #2846: Oct 29, 2014 10:11:07 am

Rather think the manager feels obliged to field Johnson in an effort illustrate to anyone interested that the player is not a total waste of F***ing time.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #2847: Oct 29, 2014 10:18:38 am

Have you not watched Johnson for the last three seasons?

He's muck.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,651 posts | 481 
      Reply #2848: Oct 29, 2014 02:24:31 pm
        :angry-smiley-034: :angry-smiley-034:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2849: Oct 29, 2014 02:54:06 pm

Oh dear!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #2850: Oct 29, 2014 03:31:57 pm

We're way off April 1 lad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #2851: Oct 29, 2014 04:03:25 pm
      So were letting Glen gang around to run his contract down.

Should have been moved on in the summer if that's the case.

Quick Reply