Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 705293 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4393: Nov 23, 2014 12:38:15 pm
      Well, if Guardians of the Galaxy or the Smurfs are more your kind of thing you might'nt like it.

;D

Gonna watch the Drop soon too.

Another one I saw was 'Walking amongst the Tombstones' or something like that with Liam Neeson. Average rainy day movie IMO.

I liked A Walk among the Tombstones! The only films I don't really like are any depressing ones... Jacob's Ladder a few years ago being perhaps among the worst. I try to avoid those though .... bit like watching Liverpool on a bad day.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4394: Nov 23, 2014 12:46:46 pm
      I liked A Walk among the Tombstones! The only films I don't really like are any depressing ones... Jacob's Ladder a few years ago being perhaps among the worst. I try to avoid those though .... bit like watching Liverpool on a bad day.

Loved Jacob's Ladder.  :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4395: Nov 23, 2014 12:48:19 pm

So did I mate, it just made me ill for about a month.

Predestination is one you might like. Bit slow but worth watching for the ending which is a little obvious but so well done it hardly matters.
      Bier
      Reply #4396: Nov 23, 2014 01:11:04 pm
      I watched Predestination last night, kind of a sci fi mystery movie set in the past. It was a very enjoyable and intrigueing movie for the most part. Very plot driven movie, with twists and stuff which was supposed to keep you guessing till the end I guess. Unfortunately both me and my gf knew what was going on long before they did the reveal, so by the time they did this very elaborate reveal we were both a bit annoyed by it. Nevertheless still a very enjoyable and original movie.

Most people seem to have liked it, and I don't know, it probably gets better in the final hour of the film, but I wasn't finding it that good. Perhaps a problem of high expectations.

It was funny...ish I thought, not a huge fan of that Marvel humor I guess though I did love Quill's walkman and its songs ;D

I honestly don't think you'll enjoy the final hour if you didn't enjoy the first. For me it basically fulfilled my expectations. Mostly just a fun feel good sci fi movie, and I like the characters. It is a Marvel and Disney movie, so I didn't have very high expectations regarding the plot or anything. But I did like it more than the Iron Man, Avengers, Captain America, Thor etc movies they did. Not sure that says much, as super hero movies won't ever be among my favourite movies, but I can really enjoy them nonetheless if they're done well.

While watching Guardians I couldn't help but think if Disney's upcoming Star Wars movies will be similar to this in style, which I honestly wouldn't mind. Although I guess JJ Abrams is directing that, so it'll probably be a more mature action movie, more epic cgi action movie stuff like the new Star Trek movies.
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2014 01:21:39 pm by Bier »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4397: Nov 23, 2014 01:17:31 pm
      But I did like it more than the Iron Man, Avengers, Captain America, Thor etc movies they did. Not sure that says much, as super hero movies won't ever be among my favourite movies

Oh definitely better than those others you mentioned... I'm not a fan of the genre at all though, didn't even bother watching some of them (like Captain America and Thor), really disliked the Avengers, and so on. The problem is myself probably, and the fact I was expecting something to break the barriers of my usual preferences, but it seemed a bit more of the same. I'll finish watching it later today though, because I hate to leave films unfinished :D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #4398: Nov 23, 2014 01:24:36 pm
      Went to see Interstellar. Disappointed. Thought some of the scientific theory ideas were really interesting and I liked the early scenes between MM and his young daughter who I thought was excellent. But it didn't grab me the way I wanted. I thought the visuals were ok but a bit bland considering they had a whole multiverse of concepts of planets to explore. I didn't buy into the whole love allowing MM to communicate with his daughter in a fifth dimension concept and I thought the script was too melodramatic, way too much crying for my liking. I didn't find the set pieces all that exciting either. Liked the music. Bit of a miss from Nolan for me on the back of a poor third batman movie. Hope he gets back to Memento/Dark Knight/Inception levels again. 6/10.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4399: Nov 23, 2014 01:25:17 pm
      Oh definitely better than those others you mentioned... I'm not a fan of the genre at all though, didn't even bother watching some of them (like Captain America and Thor), really disliked the Avengers, and so on. The problem is myself probably, and the fact I was expecting something to break the barriers of my usual preferences, but it seemed a bit more of the same. I'll finish watching it later today though, because I hate to leave films unfinished :D

