Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Don't Buy The Sun - The Guide

Read 313164 times
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Re: Don't Buy The S*n - The Guide
      Reply #69: Jul 28, 2007 09:02:01 am
      "JUSTICE 4 THE 96"

YNWA
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #70: Aug 14, 2007 12:51:26 am
      Western Promise, the politicised indie punk rockers are releasing their new
      single "Justice - for the 96" on 20th August 2007.
      The song was written in response to the continual struggle for justice for the
      96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

For more information go to www.westernpromise.com

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #71: Aug 17, 2007 03:56:30 pm
      Sadly theres some "fans" in Ireland read the irish version to me these probably are the kinda fans who just wear a teams jersey and say they follow the team but havent a clue about the club.

I wouldnt wipe me arse with the rag
      multilockscan
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #72: Aug 17, 2007 10:11:52 pm
      Its true they do buy the s*n but i think about 60% of IRISH REDS dont even know what the s*n printed at the time. Obviously most of them are too young to know ! I was too young to be reading newspapers,looking at the news or listening to radio at the time to know . We dont get the real stories , street talk ,liverpool newspapers or local radio over here . We only ever hear real stories when we're over watching matches and talking to local supporters AND with websites and topics like this , thats really our only real connection for now !
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #73: Aug 18, 2007 08:25:26 am

We will never forget.
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2007 04:00:54 pm by redkenny »
      Celtic Red
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #74: Aug 24, 2007 03:26:47 pm
      Does anyone know where I can buy a T shirt, that with justice for the 96, I live in Ireland & been a pool fan for the last 35 yrs, just want to do my part to show what a crap paper the s*n is, wouldn't put it under my dog !!!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #75: Aug 24, 2007 06:04:53 pm
      Does anyone know where I can buy a T shirt, that with justice for the 96, I live in Ireland & been a pool fan for the last 35 yrs, just want to do my part to show what a crap paper the s*n is, wouldn't put it under my dog !!!

E-mail hjcshop@tiscali.co.uk requetsing an order form & they'll send you one out.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #76: Aug 28, 2007 12:41:08 pm
      I'm from South Africa, I've been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and honestly, I had no idea of the role that tabloid played in the aftermath. From what I've read on this forum, what was reported and published is without consideration and has forever tainted what can only be thought of as a day of tragedy and loss. I am ashamed not to have known about it before.

Even though I am thousands of kilometres away, I share the sentiments of all who have posted in the past and cannot imagine what it must be like for those who lost loved ones.

YNWA
      Duggie
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #77: Aug 31, 2007 08:58:15 am
      I wouldn't touch that dirty lie ridden rag and have never touched it.  I take every opportunity to explain to people who have not been educated about the background and circumstances for it's demise in this city.  On one occasion during a holiday in Spain I got talking to a Chelsea supporter, (unfortunate enough ha ha), he thought he'd offer me a 'newspaper' to catch up on the footie and proceeded to drag out the s*n,(won't even give it the importance of a capital letter!).  I recoiled in horror to his confusion.  When I explained the reason and what the scummy lot had done, the lad, visibly upset and with total understanding threw the dirt rag away and told me he will never pay good money for it again.  So if a Chelsea supporter understands the importance of the boycott Liverpool supporters have no excuse whatsoever.  I encourage all people who know about this abominable injustice to continue to spread the word and educate those who need it in a calm and rational way.  It really makes the difference as my story is one of many, I often question shopkeepers on their choice of stock etc. BTW this is my first posting and I am a season ticket holder so hope this is the first of many.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #78: Aug 31, 2007 09:03:48 am
      Welcome to the forum, Duggie, you are quite right to educate the people who don't know about the disgusting rag.
      Well done for spreading the word.
      Carradh
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #79: Aug 31, 2007 10:08:56 am
      I'm a Liverpool fan but I wasn't even born when it happened. What did the pricks write? ???
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #80: Aug 31, 2007 10:11:12 am
      I'm a Liverpool fan but I wasn't even born when it happened. What did the pricks write? ???

Read the first post in the topic & it'll tell you.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #81: Aug 31, 2007 10:19:01 am

:stress_h4h:
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #82: Sep 02, 2007 10:20:42 pm
      Anyone know of a supplier of 'Don't buy the Sun stickers'.

I was in Tesco at the weekend and notice they still stock the rag - I assume other big retailers in Merseyside still do.

Just felt like a bit of a sticker attack would have made me feel better.
      Duggie
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #83: Sep 02, 2007 10:50:28 pm
      Ha fantastic idea, I'd be in on that too. 
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #84: Sep 04, 2007 01:19:58 am
      Ha fantastic idea, I'd be in on that too. 

