Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Formula 1

Read 576726 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3220: Feb 24, 2016 04:38:22 pm
      I'll hopefully get a chance to read them later mate.

Plenty in there :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3221: Mar 01, 2016 06:07:18 pm
      Good to see McLaren making some sort of progress in this second round of testing. Had a minor hiccup shortly before lunch apparently but reliability issues seem to be decreasing as Alonso completes 93 laps.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3222: Mar 02, 2016 12:27:52 am
      Good to see McLaren making some sort of progress in this second round of testing. Had a minor hiccup shortly before lunch apparently but reliability issues seem to be decreasing as Alonso completes 93 laps.

93 laps today compared to the 117 they managed for the entire pre season testing last year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #3223: Mar 02, 2016 12:32:52 am
      93 laps today compared to the 117 they managed for the entire pre season testing last year.

Hopefully a sign of better times ahead for McLaren.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3224: Mar 02, 2016 09:37:56 pm
      Hopefully a sign of better times ahead for McLaren.

Button with 121 laps today.
      Massive step forward.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #3225: Mar 19, 2016 12:16:09 am
      Looking forward to the first GP but it'll have to be highlights for me this weekend as I'm working.

Will give me a chance to see what CH4 make of the F1 coverage.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3226: Mar 19, 2016 12:30:58 am
      Looking forward to the first GP but it'll have to be highlights for me this weekend as I'm working.

Will give me a chance to see what CH4 make of the F1 coverage.

I'm sure Channel 4 will do it justice in a way that BBC couldn't quite after losing the full time contract. Still believe that we shouldn't be paying to watch the likes of f1 and many other sports.

Despite the quality of racing the last three years I'm still looking forward to this. I'll probably get up in a few hours to watch it on a stream on laptop. Think Mercedes will still top it but expecting Ferrari to be closer immediately which will make things interesting!

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #3227: Mar 19, 2016 12:34:51 am
      I'm sure Channel 4 will do it justice in a way that BBC couldn't quite after losing the full time contract. Still believe that we shouldn't be paying to watch the likes of f1 and many other sports.

Despite the quality of racing the last three years I'm still looking forward to this. I'll probably get up in a few hours to watch it on a stream on laptop. Think Mercedes will still top it but expecting Ferrari to be closer immediately which will make things interesting!

Agree on both points in regards to CH4 and that it should be free mate.

On the racing front I'm really hoping Ferrari have made up enough ground to make things more interesting this season.

Although I did rally enjoy last season but that might be more for the fact I managed to make time to watch the entire season either live or highlights.

Hopefully Williams can push the two above them as well and I'm really keen to see how Haas and Renault get on, along with the talent that is Max Verstappen as well.

Can't wait.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3228: Mar 19, 2016 12:47:25 am
      Agree on both points in regards to CH4 and that it should be free mate.

On the racing front I'm really hoping Ferrari have made up enough ground to make things more interesting this season.

Although I did rally enjoy last season but that might be more for the fact I managed to make time to watch the entire season either live or highlights.

Hopefully Williams can push the two above them as well and I'm really keen to see how Haas and Renault get on, along with the talent that is Max Verstappen as well.

Can't wait.

Good shout. Absolutely going to love watching the continued progress of Verstappen. Also a shout out to Carlos Sainz Jnr. Unfairly overlooked last year even though he out qualified Max 10-9! Some shocking reliability cost him so so many points. Definitely worth backing is Carlos - his record in lower formulas was fantastic as well. Two naturally born racers, two future world champions in my view. Could develop into a glorious and prosperous rivalry beyond their Toro Rosso careers.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3229: Mar 19, 2016 09:28:42 pm
      That quali session earlier today was a pathetic failure in the end. Just want to scream in Bernie's face 'For the love of god just STOP and GO AWAY!'

Just reminded a little earlier that it is 20 years since F1 first visited Albert Park in Melbourne. One of the truly great race tracks and here's to the next 20 years!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3230: Mar 19, 2016 10:51:15 pm
      That quali session earlier today was a pathetic failure in the end. Just want to scream in Bernie's face 'For the love of god just STOP and GO AWAY!'

Just reminded a little earlier that it is 20 years since F1 first visited Albert Park in Melbourne. One of the truly great race tracks and here's to the next 20 years!

Who knew they'd all go out early, do one lap, and then there would be no action at all at the end of the session.
      Oh. That's right. We all did.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3231: Mar 19, 2016 10:58:20 pm
      Who knew they'd all go out early, do one lap, and then there would be no action at all at the end of the session.
      Oh. That's right. We all did.

It's unbelievable. The teams warned that it WOULD happen...the FIA wouldn't listen. What fools we have.

How I wish for the old days of the screaming V10s, unrestricted testing, aggressive race strategies! Those WERE the days!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3232: Mar 19, 2016 11:35:17 pm
      It's unbelievable. The teams warned that it WOULD happen...the FIA wouldn't listen. What fools we have.

How I wish for the old days of the screaming V10s, unrestricted testing, aggressive race strategies! Those WERE the days!

