Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 358652 times
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2116: Apr 07, 2013 03:30:35 pm
      He needs to stop standing 10 yards away from the crosser all the time.

I don't think he's blocked a cross since January.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2117: Apr 07, 2013 03:33:04 pm

This. Really pisses me off that when the opposition team is attacking down his flank one of either Carragher, Agger or the midfielders has to do the defensive work because he's straying inside to the middle following a F**k up (ie losing the ball) he most likely caused in the attacking third. Got to be honest, I thought he was naff today.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #2118: Apr 07, 2013 03:39:21 pm
      Think he needs a prolonged rest, he's had a good season but recently he's been pretty awful.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2119: Apr 07, 2013 03:50:14 pm

Actually, Enrique has the exact same problem as well. Watch the Tottenham highlights again and you'll see Jose give Bale tons of space to cross. Both of them fail to close down their man far too often.

As for Johnson, today he was sort of blah. He wasn't good, but he wasn't really terrible either. He's had a good season, but right now he's been in a bad funk of about 5-6 games.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #2120: Apr 07, 2013 05:46:12 pm
      Something is up with the lad. I think maybe Rodgers is holding him back in fear of our center halves lately.

If not, he's just not himself. Injury, maybe.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2121: Apr 07, 2013 06:13:34 pm
      Something is up with the lad. I think maybe Rodgers is holding him back in fear of our center halves lately.

If not, he's just not himself. Injury, maybe.

There has to be something wrong for sure. He was actually outstanding until mid February(ish) and then he has been poor ever since. I'd rather believe he is having a poor run of form than he was overachieving at the start of the season.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #2122: Apr 08, 2013 08:23:28 am
      May be he went on a purple patch for some time at the start of the season and now back to his normal self?. He was never a good defender but good going forward, even though will get only 2 or 3 goals plus assist a season.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #2123: Apr 28, 2013 11:22:23 am
      I still think he's struggling.

At the moment he's looking like the weakest link of our starting 11
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2124: Apr 28, 2013 12:01:55 pm
      Definitely a worry is Glen. Not playing well at all. Sloppy and to casual in both defense and attack
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2125: Apr 28, 2013 09:44:17 pm
      Agreed foar. Thought he was our only liability yesterday. Continually out of position and every time he got the ball, he passed it straight to them. Frustrated the F**k out of me.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #2126: Apr 29, 2013 03:28:28 am
      Place was at the bench if Kelly stayed fit for the season.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2127: Apr 29, 2013 04:31:01 am
      This lad is clearly on holiday mode.

Would grant his wish stick him on the bench give Andre a run.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #2128: Apr 29, 2013 10:05:30 am
      Place was at the bench if Kelly stayed fit for the season.

At the present time I'd agree with you, has been poor last month or so but before that he was in top form.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #2129: Apr 29, 2013 10:25:00 am
      Very disappointed in Glen.

He was in my top three players of the season for us a while back but his recent form has been dreadful.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #2130: Apr 29, 2013 01:47:50 pm
      At the present time I'd agree with you, has been poor last month or so but before that he was in top form.
      Very disappointed in Glen.

He was in my top three players of the season for us a while back but his recent form has been dreadful.

Yeah I'd have to agree with both of these. His last good game was at Wigan. He was pretty much top quality for the majority of the season though, he's just hit a really bad patch of form over the past month or month-and-a-half. Fortunately for us, it hasn't really cost us anything.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2131: Aug 13, 2013 01:45:36 pm
      Think Glen might be the next casualty of the 'high wages' clearout.  He's one of the older, big earners whose contract runs out summer 2015. 

If Kelly does well, with no injurys then I can see him going in January.  I can't see us allowing his contract to run down and letting him go on a free when we can still get something for him.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2132: Aug 13, 2013 02:06:31 pm
      I reckon he's learning Spanish so that he can get one last big move to Spain, could see him going there this summer for around 5mil which is a good price considering his age,wage,form.

i reckon he will give it his all this season to get his profile up whilst his agent is looking for a deal in Spain, tbh he's given us a good few seasons and is fantastic attacking but his defending lets him down considering he's a defender.  We all would love to see him in front of kelly to make the right solid but with BR new style of play that wont work.

think Kelly needs an injury free season with a good 15-20games consistantly to be considered as 1st choice rb also wisdom needs to work on his shooting and crossing to be 1st choice but both fanstatic prospects
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2133: Aug 13, 2013 02:08:57 pm
      Think Glen might be the next casualty of the 'high wages' clearout.  He's one of the older, big earners whose contract runs out summer 2015. 

If Kelly does well, with no injurys then I can see him going in January.  I can't see us allowing his contract to run down and letting him go on a free when we can still get something for him.
      Totall agree i reckon if  he looses his place once to Wisdom or kelly he will struggle to get it back and eventually will be forced out think Gerrard and Kolo will be the only over 30s in our squad which to be fair is ok by me, you need pace and energy along with experiance and the rate we are pushing out under 20s we will be sorted in 2seasons as all our "kids" (sterling, Coutinho, Ibe, Wisdom,) will be classed as experianced along with Alllen and hendo
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #2134: Aug 14, 2013 01:47:02 pm

Probably. But I think Glen is just keeping the RB spot warm for Ryan McLaughlin. Once Ryan's ready to start making senior appearances, Glen is gone. My guess would be West Ham, actually, and not just because we're selling everyone there :laugh: but because that's where he got his start and you can tell the Hammers are still special to him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2135: Aug 14, 2013 02:06:46 pm
      Probably. But I think Glen is just keeping the RB spot warm for Ryan McLaughlin. Once Ryan's ready to start making senior appearances, Glen is gone. My guess would be West Ham, actually, and not just because we're selling everyone there :laugh: but because that's where he got his start and you can tell the Hammers are still special to him.

Not just Ryan but Kelly also, specially with the boss preferring Andre at CB.  Ryan is definitely one for the distant future, Kelly is the near future if his legs hold out.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #2136: Aug 14, 2013 02:08:16 pm

Possibly.

Ryan has a big future ahead of him from what I've seen.

Apparently he played a part in the behind closed doors game?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2137: Aug 15, 2013 12:50:46 am
      I don't think Ryan will make it myself, at least based on what I've seen of the lad over the past season
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2138: Aug 15, 2013 01:06:57 am
      Possibly.

Ryan has a big future ahead of him from what I've seen.

Apparently he played a part in the behind closed doors game?

Him and Teixeira mate.

Do think we need to be planning for life without Glen. His standard in pre-season appears about the same as how he finished last year and that simply wasn't good enough.

I've been a Glen fan but he is becoming a liability and in this system, which should suit him more than any other, that's a worry. Granted he'll still score a couple of left foot screamers, but it's not enough for what he lacks in recovery or simple defending these days and his end product seems to revolve around him having a shot. It's not only predictable, it's boring to watch, every time he gets near the byline market by 2 he tries the chip between them both and it's got to the point even a blind man would know what he's going to do next.

While Kelly doesn't look near ready for a return to first team action yet I think Johnson will get the nod but I hope as soon as Martin is up to speed he gets his place in the first XI. As for McGlaughlin, I think he'll be an excellent player in time, but not just yet, a year or so too early for him in my opinion.

Quick Reply