Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572054 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #2714: Apr 06, 2014 11:44:23 am
      Glad to see there's another McLaren fan on here!

I've always liked McLaren.

Pity Ron called them Manchester United a few weeks ago.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2715: Apr 07, 2014 02:03:16 am
      Today was one of the best F1 races I've seen in a long long time. There was more action in that Grand Prix than there was in the whole of last season. The battle between Hamilton and Rosberg at the front was absolutely thrilling and I can't remember a better display of defensive driving from an f1 driver as I have with Lewis. It was sensational! Let's hope for more of the same from this unique double act.

And as if that wasn't enough you had all that crazy action that was going on behind. Lost count the amount of times Ricciardo was in a battle with someone and also how great was it to see Force India up there on the podium?! Would have loved a Williams to be there but given their form I'm sure we'll see their drivers (or both) on the podium soon.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2716: Apr 07, 2014 09:45:51 am
      What is up with the Car numbers this year?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2717: Apr 07, 2014 09:56:34 am
      What is up with the Car numbers this year?

Drivers pick their own numbers and that number is assigned to them for their career.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2718: Apr 07, 2014 10:00:55 am
      Drivers pick their own numbers and that number is assigned to them for their career.

Bonkers!, just another attempt at branding & copyright.

I guess that does not apply to No.1, and who'd want to be a No.2?

It was better when the teams were assigned numbers, but all I can remember was the team assigned 27 &28.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2719: Apr 07, 2014 10:29:36 am
      Bonkers!, just another attempt at branding & copyright.

I guess that does not apply to No.1, and who'd want to be a No.2?

It was better when the teams were assigned numbers, but all I can remember was the team assigned 27 &28.

Current champion gets No 1.
      Vettel has picked 5.
      Nobody has picked 2.

Ferrari had 27 & 28. Iconic numbers.
      Senna had 12 @ Lotus and McLaren.
      Red 5 was always a favourite.

Moto GP assign a number to the riders, NASCAR do it too.
      Massive merchandising drives behind it and I'm surprised F1 are only at it now.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2720: Apr 07, 2014 10:40:33 am
      Red 5

or

I knew about NASCAR, may watch the highlights on iPlayer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2721: Apr 07, 2014 10:56:39 am
      Red 5

or

I knew about NASCAR, may watch the highlights on iPlayer.

Both. :D

Schuey was 5 when he was at Benetton.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2722: Apr 07, 2014 10:59:42 am
      Both. :D

Schuey was 5 when he was at Benetton.

But he wasn't RED:f_tongueincheek:

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2723: Apr 07, 2014 11:04:14 am

I know.
      He did for one race.
      Can't remember why.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2724: Apr 14, 2014 05:56:48 pm
      Stefano Domenicali has stepped down from Ferrari.
      It may be a loss but it's more a sign that they know they've monumentally blown the chance these rule changes gave them.

Always thought himself and Whitmarsh were almost too nice for the "Piranha Club"

Just Horner left in the same role of all the top 5 teams.
      It's been a turbulent few months.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2725: Apr 14, 2014 07:11:27 pm
      Stefano Domenicali has stepped down from Ferrari.
      It may be a loss but it's more a sign that they know they've monumentally blown the chance these rule changes gave them.

Always thought himself and Whitmarsh were almost too nice for the "Piranha Club"

Just Horner left in the same role of all the top 5 teams.
      It's been a turbulent few months.

The Piranha Club doesn't exist anymore in my eyes. There was a time, Ron Dennis, Frank Williams, Jean Todt, Eddie Jordan, Ken Tyrrell, Flavio Briatore. Now it's very tame in comparison. They are all very media conscious and afraid of upsetting the sponsors, drivers anyone. Christian Horner is the epitome of the modern day team principle. Polished performer in front of the cameras, diplomatic speech to the drivers - all very nice but boring as hell! And you're right Whitmarsh and Domenicalli were just too nice. I'm surprised Domenicali lasted this long to be fair. It will be interesting to see how the new guy Marco Mattiacci will get on and how he can galvanise that team.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #2726: Apr 18, 2014 06:03:14 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2727: Apr 18, 2014 06:34:44 pm

