Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699400 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4301: Jul 30, 2014 02:53:46 pm
      The Draft - Kevin Costner. While I had no real idea how the draft in American football worked and even less interest, it is good film which grabs your interest and is well worth watching. As with most sports films it is a bit corny but pulls it off well. Much better than "moneyball" 7.5/10 
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #4302: Jul 30, 2014 03:48:25 pm
      I liked the Mesrine films  with Vincent Cassel. Great actor.

Grand Budapest hotel is very talented film-making and the Italian film the Great Beauty takes some time to get into but is also worth watching.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4303: Aug 01, 2014 12:30:29 pm
      Marvel, please make this.

DEADPOOL Test Footage [HD]
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4304: Aug 03, 2014 01:28:32 pm
      Finally got round to watching "Bad Boy Bubby" after reading a post by the poster of the same name which prompted my memory.

I thought I'd seen it before, but no, this is not a film you forget watching.
      Very, very good indeed if you like your humour dark and disturbing.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4305: Aug 14, 2014 11:53:19 pm
      Another film long overdue a watch finally crossed off my list, Jackie Brown.  Glad I did, some cracking performances and in particular Michael Keaton, kind of always forget what a great and versatile actor he is.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4306: Aug 15, 2014 01:15:03 am
      Watched "They Might be Giants" this week. It tells the story of a guy who thinks he is Sherlock Holmes, and who happens to be attended to by a psychiatrist called Dr. Watson. It's funny, though not hilarious, and quite heartwarming.
      RedKennedys
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #4307: Aug 15, 2014 01:54:01 am
      If you like comedy a bit dark and occasionally sick, try Observe And Report. Ray Liotta at his manic best as a detective, trying to catch a flasher in a giant shopping mall so he can get in beauty store girl's pants. The only thing in his way is a barking mad security guard who wants to be a cop and get in same girl's pants first.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4308: Aug 15, 2014 01:38:59 pm
      Another film long overdue a watch finally crossed off my list, Jackie Brown.  Glad I did, some cracking performances and in particular Michael Keaton, kind of always forget what a great and versatile actor he is.

I think it's one of Tarantino's best, and I wouldn't argue if someone said it was THE best he's done.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4309: Aug 15, 2014 05:51:27 pm
      Inbetweeners 2 anyone? :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4310: Aug 15, 2014 06:28:47 pm

I think it's one of Tarantino's best, and I wouldn't argue if someone said it was THE best he's done.

Class film
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4311: Aug 15, 2014 06:55:53 pm
      Is it wrong that I'm sneakily looking forward to taking my lad to see the new Ninja Turtles movie when it comes out?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4312: Aug 15, 2014 07:01:58 pm
      Is Guardians of the Galaxy as good as everyone tells me?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #4313: Aug 18, 2014 06:39:28 pm
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4314: Aug 18, 2014 09:59:32 pm
      Was late watching it, but F**k me Captain America 2 is awesome, a must watch film for me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4315: Aug 18, 2014 11:51:01 pm
      Is Guardians of the Galaxy as good as everyone tells me?

Well, IIIIIIII'm Hooked on a feeling.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - "EXTENDED" 5 MIN. Clip (new) HD
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4316: Aug 29, 2014 12:38:41 am
      Just thought I'd go through the films lovefilm/amazon have sent me this month.

Gone Fishin' - Poor comedy that has a slight sparkle because Joe Pesci and Danny Glover have a good chemistry.

For Richer, For Poorer - Poor comedy that has no sparkle because Tim Allen and Kirsty Alley have no chemistry.

Swearing Allegiance - TV movie that's got a good (based on a) story behind it, whether it's worth watching, not so sure.

Starkid - Very poor film that seemed to be trying to launch a franchise or TV show.

Vegas Vacation - Possibly the weakest of the vacation films, few giggles but not much else.

Shadow Conspiracy - Awful, awful Charlie Sheen vehicle. 

Kiss The Girls - Nice and creepy, a bit silly by the end and I saw the twist coming, enjoyable nontheless.  Ashley Judd puts in a cracking performance.

Diary Of A Serial Killer - Until the last third this is a cracking film, lovely turns from Nick Nolte and Arnold Vosloo.  The last third just gets a little paint by the numbers and a little humdrum.

Truth Or Consequences, N.M. - Kiefer Sutherland stars and directs.  It's small in scale, but has a few notable performances, particularly Gallo & Williamson. Story has been told before, perhaps better, doesn't mean this ain't worth a watch.

Darkman III : Die Darkman Die - Schlocky nonsense, yet I like it, as bad as it is.

Princess Monoke - Beautiful to watch Japanese animation that puts an adult spin on Ferngully.

Liar - Tim Roth, Chris Penn and Michael Rooker put in great performances, but ifelt like I was watching a play and would prefer to see it that way. Not sure if it's based on a play though.

Bound - Modern take on a film noir, small scale, well worth a watch. 

The Jackal - I enjoyed it, Bruce Willis was top notch in this. Having said that, I'm not sure it's a good film.

The Peacekeeper - Dolph Lundgren at his worst/best, kind of shows why JCVD was the B-movie action star of choice in this dull film.

The Siege - Really good story, can't say I enjoyed the film at all though, excluding a great performance from Tony Shalhoub.

