Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 699680 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4876: Apr 29, 2016 05:46:19 am
      Watched Danny Collins last night and enjoyed it. I like how uncomplicated it is and a like Californication was, a welcome break from intense drama.

Al Pacino is flawless as usual - he makes it look so easy. It says at the beginning that the film is loosely based on a true story and I forgot about that until it's mentioned again at the end.

Anyway, solid 7/10.

Saw that myself a while back, I really enjoyed it too.

Pacino was flawless in that and funny too.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4877: Apr 29, 2016 11:57:36 pm
      Civil War... 

Cracking movie...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4878: May 07, 2016 09:47:40 pm
      Macbeth.

Stunning film and a great modern adaptation.

Michael Fassbender was fantastic in this as he always is and seems to relish the role.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4879: May 13, 2016 06:35:05 pm
      Star Wars: Malin Head locals feel the force of legendary film

As Obi-Wan Kenobi once said: "Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."
      It's a quote that seems particularly relevant as the debate around Donegal's apparent Millennium Falcon rages on.
      As cast and crew of Star Wars Episode VIII landed on Malin Head to shoot scenes for the new film, excitement reached fever pitch in the village.
      "Is it, or isn't it?" was the question on everyone's lips, as a huge structure appeared in the county's most northerly point in recent days.

The entire shoot is top secret, with locals and landowners sworn to keep it that way.
      The space-age construction - at least 50ft (15m) across and 10ft (3m) high - is balanced precariously on cliffs a mile from Banba's Crown, a headland known for producing dramatic photographs of the Northern Lights.
      It is shielded by nets, with rescue boats deployed offshore as work intensified in the hours before filming.

Access to the beauty spot will be closed over the weekend because of the eagerly awaited arrival of Hollywood actors.
      To make matters even more intriguing, effective no-fly zones are being implemented by the Irish Aviation Authority over some of the Republic of Ireland's most scenic headlands to facilitate the filming.
      Word of the arrivals spread fast and, over the past few days, crowds of Star Wars enthusiasts have been arriving for a glimpse of the set.

John Joe McGettigan, from Carrigart in County Donegal, has been exploring the set in full Stormtrooper regalia, introducing himself with his rank in the Emerald Garrison of EG 1826.
      "It's absolutely fantastic to have Star Wars in Donegal, it's not a galaxy far, far away at all," he said.
      "Everybody has their own way of going mad, this is ours."
      Not even the father-of-two's fanatical devotion to the films could get him closer than a mile to the supposed set of Han Solo's spaceship.
      "The shoot is top secret and I'd say the only way of getting into the set is on the Millennium Falcon itself," he said.

Hugh Farren, the owner of Farren's Bar in Malin Head, marked the excitement with a mural of Yoda on the gable wall of the bar.
      He said there have been carloads of tourists stopping to take pictures of it.
      "I was going to stock up this morning and a young fella with a lightsabre was talking a photo of himself against it - it's been a real hit."
      Hugh said the level of traffic in the village has not been seen since the Northern Lights brought busloads of tourists to the area.
      "At the moment we've got about 30 lorries going back and forth.

"Locals are saying now we should have a one-way system - it's that busy.
      "If it's true what they're saying, it's looking like they may come back and it's just fantastic.
      "The thought of stormtroopers shooting at each other around Malin Head is just out of this world."
      Hugh and others in the village are hopeful that local authorities will make the most of the potential to draw tourism and investment to the area.
      "It's a missed opportunity if we don't do something to say this is where Star Wars was filmed."

Hugh's brother Allie Farren, a campaigner for the tourist centre at Malin Head, said the spin-offs will be huge for the remote area.
      "It will help put Malin Head once again on the map," he said.
      "This will be bigger than the likes of Game of Thrones like we've seen in the north attracting loads of tourists.
      "Hopefully this will really benefit the area.
      "Everybody in this location is tied into the secrecy.

"It's been a great talking point - Star Wars is one of the biggest movies of all time and for them to be in Malin Head is top class."
      "It's a great occasion to shout from the rooftops how good an this area is," he said.
      Security is tight in Donegal, with only one country road leading to the location and access for eager fans closely guarded by teams of security.
      Donegal County Council is overseeing road closures on the Malin Head loop from 08:00 local time each morning until 21:00 at night on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
      Irish journalist Ciaran Byrne is reporting on the filming for Time Magazine.

"Whatever is going on is obviously top-secret, but they've obviously been very taken with Ireland which is great," he said.
      "Anything associated with Star Wars tends to turn to gold.
      "It's a phenomenal global success that makes millions, if not billions at the box office, so the fact that it's come here is big news."
      The film will shoot in Malin Head before returning to the southern tip, close to where scenes for Star Wars: The Force Awakens were shot on Skellig Michael's monastic hermitage in the Atlantic.
      Jedi Temple sets have been constructed on a mountain headland, Ceann Sibeal in County Kerry, with the filming expected to take place later this month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36278250
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4880: May 18, 2016 05:11:46 am
      X-Men Apocalypse. Lets start off with it's very good, lots of knowing nods and it cleared up something from the last film that had irked me a little. It didn't have the light comic undertone I've come to expect from these films, though the lack of levity was well judged, as this film doesn't require it.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are now every bit Prof. X and Magneto as Stewart and McKellan, the latter always was, McAvoy has grown in to it. I'd love to see a Magneto standalone effort.