The sooner that clown is out of F1 the better. He's so unreliable and reckless.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2728: Apr 18, 2014 06:42:53 pm

Agreed. He's a F***ing idiot.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2729: Apr 20, 2014 08:44:18 am
      Great battle between Rosberg and Vettel on lap 23 there !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2730: Apr 20, 2014 01:55:28 pm

So is Grosjean, he's caused quite a few crashes
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2731: Apr 22, 2014 11:59:27 am
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #2732: Apr 30, 2014 07:21:09 pm
      Today in 1994, Roland Ratzenberger went down to the Villeneuve corner at Imola, and never made it back.

Everyone tends to forget about him though, such was the magnitude of what happened during the race.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2733: Apr 30, 2014 07:25:09 pm
      Just been watching the Senna tributes on Sky from earlier in the week and one was titled 'last team mate' or something like that but they we're talking to David Brabham Roland's teammate at the time, it was a very moving programme as they also spoke with damon regarding Ayrton's demise as well.
      Rest in peace both of them !
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2734: Apr 30, 2014 07:37:57 pm
      Today in 1994, Roland Ratzenberger went down to the Villeneuve corner at Imola, and never made it back.

Everyone tends to forget about him though, such was the magnitude of what happened during the race.

I haven't forgot him.

Ayrton Senna anniversary: Roland Ratzenberger 'merits Imola plaque'
      Roland Ratzenberger deserves a permanent tribute at Imola alongside Ayrton Senna's statue, according to his former team-mate David Brabham.

The Austrian died after crashing in qualifying at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix, a day before ex-world champion Senna lost his life in the race.
      Brabham believes Ratzenberger should at least have a "simple plaque" at the circuit to commemorate him.

"I was sad when I heard there was nothing for Roland," he told BBC Sport.

There will be a special memorial service for the former Simtek driver on Wednesday - exactly 20 years since the accident - and it is understood a ceramic memorial image of Ratzenberger will be unveiled.

Both he and Senna will also be remembered in four days of public events at Imola from Thursday to Sunday.
      'Ideal racing driver'

Ratzenberger was 33 when he died. He had signed a deal with the small Oxfordshire-based team at the start of the season, and in doing so realised a lifelong dream to compete in Formula 1.

"He didn't have it easy," added Brabham, son of three-time world champion Sir Jack. "He had no real help in terms of racing from his parents - his dad didn't approve, so Roland went off on his own."

The Austrian raced in touring cars, Formula 3000 and Le Mans 24 Hours, before he got the chance to race for Simtek after impressing team owner and passenger Nick Wirth on a thrilling drive in Banbury in a Ford Fiesta.

"That story about him and Nick wouldn't surprise me. Roland would have done anything to get a seat," added Brabham.

"I'm glad we'd signed him. For me he was the ideal racing driver - he was fit, good-looking and had a great smile. He was fast in the car and understood the car. He was a real asset for us as a team."

After failing to qualify for the 1994 opener in Brazil, Ratzenberger finished a commendable 11th at the Pacific Grand Prix in Japan - a race that had 15 retirements.

"I qualified for Brazil, but he didn't, but then we both made Japan," said the 48-year-old Brabham.

"We were talking about that race - he managed a finish. That was a big effort for a new team. Both of us were looking forward to the European races."

Brabham had more experience in the sport. He was asked at Imola by Ratzenberger to test his car's carbon brakes, which the Austrian had complained about. Once that issue was resolved, the Australian said his team-mate felt a lot better and was confident of braking.

Unfortunately for Ratzenberger, it was another car part that was the cause of his fatal accident.

Earlier in the qualifying session, Ratzenberger's front wing had been damaged; it later broke and became lodged under his car. Unable to control the Simtek, he crashed into the concrete wall at the Villeneuve corner.

"I can't remember how long into the session it was," Brabham said.

"We had done some qualifying runs. I came round Tamburello [curve] and the red flag had come out - actually I think they were yellows at first. I slowed down.

