Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572189 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3588: Dec 04, 2016 02:21:16 am
      IF Alonso does go to Mercedes then who takes over his spot at McLaren?

I would love to see Lewis and Fernando reunited (2007 was the most dramatic season I witnessed on and off the track - seemed a perfect formula before they fu**ed around with the cars from 2009 onwards) but at the same time I know McLaren would be somewhat fu**ed without the brilliance of the Spaniard. Would Jenson answer the call so quickly? I doubt it. I think he's made his mind up with McLaren. I don't think he enjoyed the last few years and he would believe he'd just be wasting his time tugging that milk float Honda motor through the field for another year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3589: Dec 04, 2016 08:04:04 am
      Valtteri maybe to replace Nico?

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3590: Dec 04, 2016 09:52:02 am
      I would love to see Lewis and Fernando reunited (2007 was the most dramatic season I witnessed on and off the track - seemed a perfect formula before they fu**ed around with the cars from 2009 onwards) but at the same time I know McLaren would be somewhat fu**ed without the brilliance of the Spaniard. Would Jenson answer the call so quickly? I doubt it. I think he's made his mind up with McLaren. I don't think he enjoyed the last few years and he would believe he'd just be wasting his time tugging that milk float Honda motor through the field for another year.

That'd be the dream duo for me but I can't imagine arguably the two best drivers on the grid driving such a slow car (I can't see it improving in the next couple of years). I'm still shocked that Alonso has stuck around despite being under contract. With driver moves already being made it'd be good for McLaren if they found out Alonso's intentions and made their move accordingly if he is interested in Mercedes. The last thing they want is picking up somebody off the scrap heap. I can't remember what he was like completely but Di Resta never seemed a bad driver, it was the money he brought in that was an issue wasn't it?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3591: Dec 04, 2016 12:36:47 pm
      That'd be the dream duo for me but I can't imagine arguably the two best drivers on the grid driving such a slow car (I can't see it improving in the next couple of years). I'm still shocked that Alonso has stuck around despite being under contract. With driver moves already being made it'd be good for McLaren if they found out Alonso's intentions and made their move accordingly if he is interested in Mercedes. The last thing they want is picking up somebody off the scrap heap. I can't remember what he was like completely but Di Resta never seemed a bad driver, it was the money he brought in that was an issue wasn't it?

That's a decent shout. I thought Di Resta was a good driver as well. However I couldn't be doing with the endless stream of excuses he'd come up with when he failed to perform or retired from races. He never took responsibility for his own results and for that reason he was going to be nothing beyond decent in my view. There's no one in GP2 that particularly excites me for the future either.

Very outside bet but I'd love to see Carlos Sainz Jr get the seat alongside Lewis. I think he's a fantastic driver with the potential to challenge for a title if he was given a top drive at a top team. Definitely one of my favourite rookies to have emerged in the last few years. Really unheralded especially last year where he was somewhat unlucky to be beaten by Verstappen in the championship due to a string of mechanical failures on his car while running in some nice points paying positions. Don't think he'd beat Lewis but he'd certainly guarantee the team some serious quality as a number 2.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3592: Dec 05, 2016 12:07:55 am
      Another podcast.
      F1 content in it.
      Rosberg v Hamilton.
      An interview with Tommy Byrne.
      Done the day before Rosberg announced his retirement. The b*****d.
      https://soundcloud.com/motorsport_ie/episode-2
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3593: Dec 05, 2016 02:53:24 pm

After a gap of what will be 10 years, the French Grand Prix will return to its old haunt Paul Ricard which last hosted the race in 1990. Delightful news!  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3594: Dec 06, 2016 05:06:54 pm
      That's a decent shout. I thought Di Resta was a good driver as well. However I couldn't be doing with the endless stream of excuses he'd come up with when he failed to perform or retired from races. He never took responsibility for his own results and for that reason he was going to be nothing beyond decent in my view. There's no one in GP2 that particularly excites me for the future either.

Very outside bet but I'd love to see Carlos Sainz Jr get the seat alongside Lewis. I think he's a fantastic driver with the potential to challenge for a title if he was given a top drive at a top team. Definitely one of my favourite rookies to have emerged in the last few years. Really unheralded especially last year where he was somewhat unlucky to be beaten by Verstappen in the championship due to a string of mechanical failures on his car while running in some nice points paying positions. Don't think he'd beat Lewis but he'd certainly guarantee the team some serious quality as a number 2.

Sainz has definitely been on of my favourites this year. Wouldn't mind him at McLaren in the future if they can sort the car out and compete at the top again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3595: Dec 12, 2016 02:15:54 pm
      Loving the new Ross Brawn and Adam Parr book on F1 strategy and the key to success in sport and management. A book anyone could learn from and interesting reading it seeing similarities for success in other sports including football.

