Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool dragged into poaching row

Read 3591 times
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Liverpool dragged into poaching row
      Sep 08, 2009 10:32:45 am
      Liverpool dragged into poaching row after Crewe legend Dario Gradi vows to report a Premier League club for illegal pursuit of 15-year-old
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1211829/Crewe-director-football-Dario-Gradi-slams-Liverpools-pursuit-Max-Clayton.html

Liverpool were dragged into the poaching row engulfing the Barclays Premier League, following claims from Crewe director of football Dario Gradi that a Premier League club had made an illegal approach for one of his academy players, believed to be Max Clayton, 15.
      Gradi said: ‘He is an outstanding player by any standards and he has come in and told us that he wants to leave right now to join a big club.

‘The big clubs are stealing other people’s players and you worry financially for the clubs where the players are stolen from. It’s so hard to protect your players. All this goes against the morality of the game — it’s the rich robbing the poor.

Crewe have not lodged a complaint with the FA and are reluctant to name Liverpool for fear of damaging the relationship between the clubs.
      Liverpool declined to comment and it is still far from certain the player will move clubs.

He hasnt mentioned any club. dunno how they dragged Liverpool's name into it.  >:(
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2009 12:03:58 pm by RedPuppy »
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Liverpool dragged into poaching row
      Reply #1: Sep 08, 2009 10:37:03 am
      F***ing sh*t.

As far as I'm concerned the player hasn't made the move so on theory Liverpool have done nothing wrong. They haven't got their man yet so no way we should be that worried about the issue.

Poaching has become a hot topic among all the EPL clubs now, looking at the link the Mancs also got into it and 6 other EPL clubs.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #2: Sep 08, 2009 12:41:21 pm
      Didnt we have some sort of deal going with Crewe as a feeder club of sorts a while back, sure there was something.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #3: Sep 08, 2009 01:19:40 pm
      Didnt we have some sort of deal going with Crewe as a feeder club of sorts a while back, sure there was something.
      I remember that. I think it involved us paying them some money in return for having first option on their youngsters.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4: Sep 08, 2009 04:52:23 pm
      Liverpool reported in tap-up row
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crewe_alexandra/8241607.stm
      Liverpool are the club that has been reported by Crewe over an alleged illegal approach to sign a player from their academy, BBC Sport understands.

Crewe's director of football Dario Gradi revealed on Monday his club had made the complaint and the player in question is 15-year-old Max Clayton.

Liverpool were linked with Clayton in February 2008 and were willing to pay a six-figure sum to take him to Anfield.

Crewe rejected the approach, but Gradi says Clayton now wants to leave Alex.

He told the Daily Express: "Max has come in and told us that he wants to leave right now to join a big club.

"You worry financially for the clubs where the players are stolen from.
      "What sort of compensation are we going to get for all the work that has gone into developing him? Any compensation is insignificant for the effort that gone in.

"It's simple, the big clubs are stealing other people's players."

Gradi revealed the news in the wake of the decision to ban Chelsea from signing any players until January 2011.

The 68-year-old, who managed Crewe between 1983 and 2007, brought players such as David Platt, Danny Murphy, Seth Johnson, Robbie Savage and Dean Ashton through the ranks at the Alexandra Stadium during his time in charge.

Gradi has given his support to Fifa's decision to place a transfer embargo on Chelsea, after they were found guilty of inducing 18-year-old French midfielder Gael Kakuta to break his contract with Lens in 2007.

Chelsea have already confirmed that they will launch the "strongest possible appeal" to the ruling.

Manchester United could also face an investigation after it emerged that another French club, Le Havre, are going to ask Fifa to look into Paul Pogba's move to Old Trafford in August.

"I'm delighted with what has happened with Chelsea," added Gradi. "I would hope all the big clubs are frightened to death. There is no excuse for breaking the rules.

"We lost a 12-year-old to Everton. He was our best 12-year-old. The lure is that the bigger clubs pay big expenses.

"This kid will be getting several hundred pounds a week in expenses. We pay expenses but nothing like that. It's more a case of giving out £20 if someone can pick a kid up en-route.

"At least Fifa have given the smaller clubs hope."

Oh Dear!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Sep 08, 2009 04:57:01 pm
      Not this crap. Wonder why no other leagues are getting hit hard
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Sep 08, 2009 05:00:15 pm
      So report Everton to the FA or Mr Gradi  !!!!

Total bollocks news reporting.

There is NO confirmation that its Liverpool and then Gradi says he lost out to the Bitters!

Daily Mail.
      Youre scraping the gutter.
      Have the Mankers made a big donation to the "Retired Daily Mail Journalists Fund"?

They have to have a pop at us dont they.

F.......ers.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #7: Sep 08, 2009 05:00:35 pm
      I can not see this as the same as Chelsea.