"He'd finished up at the middle of the corner - we ended up going around the outside of the car. When I saw the bits first and saw where the car ended up, I was concerned - that was the fastest part of the circuit. You're doing 300-something kilometres an hour. I looked and immediately thought he was gone - his head position, his visor was up.

"You thought 'that doesn't look good' - then your brain goes into protection mode or something. The next thought I had was I had to get back to the pits to keep the tyres warm which is the most ridiculous thing to think about, but that's what I thought about."

Brabham returned to the Simtek team, where his wife, pregnant with their first child, was waiting for him.

"She asked 'what do you think?' I just told her that I didn't see life in the car and that he was gone, although I hoped I was wrong. A little while afterwards, that was unfortunately confirmed.

"I don't remember much of the rest of the day. We put the shutter down in the garage and we walked back. There weren't a lot of people talking. Everyone was in a state of shock. Nobody could comprehend what had happened.

"I don't remember much until the evening when the team sat me down and told me they had spoken to FIA [governing body of F1] and that the decision was up to me whether we continued to race."

"I thought Roland had died on impact - to me that was obvious," added the Australian, who quit F1 at the end of that year.

"Normally those things can take some time [to be confirmed]. I watched the Senna movie and saw the camera showing somebody coming up to tell me the news. I put my head down and walked away."

Brabham said he decided to compete in the race after completing a warm-up.

"I did notice when I came into the pits on Sunday that this incredibly dark cloud heaviness surrounding the team had shifted ever so slightly," he said. "I thought I have to pick this team up and continue what we're doing. I decided to race, really for the guys."

He added: "I never grieved - I don't know why. I never broke down or anything like that. I don't know whether it was because I didn't allow myself because I had to keep going, keep pushing. I had to keep Simtek going."

Some see Ratzenberger as the 'forgotten man' of that tragic weekend, but the Australian disagrees.

"There's looking at it that way or the other way, which I prefer," said Brabham, who had been exchanging letters with Ratzenberger's parents up until recently.

"Would we still be talking about Roland 20 years on if only Roland had died? The fact he died on the same weekend as Senna means he will always be remembered."

Brabham admitted that a recent visit to the circuit had awoken the memories of that race and of his team-mate - painful, but also positive.

"There was no bad bone in him. He was very charming and had a fun side - everyone liked him," he said.

"Roland probably died happy because he was in Formula 1 - he had a smile on his face that day and that is the last memory I have of him."

'Ayrton Senna - 20 years on' will be on BBC Radio 5 live on Thursday 1 May at 19:30 BST
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27068212
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2735: May 01, 2014 09:46:33 am

Corinthian players yesterday.

Quote from Brabham.

Senna running to join Prof Watkins in order to attend Ratzenberger's accident scene.

Saudade.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2736: May 01, 2014 07:43:51 pm
      Ayrton Senna: the gladiatorial virtuoso who still sets the standard
      The Brazilian's death 20 years ago led to improved safety in Formula One and a surge in popularity for a sport still reeling from the loss of a complex and brilliant man

When they came to erect a memorial to Ayrton Senna opposite the place where he died, the people of Imola settled on a statue that showed him not in a moment of triumph on the podium at a circuit where he had won three grands prix, but in a more contemplative pose, sitting on the pit wall in his racing overalls with his head bowed, as if lost in thought.

Thousands will spend a silent moment in front of that statue this weekend, thronging to the circuit to commemorate the tragedy at the San Marino Grand Prix 20 years ago, but not everyone appreciated the sculptor's work. Many Brazilians were disappointed that, although producing an excellent likeness, he had failed to reflect the life-affirming joy Senna's victories had brought them. Others, however, felt it evoked the deeper and more unusual qualities the triple champion brought to a sport in which a gift for introspection had not previously rated highly among the attributes required of a great driver.

Senna had everything it would take to create the grand prix hero of Hollywood's dreams. But something else, something more mysterious, captivated not just the fans who continue to revere his memory but later generations of drivers to whom he represents a permanent reference point.

