Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Don't Buy The Sun - The Guide

Read 313304 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Don't Buy The Sun - The Guide
      Reply #115: Jun 03, 2008 02:35:50 pm
      I always have to put the supplements into the papers on a Saturday morning for work and I always put the Sun and when possible the Daily Star out of sight. None of them ever get sold. When anyone asks me if we’ve got any the answers always, ‘No sorry about that’.
      Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #116: Jun 03, 2008 08:04:52 pm
      love it robbo. the dude in the uni shop is a red n refuses to stock it, much to the anger of the resident chavs. nice 1 dude
      h31p
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #117: Jun 15, 2008 09:57:34 am
      Hi all

I've been browsing these message boards for a few months now - they're great; good work mods et al!

Making a first post on a new messageboard or forum can be a bit daunting, especially when you don't know any of the other users - you don't know how they will respond to you / your comments.

Then I found this discussion. Enough said really. My first post had to come here!

I stopped buying / reading the Scum a year or so ago, but I never really understood the whole story behind why we, Liverpool fans, hate everything that rag stands for. I've been a Red for many years now, but have only started to get more serious, in terms of supporting the club, over the last couple of years. It's embarrassing to say that I didn't fully understand all that happened at Hillsborough, but I am educating myself now. Talking of emabarrassing points - I have still never been to Anfield! I have seen Liverpool play away, but never at home. This coming season will hopefully be the time when I change that!

I've kind of gone off the point here, so RIP to all that lost their lives on that terrible day!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #118: Jun 15, 2008 12:19:28 pm
      Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad this topic continues to help educate younger reds about the reasons why we choose not to buy this newspaper.
      JohnEFC
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #119: Jun 21, 2008 01:03:42 am
      I'm  a Blue but i will always always support this, the S*n need's f*****g closing down for the lies they made, not just on Liverpool FC but the city of Liverpool, that horrible paper gave Liverpool and scousers alike a name that we will never shake of, a name that we are now known by, by the rest of the country all because of a pathetic lonely little man called Kelvin Mckenzie, if i had one wish it would be to find this excuse of a man and torture the t**t to death it wont make up for what happened, but it would make me and possibly alot of other people happy, my dad's mate was very lucky to escape from H'boro and him and my Dad have had to live with what happened since, being a Blue doesn't come into things when this sort of thing happens, im incensed by that paper and will give anyone a piece of mind if i saw them reading it, god im so f*****g angry just thinking of what happened and trying to put down my feelings.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #120: Jun 21, 2008 10:03:56 am
      I'm  a Blue but I will always always support this, the S*n need's f*****g closing down for the lies they made, not just on Liverpool FC but the city of Liverpool, that horrible paper gave Liverpool and scousers alike a name that we will never shake of, a name that we are now known by, by the rest of the country all because of a pathetic lonely little man called Kelvin Mckenzie, if I had one wish it would be to find this excuse of a man and torture the t**t to death it wont make up for what happened, but it would make me and possibly alot of other people happy, my dad's mate was very lucky to escape from H'boro and him and my Dad have had to live with what happened since, being a Blue doesn't come into things when this sort of thing happens, im incensed by that paper and will give anyone a piece of mind if I saw them reading it, god im so f*****g angry just thinking of what happened and trying to put down my feelings.

Your comments are welcome mate.

Good post
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,689 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #121: Jun 21, 2008 09:23:36 pm
      I'm  a Blue but I will always always support this, the S*n need's f*****g closing down for the lies they made, not just on Liverpool FC but the city of Liverpool, that horrible paper gave Liverpool and scousers alike a name that we will never shake of, a name that we are now known by, by the rest of the country all because of a pathetic lonely little man called Kelvin Mckenzie, if I had one wish it would be to find this excuse of a man and torture the t**t to death it wont make up for what happened, but it would make me and possibly alot of other people happy, my dad's mate was very lucky to escape from H'boro and him and my Dad have had to live with what happened since, being a Blue doesn't come into things when this sort of thing happens, im incensed by that paper and will give anyone a piece of mind if I saw them reading it, god im so f*****g angry just thinking of what happened and trying to put down my feelings.
      V.good post. With it comes to our city liverpool, we(Reds) & Blues must be a strong family. But as always when it comes to football we start a small WAR.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #122: Jun 24, 2008 09:07:37 pm