If the last couple of minutes don't make you at least smile.... you are dead inside Diego.
      Bier
      Reply #4400: Nov 23, 2014 01:30:57 pm

Yeah, it depends on my mood. When I just want some brainless entertainment then that's the kind of movie I'm going for. Action movies in general aren't my preference, but they can be fun if done well. What I liked about Guardians is that it's actually more about the characters than the action or spectacle, and they're kind of fun. Vin Diesel as Groot is hilarious to me. Just to think that he basically had one line the whole movie. And I liked the banter between them.
      Bier
      Reply #4401: Nov 23, 2014 01:39:06 pm
      Went to see Interstellar. Disappointed. Thought some of the scientific theory ideas were really interesting and I liked the early scenes between MM and his young daughter who I thought was excellent. But it didn't grab me the way I wanted. I thought the visuals were ok but a bit bland considering they had a whole multiverse of concepts of planets to explore. I didn't buy into the whole love allowing MM to communicate with his daughter in a fifth dimension concept and I thought the script was too melodramatic, way too much crying for my liking. I didn't find the set pieces all that exciting either. Liked the music. Bit of a miss from Nolan for me on the back of a poor third batman movie. Hope he gets back to Memento/Dark Knight/Inception levels again. 6/10.

Haven't seen Interstellar yet, and I really want to see it, but not expecting an amazing movie, just more an amazing visual experience with not that much substance. I still think Memento is Nolan's best movie, it's just brilliant. And I wish he'd make more of a smaller plot driven movie like that again at some point. Wasn't blown away as much by Inception either unfortunately, although it's a very good movie, I think he took the concept too far for it to be beilevable for me, became too much of a gimmick.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4402: Nov 23, 2014 01:53:06 pm
      If the last couple of minutes don't make you at least smile.... you are dead inside Diego.

No pressure then! :D

Yeah, it depends on my mood. When I just want some brainless entertainment then that's the kind of movie I'm going for. Action movies in general aren't my preference, but they can be fun if done well. What I liked about Guardians is that it's actually more about the characters than the action or spectacle, and they're kind of fun. Vin Diesel as Groot is hilarious to me. Just to think that he basically had one line the whole movie. And I liked the banter between them.

Rocket and Groot are pretty funny, Groot makes me laugh the same way as Hodor :D I probably was expecting too much though
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #4403: Nov 23, 2014 10:45:49 pm
      Haven't seen Interstellar yet, and I really want to see it, but not expecting an amazing movie, just more an amazing visual experience with not that much substance. I still think Memento is Nolan's best movie, it's just brilliant. And I wish he'd make more of a smaller plot driven movie like that again at some point. Wasn't blown away as much by Inception either unfortunately, although it's a very good movie, I think he took the concept too far for it to be beilevable for me, became too much of a gimmick.

I'd definitely recommend going to see it mate it's certainly thought provoking. I just felt Nolan bit off more than he could chew by cramming so many concepts and themes into the movie and the emotional elements felt a bit forced and shoved down your throat. But it certainly has some positives and I can see why many really like it. I think Nolan is a brilliant director and takes big risks with his original ideas. Some work some don't but when they do he can make a masterpiece like Memento. As for Inception it's one of my top cinema experiences ever I loved it. I understand what you mean when you say the concept was gimmicky he did push it to the limit with the whole dream within a dream scenarios but for me it was the most original and thrilling big budget studio movie I've seen in years. And the score was incredible.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4404: Nov 24, 2014 07:25:20 am
      I LOVED IT ! I thought it was very well done and had me in stiches ... I am groot..ing for this one.   

