Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

"Movember" - Grow a tash for charity

Read 17734 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      "Movember" - Grow a tash for charity
      Nov 14, 2009 09:53:26 pm
      Movember is an annual, month-long celebration of the moustache, highlighting men’s health issues, specifically prostate cancer.

Mo Bros, supported by their Mo Sistas, start Movember (November 1st) clean shaven and then have the remainder of the month to grow and groom their moustache. During Movember, each Mo Bro effectively becomes a walking billboard for men’s health and, via their Mo, raises essential funds and awareness for Movember’s men’s health partner – The Prostate Cancer Charity. At the end of Movember, a series of Gala Partés are held to thank Mo Bros and Sistas for their support and fund raising efforts.    

Movember has continued to grow each year, both in terms of participation numbers and funds raised. In its first year, 30 Mo Bros took part in Movember and last year, across the globe more than 173,000 Mo Bro & Sistas got on board, raising more than £14 million across the Movember’s men’s health partners globally.

To date, Movember has raised over £30 million globally for the fight against prostate cancer and depression in men. And, more importantly, as a direct result, male awareness of health issues has improved with Movember helping to spread health messages directly to millions of Mo Bros & Sistas around the world.

Going forward, Movember will continue to work towards helping to change established habits and attitudes and make men aware of the risks they face, thereby increasing early detection, diagnosis and effective treatment.

For further information, visit The Movember Foundation.

http://uk.movemberfoundation.com/

I have signed up for Movember myself (a bit late but it's a good cause so we'll overlook that!) and will be growing a moustache to raise awareness in aid of the Prostate Cancer Charity, if anyone would like to sponsor me please do so by clicking https://www.movember.com/uk/donate/your-details/member_id/469965/

So if any of you guys (or gals) would like to do the same please follow this link http://uk.movember.com/get-involved/

Thanks! :)

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010 09:39:55 pm by redkenny »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Movember
      Reply #1: Nov 18, 2009 05:40:24 am
      I dont know if many are aware of this good deed scheme but it has taken off and gained alot of popularity and momentum here in Australia. I am quite aware that it is  world wide now and has spread to over a dozen countires, but in a nut shell blokes are required to grow a "moe" for the whole month of November in order to raise awareness and funds for mens depression and prostate cancer. You are then required to seek sponsorship via donations from friends and family. I have been growing a pathetic little moe now for 18 days I am not the hairiest of blokes but it is starting to take some shape. Have raised a $100 so far hope to double it by the end of the month. By the way THIS IS NOT a thread started for the purpose of seeking donations but rather wanted to see if the movement has gathered awareness and momentum elsewhere. Or if any member on the forum would participate?

That is all.

Here is the web page;

http://www.movember.com/

I will post a photo of my lil moe tommorow  :D
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: Movember
      Reply #2: Nov 18, 2009 07:52:53 am
      Iv'e had a moe' most of my adult life and it's only ever been off twice and one was for charity when I had the full hit
      head chest back sack and crack + tash I raised quite a few quid for the kids in Alder Hey,anyway good luck in your quest you may end up lookin' like Rafa ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Nov 18, 2009 08:07:19 am
      Good on you Dado!

I should have had a heads up at the start of October! :D It literally takes 3 or 4 weeks for facial hair to take any shape. Boss idea that though.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      Reply #4: Nov 18, 2009 08:52:05 am
      We could end up with a load of 118's on here calm down' calm down'!.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Nov 18, 2009 10:14:36 am
       :clap: Well done to you Dado, hope it goes well, unfortunately I won't be able to join in as no matter how hard I try I just cannot grow one  ;)

My Dad had prostrate cancer so I have first hand experience of it, not nice at all, so good luck to you and I hope you raise lots of money.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: Nov 18, 2009 10:17:21 am
      :clap: Well done to you Dado, hope it goes well, unfortunately I won't be able to join in as no matter how hard I try I just cannot grow one  ;)
      That makes two of us. ;)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Nov 18, 2009 10:31:06 am
      Thanks guys.

MSG i am quite shocked how common it has become in this day and age we have a team created in the office and are collecting sponsorship together and almost half the guys in the team have had family members affected by prostate cancer.

Ive been thinking about an examination but I am way too chicken to have someone probe me per se
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Nov 18, 2009 10:38:50 am
      Yeah it is very common especially as you get older, I know it's very embarrassing to go to a doctor and be checked for something like this, but I would urge ALL men to pluck up the courage to see someone if at all you are worried or concerned.

Go for it Dado  :)

You never know, it could just save your life.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Nov 18, 2009 10:43:11 am
      I dont know I might have to polish off a bottle of vodka beforehand.

:'(
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Nov 18, 2009 11:23:46 am
      I dont know I might have to polish off a bottle of vodka beforehand.

:'(

I just hope you don't have to give a sample then........pure Vodka  :lmao:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Nov 18, 2009 11:32:15 am
      Yeah wish I had of known.  I had my best ever 'moe' and beard up until two days ago.  The beard could have easily gone to leave an impressive tash.

Would have loved to have had a charitable reason not to have shaved. :(
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      Reply #12: Nov 18, 2009 12:41:09 pm
      Trust me guys get checked out I was taken into hospital in my 40's with a prostate problem and believe me you don't want to have any,if in doubt get it checked out!.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13: Nov 18, 2009 10:49:32 pm
      Hmm I dunno just terrified about the whole thing Im only 24 maybe when I hit 30 I will be man enough to do it.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Nov 19, 2009 01:06:35 am
      Well here is my lil pathetic moe.

Just saw your facebook pic JD you could easily get away with the chopper -handlebar look.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: November is "Movember" Help support The Movember Foundation!
      Reply #15: Nov 20, 2009 03:39:17 am
      AJ good on you mate!

I am participating as well I started another thread here maybe we can get a mod to merge them??

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=25291.0
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: November is "Movember" Help support The Movember Foundation!
      Reply #16: Nov 20, 2009 08:10:35 am
      It's a fantastic cause you's are participating in, lads. I'll be doing it next year but for now i'll stick to donating.

My cricket club have done it for some time now. Really is a great way to raise funds and saves time in the morning by not shaving.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: "Movember" - Grow a tash for charity
      Reply #17: Oct 21, 2010 09:41:27 pm
      Bump!!

Who's up for it?

You can make a tash team, so we could have a team LFCReds and make a montage of pics at the end of November.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #18: Oct 22, 2010 01:11:45 am
      Great bump Kenny!

Maybe we can throw in some quid for Zoe's at the end of it??
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Oct 22, 2010 01:12:14 am
      Does a goatee count or does it have to be a proper mo only
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #20: Oct 22, 2010 01:28:26 am
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Oct 22, 2010 04:53:15 am
      Since last year, i've finally grown facial hair sufficient enough to call it a tash. But alas, it's patchy and just woeful looking :D I'll be the donater once again.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Oct 22, 2010 09:42:31 pm
      Since last year, i've finally grown facial hair sufficient enough to call it a tash. But alas, it's patchy and just woeful looking :D I'll be the donater once again.

Don't be a girl. You shave your plumbs don't you? Just get some Pritt Stick.  ;)

Seriously though, I'm defo in. Are me and Dado gonna be left to walk alone?

Racer, it's tash mate.

Quick Reply