Absolute fair play mate great post
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #123: Jul 08, 2008 03:29:30 pm
      We know what they said was a pack of lies. They know what they said was a pack of lies. So as far as anyone who still buys that paper, you can go and F**k off for alls I care, because it shouldn't be just Liverpool fans or just Scousers who should feel hurt it should be anyone who saw those images from Hillsborough on the 15.4.89. and any human being who read the headlines from that paper, and if those humans have a soul then believe me they will feel hurt. It sickens me to even think of what those so called journalists were thinking when writing those lies. And still nearly 20 years on an apology is too much for them. So I couldn't care anymore, as long as I know the boycott is still going on I will be happy. But again that boycott shouldn't be in Liverpool alone, it should be by every human being.
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2008 10:48:36 pm by dunlop_liddell_shankly »
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #124: Jul 24, 2008 08:31:55 am
      Justice ?
      15th April 1989 is a date that indelibly emblazoned across the hearts of every man, woman and child on Merseyside. A day that started with all the joy and expectancy of an FA Cup semi-final but which ultimately ended with ninety-six football fans losing their lives, for the support of their club.

Whilst Liverpool fans lay dead and dying on the Hillsborough turf, as trained police officers looked on, the cover-up into the causes of the disaster began. Graham Taylor falsely claimed that Liverpool fans had forced open a gate. The Hillsborough disaster was a catalogue of calamitous events- the incompetence of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, the ineptitude of South Yorkshire police, the ineffectiveness of Sheffield City Council (the club never even had a valid safety certificate) and the arrogance of the Football Association. The Association that chose to give Nottingham Forest considerably more tickets than Liverpool, despite having considerably fewer fans, citing traffic logistics as a reason.

The events served to bond the people of Liverpool closer than ever before as fans of all clubs paid their respects to the dead at Anfield. It was difficult not to be moved by the sight of a Manchester United fan sat crying and bewildered in the Albert pub next to Kop.

In the days that followed the disaster and despite all evidence being to the contrary The S*n newspaper decided to publish an article entitles “The Truth”, in which it claimed that Liverpool fans had robbed and urinated on the dead and had attacked the police, apparently our saviours. The investigations and evidence were to prove this to be lies. The police had chosen to open an exit gate at the Leppings Lane end of the ground, at the other side of the gate was the entrance to a tunnel leading to the central pens. There was no stewarding or policing at the tunnel, nor was there any signs to indicate alternative entrances to the terracing. At the end of the tunnel lay closed pens from which there was no way out for the ninety-six fans who lost their lives.

Since that day the S*n newspaper has been reviled on Merseyside and remains the subject of a mass boycott. We would urge all football fans of all clubs to consider how The S*n portrayed fellow football fans, in the days while we were all grieving, and would ask them to join our boycott of this vile rag. A recent media week study into the boycott on Merseyside estimated that the boycott had cost the S*n around £25 Million since the article.

Please Do Not Buy The S*n.

The Lord Justice Taylor inquiry into the events found the main cause of the disaster to be “The breakdown of Police control”. No court of law in this land has ever considered events after 3.15 on that day. Events such as the police refusing entry to the Stadium for Ambulance-men on the grounds that “People were fighting on the pitch”, events such as the Police sending for dog-handlers rather than emergency services with fence-cutting equipment. Anne Williams, who lost her fifteen year old son, Kevin, at Hillsborough describes the actions of the Liverpool fans that day as “heroic”, young untrained men trying to save the lives of the dead and injured, whilst trained Police Officers formed a cordon to keep fans off the pitch, and turned away ambulance-men armed with life-saving equipment.

Nobody has ever been held accountable in a British Courtroom for the events of that day, and the cover-up around Hillsborough continues. Anne received £3500 compensation for the loss of her young son whilst former police sergeant Martin Long received about one hundred times that amount for the Post Traumatic Stress he received whilst carrying out his duties.

As we enter the fifteenth season since the disaster, the dead, bereaved and survivors of Hillsborough still fight for Justice. There has to be some accountability for the death of ninety-six people, even if the authorities see them as merely football fans, in 1989 the lowest of the low. It appears increasingly likely that the fight for Justice will never be resolved in a British Courtroom and will reach its ultimate destination in the European Courts, but the people of Merseyside and the fans of Liverpool Football Club will not let the fight for “The Truth” go away.

Justice is a complex notion, it can mean so much on so many different levels. It is not something which is black and white, justice is the truth of Hillsborough and Justice is a struggle. It will not be achieved overnight, but it will be achieved, and it is only through truth and accountability that it can be achieved.

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign represents bereaved families, survivors and supporters campaigning for justice for the 96 people who died at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough football ground on 15th April 1989. The truth about Hillsborough is still denied by the authorities.

The campaign is situated at 178 Walton Breck Road, facing the Albert Pub and behind the Kop. All football fans are more than welcome to call in when you are at Anfield and have a look around our shop and premises, your support would be greatly appreciated, the group meet at 8pm every Monday evening at the premises.