They were!
      Little did we know they changed it into a convoluted mess.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3233: Mar 19, 2016 11:48:13 pm
      Hmm, still expect to see Alonso and Button having a frustrating season. McLaren just aren't filling me with any optimism, yes they've made progress but they will be no where the front runners. I hope it's not another season like last, not from McLaren's view but in general because it became very boring it was so predictable.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3234: Mar 20, 2016 12:02:46 am
      They were!
      Little did we know they changed it into a convoluted mess.

The dominance of the V10 era by Ferrari and Schumacher was boring to some. Not for me! It wasn't primarily because Schumi was my hero growing up but it was the sound and sheer force of that Ferrari f1 team at the peak of their powers that was mindblowingly awesome. I could watch videos of Schumacher and co wringing the car round all the great tracks of the world with not a concern in the world and it would be poetry in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__4XNcGIbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqyfKlKKsI

Hmm, still expect to see Alonso and Button having a frustrating season. McLaren just aren't filling me with any optimism, yes they've made progress but they will be no where the front runners. I hope it's not another season like last, not from McLaren's view but in general because it became very boring it was so predictable.

Indeed! I actually fear, as some in f1 have suggested, that Fernando might pack it in midway through the season. I can't bear seeing these two legends of the sport in Alonso and Button petering out their careers in that car. Someone, Red Bull or Mercedes SIGN FERNANDO up so he stays and can at the very least compete for another f1 world title! A man of his talent does not deserve just two titles the last of which was won in 2006 nearly 10 years ago. That is unbelievable as I was certain he was going on for at least 5 titles in his career. Fernando was also involved in amazing championship battles, the last of which was 2012 - ie the last good season in f1.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3235: Mar 20, 2016 12:24:45 am
      Indeed! I actually fear, as some in f1 have suggested, that Fernando might pack it in midway through the season. I can't bear seeing these two legends of the sport in Alonso and Button petering out their careers in that car. Someone, Red Bull or Mercedes SIGN FERNANDO up so he stays and can at the very least compete for another f1 world title! A man of his talent does not deserve just two titles the last of which was won in 2006 nearly 10 years ago. That is unbelievable as I was certain he was going on for at least 5 titles in his career. Fernando was also involved in amazing championship battles, the last of which was 2012 - ie the last good season in f1.

Unfortunately Alonso's career looks to have been petering out for the last few seasons now. Think his biggest mistake was going to Ferrari instead of Red Bull. Everywhere he has gone since leaving McLaren has been disappointment and he hasn't had a car good enough to match his ability.

I remember Hamilton's debut season, what a battle that was between Fernando, Kimi and Lewis and it went right to the wire. The Massa vs Hamilton season, the one that followed it(?) was another good one but I'm struggling to remember many more decent ones than that. We've had Vettell dominating for four years and then Mercedes rising to the top.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3236: Mar 20, 2016 12:32:13 am
      Unfortunately Alonso's career looks to have been petering out for the last few seasons now. Think his biggest mistake was going to Ferrari instead of Red Bull. Everywhere he has gone since leaving McLaren has been disappointment and he hasn't had a car good enough to match his ability.

I remember Hamilton's debut season, what a battle that was between Fernando, Kimi and Lewis and it went right to the wire. The Massa vs Hamilton season, the one that followed it(?) was another good one but I'm struggling to remember many more decent ones than that. We've had Vettell dominating for four years and then Mercedes rising to the top.

2007 was utterly marvellous as was the season following it as you mention.

For me 2012 stands out in the years after 2008 purely because of Fernando's outrageous challenge for the title in a Ferrari that was no where near as good as the Red Bull of Vettel's. Think the last time something like that happened was Schumacher in 1998 where he pushed the far superior McLaren of Mika Hakkinen's to the wire.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3237: Mar 23, 2016 08:02:45 pm
      End of the road for F1 on free to air tv in the UK from 2019. Sky sign exclusive rights to every race for 5 years from that point onwards.

They certainly won't be sucking my wallet dry for that and merely confirms F1 as a second order sport nowadays. From the highs of 15 million watching Hamilton claim the championship in 2008 to the lows of half a million viewers per race. What a climb down. What a fall. As a mainstream sport that is the end of it for F1.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #3238: Mar 24, 2016 12:19:43 am
      End of the road for F1 on free to air tv in the UK from 2019. Sky sign exclusive rights to every race for 5 years from that point onwards.

They certainly won't be sucking my wallet dry for that and merely confirms F1 as a second order sport nowadays. From the highs of 15 million watching Hamilton claim the championship in 2008 to the lows of half a million viewers per race. What a climb down. What a fall. As a mainstream sport that is the end of it for F1.

F**k that.

Won't be long before there isn't any sport on free to air TV.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3240: Mar 28, 2016 12:35:13 am
      Wow, Alonso is lucky to be alive!!

F**k that.

Won't be long before there isn't any sport on free to air TV.

Disgrace isn't it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3241: Apr 02, 2016 10:30:09 pm

I made some mock ups. Designed by the guy that did Tron: Legacy
      Cool concept. For me it would be a support act only, but who knows?

http://motorsport.ie/2016/03/31/revealed-daniel-simons-vision-for-roboracing/

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3242: Apr 02, 2016 10:31:37 pm

Quick Reply