Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Reds promise £15m to redevelop Anfield

Read 3986 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Dec 18, 2009 05:56:37 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/reds-promise-16315m-to-redevelop-anfield-1844086.html

Liverpool have insisted they are willing to invest the estimated £15m it would take to upgrade Anfield to a World Cup venue for 2018 or 2022 should the club not get their proposed new stadium off the ground in time.

The Football Association asked the city's bid team to include Anfield as a back-up option in case the proposed new stadium at Stanley Park does not materialise.

There have been doubts in some quarters in the city about the club's willingness to commit to the overhaul of car parking, corporate facilities and seating needed, when only a brand new stadium would enable the club to earn as much match-day revenue as Manchester United and Arsenal. But a senior Liverpool source said the investment would be made if necessary.

The FA said that the city's bid included undertakings committing Liverpool financially to such work on Anfield if the stadium were called upon.

Liverpool are anticipating having the new stadium in place, though. The key to that is the pursuit of investors which has been under way for several months with the aim of raising at least £100m by selling a 25 per cent share of the club to one or a number of equity holders.

The idea of having a number rather than just a single investor – a model resembling the institutional shareholders of a public company who are consulted at an AGM but are otherwise at arm's length to let the business develop under its management – has its attractions.

On the football front, Javier Mascherano, whose contribution in the 2-1 win over Wigan Athletic underlined his emergence back into form, has admitted that Liverpool's season is heavily dependent on the fitness of Fernando Torres. "It is so important for us that Fernando stays fit," he said. "We know that we can win games when he is not playing but, equally, when he is on the pitch you can see the respect that other teams give him."

The Argentine said he and manager Rafael Benitez had discussed Argentina's ultimately successful battle to qualify for the World Cup as a way of approaching Liverpool's struggle. "We have spoken a lot about that situation," he said. "The pressure with Argentina to put them in the World Cup was worse; not because it is my country and Liverpool is my club. Here you have a little bit more time to do the right things."
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Reds promise £15m to redevelop Anfield
      Reply #1: Dec 18, 2009 07:47:27 pm
      Redevelopment in what sense? Corporate facilities? Just what Anfield needs, more bloody corporate suites  >:(

Im staggered the club isnt sure that the stadium will be built in NINE YEARS TIME. Im not surprised, but its still awful.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Dec 18, 2009 09:03:27 pm
      I bet this will mean another bloody loan, simple as that.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Dec 19, 2009 11:25:03 am
      We need a new stadium, end of.

£15M to redevelop Anfield is just a temporary fix, it's not the long term solution.

I should hope that we have a new stadium in 9 years.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Dec 19, 2009 11:31:12 am
      15 million buys a good player!
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #5: Dec 19, 2009 11:49:45 am
      Exactly Brian.

If it was up to me I'll take the 15 million to buy the player rather than getting the stadium upgraded.

Besides, you can't do much with 15 million on a stadium.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: Dec 20, 2009 09:43:58 am
      15Million?

We do need a new scoreboard though.

Wise investment Yanks, another cracker.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #7: Dec 20, 2009 12:21:16 pm
      This is some F***ing joke, Spurs building a new stadium and there is us planning a £15 million investment in Anfield that will probably come from our transfer budget the same way the player contracts did, thanks lads I thought ye were building us a new stadium so now its just £15 million investment in Anfield.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2009 06:56:23 pm
      15Million?

We do need a new scoreboard though.

Wise investment Yanks, another cracker.

I'd prefer someone to start lashing some numbers in our favour up on it first. ;)

Quick Reply