Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

Who would you want to replace Xabi?

Read 35556 times
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Who would you want to replace Xabi?
      Jun 30, 2009 02:05:28 pm
      With all this speculation of Xabi going to Real and there is a fat chance of him going there,who would you want to replace him?No doubt he is a class mid fielder but no player is irreplaceable.

If we get 30-40 million for him i would use that and TRY lure Xavi from Barca.

Any other good enough players to fill Xabi's boots out there?
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2009 03:28:29 pm by JD »
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Re: Who would you want to replace Xabi?
      Reply #1: Jun 30, 2009 02:15:36 pm
      Wasn't Javi Martinez's name being branded about? Can't say I know much about him, though.

I would like to try and sign Villa for £40m+ if we get that sort of figure for Alonso cos that would mean Gerrard could slot back into Alonso's place in Midfield, with Villa partnering Torres upfront.

Thats just mouth-watering.  :o
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #2: Jun 30, 2009 02:17:49 pm
      Xavi from Barcelona - you've got to be kidding me. He's going to cost us a bomb, he's 28 years old and he's one of the best players in the world. With 30 million, no chance. I think Barca would only consider the offer if its double of that, but do you think Xavi would want to move when the likes of Messi and Iniesta are playing alongside him?

I'll go for someone from Real, Gago or Sneijder maybe. Think they're quality. Maybe Felipe Melo? Thought he was boss at Confederations.

I feel we don't need Villa, excessive because we've got Gerrard behind Torres which is one of the best partnerships in the world. I personally feel Villa is the selfish kind of player that goes for his own glory, don't feel we need him anyway. He's one of the best strikers but 40million on somewhere we are rather sorted with, would rather spend money strengthening other areas IMO.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Jun 30, 2009 02:22:25 pm
      Only player on the same wavelength as Xabi is Xavi Hernandez of Barcelona.

I don't see the Villa-Torres partnership as lethal as the Gerrard-Torres partnership. Rarely even see both of them Spanish lads exchange passes for Spain.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 30, 2009 02:23:34 pm
      Xavi from Barcelona - you've got to be kidding me. He's going to cost us a bomb, he's 28 years old and he's one of the best players in the world. With 30 million, no chance. I think Barca would only consider the offer if its double of that, but do you think Xavi would want to move when the likes of Messi and Iniesta are playing alongside him?

I'll go for someone from Real, Gago or Sneijder maybe. Think they're quality. Maybe Felipe Melo? Thought he was boss at Confederations.

I feel we don't need Villa, excessive because we've got Gerrard behind Torres which is one of the best partnerships in the world. I personally feel Villa is the selfish kind of player that goes for his own glory, don't feel we need him anyway. He's one of the best strikers but 40million on somewhere we are rather sorted with, would rather spend money strengthening other areas IMO.
      Agree with what you saying,we shouldnt waste the money we get from Xabi on a striker,we need a big player to fill in Xabi's position.Dont you think Xavi would rather play with the likes of Gerrard and Torres(Best players in the world).If Real can pick up Kaka for 50 million im sure we could get Xavi for around the 40million mark.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 30, 2009 02:27:48 pm
      If Xabi were to go, there is no doubt people would love to have somebody like Xavi or Iniesta to replace him. But in this place called reality, it's not going to happen.

The main qualities Xabi possesses and gives our team the extra dimension is his varied range of passing combined with his accuracy and to some degree his ability to get stuck in in nitty gritty games. Not to mention decent long shots and set pieces. So in order for someone to replace him properly they need to possess these qualities at the level Xabi has IMO. If we were going to buy somebody to replace Xabi like for like.

Having said that, there aren't any realistic names that spring instantly to my mind that could do what he does so well for us. We all have the dream players we want to replace him but none i can think of that we'd be able to get in this day and age. Therefore it could well be worth looking for somebody in a different position and slightly rejigging the team.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 30, 2009 02:30:55 pm
      What about Landon Donovan from the USA,very impressive player.Although i think he is more of an attacking mid fielder and not a holding mid fielder like Xabi,and we could get him for about 10million or so
      Glory_of_anfield_road
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 30, 2009 02:35:56 pm
      Silva all the way £25-£35 Million. Throw Villa in for an extra fiver and the player exchange of our Swiss sensation Philip Degen, how could Valencia resist  :lmao:
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #8: Jun 30, 2009 02:38:33 pm
      What about Landon Donovan from the USA,very impressive player.Although I think he is more of an attacking mid fielder and not a holding mid fielder like Xabi,and we could get him for about 10million or so
      Its not April the 1st is it.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 30, 2009 02:46:52 pm
      Whats wrong with him?i honestly think his a good player
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2009 03:01:47 pm
      Xabi is unreplacable!!
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Re: Xabi Alonso urges Liverpool FC and Real Madrid to sort out his future
      Reply #11: Jun 30, 2009 03:02:49 pm
      I was asking dunlop liddell shankly  as he said what basically amounted to selling Xabi I was not trying to start a new thread mucho's gracias ;D
      Sorry didn't realise , but while were on the subject someone get me a de loreon, a flux compassitor and i'll grab a young Molby from the eighties only then should we sell Alonso
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #12: Jun 30, 2009 03:06:42 pm
      thats your opinion goldton,but the reality is he might go.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Jun 30, 2009 03:07:30 pm
      Sorry didn't realise , but while were on the subject someone get me a de loreon, a flux compassitor and I'll grab a young Molby from the eighties only then should we sell Alonso