Just getting it now mate, if it's crap I will blame you.

Have you watched it yet Saint?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4405: Nov 24, 2014 10:52:08 am

No mate, I wasn't really in the mood last night after watching the horror show in the afternoon.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #4406: Nov 24, 2014 10:47:44 pm
      loved every part of interstellar, i was cringing on my seat during the most tense scene of the movie (dont want to spoil it) ... alot of people who blame the movie should watch it again, maybe they didnt fully understand it ...

i recently watched hunger games mockingjay ... was dissapointed a bit, but i expected to be slow paced because it says part 1 ...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4407: Nov 25, 2014 06:24:39 am

Memento, bloody good movie. Didn't realise it had the same Director as Inception, another very good movie IMO.

You seen that Saint (Memento)?

Speaking of Guy Pearce, I saw the Rover last night, found it quite ordinary thought so much more could have been done with this flick.

I'll give predestination and Interstellar a watch.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #4408: Nov 25, 2014 10:34:20 am
      the prestige was another nolan masterpiece
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4409: Nov 25, 2014 11:37:51 am
      Memento, bloody good movie. Didn't realise it had the same Director as Inception, another very good movie IMO.

You seen that Saint (Memento)?

Speaking of Guy Pearce, I saw the Rover last night, found it quite ordinary thought so much more could have been done with this flick.

I'll give predestination and Interstellar a watch.

Yeah had to watch Memento twice to understand it properly. Good film though.

Watched Deliver us from Evil last night. Good story with quite a few jump moments , much better quality story and acting than you usually get in these type of films. Well worth watching.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4410: Nov 25, 2014 12:06:14 pm
      Yeah had to watch Memento twice to understand it properly. Good film though.

Watched Deliver us from Evil last night. Good story with quite a few jump moments , much better quality story and acting than you usually get in these type of films. Well worth watching.

Told you it was worth watching. Can't blame me for it being sh*t  :rasp:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4411: Nov 25, 2014 12:12:15 pm
      Told you it was worth watching. Can't blame me for it being sh*t  :rasp:

:D

Have you watched Dumb and Dumber to  yet?

I thought the Rover was crap, although to be fair I gave up half way through it and read a book while "watching" the rest.

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014 01:51:11 pm by s@int »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4412: Nov 25, 2014 09:49:21 pm
      :D

Have you watched Dumb and Dumber to  yet?

I thought the Rover was crap, although to be fair I gave up half way through it and read a book while "watching" the rest.

No. Haven't seen Dumb & Dumber - doesn't tickle me fancy Saint.

Yeah, Rover was poo.

Watched The Captive last night with Ryan Reynolds - mmm okay. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4413: Nov 25, 2014 10:15:45 pm
      No. Haven't seen Dumb & Dumber - doesn't tickle me fancy Saint.

Yeah, Rover was poo.

Watched The Captive last night with Ryan Reynolds - mmm okay. 

Started watching When the Game Stands Tall, True story about a H/school team that won 151 games on the trot, but was losing interest when I had to go out... not sure if I will go back to it.

Dumb and Dumber To was watchable , but they look so old (especially Jeff Daniels)it spoiled it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4414: Nov 26, 2014 09:50:59 am
      Caught up with a couple of films I missed 15-ish years ago.  Me, Myself & Irene, which felt like an anaemic version of There's Something About Mary and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, really good film with John Turturro being the stand out actor of the piece and a great cameo from John Goodman.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #4415: Nov 26, 2014 03:55:40 pm
      Started watching When the Game Stands Tall, True story about a H/school team that won 151 games on the trot, but was losing interest when I had to go out... not sure if I will go back to it.

Dumb and Dumber To was watchable , but they look so old (especially Jeff Daniels)it spoiled it.

Watched When the Game stands tall...interesting story, boring movie, lame script. Jim Caviezel almost saved it thou...almost

Quick Reply