Mystique is missing a little refinement at present, again, as part of a Magneto film, we could see her find it. See seems a little jammed into this film at times, I have already thought of a way or two it could have happened. I will say that Jennifer Lawrence always gives me a slightly uneasy feeling with her portrayal, though I'm unsure if this is my knowledge of the character or some excellent acting.

Nicholas Hoult's Beast still feels like a work in progress, the scientific scepticism balanced with his hopeful nature is there, but the slight whimsy, the poetic doesn't shine through. A tiny little change could have fixed that, near the beginning swapping Charles and Hank's roles slightly could have introduced this side of the character. Oscar Isaac is very impressive as Apocalypse, the malevolence just pours off him.

Rose Byrne's Moira felt like a convenient way to tell part of the story, with a face we already know until near the very end when, at least for me, she helps set Charles' resolve. Quicksilver is about as close as we get to comic relief, has an eighties music set piece that nearly started to drag but he needs more story to him though, again a possibility in a Magneto spin-off.

With Jean Grey and Scott Summers, I was worried, at first it was almost teen romance fodder and then it backed off to subtle and it was a treat to watch. I like where they seem going with Scott's character and as for Sophie Turner, I'm a sucker for a redhead as it is.

Although their are others in this film, I'm only going to cover one more, Kurt Wagner aka Nightcrawler. Absolutely stole every scene he was in. I know bits and pieces of his back story and I really hope we see more in the future.

Having said I like it, I think it's going to be one that splits the audience.
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2016 05:26:28 am by Roddenberry »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4881: May 20, 2016 03:02:25 pm
      X-Men Apocalypse. Lets start off with it's very good, lots of knowing nods and it cleared up something from the last film that had irked me a little. It didn't have the light comic undertone I've come to expect from these films, though the lack of levity was well judged, as this film doesn't require it.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are now every bit Prof. X and Magneto as Stewart and McKellan, the latter always was, McAvoy has grown in to it. I'd love to see a Magneto standalone effort.

Mystique is missing a little refinement at present, again, as part of a Magneto film, we could see her find it. See seems a little jammed into this film at times, I have already thought of a way or two it could have happened. I will say that Jennifer Lawrence always gives me a slightly uneasy feeling with her portrayal, though I'm unsure if this is my knowledge of the character or some excellent acting.

Nicholas Hoult's Beast still feels like a work in progress, the scientific scepticism balanced with his hopeful nature is there, but the slight whimsy, the poetic doesn't shine through. A tiny little change could have fixed that, near the beginning swapping Charles and Hank's roles slightly could have introduced this side of the character. Oscar Isaac is very impressive as Apocalypse, the malevolence just pours off him.

Rose Byrne's Moira felt like a convenient way to tell part of the story, with a face we already know until near the very end when, at least for me, she helps set Charles' resolve. Quicksilver is about as close as we get to comic relief, has an eighties music set piece that nearly started to drag but he needs more story to him though, again a possibility in a Magneto spin-off.

With Jean Grey and Scott Summers, I was worried, at first it was almost teen romance fodder and then it backed off to subtle and it was a treat to watch. I like where they seem going with Scott's character and as for Sophie Turner, I'm a sucker for a redhead as it is.

Although their are others in this film, I'm only going to cover one more, Kurt Wagner aka Nightcrawler. Absolutely stole every scene he was in. I know bits and pieces of his back story and I really hope we see more in the future.

Having said I like it, I think it's going to be one that splits the audience.

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

I loved DOFP but I've been underwhelmed by all the previews for Apocolypse.

Early reviews aren't great either but then again I loved Batman v Superman and that got panned!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4882: May 25, 2016 05:54:25 pm
      Watched that new Sasha Baron Cohen film The Brothers Grimsby, silly as F**k, but actually very funny. Deffo some laugh out loud moments.

And watched that 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - considering I can't usually stand Michael Bay films it's one of his better films to date.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4883: May 25, 2016 06:26:34 pm
      The internet, don't ya just love it. ;) ;D

Hahahahaha yeah saves me a few quid either going the cinema or buying DVD's
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4884: May 26, 2016 08:27:43 am
      Watched Deadpool, Bridge of Spies, The Martian and Creed on my flights.

All great movies for different reasons.

Deadpool was hilarious. Storyline isn't great but the acting was awesome and so funny. 8/10.

Bridge of Spies - Tom Hanks therefore 8/10. Love him.

