Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Formula 1

Read 576640 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #2829: Sep 04, 2014 10:46:54 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29032986

Juan Pablo Montoya sets the fastest lap ever recorded in f1 history 10 years ago at this weekends venue of Monza!

I loved the cars from that eya. Aggression and speed with no real care to a green agenda and absent of ridiculous things like DRS and ERS. Ok while the more stringent technical rules have bought out some interesting innovations, there is still a lingering sense of disappointment of never seeing an f1 car race with a V10 engine again, never reach the ultimate pinnacle of speed and science like those in earlier eras believed it would. If it can't do that these days then it just isn't true to the spirit of f1.

For those outside of the UK.

F1 2004 Montoya Q1 Monza

Still my favourite intro:

BBC F1 2011 Monza Intro

EJ picking yellow instead of green.
      1999 Jordan win might have something to do with it.

BBC F1 Monza Race Intro
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2830: Sep 04, 2014 10:23:27 pm
      Probably my favourite Italian GP of recent years was 2008 where Seb Vettel won his first ever race in the Toro Rosso. An absolutely incredible driver from the young man in challenging conditions. Also recall Montoya winning his first ever race back in 2001 in the week following 9/11. One of the most subdued race weekends I can recall, marked by a Ferrari team decked out in sponsor less livery with a black nose cone. Regardless, it was a fine win from Montoya - a driver who would never maximise the obvious raw talent he had!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2831: Sep 05, 2014 12:51:25 am
      Probably my favourite Italian GP of recent years was 2008 where Seb Vettel won his first ever race in the Toro Rosso. An absolutely incredible driver from the young man in challenging conditions. Also recall Montoya winning his first ever race back in 2001 in the week following 9/11. One of the most subdued race weekends I can recall, marked by a Ferrari team decked out in sponsor less livery with a black nose cone. Regardless, it was a fine win from Montoya - a driver who would never maximise the obvious raw talent he had!

Montoya seems to have come back to life in Indycar. Slimmed up a bit too.
      Never saw his full potential too. Far too hot headed, not near enough clinical.

Seems to have learnt a lot from NASCAR. More so that he needed to change.

Always thought the black nose on the Ferrari that weekend was a great sign of respect.
      Glad to see some humanity in a corporate mad sport.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2832: Sep 05, 2014 12:58:54 am
      Montoya seems to have come back to life in Indycar. Slimmed up a bit too.
      Never saw his full potential too. Far too hot headed, not near enough clinical.

Seems to have learnt a lot from NASCAR. More so that he needed to change.

Always thought the black nose on the Ferrari that weekend was a great sign of respect.
      Glad to see some humanity in a corporate mad sport.

Ah interesting to here. Should follow Indycar a lot more closely. Perhaps the most surprising thing you report though is how he slimmed down! Also fully agree on the nose - it was a moment of pure respect.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2833: Sep 05, 2014 01:11:48 am
      Ah interesting to here. Should follow Indycar a lot more closely. Perhaps the most surprising thing you report though is how he slimmed down! Also fully agree on the nose - it was a moment of pure respect.

He started to slim down and take the physical prep a bit seriously when, too late, he realised he could lose his NASCAR seat.

The nose thing is one reason why I'll forgive Ferrari a lot of sh*t. They will wear their hearts on their sleeve.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2834: Sep 05, 2014 06:29:37 am
      Mercedes say they are considering dropping either Hamilton or Rosberg if the pair cannot compete against each other cleanly.
      After they collided again in Belgium Merc sports boss Toto Wolf issued the ultimatum, the team made it clear before this weekends Italian Grand Prix that there must be no more on-track contact.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2835: Sep 05, 2014 01:36:55 pm
      Oh the horror! The F1 health and safety plonkers have meddled with one of the finest corners in world motorsport, the parabolica. They've only gone and added a tarmac run off to the corner, neutering the challenge of it in the process.

And as we were discussing him above, who turns up in the f1 paddock for the first time since his last race in the sport back in June 2006....only Juan Pablo Montoya!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2836: Sep 05, 2014 02:02:21 pm
      Oh the horror! The F1 health and safety plonkers have meddled with one of the finest corners in world motorsport, the parabolica. They've only gone and added a tarmac run off to the corner, neutering the challenge of it in the process.

And as we were discussing him above, who turns up in the f1 paddock for the first time since his last race in the sport back in June 2006....only Juan Pablo Montoya!

Every driver criticising the decision.
      No punishment now if you get it wrong.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2837: Sep 07, 2014 02:42:27 pm
      What a fantastic race! Thought any chance of a win was over for Lewis after that start seeing as I thought it would be impossible to get past the Mercedes powered Williams and his team mate. Crucially got Rosberg to crack! Big mental victory for him!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2838: Sep 07, 2014 02:44:15 pm
      Great race.
      Well done Lewis. Looked like game over at the start, but he recovered well.
      Nico with two bad braking mistakes. You don't deserve to win when you drive like that.