I just don't think its right that these big stores sell them in their Merseyside shops and then we all trundle past and spend our ÂŁ100 on our shopping. 

A nice tin of black gloss would do the trick.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #85: Sep 07, 2007 08:57:12 pm
      Hehe stickers, wicked idea :D
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #86: Sep 11, 2007 06:09:49 pm
      Stickers available from the HJC shop, e-mail hjcshop@tiscali.co.uk
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #87: Sep 13, 2007 10:52:00 pm
      My little contribution

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #88: Sep 23, 2007 01:03:09 pm
      i was thinking if i could get some kind of letter from the HFSG or soe group connected with justce campaign id be happy to distibute it around to the fan clubs in Ireland to make them aware of the fact they shouldnt be buying/reading that piece of sh*t? Anybody think that could help? 
      DontBuyTheSun
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #89: Oct 15, 2007 12:14:42 pm
      New to this site lads looks good and for some reason is not blocked by server in work so happy days.
      Every Liverpool Forum should have a thread dedicated to the boycott I myself was not there that
      day but I have a fair few mates that were so will post some snippets on there behalf.

Written By Jim Boardman
      Justice For The 96

The Sun, April 1989 lies printed
      in this days issue led to a boycott
      that is still going strong.

Don't buy The Sun

Written by Jim Boardman

A surprising number of people seem unaware of the boycott of The Sun by supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Some don't seem to know it is boycotted, others don't know why. Some people rather disturbingly know why the boycott exists but still choose to buy it.

If you choose to continue to buy The Sun after reading this article, and the articles it links to, then you ought to stop calling yourself a Liverpool supporter. Collect any shirts or scarves you have, and hand them in to a charity shop. In fact you can't really call yourself a football supporter. The lies printed in The Sun that you will read about below were aimed at Liverpool supporters, people from Liverpool, people from the North of England, football supporters of any club. If you fall into any of those categories you certainly shouldn't be buying, reading, or visiting the website of that newspaper. If you are a decent human being you will be steering clear of it from now on, even if you've not done so before.

If you buy the paper regularly already, print off all of this information, and save your money tomorrow. Read these articles instead. If you still want to buy that paper the following day I would be surprised.

The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989. At the time of writing that is almost 17 years ago. On April 15th 1989 a disaster took place which resulted in the deaths of ninety-six Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough, the home ground of Sheffield Wednesday, during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. Ninety-six people had their lives crushed out of them. Many more are said to have ended their own lives since as a consequence of that disaster. A lot of injustices came out of that disaster, far too many to list here. For more information visit the Hillsborough Justice Campaign website at http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough and please try to support them.

This article concentrates on one piece of injustice that could so easily have been avoided. That could so easily have been made a little better, if not fixed, in the intervening years. Lies were printed as fact in a British newspaper, and that newspaper has still not made an unconditional apology for what it printed. Its editor of the time has never made an unconditional apology in all of that time.

The headlines and sub-headlines on the front page of The Sun newspaper on the Wednesday following the disaster were as follows:

“The Truth.
      Some fans picked pockets of victims
      Some fans urinated on the brave cops
      Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

So just four days after their loved ones had died, four days after they had narrowly escaped death themselves, Liverpool supporters were confronted with those headlines. People actually believed those headlines. Those who were there did not believe the headlines of course, nor did those who knew people who had been there. Unfortunately though a lot of people did believe those headlines; people who were not Liverpool supporters, perhaps supporters of another team or people who did not follow football at all. The headlines sewed seeds in so many people’s minds that the 96 supporters died at the hands of their own kind. All lies, all proven to be lies, yet never put right by that publication.

For more on the media coverage, visit http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm,
      http://football.guardian.co.uk and Wikipedia .

The Wikipedia article says: “The story accompanying these headlines claimed that ‘drunken Liverpool fans viciously attacked rescue workers as they tried to revive victims’ and ‘police officers, firemen and ambulance crew were punched, kicked and urinated upon’. A quote, attributed to an unnamed policeman, claimed that a dead girl had been abused and that Liverpool fans ‘were openly urinating on us and the bodies of the dead’.”

Read that last bit again, it really was printed in a national newspaper.

