Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Rafa choosing Lucas over Aquilani?

Read 20414 times
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 357 posts |
      Rafa choosing Lucas over Aquilani?
      Nov 24, 2009 03:26:14 pm
      I saw this quote by Rafa in the Pre Match: Debrecen vs Liverpool thread (CL)

"Aquilani is in the squad so he can play. It depends. The team has some players in his position now - Gerrard coming back and the two midfielders (Lucas and Mascherano) doing well, but he'll have his chances.

"We want him as soon as possible but we have to manage with the squad."

This means Aquilani is no longer a health issue.  This basically means Rafa is choosing to start Lucas over Aquilani in the squad.  

How is Aquilani going to show his potential and build the confidence and player awareness on the pitch if Rafa continues to start Lucas?  

I'm grateful that Lucas has stepped into the breach to try and fill the Alonso void but he was supposed to be temporary replacement until Aquilani was ready.  

Rafa went out and spent 20 million to transfer the star midfielder here with Alonso's departure.  He has Aquilani fit and ready to go it seems.

Why the delay?

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2009 03:27:25 pm by JD »
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Re: Is Rafa choosing Lucas over Aquilani????
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2009 03:28:43 pm

This means Aquilani is no longer a health issue.  This basically means Rafa is choosing to start Lucas over Aquilani in the squad.  

I'm grateful that Lucas has stepped into the breach to try and fill the Alonso void but he was supposed to be temporary replacement until Aquilani was ready.  

How did you come to the above conclusions?

If Rafa says he wants Aquilani as soon as possible then he cant be fully fit.

Who said Lucas was supposed to be the temporary replacement? You?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Re: Rafa choosing Lucas over Aquilani?
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2009 03:30:37 pm
      To be fair we have no idea what kind of condition he is in.

He has suffered some pretty severe problems over the past few years.  

Also, even if he is 100% super fit, I'm sure the problems with our defence are also weighing heavily on Benitez' mind.  The constant changing of the back four means it would be a risky time to remove a defensive midfielder and throw in an attacking one.

That's just my two-pence worth.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2009 03:31:20 pm
      Well its no good Rafa coming out & Saying Mascherano & Lucas have been sh*te he's as certain as %100 to start as it would hardly be good for his relations with either or Masch or Lucas, he's being Coy, do I expect to see Aquilani involved this evening, Yes I do, do I expect him to start ?, Sadly no I don't, Rafa will want to ease him  into the squad half an hour here and there for two/three games and then we'll see him take his place in teh Starting XI IMO.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2009 03:31:48 pm
      I personally don't think Aquilani is fully ready yet, but Rafa doesn't want to say that because when he signed Aquilani, he was meant to be playing full games at least a month or two are now.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2009 03:32:47 pm
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 357 posts |
      Reply #6: Nov 24, 2009 03:37:05 pm
      Thanks for the reassurances lads  :)

Probably right.  Aquilani just not ready yet.  Also agreed with JD about defence concerns.

Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #7: Nov 24, 2009 03:40:18 pm
      Thanks for the reassurances lads  :)

Probably right.  Aquilani just not ready yet.  Also agreed with JD about defence concerns.

To be honest he has been out since March with a dodgy ankle, that is a long time out, I mean I ruptured my ankle ligaments back in May and it still gives me grief, and i play 3 times a week. The ankle is one of those that is so dodgy, you really cant afford to take risks.
      Dangerich
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Re: Is Rafa choosing Lucas over Aquilani????
      Reply #8: Nov 24, 2009 03:42:35 pm
      Its all about nmatch fitness, Nothing More, Nothing Less.
      Have we not learnt in the past 2 months that we CAN'T RISK ANY MORE PLAYER INJURIES?!!

COME ON YOU RED MEN TONIGHT! ....(AND LYON TOO!)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #9: Nov 24, 2009 04:08:12 pm
      Also, even if he is 100% super fit, I'm sure the problems with our defence are also weighing heavily on Benitez' mind.  The constant changing of the back four means it would be a risky time to remove a defensive midfielder and throw in an attacking one.

That's just my two-pence worth.