John McCormick
      Hillsborough Justice Campaign
      IrishP
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #125: Sep 17, 2008 12:51:06 pm
      Never have and never will. The list of reasons would go on forever.

P
      burnsy1983
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #126: Sep 23, 2008 08:36:33 am
      Hi guys, The S*n newspaper is a crock of sh*te! Just so some of you know (as i'm sure many of you will) Anyone with Sky tv is also lining the pockets of rupert murdoch who owns BskyB as well as the s*n-thats why i have virgin media rather than have that gangster have my subscription fee.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #127: Sep 23, 2008 09:05:18 am
      Hi Burnsy welcome to the forum

I admire your principles regarding sky the problem with Murdoch is that he has his fingers in so many pies you never know when or if your lining his pockets.

My own personal opinion is keep the don't buy the sun campaign purely that, I feel extending it to all things Murdoch will just dilute the cause ( I also include the news of the world in that statement you can dress it up anyway you like it is still the sun on Sunday)

JUSTICE FOR THE 96
      Dan Winning
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #128: Oct 06, 2008 10:19:01 pm
      I bought the sun the other day on my way to college to read about the PSV match.. I'm only 16 so wasn't alive when it happened but I know a fair bit about it. I never knew about this though. Needless to say I will never be buying the Sun again.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #129: Oct 06, 2008 10:25:30 pm
      Good Lad Dan
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,226 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #130: Oct 06, 2008 11:12:18 pm
      If threads about this on all Liverpool forums can get to one fan a day each to get the message across about that paper its a positive. We need to keep educating never let it get away with its lies. Now Dan you pass on this to any mates of yours that follow Liverpool
      chatch1973
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts | -1 
      Reply #131: Oct 07, 2008 04:58:24 pm
       All my kids have been taught from day 1 not to buy the sun and have been made aware of the reasons why as far as i am concerned anyone related to the sun can burn in hell that includes that arsehole judas Souness
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #132: Oct 07, 2008 09:18:01 pm
      Dan mate i'm 16 aswel and i live in Ireland and i never have and never will touch that rag!!!! Better to start late than never anyway!!!! Good lad!!!

J.F.T 96

Y.N.W.A
      kdz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #133: Oct 31, 2008 05:10:11 pm
      I`m  so sorry.. I must hang my head in shame... I do remember the tragedy.. and did not buy the scum for many years. But then the mirror printed fake photo`s and lies about our lads in Iraq and I said  thats it I`m not buying that sh1t and went back to the scum... Thanks for reminding me.... never again... Ta lads and to the 96 "you`ll never walk alone.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008 09:22:00 pm by Venison 86 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #134: Dec 12, 2008 12:09:13 pm
      ^ No excuse mate.  There's more newspapers out there than The S*n and The Mirror.

Couple of occassions recently people have posted articles from The S*n on this site.  As stated in the forum rules you should not be posting any articles from that newspaper.  The posts will be deleted.

You really do have to consider also what kind of Liverpool supporter you are if you even visiting that newspaper's website.  Very dsappointing.  People who repeatedly break this rule will be banned.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #135: Dec 12, 2008 12:15:28 pm
      ^ No excuse mate.  There's more newspapers out there than The S*n and The Mirror.

Couple of occassions recently people have posted articles from The S*n on this site.  As stated in the forum rules you should not be posting any articles from that newspaper.  The posts will be deleted.

You really do have to consider also what kind of Liverpool supporter you are if you even visiting that newspaper's website.  Very dsappointing.  People who repeatedly break this rule will be banned.

well said jd.
      dont touch the mirror either.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #136: Dec 12, 2008 12:21:44 pm
      There's a lot of sh*te out there - the tabloids are utter rubbish, and not worth referring to IMO. They'll do anything to sell a few more papers.

However, there's a big - no, massive - difference between not referring to The Mirror because it's full of crap and not referring to The Sun. If anyone, anyone at all, on this forum is reading this and wondering what we're talking about, go and take a tour of the Hillsborough Justice board. What that paper said, and still does not apologise for, is still an open wound if the lives of many, many families. Lives were lost, and disgusting lies were said, all in the name of profit.

Get yourselves educated, understand the depth of the lies and the tragedy, and spread the word to those still in the dark about this.

RIP - We will never forget the 96.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8551 
      Rafa responds to more tabloid lies
      Reply #137: Dec 12, 2008 03:24:26 pm
      Liverpool need a miracle to win the title, says Benítez
      Jon Brodkin, 12 Dec 2008

Rafael Benítez has effectively written off Liverpool's title chances even though his team lead the Premier League after 16 matches in which they have lost only once. Benítez's side have defeated both Manchester United and Chelsea during a promising opening to the season as they chase the club's first championship since 1990 but the manager is downbeat about their chances of lasting the pace.

