Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 575359 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3059: Jul 26, 2015 02:59:23 pm
      Think Hamilton will be getting the beers in for Ricciardo tonight.

I think so! Lifetime supply of Fosters coming his way!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3060: Jul 26, 2015 03:00:50 pm
      I think so! Lifetime supply of Fosters coming his way!

ha ha
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3061: Jul 26, 2015 03:03:34 pm
      Did Kvyat finish 2nd? Top result for him if so.

He did mate.

Race of the season for me so far, purely because McLaren had a good day but there was action absolutely everywhere on track. Hats off to all drivers today after such a sad time for the sport.

Agreed mate, we'll get there again.

What a poignant result though, we mourn the death of Jules before the race and Vettel equals Sennas win record.  Very subdued scenes for the podium 3 there.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3062: Jul 26, 2015 03:28:20 pm
      Johnny Herbert can't get a word in edge ways with Damon Hill and when Damon Hill does finally stop talking they go to Niki Lauda :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3063: Jul 26, 2015 03:31:55 pm
      He did mate.

Agreed mate, we'll get there again.

What a poignant result though, we mourn the death of Jules before the race and Vettel equals Sennas win record.  Very subdued scenes for the podium 3 there.

It's a special landmark to reach for an F1 driver. The last one to reach that was of course Michael Schumacher at Monza 2000 I think. Asked about equalling the record in the press conference after that race, he broke down in tears which was quite something for someone who was known for keeping his emotions in check.

Made even more poignant with the fact that this is the first time Ferrari have won this race since 2004 when Michael took the flag. The German and Italian national anthems played during the podium is very familiar combo.

Keep fighting Michael.
      Bier
      Reply #3064: Jul 26, 2015 03:35:36 pm
      Verstappen finished 4th, crazy race!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3065: Jul 26, 2015 03:50:07 pm
      It's a special landmark to reach for an F1 driver. The last one to reach that was of course Michael Schumacher at Monza 2000 I think. Asked about equalling the record in the press conference after that race, he broke down in tears which was quite something for someone who was known for keeping his emotions in check.

Made even more poignant with the fact that this is the first time Ferrari have won this race since 2004 when Michael took the flag. The German and Italian national anthems played during the podium is very familiar combo.

Keep fighting Michael.

I stopped watching F1 because of the Ferrari/Schuey combo, came back to it after he retired then stopped being bothered about it again when it became the Vettel procession with Red Bull.  I hated what both teams did with Barrichello and Webber, holding them back to ensure the other driver won it cheapens their records.  Let them race and may the best man/car win.

Great action today though as I can't remember the last time I actually watched a race from beginning to end.

Anyway today is about Jules, nobody else.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3066: Jul 26, 2015 05:02:45 pm
      I stopped watching F1 because of the Ferrari/Schuey combo, came back to it after he retired then stopped being bothered about it again when it became the Vettel procession with Red Bull.  I hated what both teams did with Barrichello and Webber, holding them back to ensure the other driver won it cheapens their records.  Let them race and may the best man/car win.

Great action today though as I can't remember the last time I actually watched a race from beginning to end.

Anyway today is about Jules, nobody else.

I think the accusations about holding them back were over egged by a keen media looking to slap down He obvious superiority of Vettel and Schumacher.

Bar two incidents in Austria I think the whole situation with Barrichello and Schumacher was over egged. It's weird because when Barrichello would go complaining to the media about unfairness they'd (notably the British media) back him all the way with the typical accusations of 'cheating German' levelled towards Michael more often than not. Yet when he used the same complaints when racing our very own Jenson for the 2009 title the British media were quick to slap him down for not being quick enough.

Barrichello could also do the decency to remember that Schumacher himself would hold back to allow the Brazilian to win notably in Hungary 2002 and Italy 2002 when he could have won those races. Never saw anything to suggest that Barrichello and Webber were championship winning standard drivers.

I think performances like today show just how supreme a driver Vettel is despite the unfair accusations of him not being a true great etc etc. and what a classy message from the guy on behalf of Ferrari for Jules over the team radio at the end.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3067: Jul 26, 2015 10:50:21 pm
      Ferrari win.
      Red Bull double podium.
      McLaren double points.

Mercedes drivers imploding.

What. A. Race.