1 The player has not moved.
      2 LFC tried and failed with a 6 figure componsation deal, over 18 months ago.
      3 The player now wants to move. Is this because Crewe are going no where but down.
      4 Has he reported Everton.

In the City this is called Head Hunting. Can a Teenager not change his mind.

The only thing that concerns me is we were implicated a few years ago, when the Bung thing was going on.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Sep 08, 2009 06:49:38 pm
      Just heard it on the news then downstairs - quite worrying.

I can not see this as the same as Chelsea.

1 The player has not moved.
      2 LFC tried and failed with a 6 figure componsation deal, over 18 months ago.
      3 The player now wants to move. Is this because Crewe are going no where but down.
      4 Has he reported Everton.

In the City this is called Head Hunting. Can a Teenager not change his mind.

The only thing that concerns me is we were implicated a few years ago, when the Bung thing was going on.

That's encouraging though.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #9: Sep 08, 2009 07:00:57 pm
      Every "small" club is going to accuse every "big" club of doing things like this now.

I'm not worried at all, we didn't even buy the lad FFS.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Sep 08, 2009 07:25:13 pm
      Every time a big club comes calling to offer it is technically inducement because it is always going to look better to go to a big club than stay at some-one like Crewe, F***ing idiot ::) Unless we actually bribed the player himself in an illegal way then F**k them. I mean of course the player wants to leave, he has had on offer from Liverpool apparently. I would F***ing want to leave to! But we didn't force him to break contract like Chelsea did, we made an offer like any club does, it was refused, we left. To me this seems like a bunch of complete bullshit unless im missing something.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 08, 2009 07:25:26 pm
      Daily Fail = Bullshit. Nothing can come of this as Crewe have no Damages to sue us on the player has not joined us. Dario Gradi can suck my left nut...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Sep 08, 2009 07:44:19 pm

Yes that was, most certainly, the case. Dates back to 1997, if memory serves me right.

Edit: I found this quote:
      "The clubs see a number of benefits from improved contacts, including increased commercial opportunities for both parties and closer liaison between the training and coaching staffs of both clubs with regard to the development of young players."

Here: http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:lA4KZd7UggsJ:www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-liverpool-link-up-with-crewe-1278795.html+crewe+alexandra+feeder+club+for+liverpool&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #13: Sep 08, 2009 07:58:38 pm
      I'm not worried about this. Just a desoerate attemptby Mr. Gradi to get in the news by jumping on the bandwagon, let's be fair, it's the tv coverage Crewe and Mr. Gradi will get all season!

The lad was offered a contract 18 months ago and the club rejected it. Now all of a sudden because he wants to join a big club, we're breaking the law, over something that happened 18 months ago? If Crewe rejected the offer 18 months ago then reject any new offer (if one has been made, it doesn't even say!).
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #14: Sep 08, 2009 08:05:57 pm
      I thought Liverpool had some connection with Crewe, like most clubs
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Sep 08, 2009 08:09:39 pm
      I thought Liverpool had some connection with Crewe, like most clubs

Check out the above posts, just talking about that. We do, they are just looking for their 15 minutes on the front page i think. We don't even have the player for god's sake ::)
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #16: Sep 08, 2009 08:12:01 pm
      So report Everton to the FA or Mr Gradi  !!!!

Total bollocks news reporting.

There is NO confirmation that its Liverpool and then Gradi says he lost out to the Bitters!

He won't report Everton, he's trying to defend small clubs. ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #17: Sep 08, 2009 08:31:36 pm
      We used to have a link-up with Crewe a few years back, but I think that ended.

Dario Gradi hasn't exactly accused us directly though has he? All he has said is the big clubs are stealing younger players from smaller clubs.

Can understand his complaint really, when you look at how much some of the big clubs are worth and you have clubs like Crewe etc that are simply trying to fight to survive.

I always thought Gradi was a decent football manager when he was in charge at Crewe.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #18: Sep 08, 2009 08:41:00 pm
      It seems to me that the media are running very short of credible stories to write ! i suppose if this kid never makes it as a top player it will be down to us as well ....? total b******s isn't it? all this does is cause bad feeling and there is enough crap without this as well.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #19: Sep 09, 2009 12:43:21 am
      Dario Gradi hates scousers and hates LFC, know all about this feller, he was indirectly accusing our club, he is basically a tw*t
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Sep 09, 2009 01:00:13 am
      Interesting that there is not a single quote mentioning Liverpool and that the player is still a Crewe player :-\

Seems to me as though the people writing this story is just trying to jump on the bandwagon.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Sep 09, 2009 01:15:57 am
      I honestly reckon this is the media saying "F**k, if our beloved manure are being implicated in something then we have to get Liverpool embroiled in some sort of controversy!" Because it just wouldn't be right for Liverpool to look good against other clubs now would it? ::)
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #22: Sep 09, 2009 03:01:59 am
      He won't report Everton, he's trying to defend small clubs. ;)
      :lmao:

Quick Reply