Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match. Liverpool v Birmingham (09/11/09)

Glen Johnson
      (69.8%)
      David N'Gog
      (9.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (3.1%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (2.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (6.2%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (9.3%)

Liverpool 2-2 Birmingham City: Post-match depression

Read 27018 times
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Liverpool 2-2 Birmingham City: Post-match depression
      Nov 09, 2009 10:07:09 pm
      I admit I predicted a brace from N'Gog to win us the game, and was very happy to see his first.
      We really needed this win and I hope the curse of home draws doesn't come again.
      Aquilani came on a little too late to make a difference in my opinion, but I loved the banner that was shown when he came on.

Who wants to bet that Ferguson will rant about the ref giving us a penalty (from what I saw, there was no contact, but the replay didn't have unobstructed view).
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2009 10:09:34 pm by Reslivo »
      ssr.w
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts |
      • Liverbird tattoed in my heart!
      Re: Liverpool 2 - Birmingham City 2 : First Home Draw
      Reply #1: Nov 09, 2009 10:09:02 pm
      It brings a tear to my eye to see how bad riera gets, but it bring a hope of future joy to feel how the team work together..
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #2: Nov 09, 2009 10:10:06 pm
      what did the banner say? havent seen the match
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #3: Nov 09, 2009 10:10:38 pm
      I thought we could win but this team is really unpredictable, it's beyond my own believe.

Things are heading towards a wrong direction at the moment. Defenders keep making mistakes, while the forwards cannot score enough goal, scarying thoughts.  :mad:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Birmingham City: Post-match depression
      Reply #4: Nov 09, 2009 10:10:53 pm
      I'm telling you the performances Kuyt and Insua put in tonight were a disgrace. Thought while they were on the pitch Benyoun and Reira were poor. The rest to be honest played well. Thought Masch was excellant and to be honest Johnson was sensational. Pity we don't have two of him for the left side as well.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #5: Nov 09, 2009 10:11:38 pm
      what did the banner say? havent seen the match
      Somethig like "A hero in the making, El Principeto, Alberto Aquilani"
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #6: Nov 09, 2009 10:12:53 pm
      We had enough chances to win 2 games but we weren't sharp enough in front of goal. What a great missed opportunity.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Nov 09, 2009 10:13:01 pm
      Ridiculous the amount of attacking we done with only two goals to show for it. We could have had about 10.

The only reason we took anything from that match is because Ngog took a dive. I think that's a pretty sh*t scenario looking back on it.

Props to Birmingham for such tight defending. They closed down any player looking to have a crack from distance.

We'll f*ck them at St Andrews.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Nov 09, 2009 10:13:32 pm
      I'm telling you the performances Kuyt and Insua put in tonight were a disgrace. Thought while they were on the pitch Benyoun and Reira were poor. The rest to be honest played well. Thought Masch was excellant and to be honest Johnson was sensational. Pity we don't have two of him for the left side as well.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Insua there, mate.

Kuyt was dire today, Johnson was sensational. Masch and Lucas were excellent and controlled the game. N'gog had a decent game but we needed another striker to bring on for Kuyt when the game was going our way but the scoreline wasn't.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 09, 2009 10:13:59 pm

Thanks Czer
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #10: Nov 09, 2009 10:15:09 pm
      Poor performance again. No creativity at all, its all good having the ball but its the end result that counts. To have 19 or so shots, only score one and get another from a penalty is an obvious sign of where the problem lies. We could all see that Masch/Lucas were wasted, no need for two deep midfielders againt Birmingham at HOME! Aquilani should have had 20 minutes at least. Poor games from some players, Kuyt, Insua, should be calm, play the Liverpool way not be rash and lose the balll.

Not for the first time this season, no heart, no creativity, more injuries. We cant moan about reffing here, since it actually saved our skin a bit.

Lets look to the Citeh game, a must win even more so now. Lets hope its a more optimistic crowd than tonights at Anfeld, clearly only cheering when Gerrard came on. Not on, we should be cheering the team on whoever plays.

HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 09, 2009 10:15:20 pm
      oops made a Gordon Brown spelling mistake....apologies Cezar
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #12: Nov 09, 2009 10:15:20 pm

Pretty much agree with you there...Kuyt and Insua have been weak links all season IMO.  Kuyt especially has been disappointing considering his form last year.  Too many poor touches and alot of our attacks broke down because of him.