Liverpool legend and the manager of the club at the time Kenny Dalglish was greatly affected by the tragedy. He attended numerous funerals and visited people in hospital, some of whom were in comas; he spent time with those that had lost their loved ones. In his autobiography he talks about the Disaster and recalls the media coverage:

“The press coverage was difficult to comprehend, particularly the publication of pictures which added to people's distress. There was one photograph of two girls right up against the Leppings Lane fence, their faces pressed into the wire. Nobody knows how they escaped. They used to come to Melwood every day, looking for autographs, and that photograph upset everyone there because we knew them. After seeing that I couldn't look at the papers again.

When the Sun came out with the story about Liverpool fans being drunk and unruly, underneath a headline 'The Truth,' the reaction on Merseyside was one of complete outrage. Newsagents stopped stocking the Sun. People wouldn't mention its name. They were burning copies of it. Anyone representing the Sun was abused. Sun reporters and photographers would lie, telling people they worked for the Liverpool Post and Echo. There was a lot of harassment of them because of what had been written. The Star had gone a bit strong as well but they apologised the next day. They knew the story had no foundation. Kelvin MacKenzie, the Sun's editor, even called me up.

“How can we correct the situation?” he said.

“You know that big headline – ‘The Truth’?” I replied. “All you have to do is put ‘We lied’ in the same size. Then you might be all right.”

Mackenzie said: “I cannot do that.”

“Well,” I replied, “I cannot help you then.”

That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are.

There is no excuse for buying or reading The Sun. None whatsoever. If you read that newspaper, or worse still you buy that newspaper, after reading this article and those other articles that are linked to, then you are not fit to call yourself a Red. If you support another team, you should still be able to see why that newspaper should be boycotted. No matter what competitions they are running. Regardless of any “exclusives” they claim to have, even if it is the only paper left in the shop. Saying you bought it to get some tokens to help your daughter’s school to buy a new computer is not going to get you off the hook. It’s really simple:

Don’t buy the Sun.

http://www.anfieldroad.com/
      DontBuyTheSun
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #90: Oct 15, 2007 12:16:20 pm
      A couple of poems by the one and only Evo

The Sun's dead sound, it's got birds with big knockers."
      Take them in work and decorate your lockers.
      The sport in it's boss, especially the racin'.
      And the 'oroscopes tell us the day we're all facin'".

"Don't you remember, you ignorant swine?
      All the lies they told in eighty-nine.
      Let me remind you just what they said.
      We pissed on the bizzies and robbed our own dead."

"But the telly page's sound, they've got bingo and lotto.
      And on one of the pages there's a nice little motto.
      Anyway Evo I just didn't know.
      It doesn't matter now it was so long ago."

"It does f***in' matter! It matters a lot.
      People had children they've no longer got.
      People had fathers they'll no longer see.
      They said that I killed them, they said it was me!"

"Shut up will you Evo. You're always bangin' on.
      Hillsborough and justice, all that carry on.
      Anyway Evo get out of me face.
      It's only a newspaper in any case."

"It's not a newspaper. A newspaper has news.
      Not made up stories with which to abuse.
      What they said was "The Truth" were all scurrilous lies.
      We got no apology. What a surprise!"

"All right then Evo what should I buy?"
      Tell me one, give me the reason why.
      Which one do you think stands out from the rest?
      The Mirror, The Echo, which one's the best?"

"Don't buy the Sun. It's fit only to burn.
      Don't buy the Sun. There's nothing you'll learn.
      I'll say it once more and then I'll be done.
      Buy what you want but DON'T BUY THE SUN."
      DontBuyTheSun
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #91: Oct 15, 2007 12:17:17 pm
      And another one.....

I BELIEVE IT. DON'T YOU?

We all turned up late, without tickets and bladdered,
      even a ten-year-old boy, well that's what I gathered.

We forced open a gate and started to push
      Towards the front of the pen, caused the terrible crush.

Two girls at the front, screamin' and cryin'.
      "Open the fence! There's people here dyin'!"

"Get back in there, you bloody Scouse yobs!"
      South Yorkshire Police just doing their jobs.

Then they all realised something was wrong.
      Scousers stopped singin' their favourite song.

That poor Scouser Tommy who took the King's shilling.
      That poor Scouser Tommy who was ready and willing.

That poor Scouser Tommy who fought in the war.
      Gave his life for his country. I wonder what for?

Brave bobbies put up with so much that day.
      Even got peed on, that's what they say.

It was us! It was our fault! We killed our mates!
      A manslaughter charge surely awaits.

But hey, don't worry! We won't go to jail!
      We'll do a deal with the Judge; British justice won't fail.

How do I know all this is true?
      It said in the Sun. I believe it - don't you?

Quick Reply