Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Picking up scouse?

Read 52626 times
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: Picking up scouse?
      Reply #46: Jul 18, 2009 10:18:12 am
      There are lots and lots of scouse words and phrases in fact we have our own language you can learn to speak scouse just visit the web if you want to learn more.
      eg,I'm gonna mug me mate=take him out for a drink.
           Don't let on your bandy=keep your own counsel.
           Tanner meg=Rubber football.
           First Wet=Lick on the head after a haircut.
           Ackers=Money.
      They just go on and on and on,so have a look on the web and teach yourself scouse ok kidda.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #47: Jul 18, 2009 03:25:33 pm
      I'll give you 'la' DLS but 'barney', 'bread' and 'sound' have always been part of the lingo in N.I. Also the word 'pet' is heavily used where I'm from.

Was just about to say that. In Belfast, a lotta people use the same kind of words. Think its just because the two cities are so close together. Liverpool is the closest English City to Belfast and so a lot of people moved to Liverpool. Some people in Ireland still have a lot of family in Liverpool and so pick up some of the lingo when they talk with their families who live in Liverpool. Especially the words 'barney' and 'sound'- they are used in everday language in Ireland.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #48: Jul 18, 2009 04:09:17 pm
      Just wondering really. I've noticed one or two people who aren't from Liverpool saying things like 'boss' or 'well in' in their posts lately.

So if you're not from Liverpool, do you think you might be picking up a bit scouse by being on this forum? Or are you just being influenced from Carra or Stevie when they talk?  ;)

Either way, I think it's 'boss'!  ;D

'Well in' is used here down south anyway. I must admit to using 'boss' in reality and i've picked it up from here (and one of my neighbours is scouse).
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #49: Jul 18, 2009 06:12:36 pm
      Here links I found some time ago:
      http://essjaydoubleyou.blogspot.com/2005/11/scouse-is-boss.html
      http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/scouse1.html

Is it something of those words or phrases are used?
      I think it's fine when outsiders use Scouse words. As for me, it shows some respect they've got for the city and its people.It would make my day.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #50: Jul 19, 2009 03:43:30 am
      I'll give you 'la' DLS but 'barney', 'bread' and 'sound' have always been part of the lingo in N.I. Also the word 'pet' is heavily used where i'm from.

Well gotta admit I don't get to Northern Ireland much, if at all. But I still consider "bread" especially as a Scouse word, there was even a Scouse sitcom of that name. It may be one of those that falls into the catergory of originating from Liverpool but being adopted by other cities.

I suppose with the way the world is now, many words will be spoken by different areas. With the internet and the easy accessibility of people from all round the world to communicate with others, certain words will be picked up and used.

They're are also certain words that are spoken by certain people. For example the word "doss" or "dossing" (in reference of sleeping) is what I'd consider a working class word. I couldn't imagine Queen Liz turning to Phil the Greek saying "we're gonna have to doss at Charlie's while the painters are in" So there's many things that all contribute to the use of words.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #51: Jul 19, 2009 07:43:49 am
      I'm not picking up scouse , I'm in general picking up the English lingo ....being an American I"m using words like mate , lad , sh*te , gobs***e , boss and so on , and I guess it's the forum which is influencing me ! And I don't write it in my posts because I go over my posts an think that I haven't used it in the right context but I do say it in my everyday speech .
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #52: Jul 19, 2009 08:42:57 am
      Well gotta admit I don't get to Northern Ireland much, if at all. But I still consider "bread" especially as a Scouse word, there was even a Scouse sitcom of that name. It may be one of those that falls into the catergory of originating from Liverpool but being adopted by other cities.

Or it may be that it originated here and was spread to Liverpool with the massive influx of immigrants from these shores?  ;)

The Liverpool accent

THE 'Scouse' accent is well known to be very specific of Liverpool's city and different from the surrounding part of Lancashire and Cheshire.

Some language experts have been able to identify a hybrid of Lancashire and Irish. The dialect is a relict of the great influx of Irish immigrants in the nineteenth century and shows that the new settlers were so numerous that they changed the very accent of the local people.

http://www.merseyreporter.com/history/historic/irish-immigration.shtml
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Jul 19, 2009 03:37:09 pm
      I have without realising it until just a little while ago. The only two i say however is 'boss' and 'well in'. 'Well in' i didnt know was Scouse until someone mentioned it on here a while back but 'boss' has just entered my vocabulary.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #54: Jul 19, 2009 04:00:18 pm
      I have without realising it until just a little while ago. The only two I say however is 'boss' and 'well in'. 'Well in' I didnt know was Scouse until someone mentioned it on here a while back but 'boss' has just entered my vocabulary.