Defensively we're a joke at the moment and even though their second was a wonder strike, it was still caused by Skrtel's lazy ball upfield.  The first goal was just the story of our season so far.  N'Gog, Johnson and Mascherano were the best players on the pitch.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #13: Nov 09, 2009 10:15:29 pm
      think insua is a liability. but problem tonihgt was down to creativity or lack of it.. only for a dodgy pen we had fcuk all chances.. stevie g hit the upright but that was it.. a whole load of huff and puff.. get the ball out wide to nothing crosses.. never got behind them with the overlap.. kuyt had so much chances to whip in a good cross.
      how many shots hit off their defenders.. it was a joke..I'm not getting xcited about the amount of possession we had., birmingham are sh*te and i would expect no less. but the fact that we had fcuk all chances sickens me
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 09, 2009 10:15:34 pm
      Any word on the condition of Benayoun? The commenter said it looks like a hamstring and can be 4-8 weeks.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Nov 09, 2009 10:15:44 pm

"A hero will rise, Alberto Aquilani - Il Principino."
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #16: Nov 09, 2009 10:17:17 pm
      What were the injuries to Riera and Benayoun?

Seemed like hamstrings from where I was?
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #17: Nov 09, 2009 10:17:38 pm
      Poor performance again. No creativity at all, its all good having the ball but its the end result that counts. To have 19 or so shots, only score one and get another from a penalty is an obvious sign of where the problem lies. We could all see that Masch/Lucas were wasted, no need for two deep midfielders againt Birmingham at HOME! Aquilani should have had 20 minutes at least. Poor games from some players, Kuyt, Insua, should be calm, play the Liverpool way not be rash and lose the balll.

Not for the first time this season, no heart, no creativity, more injuries. We cant moan about reffing here, since it actually saved our skin a bit.

Lets look to the Citeh game, a must win even more so now. Lets hope its a more optimistic crowd than tonights at Anfeld, clearly only cheering when Gerrard came on. Not on, we should be cheering the team on whoever plays.

You have contradicted yourself a bit there mate! How can we not be creating anything but have 19 attempts at goal?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: Nov 09, 2009 10:18:01 pm
      Probably being a bit harsh on Insua Eem putting him in with Kuyt but for the amount of space he had he did absolutely nothing he looked very limited tonight.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #19: Nov 09, 2009 10:18:08 pm
      So the way i see it, we need a 10 game winning streak to just get back into touch, with Carra out for another match due to his ban, Gerrard carrying a knock, Aquilani un-fit, Torres out, Riera & Benny out and numerous others
      F*ck
      I dont care about performances anymore, i dont care about the opposition either, if we don't win its b*llocks end of.
      F**k it, i don't even care about that performance, we didn't win, which is what we need so therefore....b*llocks
      I know many of you won't like it but yeah thats it, i'm at the end of my tether now, if we aren't back on track by January/end of the window, then this is Rafa's last season IMO
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #20: Nov 09, 2009 10:18:58 pm
      I think you're being a bit harsh on Insua there, mate.

Kuyt was dire today, Johnson was sensational. Masch and Lucas were excellent and controlled the game. N'gog had a decent game but we needed another striker to bring on for Kuyt when the game was going our way but the scoreline wasn't.

I think Insua deserves the criticism, lost his head when on the ball to be honest. Johnson was no where near sensational, in fact he should have got something on the free kick they scored from. N'Gog lacked basic skill on the ball, no composure at all. And to say Lucas and Masch controlled the midfield is slightly misconceived, Mascherano had absolutely no pressure on him all game.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #21: Nov 09, 2009 10:19:19 pm
      It wasn't a bad performance but it is a bad one considering the opposition. Kept threatening the goal. We were all over them and they scored 2 with the little chances they have. We created more than enough to win but Birmingham did brilliantly to block and close down.

Who's the scapegoat now? I think Masch, Johnson and Lucas did well.

Though I am happy we did not lose at home, I didn't really like the fact that David N'gog dived to win that penalty. Just isn't the Liverpool way.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 09, 2009 10:19:39 pm
      You have contradicted yourself a bit there mate! How can we not be creating anything but have 19 attempts at goal?
      19 attempts but how many were clear cut? i think very few

Quick Reply