Delighted for Massa too.
      Felipe, Baby!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2839: Sep 07, 2014 02:48:44 pm
      Fantastic from Lewis but you also have to give Ricardo the thumbs up, excellent overtaking.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2840: Sep 07, 2014 02:50:09 pm
      Great race.
      Well done Lewis. Looked like game over at the start, but he recovered well.
      Nico with two bad braking mistakes. You don't deserve to win when you drive like that.

Delighted for Massa too.
      Felipe, Baby!

I'll tell you what - Eddie Jordan is deluding himself if he thinks Rosberg did that deliberately in repayment for Belgium. Just asked Toto Wolff whether that was the case. To say Wolff was perplexed would be an understatement. Then, to make matters worse for old Eddie, he goes on an assessment of the race making it look like Rosberg is the real winner today for limiting the damage....even though he had the race under full control. What a tool!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2841: Sep 07, 2014 05:53:03 pm
      What a race, a start Lewis could 't avoid  but my what a comeback on such a fast track.
      Can't understand Nico's 1st error at the chicane but his 2nd was definitely due to pressure from Lewis, didn't like his attitude post race either talking italian to Massa i  front of Lewis when English is spoken by all.
      One things for certain the rest of the season is going to get more and more stressful for the pair with 50pts on the table at the last race.!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2842: Sep 07, 2014 06:11:55 pm
      Enjoyed that race for once.

Monza is a proper circuit, how many overtaking opportunities were there?

Not like these safer photogenic generic tracks that they are compulsed to generate nowadays.

I wish Hochenheim had not been bastardised to conform, that too was a real racing track.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2014 08:08:25 pm by RedPuppy »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2843: Sep 07, 2014 07:13:36 pm

Not like these safer photogenic generic tracks that they are compulsed to generate nowadays.

I wish Hochenhiem had not been bastardised to conform, that too was a real racking track.

Same as mate and it was enthralling viewing.
      Got to really appreciate the tactics and skill of the competitors, the way they were feigning an approach to a bend and making the car in front commit to a less than efficient decision by breaking to soon or too late was compulsive to watch.
      Agree about the courses, some have been over sanitised and it is virtually a boring procession, although after saying that older circuits such as Monte Carlo are not designed for F1 and the speeds reached today of up to 225 mph would be unimaginable for the most part.
       In that case the capabilities and performance of the cars and the drivers are dumbed down to tackle the slower than slow bends which racing cars of yester-year could negotiate with ease.
      Swings and roundabouts really to be fair.   
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2844: Sep 07, 2014 07:41:29 pm

I wish Hochenhiem had not been bastardised to conform, that too was a real racking track.

Still hate the fact old Hockenheim was dug up.
      Grateful to have been there before and after, but the original was fantastic.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2845: Sep 07, 2014 09:48:37 pm
      One other thing of interest from today's brilliant race was Vettel once again being beaten by his team mate. Once more this season, his long time detractors have jumped on this opportunity to de glorify his achievements of the last 4 years, rolling out that old cliche 'It was all about the car'. I refuse to believe that but I do accept that Vettel is getting beaten fair and square and not having a great time of it. It must be very hard for him to adapt to an uncompetitive environment after 5 successive race winning seasons from 2009-2013. More so, it must be difficult trying to keep that adrenaline and competitive instinct going for as long as it has. Add in the factor that his personal circumstances have changed following the arrival of his child and it makes his lack of impact this season look understandable.

The question is - can he find his way back to the top or has Seb had his best days?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2846: Sep 08, 2014 09:30:37 am
      One other thing of interest from today's brilliant race was Vettel once again being beaten by his team mate. Once more this season, his long time detractors have jumped on this opportunity to de glorify his achievements of the last 4 years, rolling out that old cliche 'It was all about the car'. I refuse to believe that but I do accept that Vettel is getting beaten fair and square and not having a great time of it. It must be very hard for him to adapt to an uncompetitive environment after 5 successive race winning seasons from 2009-2013. More so, it must be difficult trying to keep that adrenaline and competitive instinct going for as long as it has. Add in the factor that his personal circumstances have changed following the arrival of his child and it makes his lack of impact this season look understandable.

The question is - can he find his way back to the top or has Seb had his best days?

I've said it before, when it comes down to Ricciardo V Vettel, and I think it's important.
      This years Red Bull is the best car that Ricciardo has ever driven.
      This years Red Bull is the worst Red Bull that Vettel has ever driven.

They both come at this season's car from completely different viewpoints.
      Crucially Ricciardo's car gives him more confidence than any other he has driven.
      Confidence is everything in sport.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2847: Sep 14, 2014 06:31:45 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2848: Sep 14, 2014 06:46:13 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2849: Sep 15, 2014 09:56:39 am

Prost's obviously been watching his old man's videos.
      c**t of a move on Heidfeld in the last corner on the last lap.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2850: Sep 15, 2014 10:11:05 pm
      What an amazing man.
      Alex Zanardi. Touch the Sky.

TOUCH THE SKY on Vimeo
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2851: Oct 05, 2014 03:40:48 pm
      Vettel leaving Red Bull Ferrari, I'd expect we will see Alonso head to Red Bull now.

Quick Reply