Looks like Mercedes are filing away at Williams for the services of Bottas. As solid a replacement for Rosberg. Not as good but quick enough. Lewis will be satisfied in that he's probably a driver who could threaten him from time to time but probably would not challenge him. A bit like the Schumi/Rubens combination at Ferrari.

Perhaps even more interesting is the possibility of Paddy Lowe leaving Mercedes to become Technical Director of Williams. I'm amazed because he's only been at Merc for three years. He's provided his teams with race winning cars for most of his career so that's great news for Williams. If Lance Stroll can fulfill his potential with Lowe on the technical side then the future is looking bright for Williams.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3596: Dec 21, 2016 01:56:55 pm
      I'm looking forward to seeing how Valtteri gets on in the Mercedes.

For me he has shown glimpses of being very fast in the right car and could give Lewis a run for his money.

Red Bull the most intriguing though for next season to see if they can capitalise on the changes and make the most of two very fast drivers.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3597: Dec 21, 2016 07:56:39 pm

For me he has shown glimpses of being very fast in the right car and could give Lewis a run for his money.

Red Bull the most intriguing though for next season to see if they can capitalise on the changes and make the most of two very fast drivers.

I think he's the perfect partner for Lewis. Quick enough to keep him honest but I'd be astonished if he could run him as close as Rosberg. His race craft is too passive at times. 

Agree about Red Bull - has there been a more aggressive and speedy pair in recent f1 history as Ricciardo and Verstappen? Unbelievable pair.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3598: Dec 22, 2016 11:13:25 pm

Still think would have been a perfect move for Alonso.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3599: Dec 22, 2016 11:28:19 pm
      Still think would have been a perfect move for Alonso.

Yep and what a fight that could have been between him and Lewis.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3600: Dec 22, 2016 11:32:15 pm
      Yep and what a fight that could have been between him and Lewis.

Without the move to Mercedes, I can't see Alonso competing yet again. It's hard to believe someone like Alonso has been out of the reckoning for so long now, an unfulfilled career from what he is capable of. Wouldn't be shocked if he calls it a day after next season, he's already said he's not happy with the direction it's heading in and considering his options.

Shame because like you say, would have been a great fight between him and Hamilton.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3601: Dec 22, 2016 11:34:13 pm
      Without the move to Mercedes, I can't see Alonso competing yet again. It's hard to believe someone like Alonso has been out of the reckoning for so long now, an unfulfilled career from what he is capable of. Wouldn't be shocked if he calls it a day after next season, he's already said he's not happy with the direction it's heading in and considering his options.

Shame because like you say, would have been a great fight between him and Hamilton.

It is a shame as I'd love to see both him and McLaren competing properly again.

Don't think it'll be anytime soon though.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3602: Jan 10, 2017 05:40:36 pm
      So Paddy put on gardening leave by Merc before he joins Williams & Merc appoint Alison who was put on gardening leave by Ferrari ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3603: Jan 10, 2017 08:59:14 pm
      So Paddy put on gardening leave by Merc before he joins Williams & Merc appoint Alison who was put on gardening leave by Ferrari ;D

Don't think Hamilton will be too fussed after receiving that radio message from Lower where he was basically told to give up on attempting to win the championship!

Will be interesting to see how Lowe can influence Williams fortunes. A great signing for them. I'd love to see a Formula 1 where they were regular winners again. Problem with Williams is that despite having decent engines in the back of their cars the actual car itself has been underwhelming most of the time. The BMW partnership they had at the turn of the millennium started off so well with some great performances and victories under Ralf Schumacher and Montoya (now there's a driver who is missed!) before the chassis designers started getting 'freaky' with a walrus nose for the car and the whole partnership ended with a whimper.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3604: Jan 16, 2017 07:33:35 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38489054

Bottas officially unveiled as Mercedes replacement for Rosberg. Will be fascinating to see how he does, as good a replacement for Rosberg as anyone.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2017 12:52:15 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3605: Jan 17, 2017 12:29:18 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38489054

Bothers officially unveiled as Mercedes replacement for Rosberg. Will be fascinating to see how he does, as good a replacement for Rosberg as anyone.

Can't wait.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3606: Jan 17, 2017 09:49:31 am

Me either... Bottas is going to be awesome for Merc...

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3607: Jan 17, 2017 04:45:21 pm
      Me either... Bottas is going to be awesome for Merc...

Awesome enough to beat Lewis?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3608: Jan 19, 2017 10:40:16 am

Awesome enough not be destroyed mentally when Lewis turns up the pressure to 2016 levels.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3609: Jan 19, 2017 11:19:01 pm

I can't see it myself. Don't think he's aggressive enough from what I've seen so far. I do like the pairing though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3610: Jan 23, 2017 07:07:57 pm
      Looks like Bernie is a goner.

Quick Reply