The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 705977 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Ā© Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: The Best Film You Have Seen Recently
      Reply #253: Jun 08, 2008 10:49:04 am
      My dad was a big fan of westerns - his favourite was Pale Rider - he loved Clint Eastwood and hated John Wayne, he always called him the singing cowboy! :D He liked his westerns gritty and realistic, after all people living in the "wild west" were often cruel, driven by greed, and not the romantic characters idealised in many earlier films.

In the film Eastwood plays the "pale rider", symbolic image of death who was said to ride a pale horse. His identity in the film remains a mystery, and the supernatural aura surrounding him continues throughout the film. Classic!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #254: Jun 08, 2008 10:55:18 am
      Rush Hour 3. Absolute fanatic over the Rush Hour films, 1 remains my favourite but this is one classy movie and so funny!

Superbad also, remains a favourite. Some others might not like it but its set around my age so its funny to me.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #255: Jun 08, 2008 12:15:24 pm
      300, enjoyed it enormously, from the moment it opens with the guy telling his story he draws you in with a documentary style of the Spartans and it's greatest war leader.It had it all, the myths the treachery, and a foe with enormous power and all through the story teller keeps you focused on the war and their woman who wait for the outcome of the battle. Their are other powers at work and the teller keeps you focused to it's conclusion. Doing it in B/W with very little colour adds to the darkness that's descending on the Spartans...300 not every ones cuppa but I loved it, fantastic film....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #256: Jun 08, 2008 12:17:26 pm
      Ohh i love 300. Great movie. The storyline is awesome and their fight is even better.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Ā© Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #257: Jun 08, 2008 12:33:08 pm
      300 is class, what a great film! Absolutely loved it! You can tell it was from a comic strip, the images are wonderful, and I loved the fact we can tell it's going to be tragic but feel for the characters anyway. It was like watching a mixture of Braveheart and Gladiator, with baddies taken from HR Geiger's worst nightmares. The ending is great too, where the Spartan armies are "only" outnumbered 3 to 1 and we know they're going to massacre the Persian army in front of them!  ;D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #258: Jun 08, 2008 12:45:07 pm
      Watched team america on C4 last nite, i never get tired of it :lmao:
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #259: Jun 08, 2008 01:03:20 pm
      I'm looking forward to 'Prince Caspian' - the sequel to  " The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe", my favourite book as a kid !! 

Release date 27th June 2008  ;)   

My favourite book and film was written by C S Lewis' pal, J.R.R. Tolkien. Lord of the Rings FTW.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #260: Jun 12, 2008 08:38:11 pm
      If your films don't have to be gung ho and you quite enjoy an element of Black humour then make sure you watch ā€˜In Brugesā€™ with Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell (and a nice cameo from Ralph Fiennes).

The two main actors really do work well together and Farrell especially has pulled a good performance out the bag playing a hitman sent to the ā€˜sh*tholeā€™(his words) Bruge after a hit goes wrong to await further orders from their gangster boss back in London(Fiennes). Whilst Gleeson is suitably impressed with all the city has to offer Farrell is bored out of his mind in the quiet Flemish city reflecting on the messed up hit.

I really enjoyed this film and although Gleeson was his usual good self i cant get over how much Farrell impressed, be warned though although it moves interestingly slow there are some brutal scenes as well (look out for the restaurant and the ā€œthatā€™s for John Lennonā€ scene). don't want to spoil the plot so give it a go and see what you think.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #261: Jun 12, 2008 09:52:53 pm
      Went and saw You Don't Mess With The Zohan last night, bloody weird movie but still had me in fits none the less.

Thought Iron Man was pretty good as well.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #262: Jun 15, 2008 05:39:40 pm
      Not sure what it was called but it was about a guy from new yourk who goes to university on the coast. He gets into gampling and gets really rich and in the end looses it all. But I really liked the movie and I dont no why, I couldnt look away ;D

Don't know, but there's no point watching it now anyways! :D

I watched Beavis and Butthead Do America this morning! Think it's up there with Anchorman, Dumb and Dumber, Superbad and Knocked Up for being the funniest film I've seen! :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #263: Jun 18, 2008 12:20:09 am
      'In Bruges'

Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson.

