Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

New Liverpool sponsor - 20M a year Standard Chartered deal (2009)

Read 47920 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: New Liverpool sponsor - 20M a year Standard Chartered deal
      Reply #46: Sep 12, 2009 01:17:55 pm
      I may be wrong here but I believe whatever monies we get from this deal has to be used within the structure of the club, whether its for transfers or reduction of any debt or loans we may have obviously if it were for transfers all the better but even if it'd used for reducing and debt or interest payment then thats surely not a bad thing ?
      its £13m a year additional money coming the clubs way !

Fair point mate.

I suppose it can be looked at as a bitter sweet situation.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #47: Sep 12, 2009 01:19:31 pm
      We've had a good relationship with Carlsberg over the years but I guess now is the time to move on. The government are cracking down on Alcohol advertising, and we can't even wear the Carlsberg logo in some countries. Bank sponsorships seem to be the most marketable choice in this day and age.

Exactly. Ive been unpopular for my criticism of Carlsberg but theyve had a good run with us on the cheap.

Times are changing with booze sponsors.

IF and I say a big IF there is truth in this ..........then maximum respect.
      Theyve pissed on Parry and Moores efforts.

Depends of course whether they pocket the money! :lmao:
      LFCexiled
      Reply #48: Sep 12, 2009 01:37:20 pm
      My first post on the site, So just wanna say hello to everybody and sh*t  ;)

Just had a look around the internet and found this:

STANDARD CHARTERED (STAN)
      ORD PRICE:    1,347p    MARKET VALUE:    £ 26,064m
      TOUCH:    1,373-1,375p    12-MONTH HIGH:    1,532p    LOW: 554p
      DIVIDEND YIELD:    2.8%    PE RATIO:    12
      NET ASSET VALUE:    1,206c*       

Half-year to 30 Jun    Pretax profit ($bn)    Earnings per share (c)    Net div per share (c)
      2008    2.59    110.6**    19.30**
      2009    2.84    98.8    21.23
      % change    +10    -11    +10

Ex-div:12 Aug

Payment:08 Oct

*Includes intangible assets of $6.4bn, or 331c a share

I'm no stockbroker but if Standard Chartered have a market value of £26 Billion then doesn't £20 Million a year seem a bit cheap to promote what IS and will ALWAYS be the most successful football team ever?  ???

Forgot to add....... They made 2.25 Billion in the first 6 months of this year  :o Should put a transfer budget clause on the deal, our success = more publicity = their success. A percentage contribution towards future transfer budgets based on the previous seasons television minutes/payments. I'd imagine television is partly the basis of any deal but given the fact that our friendly american owners have short arms and long pockets any help would do. What dya reckon?

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2009 01:48:16 pm by LFCexiled »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #49: Sep 12, 2009 01:50:37 pm
      for a first post LFCexiled thats a bloody good one ! welcome mate
      LFCexiled
      Reply #50: Sep 12, 2009 01:56:59 pm
      Cheers frizzby5, not sure I'll be able to do it with a post count of 6,492 like yours though!  :o :o :o
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #51: Sep 12, 2009 02:08:59 pm
      Nice pun, Yanks. I wonder if it's just me, but I see this 'deal' in a "banks are always generous to LFC's yanks" kind of way!
      YorkshireRed
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      £20 million a year sponsorship deal, done!
      Reply #52: Sep 12, 2009 06:20:20 pm
      I thought someone would have spotted this by now, oh well I'll break the great news then.
      Liverpool’s £80m shirt deal equals biggest ever
      Liverpool have secured a new shirt sponsorship deal that equals the most lucrative in football history after signing a four-year agreement with Standard Chartered, the London-based international bank, worth £80 million over four years.

With their present deal with Carlsberg due to expire in mid-2010, Liverpool’s commercial department, headed by Ian Ayre, has been looking for a money-spinning agreement in keeping with the club’s status as one of the most recognisable brands in world sport. Until July, an exclusivity accord with Carlsberg prevented them from entering into talks with any other interested parties but once that had expired, Liverpool moved swiftly to tie up a new deal.

Carlsberg has enjoyed a 17-year relationship with Liverpool, one of the longest-running associations in world sport, but was unwilling to match the £20 million a season offer made by Standard Chartered, which equals the deal struck by Manchester United with Aon Corp, the American financial giant, in June.

Liverpool have long been criticised by their supporters for punching below their weight when it comes to commercial opportunities but the sponsorship deal struck by Ayre, the commercial director, is an indication that the club are beginning to make the most of their glittering history and worldwide fan base.
      The fact that the Merseyside club have secured a sponsorship arrangement on a par with United’s is also hugely symbolic, with Liverpool having trailed some way behind their North West rivals for several years in terms of commercial enterprise. Liverpool’s deal with Carlsberg, for example, is worth just £7.2 million per annum, a figure that fell short of United’s £14 million income from AIG, the American insurance corporation.

The deal with Standard Chartered will be confirmed by Liverpool imminently, with George Gillett Jr, the club’s co-owner, having admitted during a radio interview that he expects a formal announcement to be made on Friday. “I think people will be pleased and surprised,” Gillett said. “It will be one of the great, worldwide corporations. And I think it will be a sponsor people will be pleased and surprised to be [associated with].”

For the first time since he bought Liverpool along with Tom Hicks in February 2007, Gillett has admitted that he could be willing to sell the club “if someone gets beamed in who’s got bags of money”.

But the revelation was tempered by the American’s admission that he would “probably” be at the helm for the long term.

“The club is in outstanding shape,” Gillett said. “Economically, it’s never been stronger. We just paid down our debt very substantially. We have less debt per dollar than any club in the league.”