Creed - not sure if it was the constant flying but I got a bit emotional watching it. Good film 7/10. Would be 8 if his opponent wasn't a Blueshite.

The Martian - very good. Matt Damon was awesome. Didn't know how the movie would work with the storyline but they did it very well. 8/10.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4885: May 27, 2016 12:14:49 am
      Just finished watching The Race, a biography all about Jesse Owens' and his taking part in the 1936 Olympic Games. Thought it was a really good film.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4886: May 29, 2016 11:53:38 am
      Watched Papillon on blu ray last night,not watched it since I was in my youth & the film is still a fascinating watch not least for Steve McQueen who's performance on the human condition was brilliant as is Hoffman.
      Apart from the first 20 minutes
      The transfer is brilliant.
      Recomended 8/10
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4887: May 29, 2016 11:07:58 pm
      Finished watching, The Witch. Has to be one of, if not the greatest horror film I have ever seen!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4888: May 30, 2016 12:35:52 pm
      Finished watching, The Witch. Has to be one of, if not the greatest horror film I have ever seen!
      Had this on my radar for a while ,I do like horror films so I'll certainly give this a watch later today,cheers mate.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4889: May 30, 2016 02:28:45 pm
      Had this on my radar for a while ,I do like horror films so I'll certainly give this a watch later today,cheers mate.

A little advice before you watch it, make sure you have subtitles on :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4890: May 30, 2016 02:59:17 pm
      watched that 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - considering I can't usually stand Michael Bay films it's one of his better films to date.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too mate. Not quite Blackhawk Down, but kept me interested. Found it a little hard to differentiate between the different characters as they all looked pretty similar with the beards

First 20 mins or so had me a little worried that it would be one of those straight to video clichéd Vinny Jones type films, but after that it was a rollercoaster ride. Thought the bloke with his arm hanging off waved it about a little too much though :)

Well worth watching solid 7/10
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4891: May 30, 2016 03:11:27 pm
      A little advice before you watch it, make sure you have subtitles on :)
      Cheers for the heads up mate.👍
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4892: Jun 02, 2016 11:44:24 pm
      Money Monster.

Really liked it in fairness, was a good watch. Predictable I suppose, but good nonetheless.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4893: Jun 04, 2016 10:51:00 pm
      Watched the witch last night, beautiful cinematography, excellent acting but as horror films go I'd give it a miss. Also be prepared to feel like a foreigner at times, sometimes the effective use of olde england language is testing.

I totally get where you are coming from with the horror aspect as it can be perceived more of a psychological thriller than horror, but it's a horror for me.
      Rather than relying on cheap jump scares, the director creates and sustains that eeriness throughout the film, that first introduction to the Witch (the ointment scene) was absolutely disturbing and frightening, it just set the tone for the whole movie as I always felt some sort of supernatural evil lurking after that scene. Also, this film lingered with me for a couple of days like no other horror has.

I actually think this is in my top 6 films of all time :O Would love to see the Oscars/Bafta recognise this masterpiece!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4894: Jun 10, 2016 03:57:13 pm
      Watched Cell with John Cusack & Samuel L. Jackson. Starts off a bit B' gradish but once it gets going it's weirdly watchable.

7/10

If anyone watches this one and can explain the ending my ears are open as I couldn't fathom that part of this zombie apocalyptic flick.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4895: Jul 20, 2016 12:53:08 am
      I watched Dog Pound and although I thought it was okay with some excellent acting, it is far too similar to Scum to enjoy properly. It even has characters with the same surnames, FFS. If you haven't seen Scum, then choose that over this.

6/10
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4896: Jul 23, 2016 03:38:14 am

Watched this last night and got to be honest it's actually alright and it is funny. I enjoyed it.

Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver have cameo's in the film and it's produced by Ivan Reitman with Dan Ackroyd as executive producer.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4897: Jul 27, 2016 04:39:22 pm
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4898: Jul 27, 2016 05:17:09 pm
      Been watching a lot of pretty average films lately. Central Intelligence, Criminal and the Nice Guys. Nice Guys being the pick of the bunch was quite good but could have been so much better. All had their moments, but left me feeling I could have spent my time better.
      Watched Cell with John Cusack & Samuel L. Jackson. Starts off a bit B' gradish but once it gets going it's weirdly watchable.

7/10

If anyone watches this one and can explain the ending my ears are open as I couldn't fathom that part of this zombie apocalyptic flick.

Watched this a while ago mate. Personally I didn't like it, probably because I had read the book first. Totally different ending to the book.

I think the film ending was supposed to be that John Cussack is dreaming he has found his son, but is really just walking the wheel with the rest of the mindless.( I suppose in a way it's trying to give you a choice of endings)

Book ends with the hero and his friends blowing everyone up and then trying to reboot his son's brain by getting him to listen to a cell phone.       

Quick Reply