Fitting.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3068: Jul 29, 2015 11:14:21 pm
      Just been watching the Australian 2010 Grand Prix, I miss that Formula 1. Quick cars and it was continuously very competitive. The top 4 in the final standings were separated by just 16 points, that's almost unthinkable in today's racing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3069: Jul 30, 2015 10:20:35 pm
      Just been watching the Australian 2010 Grand Prix, I miss that Formula 1. Quick cars and it was continuously very competitive. The top 4 in the final standings were separated by just 16 points, that's almost unthinkable in today's racing.

That was a great Grand Prix! I remember Button was given a smashing by some sectors of the press for his move to McLaren and after being soundly beaten by his team mate in Bahrain they were quick to pounce. But then he rode a race of wisdom that day. His ability to judge weather conditions is second to none and that day was no different. Superb race!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3070: Jul 30, 2015 10:35:16 pm
      That was a great Grand Prix! I remember Button was given a smashing by some sectors of the press for his move to McLaren and after being soundly beaten by his team mate in Bahrain they were quick to pounce. But then he rode a race of wisdom that day. His ability to judge weather conditions is second to none and that day was no different. Superb race!

There was a point when he went in a lap or two early to put intermediates on whilst everybody else was still on slicks. The commentators were questioning him and saying how he made a mistake and I was sat there thinking 'you should know better than to question Button in these conditions'.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3071: Jul 30, 2015 10:52:04 pm
      There was a point when he went in a lap or two early to put intermediates on whilst everybody else was still on slicks. The commentators were questioning him and saying how he made a mistake and I was sat there thinking 'you should know better than to question Button in these conditions'.

Absolutely! I remember him winning the Malaysian GP in 2009 after making something like 6 stops in a race that was cancelled after barely reachin half way (I don't know if it did reach half way)! Jenson is one of the most wise and squeaky clean drivers ever. While he may lack the outright speed of a Hamilton or Vettel no one can doubt that his race craft is almost faultless, very rarely getting involved in collisions. A beautiful driver to watch on his day. Can't remember being more delighted than when he won the title in 2009. Got to be honest - I love the guy.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3072: Jul 30, 2015 11:08:48 pm
      Absolutely! I remember him winning the Malaysian GP in 2009 after making something like 6 stops in a race that was cancelled after barely reachin half way (I don't know if it did reach half way)! Jenson is one of the most wise and squeaky clean drivers ever. While he may lack the outright speed of a Hamilton or Vettel no one can doubt that his race craft is almost faultless, very rarely getting involved in collisions. A beautiful driver to watch on his day. Can't remember being more delighted than when he won the title in 2009. Got to be honest - I love the guy.

I loved it when he won the Canadian grand prix in 2011 after being near the back of the grid and he managed to snatch it on the very last lap as Vettel spun out. I'm just glad he managed to win that Championship in '09 because it would have been cruel for a man of his talent to not have won one in his career.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3073: Jul 30, 2015 11:40:51 pm
      I loved it when he won the Canadian grand prix in 2011 after being near the back of the grid and he managed to snatch it on the very last lap as Vettel spun out. I'm just glad he managed to win that Championship in '09 because it would have been cruel for a man of his talent to not have won one in his career.

Probably the greatest Grand Prix I've ever watched. From what I recall he was ridden with bad luck for well over half the race or so. Then, after the safety car came back out and went back in, the speed and perfection in manoeuvre was astonishing! I'll never forget jumping up and down when Vettel slid off wide on that last lap.

2011 was Jenson's greatest season in my opinion. Finished runner up to a dominant Vettel and Red Bull car and beat Fernando Alonso in his prime and still to this day the only season in which Lewis Hamilton has been beaten by his team mate in his whole racing career I believe. For me he was the number 1 driver of the season - if put in the Red Bull alongside him instead of the relatively impotent Mark Webber he could have caused severe problems for Seb. He was faultless that year. Shout out to his season in 2004 as well - countless podiums behind the uber dominant Ferrari and finished third in the championship behind Schumi and Barrichello. His talent really flourished that year racing his BAR Honda alongside the big guns of Ferrari and beating the others of McLaren, Williams BMW and Renault.

It's a shame - 2011 and 2004 get unfairly overlooked when we talk about Jenson. They were arguably his two finest seasons ahead of his title winning year in 2009!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3074: Jul 31, 2015 12:00:37 am
      Probably the greatest Grand Prix I've ever watched. From what I recall he was ridden with bad luck for well over half the race or so. Then, after the safety car came back out and went back in, the speed and perfection in manoeuvre was astonishing! I'll never forget jumping up and down when Vettel slid off wide on that last lap.