Liverpool, meanwhile, have sealed a £250,000 deal with Southend United for the transfer of Michael Ngoo, a 16-year-old centre forward who was also being watched by Manchester United. Ngoo, who is 6ft 4in and has been likened in style to Peter Crouch, impressed during a recent trial with United but Liverpool have beaten their North West rivals to his signature after meeting Southend’s asking price.

In a departure from the recent furore surrounding the transfers of a number of teenagers, the deal for Ngoo has not resulted in acrimony between Liverpool and Southend, with the Coca-Cola League One club praising their Barclays Premier League counterparts for the way negotiations were conducted.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6831489.ece
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: £20 million a year sponsorship deal, done!
      Reply #53: Sep 12, 2009 06:28:11 pm
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #54: Sep 12, 2009 06:28:27 pm
      Good news, at least its a big improvement on the current deal with Carlsberg, and they deserve to lose the deal with us as theyve been taking the piss £7.5m a year to sponsor a club like us ?! They well got the best deal out of it, but at least now its changing and that [hopefully] can be more money for players. Who am i kidding! :f_whistle:
      YorkshireRed
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #55: Sep 12, 2009 06:34:57 pm
      My bad. Wicked news anyway. Lets hope it can be put to good use.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #56: Sep 12, 2009 08:36:43 pm

What an American Investment firm  ;)
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #57: Sep 12, 2009 08:39:51 pm
      I thinks its a great bit of business. At least it might boost our transfer funds. Just hope the owners commit themselves to the club more financially if they're hoping to profit off the club. After all bigger investments on the transfer market guarantees results.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: Sep 13, 2009 11:07:12 am
      My first post on the site, So just wanna say hello to everybody and sh*t  ;)

Just had a look around the internet and found this:

STANDARD CHARTERED (STAN)
      ORD PRICE:    1,347p    MARKET VALUE:    £ 26,064m
      TOUCH:    1,373-1,375p    12-MONTH HIGH:    1,532p    LOW: 554p
      DIVIDEND YIELD:    2.8%    PE RATIO:    12
      NET ASSET VALUE:    1,206c*       

Half-year to 30 Jun    Pretax profit ($bn)    Earnings per share (c)    Net div per share (c)
      2008    2.59    110.6**    19.30**
      2009    2.84    98.8    21.23
      % change    +10    -11    +10

Ex-div:12 Aug

Payment:08 Oct

*Includes intangible assets of $6.4bn, or 331c a share

I'm no stockbroker but if Standard Chartered have a market value of £26 Billion then doesn't £20 Million a year seem a bit cheap to promote what IS and will ALWAYS be the most successful football team ever?  ???

Forgot to add....... They made 2.25 Billion in the first 6 months of this year  :o Should put a transfer budget clause on the deal, our success = more publicity = their success. A percentage contribution towards future transfer budgets based on the previous seasons television minutes/payments. I'd imagine television is partly the basis of any deal but given the fact that our friendly american owners have short arms and long pockets any help would do. What dya reckon?

Great research and i agree that 20m a year is a minute amount of money in the grand scheme of things for them but in football terms, it's a massive deal.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #59: Sep 13, 2009 11:22:44 am
      So.
      They have been doing something in their downtown office.
      Well done Mr Ayres. Maximum Respect.

Any chance of ring-fencing the money for a player a year?
      Thats the real deal.

The top global football sponsorship deals:

1. Liverpool: £20 million a year (£80 million over four years) with Standard Chartered

2. Manchester United: £20 million a year (£80 million over four years) with Aon

3. Bayern Munich: £17 million a year (£68 million over four years) with T-Home

4. Juventus: £15 million a year (£75 million over five years) with Tamoil

5. Real Madrid: £12.7 million a year (£38 million over three years) with Bwin.com

6. Chelsea: £11 million+ a year (£55 million over five years) with Samsung

7. Arsenal: £6.7 million a year (£100 million over 15 years) with Emirates

Bet old Wenger is doing his nut.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #60: Sep 13, 2009 11:29:43 am
      Why? Not like he spends money anyway.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #61: Sep 13, 2009 12:04:39 pm
      There has to be some catch here surely?

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #62: Sep 13, 2009 01:36:19 pm
      There has to be some catch here surely?

Why?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: Sep 13, 2009 01:51:23 pm
      Because I cant remember the last positive thing off the field that didn't go pear shaped or have some snag which will have an adverse effect on the club down the line. Sorry Res its what the yanks have done to my mind
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #64: Sep 13, 2009 01:54:32 pm
      I think the sponsorship deal is fantastic.

I'll be f*cking gutted if it's blue though. An image revamp would be welcome StanChart. ;)
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #65: Sep 13, 2009 02:26:01 pm
      So our old deal with Carlsberg was about the same as Arsenals with Emirates? We're getting almost three times as much now, even though I can't imagine our tops without the Carlsberg logo.
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #66: Sep 13, 2009 04:48:29 pm
      Great deal, and  think it looks ok in white. Thing is, their logo is blue and green which I gonna look sh*t on our red shirts! I can't see a company like theirs changing the logo for anything though, they would want it to be synonymous with the company's logo on everything.  :o
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #67: Sep 13, 2009 05:08:11 pm
      Cant imagine them being retarded enough to put a blue + green logo on our shirt, itsimply does not go with red haha
      Even dumb and dumber at the helm know that, and hopefully StanCharted do to :P
      Hobesph
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #68: Sep 13, 2009 05:19:43 pm
      Im sure the logo wont stay blueand green. 20M a year is a good deal and there might be certain terms withinthe contract that means we see more money from Standard Chartered. Does anyone else think that we could put the prices of shirts up in countries were we couldnt have the Carlsberg logo? It would mean a lot more revenue for the club.

Anyway this is all hearsay because we dont know that its a done deal yet.   

Quick Reply