"For us to win the league we need Chelsea, Man United and Arsenal to mess up their season," he was quoted by the S*n. "It is very rare that three teams all mess up. So there's no point waiting for our direct adversaries to slip up because it won't happen. They all have a lot greater financial means than us."

Liverpool lead Chelsea by a point and enjoy a six-point advantage over United, who have a game in hand. Benítez's comments may be designed to ease the pressure on his squad before tomorrow's game at home to Hull after they managed only goalless draws at Anfield against Fulham and West Ham United in their past two league matches there. They were also held at home by Stoke in September.

"For me Valencia and Liverpool are similar - for them to win, the bigger clubs have to do badly," added the 48-year-old Spaniard, a Champions League winner with Liverpool. "When I won La Liga with Valencia that's what happened, Real Madrid and Barcelona were in transition, so it was easier."

Benítez, who is close to signing a new contract to keep him at Liverpool until 2013, has tended to be circumspect about his team's chances of winning the Premier League title, a trophy which the club's captain, Steven Gerrard, has described as his No1 target.

Yet the manager indicated earlier this season that he believed Liverpool were capable of ending their long search for the championship, which last came to Anfield when Kenny Dalglish was the manager. After Xabi Alonso had given the side a 1-0 victory at Stamford Bridge in October, ending Chelsea's unbeaten home league record after 86 matches, he said: "To win here sends a massive message to the other teams of what we can do and tells our fans what we are about.

"To come here with that mentality and showing the character the players showed gives us a big boost for the rest of the season."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/12/liverpool-rafael-benitez

From the offal:

RAFA: WE CAN CHALLENGE FOR LEAGUE
      Jimmy Rice 12 December 200

Rafa Benitez today insisted Liverpool CAN win the Barclays Premier League title.

A tabloid newspaper this morning ran the headline 'We won't win the title - Rafa'.

The story suggested Benitez had ruled out winning the league because Chelsea, United and Arsenal would not slip up.

But the boss told his weekly press conference: "We are really pleased because we are top and I can guarantee that if we are still top of the table after Christmas we will have a clear chance of winning the title.

"It was an interview with a French journalist and we were talking about tactics. I was really surprised with the story but everyone in Liverpool knows about this newspaper.

"We are at the top of the table because we are doing things better than the others. It is up to us and that is it.

"The players have confidence. Some people say we didn't play well at Blackburn but we had plenty of possession. We had control and opportunities. Against PSV it was the same. The second half was really good with different players, so the squad has confidence and the team has confidence.

"Hull on Saturday will be difficult but if we win we'll have more confidence - and it's the same with all the games.

"We scored three against Blackburn, three against PSV - hopefully if we score goals tomorrow everyone will be happy and saying we can win the league."

Asked if Liverpool had enough experience to win the title, Benitez responded: "The staff here have a lot of experience. Mauricio Pellegrino has won a lot of titles, Sammy Lee has won a lot and me too. We have experience and some of the players do too."

Hull visit Anfield on Saturday sitting in sixth place in the Barclays Premier League having beaten the likes of Tottenham and Arsenal away.

Benitez knows it won't be a walk in the park.

"Geovanni is scoring goals and Marlon King is doing a good job up front, but the team has a good mentality and that's the key," he said.

"Hull have a very good offensive mentality, they're scoring goals. They have won against Arsenal and Tottenham. We know it will be tough, but that's the Premier League. From watching their games, I can understand why they're doing well, so we have to be careful.

"We are doing well at home. Clearly the last two games could have been better, but we can win at home."

Meanwhile, Benitez revealed Fernando Torres was nearing a comeback from his latest hamstring injury - but refused to confirm when the striker would return.

He said: "I was talking with him today and he was much better. We did not talk about how long he'd be out but he's feeling good, a little bit tired because he's been working hard, but good. It could be one or two weeks - but I don't want to put a time on it."

El Nino was today named on the five-man shortlist for FIFA World Player of the Year alongside Cristiano Ronaldo, Xavi, Lionel Messi and Kaka.

For Benitez, Torres should be the one claiming the prize on January 12.

"It's very positive for him and also for us because it means he was doing well," said the boss. "Hopefully he will have a chance because 33 goals and the winning goal in Euro 2008 is really good. I think he's done enough to win it."

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008 05:26:14 pm by JD, Reason: Title changed »

Quick Reply