Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 705530 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4853: Mar 28, 2016 09:02:55 am
      Watched Deadpool last night. Not as good as I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it. Expected 9/10 film after reading what people thought, but for me only a 8/10 just for the lack of content. Individual choice I know, but I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was better.

Definitely worth watching but not sure I will watch it again. 

I really liked Deadpool as well Saint but agree that Guardians of the Galaxy was better.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4854: Mar 29, 2016 11:10:13 pm
      Finally getting around to seeing Deadpool, only one in the cinema. As I was queueing, two girls came screaming out of The Boy. I'll give that a miss.
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2016 01:21:15 am by Roddenberry »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4855: Mar 30, 2016 08:08:00 am
      Finally getting around to seeing Deadpool, only one in the cinema. As I was queueing, two girls came screaming out of The Boy. I'll give that a miss.

Do you not like frightening films mate ? After what you said, The Boy is now next on my list for watching.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #4856: Mar 30, 2016 01:17:29 pm
      Gonna watch a few tonight.

I've Black Mass with Johnny Depp, The Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch and Sicario with Emily Blunt. Will probably watch in that order too. Imitation game has me interested though, really like anything about the world wars.

Sicario is boss, forget Blunt I think Benicio Del Toro steals the film.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,482 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4857: Mar 30, 2016 08:01:05 pm
      Sicario is boss, forget Blunt I think Benicio Del Toro steals the film.

Yeah? I've still to watch it actually, might give it a go on Saturday night so! :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #4858: Mar 31, 2016 12:24:43 am
      Just watched Steve Jobs.

Fantastic movie.

Danny Boyle is one if my favourite directors and Aaron Sorkin is one of the best writers around so I knew I would love this but its even better than I thought.

Fassbender and Winslet are superb and although it wont be to everyone's taste for me this was a truly great piece of film making.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4859: Mar 31, 2016 12:43:36 am
      Deadpool was a strong 7/10 for me, enjoyed it, chuckles all the way through. Some stodgy performances from some of the support, but Reynolds, Baccarin & Miller were on form.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4860: Apr 01, 2016 09:55:11 pm
      Watched Deadpool last night. Not as good as I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it. Expected 9/10 film after reading what people thought, but for me only a 8/10 just for the lack of content. Individual choice I know, but I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was better.

Definitely worth watching but not sure I will watch it again. 

I quite liked the film I wasn't expecting much from.

Found the playing up to the camera annoying and irritating at first but other than that I enjoyed it. 8/10
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #4861: Apr 03, 2016 01:04:13 am
      I just watched Force Awakens. I know a little late but didnt want to sit in a theater with fan boys and adults dressed like Boba Fett.

But i will say AWESOME. Just a fantastic movie. Completely saved the franchise from the abysmal prequels. Good casting, storyline,effects were great. Not a lot of CGI.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #4862: Apr 03, 2016 01:05:38 am
      Found the playing up to the camera annoying and irritating at first but other than that I enjoyed it. 8/10

Read somewhere that something similar happens in the comics (like he's talking to the readers) so they wanted to retain that quirkiness in the film too.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4863: Apr 03, 2016 01:10:41 am
      Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane at the cinema last week, not been for quite a while! Thought it was a decent enough film like but then at the end there were suddenly aliens and spaceships and it completely killed the film IMO.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #4864: Apr 03, 2016 01:16:56 am
      Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane at the cinema last week, not been for quite a while! Thought it was a decent enough film like but then at the end there were suddenly aliens and spaceships and it completely killed the film IMO.

Have you seen Cloverfield? Alien monster stomping around New York etc, same director. It's not a direct sequel but there are supposedly some links in 10 Cloverfield Lane to Cloverfield and not just the title!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4865: Apr 03, 2016 01:19:43 am
      Have you seen Cloverfield? Alien monster stomping around New York etc, same director. It's not a direct sequel but there are supposedly some links in 10 Cloverfield Lane to Cloverfield and not just the title!