Saw it at an 'indy' cinema.  Worth a few quid of anyones money IMO.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #264: Jun 18, 2008 01:25:52 am
      'In Bruges'

Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson.

Saw it at an 'indy' cinema.  Worth a few quid of anyones money IMO.

FACT? Heard this a is a boss film. And haven't been to fact for ages.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #265: Jul 05, 2008 11:09:37 am
      FACT? Heard this a is a boss film. And haven't been to fact for ages.

I've never been! :( Might change that soon though. Don't they serve ale in there too?

Went to see Hancock lastnight. Took the missus lastnight to a later showing (was in work until 9 bells) and it was chokker! :D

Some people clapped at the end as well, which is a first :D Highly recommended!
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #266: Jul 05, 2008 11:12:51 am
      And my mate was saying last night about the terrible reviews it got. I said to him "no matter how bad they say it is, if will smiths in it, it'll be good"
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #267: Jul 05, 2008 11:16:06 am
      And my mate was saying last night about the terrible reviews it got. I said to him "no matter how bad they say it is, if will smiths in it, it'll be good"

Exactly! I challenge anyone. Name a flop he's been in (barring Wild Wild West of course. Best part about that film was the end credits! :D) There aren't any! :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #268: Jul 05, 2008 01:02:29 pm
      I've never been! :( Might change that soon though. Don't they serve ale in there too?

Yeah, they serve ale in there mate. Nice sofas, a pint and a good film. You should try it.

Gonna try see Hancock next week I reckon.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #269: Jul 05, 2008 01:20:48 pm
      Exactly! I challenge anyone. Name a flop he's been in (barring Wild Wild West of course. Best part about that film was the end credits! :D) There aren't any! :D

And Wild Wild West 2! but i choose not to see that ::)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #270: Jul 05, 2008 03:00:17 pm
      And Wild Wild West 2! but I choose not to see that ::)

Didn't even know there was one! :D If I knew, I'd have probably swerved it anyway! ;)
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #271: Jul 05, 2008 03:07:23 pm
      Speaking of good films, did anyone see Lord of War on BBC1 last week, its a great film
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #272: Jul 05, 2008 03:25:08 pm
      Speaking of good films, did anyone see Lord of War on BBC1 last week, its a great film

Was going to buy that the other day! :D Excellent film apparently, can't go wrong with Nicholas Cage either! ;)
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #273: Jul 05, 2008 05:25:04 pm

I said the same thing to the missus about Will Smith as we too are going to see Hancock tonight and have seen the bad reviews, but we are all our own critics and the end of the day.  Also speaking of Wild Wild West we went to Madame Tussuad's in May and I had the following photo taken (see below)

now I'm a big fan of his and love pretty much all the films he has done (except Wild Wild West), however I just don't think this waxwork is a true likeness of Will Smith.

What does everyone think?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #274: Jul 25, 2008 01:19:52 am
      Just saw Batman-Dark Knight......it is really good....its really well acted and the direction and stunts are 1st class BUT....there is something wrong. Its bugged the crap out of me but its A)Too long, B) the last half an hours story line is lack luster C) Christian bale does the batman voice to everyone whenever he wears the cape...even if they know that bruce wayne and batman are the same fella!
      Should have been made into 2 films.
      In Bruges is awesome.
      Bank Job is a little annoying though good.
      Wall-E is fantastic!
      Hamlet 2 is ok which pains me as I LOVE steve Coogan.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #275: Jul 25, 2008 01:48:31 am
      Just saw Batman-Dark Knight......it is really good....its really well acted and the direction and stunts are 1st class BUT....there is something wrong. Its bugged the crap out of me but its A)Too long, B) the last half an hours story line is lack luster C) Christian bale does the batman voice to everyone whenever he wears the cape...even if they know that bruce wayne and batman are the same fella!
      Should have been made into 2 films.
      In Bruges is awesome.
      Bank Job is a little annoying though good.
      Wall-E is fantastic!
      Hamlet 2 is ok which pains me as I LOVE steve Coogan.

Lester, when are you gonna talk football again!!? Where've you been?

Looking forward to seeing the Dark Knight though.

Hope all's well mate.

Quick Reply