2011 was Jenson's greatest season in my opinion. Finished runner up to a dominant Vettel and Red Bull car and beat Fernando Alonso in his prime and still to this day the only season in which Lewis Hamilton has been beaten by his team mate in his whole racing career I believe. For me he was the number 1 driver of the season - if put in the Red Bull alongside him instead of the relatively impotent Mark Webber he could have caused severe problems for Seb. He was faultless that year. Shout out to his season in 2004 as well - countless podiums behind the uber dominant Ferrari and finished third in the championship behind Schumi and Barrichello. His talent really flourished that year racing his BAR Honda alongside the big guns of Ferrari and beating the others of McLaren, Williams BMW and Renault.

It's a shame - 2011 and 2004 get unfairly overlooked when we talk about Jenson. They were arguably his two finest seasons ahead of his title winning year in 2009!

I'm not going to disagree with you on that. The conditions were crazy as well if my memory serves me correctly. I've managed to find a video link for that race should you ever want to re-watch it... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f0jmz_f1-canadian-gp-2011-bbc-part-1_auto

2011 was a great season for him, he won the second half of the season comfortably against Vettel but Vettel had won a ton of points in the first half so it was always going to be difficult for Button to catch up. I've seen mixed info about Button over the past few days, some saying that he'll go to Williams but some saying McLaren are going to exercise a deal in his contract that keeps him at the team for a further year. If I was him I'd move to Williams because that's what he deserves but as a McLaren fan I massively dislike the idea of him leaving.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3075: Jul 31, 2015 11:31:58 am
      Agree on Jenson. It is a shame he hasn't got a better drive in recent years.

My favourite circuit of them all up next so I hope I'm off work to see the Grand Prix at Spa.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3076: Jul 31, 2015 11:57:37 am

My favourite circuit of them all up next so I hope I'm off work to see the Grand Prix at Spa.

It'll be interesting to see if McLaren will have made any improvements to their speed when Spa comes around. It's in 3 weeks isn't it?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3077: Jul 31, 2015 12:22:50 pm
      It'll be interesting to see if McLaren will have made any improvements to their speed when Spa comes around. It's in 3 weeks isn't it?

23rd August mate.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3078: Jul 31, 2015 10:23:42 pm
      I'm not going to disagree with you on that. The conditions were crazy as well if my memory serves me correctly. I've managed to find a video link for that race should you ever want to re-watch it... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f0jmz_f1-canadian-gp-2011-bbc-part-1_auto

2011 was a great season for him, he won the second half of the season comfortably against Vettel but Vettel had won a ton of points in the first half so it was always going to be difficult for Button to catch up. I've seen mixed info about Button over the past few days, some saying that he'll go to Williams but some saying McLaren are going to exercise a deal in his contract that keeps him at the team for a further year. If I was him I'd move to Williams because that's what he deserves but as a McLaren fan I massively dislike the idea of him leaving.

Would desperately love to see him back at Williams and finish his F1 career how he started it. He's given McLaren great service over the years and I was utterly thrilled when he moved from Brawn to them after his title winning season. But I think he's earned the right to move on now. Whether in good times or bad, he has just got on with the job.

Return to Williams and complete the full circle would be lovely and totally deserving of the gentleman!

Absolutely. The ultimate Grand Prix, one for the purists, the historians and most importantly the racers!

It's a special time of the year when we get round to Spa and then after that it's off to Monza. Pure Grand Prix racing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3079: Aug 22, 2015 02:06:56 pm
      Sublime and faultless driving from Hamilton round sensational Spa there to grab pole for tomorrow's race! Beats his team mate by nearly half a second! Fantastic once again from Lewis! According to Ben Edwards he's the first driver to claim 6 poles in a row since Michael Schumacher in the 2000-2001 seasons. An awesome qualifier!
      Bier
      Reply #3080: Aug 22, 2015 05:49:56 pm
      Nice bit about Verstappen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdv3jMQWXE0

He's totally obsessed with racing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3081: Aug 22, 2015 06:35:09 pm
      Nice bit about Verstappen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdv3jMQWXE0

He's totally obsessed with racing.

Brilliant film. Scary how he's only 17. The guy will have multiple world championships to aim for in the future.

Quick Reply