Yeah I vaguely remember seeing it and I thought that was crap too. I thought it was just coincidence that the titles were similar.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4866: Apr 03, 2016 03:17:43 am
      Batman vs Superman, better than I expected. It has pacing issues, some parts breezed over that deserved more, some hang around too long. Although it had pacing issues, I'd be shocked if the Bluray doesn't have a cut that's 15-20 minutes longer. Was a little disappointed that no one laughed at the 'Miles Dyson' scene, surely that was stunt casting? Irons didn't get enough screen time and I think Eisenberg is getting some undue criticism, I think he pulled off what the director asked of him, it just wasn't tonally right and you never got the looming sense of intellect I feel the character should have.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4867: Apr 04, 2016 10:02:05 am
      Few I've watched in the last few months that I figure were worth mentioning.

Deadpool - what an absolute treat that was. THAT is the kind of comic book film I've been waiting for. I love many of them, but so cheesy as many are, such a breath of fresh air. The constant fourth wall breaking I thought would be annoying, but it was thrown in perfectly and almost always to hilarious effect. And a damn fine film in the story, genuine care for characters and all. Reynolds was made to play him. Van Wilder (guilty pleasure of mine) in spandex.

Watched The Program, The Big Short, and Steve Jobs, on our flights back from Liverpool. All fantastic. The Big Short was all together hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time, and everyone should see it. I implore you to if you have not yet. The Program was great - felt a bit like a rollercoaster with how quick it flew through it all, but very well done. And Steve Jobs was incredible in its simplicity, telling the story entirely over three different product releases. Great storytelling.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #4868: Apr 06, 2016 02:58:11 am
      Deadpool is a good movie. I was afraid it was going to be awful considering his last comic movie, Green Lantern was an abysmal piece of sh*t.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4869: Apr 06, 2016 07:52:39 pm
      The Trust, cracking heist film with Nicolas Cage. Very funny and full of genuinely unexpected twists and turns.

Really enjoyed it 8/10
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4870: Apr 08, 2016 10:51:52 pm
      The Finest Hours. True story about an amazing rescue a sea. Half the crew wouldn't go out as they thought it was suicide, while those that did attempted the most fantastic of rescues from a ship torn in half. Acting could have been a little better, but a great story carries the film. 7/10
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4871: Apr 11, 2016 02:24:50 pm
      Triple 9. Elements of Training Day. Good movie that's worth watching with a host of good actors/actresses. 8/10.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #4872: Apr 12, 2016 10:01:42 am
      Watched a couple this week. Oblivion and The Purge.

Oblivion is a very good, but not quite top notch, Sci fi movie which I enjoyed more than I thought I would.

The Purge was mediocre at best. Decent idea for a film but really just turned into another run of the mill movie with a guy killing people defending his house.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4873: Apr 28, 2016 04:37:48 pm
      Watched Danny Collins last night and enjoyed it. I like how uncomplicated it is and a like Californication was, a welcome break from intense drama.

Al Pacino is flawless as usual - he makes it look so easy. It says at the beginning that the film is loosely based on a true story and I forgot about that until it's mentioned again at the end.

Anyway, solid 7/10.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4874: Apr 29, 2016 03:50:51 am
      Drowned my sorrows in watching Captain America 3. Loved it, actually think it's the best Marvel film to date, perhaps the best comic book film actually...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4875: Apr 29, 2016 04:16:37 am
      Drowned my sorrows in watching Captain America 3. Loved it, actually think it's the best Marvel film to date, perhaps the best comic book film actually...

Just got home from watching it myself. The opening acts are overly repetitive in places, putting no faith in the audiences ability to comprehend plot at all. the middle acts are worth going to see alone and the final acts are pedestrian and spend time re-explaining what you should have got from the rest of the film. Could and should have been a much tighter film. Despite my issues, it's not a bad film at all, but the weakest of the Cap films for me, though this is more an Avenger film or even Captain America Vs Iron Man, Dawn of Injustice.

I had heard some bits and pieces beforehand, mainly mainly the Tony-Steve friendship. No issues from me here, it plays off the team mate angle, respect but not a friendship that hadn't been shown and is unlikely to surface.

Quick Reply