Keep both Lucas and Mascherano in then. Move Gerrard to the right and pop Alberto in behind the striker.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,846 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #10: Nov 24, 2009 04:56:57 pm
      Now that Aquilani is nearing fitness could be an incentive for Lucas to keep improving and try to hold onto his place,if Aquilani is half as decent as reports suggest then once he gets a first team starting place he'll be difficult to move ,good to see our midfield is not written in stone and we are gonna have options again
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #11: Nov 24, 2009 05:04:04 pm
      Start him off the bench second half and just let him do his own thing,give him the freedom to roam about it's what he is at they won't know how to deal with that.
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #12: Nov 24, 2009 05:15:50 pm
      Lucas has proven his worth this season and deserves his place imo.

so that means aqui stays on bench until the season ends.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #13: Nov 24, 2009 05:41:34 pm
      I think this game is made for Aquilani.

- With all respect, Debrecen are not the best side in the world,
      - He won't have to worry too much about defensive duties (because we can't afford to),
      - It's a European tie so probably not at the ferocious pace of the EPL.

I really hope he gets a minimum of 30 mins.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 24, 2009 05:45:38 pm
      Thats not what he says, but if you go about dropping your best performers just because you think someone else might be better, isn't great is it?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #15: Nov 24, 2009 06:10:29 pm

Just a hint of sarcasm in that post.

Rafa doesn't want to rush the lad back and undo all the work our fitness team have done. It's why he's been permanently injured in Serie A because Roma kept rushing him back and more than likely Alberto's injuries had healed properly.

As a few of us have said previously, you probably won't see anything close to the really good Aquilani until after Christmas.
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #16: Nov 24, 2009 06:15:02 pm
      I don't think Aquilani is fully fit yet and I think Rafa is trying to fit him in to the club and sqaud before starting him.
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #17: Nov 24, 2009 06:29:34 pm
      In my opinion the reason hes not playing Aquilani probably because he isnt fit and he doesnt want to place him under pressure to perform and risk more injury.  obviously his problem has been a lot worse than anyone has let on, which is a sickener as we really needed someone to offer a more attack minded midfield role at the beginning of the season........Lucas and Masherano have done ok but more imagination is required at times.  I still think Lucas will improve more with a fit Aquilani to compete against for a place in the starting XI.  If you want to have a go  at some players threaten the back four with a f*cking firing squad!!! God they have been poor this season...we wont win many games until we stop conceding so easily.  Sorry to moan just in a bad mood.
      Cmon lads turn it around tonight and all is forgiven :f_tongueincheek:
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #18: Nov 24, 2009 06:43:02 pm
      Do you expect anything else from mr cautios , he's the most cautios man in football he's scared of putting him in and he breaks down and loses him for another 2/3 months I think he sees him as his get out after the gamble to sign an injured player has been a disaster , look at the league table and look at the position we find ourselves in in the champions league , as for Lucas he's just benitez's igor biscan how long did Houllier try to convince us he was a better player than we thought he was .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #19: Nov 24, 2009 07:21:22 pm
      Do you expect anything else from mr cautios , he's the most cautios man in football he's scared of putting him in and he breaks down and loses him for another 2/3 months I think he sees him as his get out after the gamble to sign an injured player has been a disaster , look at the league table and look at the position we find ourselves in in the champions league , as for Lucas he's just benitez's igor biscan how long did Houllier try to convince us he was a better player than we thought he was .

At least Rafa hasn't tried turning Lucas into a centre-back!
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #20: Nov 24, 2009 08:24:44 pm
      I hope that when Aquilani finally takes to the field, it is worth the wait. So many people on here including me had never heard of the guy before Rafa splashed the cash.
      I for one wont be bigging him up 'cos if he isn't what the price tag suggests he is, what a let down and a waste of money that will be.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #21: Nov 24, 2009 08:30:53 pm
      The reason is that while Aquilani is fit to train and play, Rafa can't risk him getting a bad tackle and being send back to the operating table.
      Stevie-G-
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 24, 2009 09:43:36 pm
      Absolutely appauled at Rafa's decision to give Aquilani 20 bloody seconds on the pitch,he should of came on before Benayoun.

Quick Reply