Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Would certain comedies still be funny today?

Read 1874 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Would certain comedies still be funny today?
      Jul 13, 2009 11:20:22 pm
      Certain comedies that were based around the ignorance of racism, Rising Damp, Till Death Do Us Part, Mind Your Language would they still be funny to this day? Now I love Rising Damp, makes me laugh every time but I don't know if many people in this "politically correct" world would still find it amusing. Racism has always been a sensetive issue and now more so than ever, so I doubt it would.

Other comedies which may not still be considered funny are the likes of Spitting Image which centered around the time of it's day. It involved the "celebs" people knew back then, whereas kids of the 90s probably wouldn't get the Thatcher jokes or even to some extent the Bruno and Gascoigne jokes.

Dad's Army is another example, again although I love it, I'm not sure if many people my age would. When it was made in the 60s and 70s, people could relate to it because many of their grandparents would have been in the Home Guard and would of had stories of a Walker or a Godfrey or even Mainwearing himself. But now, not many people would be able to relate to the Home Guard and what it was, I can't personally but I just love most British comedies. Same for Steptoe and Son, again another of my favourites but how many people nowadays know rag and bone men?

So are certain comedy shows left best back in their day or does every comedy conquer the test of time?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Would certain comedies still be funny today?
      Reply #1: Jul 13, 2009 11:24:03 pm
      Can't say I know much about past comedy but the first thing that Springs to mind is Eddie Murphy's Raw which I've mentioned several times in other threads.

I personally feel that is timeless. Looks at a variety of issues however still remains current somehow, maybe he just doesn't go too into detail about exactly how things were at the time and so it still feels relevant today.

Bloody hilarious.

Quick Reply