Ha funny you should say that I was watching britains greatest machines last night and they had the original de-lorean on from back to the future ....

Anyway back on topic I would not listen to offers at all for Xabi unless he handed in a transfer request, then if he did I'd have a bid on Javi Martinez.

Personally tho I would not sell why break up the spine of our team and Alonso did say "He would not be too unhappy to stay here"
      koptie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 30, 2009 03:07:44 pm
      snider
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6973 
      Reply #15: Jun 30, 2009 03:25:12 pm
      Sorry didn't realise , but while were on the subject someone get me a de loreon, a flux compassitor and i'll grab a young Molby from the eighties only then should we sell Alonso

I don't think you're allowed to accelerate to 65mph in a built up area anymore so there goes that idea.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      Reply #16: Jun 30, 2009 03:25:33 pm
      who would you buy as an able replacement for Xabi ?

We won't buy a like-for-like replacement of Xabi. It's as simple as that. We won't do that because nobody else, who we could afford. can do what he can do. It's more than likely that if he goes, Lucas will be asked to fill the gap and we spend the money on the left winger we need. Or we'll sign a different type of central midfielder, the box-to-box midfielder. But either way, it won't be a like-for-like when Xabi goes.

One player who a mate has said we should look at is Van Bommel. He said with his experience he could just add that bit of Gary Mc like solidness.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #17: Jun 30, 2009 03:36:09 pm
      I'd have to go for Javi Martinez he's a basque player just like Alonso he would be of similar age as to when Alonso arrived i think that there is 2 years between them. He's a good passer of the ball with good vision and technique and heres where the similarities end.

He is a lot taller than Xabi  round about 6"3 has a great engine a very much box to box all action kind of player very strong in the tackle and has a psychical presence about him very similar to Gerrard in his younger days. He played 32 games for Athletic last season scoring 5 times.

If i remember rightly when we were linked with him in 2007 it was reported he had a 17.1 million buy out clause in his contract. I do not know if that is the case now but it if it is it would not be a bad bit of buisness and would leave money to strengthen other areas also. He's far from the finished article but he has loads of potential and will perhaps go on to emulate everything Xabi has done here if he was Signed.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Jun 30, 2009 03:37:30 pm
      Ok. There are many class midfielder out there. Like Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, De Rossi and you name it. But all them are good in different way than Xabi. And vary few of them are in Liverpool's price range. Even if we sell Xabi, we only gonna get about £30m max. I don't want replace Xabi with a striker or a attacking midfielder. It will kill the style of our football. If Xabi goes, I wouldn't mind Rafa try out De Rossi tho. A all-round midfielder, young and more possible than the rest IMO. But he is Italian :(. You never so sure about them in England.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: Jun 30, 2009 03:46:13 pm
      Wouldn't mind a bit of Pirlo personally.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2858 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Jun 30, 2009 04:51:20 pm
      To replace Xabi Id want Sneidjer Van der Vaart and 10 million
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #21: Jun 30, 2009 05:10:26 pm
      What about Landon Donovan from the USA,very impressive player.Although I think he is more of an attacking mid fielder and not a holding mid fielder like Xabi,and we could get him for about 10million or so

Landon Donovan as a talented player he is would not cut it in the Premiership and he doesn't want to leave LA in the first place, there isn't anyway for him to surf :D

As far as a replacement I do think Rafa will invest some funds into a new CM, would love to see him go back to Brazil and buy Hernanes from Sao Paulo, though had a tough start to the Brazilian league this guy is quality and is ready to make the up across the pond. As far as European players, I know we been linked with Cana who is a very good player or as someone said above Melo who in the past year really come on as a CM.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #22: Jun 30, 2009 05:30:39 pm

:lmao: No way!!

The reason hes still playing in the states is because he couldn't cut it in Europe. If my memory serves me correctly he spent some time with Bayer Leverkusen and couldn't cut it there, so theres no way he would here. He would be as useful as a one legged Andrea Dossena.

Not that ive seen much of Javi Martinez, but id see him as a decent buy. I hope it doesnt come to this though :(

Quick Reply