For me as well, the word 'boss' just give a nice touch to it I reckon.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #55: Sep 18, 2009 02:56:52 pm
      Providing none of the birds start staying "ooer" on a regular basis we'll be alright. This girl I was decorating for this morning said it almost every minute.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #56: Sep 18, 2009 05:36:49 pm
      ooh-er!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #57: Sep 18, 2009 08:02:29 pm

Don't lad, it's annoying as F**k.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #58: Sep 18, 2009 08:56:12 pm
      Geordies use "BARNEY" also to describe having a fight. as an exmaple me and our lass had a barney the other night.

But I can do a perfect scouse accent, infact I'm good at most accents, comes from working away a lot when I was shop fitting you picked the accents up straight away, well I did, back then I seriously needed to get a life :)

Danny2304
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts |
      • Stairway to heaven
      Reply #59: Sep 18, 2009 09:36:05 pm
      Apparently I sound Irish on playstation network :D

I love the scouse accent and proud to have one. It's not a overpowering one like you usually hear on Sky sports news etc.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #60: Sep 18, 2009 10:47:53 pm
      I'd like to pick up some scouse at the chippy why can't you get it? wonder what curried scouse is like have to give it a try that one.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #61: Sep 19, 2009 01:38:12 am
      no foregners (people from outside the city) can do a scouse accent, they always sound like a smackhead

I think a lot of the lingo has spread to the rest of the uk and ireland, and its in general use now
      words like "made up", sound and even n*b-head has spread to other areas of the NW.
      the word la is also considered a word of people from lancashire too

my grandma had a funny accent, sounded quite of old english, lancastrian, scouse, think thats the way they spoke then

I think in general people of working class adopt words from city to city, but I think we invent far more words than others, for some reason, maybe its because we iz just cool and always have been, and lead the world in a lot of things.....ie music, beatles, and culture. I think our accent is getting a little americanized but it is still going strong through Massive local pride. I seem to remember a word that originated in Huyton at the end of the 70's the word was "jaag" meaning crap, and I dont think it has spread past liverpool even yet.

great scouse words that are still very local Arlarse Kecks Divvy Skint The Bizzies Meff Tracky Trainies  Bifter goose keep dixie
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009 01:56:20 am by robbyr »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #62: Sep 19, 2009 02:58:38 am
      'Jaag'. Blag. False.

Backslang. That's not even been brought up in here yet has it?

Kenengigny Laglawliger. My name in backslang.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #63: Sep 19, 2009 04:04:44 am
      great scouse words that are still very local Arlarse Kecks Divvy Skint The Bizzies Meff Tracky Trainies  Bifter goose keep dixie
      I didn't know that was scouse. :f_tongueincheek:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #64: Sep 19, 2009 11:50:56 am
       I notice that the Mancs use a lot of our phrases like "made up",divvi and I've heard bizzies used also years ago they used to all talk like woolly backs with ee bar gum and all that stuff now they've got the beginnings of a Liverpool accent. They put it down to the Irish influence but they've only had an Irish community to speak of for about 10 minutes compared to Liverpool, also some of the words referred to are heard spoken down south. The word bizzies was used in Glasgow maybe even before we used it but after saying that I look forward to most parts of England speaking in a semi scouse accent fairly soon!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #65: Sep 19, 2009 11:55:03 am
      'Jaag'. Blag. False.

Backslang. That's not even been brought up in here yet has it?

Kenengigny Laglawliger. My name in backslang.

Very similar to "eggy" language we used to use! ;D

Regeslegivego.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #66: Sep 22, 2009 06:41:12 pm
      Just wondered if the youth of today still use Liverpool backslang?I think it was devised to fool the bizzies when we were stopped for being up to no good.
      Exiled down here in Surrey has I'm afraid "softened me accent" so when I come up to see the family they reckon I'm Posh ffs.

I've travelled the length and breadth of this country and still not found any area that drink (in company the way scouser do)ie get the next one in when you halfway through your pint so your never left with NO drink in front of you(THATS BOSS).

:f_bluelight: :food-smiley-005:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #67: Sep 22, 2009 06:52:52 pm
      We just had a new scouse teacher come work at my school. It's brilliant, he talks just like some on here.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #68: Sep 22, 2009 09:33:03 pm
      We just had a new scouse teacher come work at my school. It's brilliant, he talks just like some on here.

Great stuff Crouchy, you'll be right at home with him then  ;D

Quick Reply