"We are made of emotions," he once said, and his own were on show not just at moments of triumph or betrayal but in the way he drove, usually on the limit of control as he fought for one of his 65 pole positions or 41 race wins, fending off the challenge from his closest rivals, the small group of men who made up a remarkable generation of champions: Nelson Piquet, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell.

His greatest moments were some of the finest ever witnessed in the sport: the long awaited first victory in his home grand prix – in São Paulo, his birthplace – in 1991, battling with a car stuck in sixth gear, and the mind-boggling first lap in the rain and murk at Donington Park two years later, when he went from fifth to first – past Michael Schumacher, past Karl Wendlinger, past Damon Hill, past an astonished and helpless Prost – in the space of a minute and a half of heart-stopping virtuosity and implacable willpower.

Then, too, there was the qualifying lap at Monaco in 1988, when he took pole position with a lap a second and a half faster than his nearest challenger, during which he realised that he was no longer in control of the car in the normal way. "I was in a different dimension," he said. "It frightened me because I was well beyond my conscious understanding."

Senna thought hard about what he did and what it meant, and he was never afraid to share his conclusions. Not many of his predecessors as world champion would have told the world that, on the last corner at Suzuka in 1988, as he prepared to take the chequered flag and his first world title along with it, he saw the face of God.

His faith was personal in nature, hard to explain and even harder to comprehend, but its existence was not in doubt. "I am able to experience God's presence on earth," he said, although religious ritual seemed to have little to do with it. "If I go to a church," he explained, "I go on my own and I like to be there alone. I find more peace that way."

Those who observed his rise often sought an explanation for his pre-eminence but none looked harder than Senna himself. "Sometimes I think I know some of the reasons why I do things the way I do in a car and sometimes I don't know why," he said. "There are moments that seem to be the natural instinct that is in me. Whether I have been born with it, or whether this feeling has grown in me more than other people, I don't know, but it is inside me and it takes over with a great amount of space and intensity."

The less appealing features of his career aroused an ambivalent response among those who found it hard to reconcile a man of such evident humanity and sensitivity with the competitor who in effect turned Formula One into a contact sport. The only excuse that can be made for the controversial collisions – with Prost and Mansell in particular – is his belief that he was in the right: something seemingly close to a divine right, in his mind, which only made it more troubling. When Schumacher followed his example, it was with a worldly cynicism absent from Senna's assaults on his rivals.

That the statue at Imola should depict a pensive figure has seemed particularly fitting since evidence emerged of his mental turmoil on 1 May, 1994. He was deeply unhappy with his car; that much was known. But not until much later would it become clear that the death of Roland Ratzenberger 24 hours earlier, preceded by a spectacular accident involving his compatriot Rubens Barrichello, had led him to serious consideration of retirement, worsening a mood already darkened by angry conversations with his brother, Leonardo, who had been sent from Brazil by the family to dissuade him from marrying Adriane Galisteu, his girlfriend of 14 months.

Had that Sunday continued without untoward incident, all those issues might well have been resolved. Within a month Adrian Newey's Williams-Renault FW16B, so unpredictable in its behaviour during the first two races, would give Hill, Senna's No2, the first of six grands prix wins that season, taking the Englishman to the verge of a world title denied only by Schumacher's chicanery. So had Senna survived, he would have won a fourth championship that year, perhaps reviving his appetite enough to continue his career with a team on the way to recovering their former dominance.

Then, surely, the titles that fell to Schumacher, Hill and Jacques Villeneuve in the following three years would also have been his, making him a seven-times champion at the relatively early age of 37. And at some point, had he married Adriane, his family would have reconciled themselves to his choice.

Instead we have the memory of a hero whose violent death prompted a surge in his sport's popularity around the world, while prompting successful efforts to ensure that others would not meet a similar fate. It is an image that refuses to fade or lose its appeal to the emotions. Twenty years later, and in a more scientific age, Ayrton Senna – a romantic, gladiatorial, complex virtuoso – still sets the standard.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/apr/30/ayrton-senna-death-formula-one-20-years

Quick Reply