Armageddon - First time I've seen this.  Very entertaining piece of sh*t.  Think that about sums it up.  :)

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4317: Sep 06, 2014 02:24:22 am
      Just thought I'd go through the films lovefilm/amazon have sent me this month.

Gone Fishin' - Poor comedy that has a slight sparkle because Joe Pesci and Danny Glover have a good chemistry.

For Richer, For Poorer - Poor comedy that has no sparkle because Tim Allen and Kirsty Alley have no chemistry.

Swearing Allegiance - TV movie that's got a good (based on a) story behind it, whether it's worth watching, not so sure.

Starkid - Very poor film that seemed to be trying to launch a franchise or TV show.

Vegas Vacation - Possibly the weakest of the vacation films, few giggles but not much else.

Shadow Conspiracy - Awful, awful Charlie Sheen vehicle. 

Kiss The Girls - Nice and creepy, a bit silly by the end and I saw the twist coming, enjoyable nontheless.  Ashley Judd puts in a cracking performance.

Diary Of A Serial Killer - Until the last third this is a cracking film, lovely turns from Nick Nolte and Arnold Vosloo.  The last third just gets a little paint by the numbers and a little humdrum.

Truth Or Consequences, N.M. - Kiefer Sutherland stars and directs.  It's small in scale, but has a few notable performances, particularly Gallo & Williamson. Story has been told before, perhaps better, doesn't mean this ain't worth a watch.

Darkman III : Die Darkman Die - Schlocky nonsense, yet I like it, as bad as it is.

Princess Monoke - Beautiful to watch Japanese animation that puts an adult spin on Ferngully.

Liar - Tim Roth, Chris Penn and Michael Rooker put in great performances, but ifelt like I was watching a play and would prefer to see it that way. Not sure if it's based on a play though.

Bound - Modern take on a film noir, small scale, well worth a watch. 

The Jackal - I enjoyed it, Bruce Willis was top notch in this. Having said that, I'm not sure it's a good film.

The Peacekeeper - Dolph Lundgren at his worst/best, kind of shows why JCVD was the B-movie action star of choice in this dull film.

The Siege - Really good story, can't say I enjoyed the film at all though, excluding a great performance from Tony Shalhoub.

Armageddon - First time I've seen this.  Very entertaining piece of sh*t.  Think that about sums it up.  :)

Only seen Armageddon out of that list (I don't watch a great deal of films) and that was when I was about 13, 10 years ago. Not going to lie, I thought it was dreadful! I was half expecting a film as enjoyable as Independence Day

Took the time to watch Lincoln on DVD tonight. Those with an interest in history and politics will enjoy it, but those with an interest in the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln himself will see it as a vital accompaniment to those interests. Daniel Day Lewis is just an extraordinary actor and he showed that again. I struggle to think of anyone else who could have pulled of that role and the immense historical baggage that goes with it. He is extraordinary in portraying the stature and humbleness of the man. As well as Day Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones is just astounding as Thaddeus Stevens who stole every scene he was in. Along with Sally Field as Mary Lincoln (who like DDL, you find it impossible trying to see who could better the role) probably the most perfectly cast film I've watched. And credit to Steven Spielberg as well who once again proves his versatility as a director. He lets the surroundings and the actors do the work for him, without ever feeling the need to implement his directorial presence on the film and watching the film you understand why. The quality of acting throughout and the historical scale of the film was more than enough. To achieve itself as a worthy contribution to the inspection of that great man goes to show what a success it is. In every sense, I think it's a beautiful, beautiful film.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2014 03:04:48 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4318: Sep 06, 2014 03:41:18 am
      Waiting for the Equaliser with Denzel Washington. His movies are always top notch, great actor!
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #4319: Sep 06, 2014 08:06:56 pm
      Waiting for the Equaliser with Denzel Washington. His movies are always top notch, great actor!

One of my favorite actors. Have you seen Flight? I think he was great in it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4320: Sep 06, 2014 10:22:56 pm
      Watched Galaxy Quest again. Love the film. Loved one of the extras on the Bluray as well

GALAXY QUEST STARS RAP w/ Sam Rockwell, Sigourney Weaver
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #4321: Sep 13, 2014 12:41:54 am
      Watched Captain Philips last night while a tad stoned and i have to say that on second viewing it really isn't that great.
      The dialogue which doesn't involve Hanks or the main pirate is mostly clunky and too extrapolating.
      Alot of the camera work and lighting, especially when the scenes are in the US battle ships / air craft carriers / support boats is terrible and dated. It's as if they basically tried to emulate Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide....which good films are very much of the 90's in style and dramatic escalation.
      Also it's far far too jingoistic. Too much american propaganda.
      Shame on reflection as Paul Greengrass is a fantastic director.
      I am amazed it was in the Best Picture nominations list 2 years back.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4322: Sep 13, 2014 01:24:03 am
      Been watching Ken Burns' documentary about Baseball, which is divided in 9 episodes ("innings"). I've had it for quite a while but only now actually started watching it. It's been pretty good for me to learn a lot of new stuff about the sport.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4323: Sep 21, 2014 07:02:50 pm
      Watching The Commitments tonight. Knowing me, followed by The Van and The Snapper. :laugh:

Quick Reply