Trending Topics

The Pacific Mini Series Spring 2010

Read 12286 times
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: The Pacific,Miniseries Spring 2010.
      Reply #23: Mar 04, 2010 05:32:01 pm
      Can't wait for this, it looks like a classic.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #24: Mar 04, 2010 06:00:17 pm
      Can't wait for this, it looks like a classic.

Agree, I can't see them doing anything wrong, if it's even half the series Band Of Brothers was, it'll be magnificent.

Here's an interesting quote from Spielberg, from that site I posted earlier:

Spielberg Discusses Pacific…and Hints at More War Films!
      Thursday, February 4th, 2010

Steven Spielberg, Executive Producer of The Pacific, was recently interviewed and discussed the mini-series with film blog website, The Collider.com. When asked about how long it took him to help get Pacific developed, he said the following:

“I would say years. Longer than I actually remember. It was inevitable that we would do The Pacific with HBO because there was such an overwhelming response, not only from the general public that got very involved in Band of Brothers, but we got so much positive mail. At the same time, that mail said, “I was a veteran of the Solomons.” “I fought on Tarawa.” “I was at Midway.” We got so many letters of veterans from the Pacific Theater of Operations, asking us if we could acquit their stories the way we acquitted the stories of the European Theater of Operations.”

Futhermore, when asked about any future plans to develop WWII films, he hinted:

“There are many more stories to tell, and we’re going to tell them.”

What will these films be? Midway? 8th Air Force? German/Russian Theater of War?

Don't think The Pacific will be the end of Spielberg's work on World War Two, looks like he wants to tell the full story of what really happened.

He has a way of humanising events to make them so realistic and moving, to fully bring home the tragedy of what those poor, brave men suffered. He depicts events with a frankness and honesty - all the veterans seem to agree.

Can't wait.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #25: Mar 04, 2010 06:03:25 pm
      That interview has me salivating! His way of telling WW2 stories really is unrivalled. I remember a veteran who saw Saving Private Ryan saying that the only thing he didn't portray was the smell - that's how accurate he is.

Itching for this show to get started.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #26: Mar 04, 2010 06:04:51 pm
      Would love them to the battle of Kursk, largest tank battle ever. that would be awesome.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #27: Mar 08, 2010 01:32:35 am
      I watched Flags of our Fathers (which some may be interested in relation to The Pacific - going to watch Letters From Iwo Jima tommorow) last night and whilst the battle scenes were good, they lacked the immense intensity of Spielberg's utter genius from Saving Private Ryan. The opening 25 minutes at Ohama Beach in Saving Private Ryan is the most incredible opening to a film ever. But the half hour battle at the end in the small French town is just as captivating. What a man that Spielberg is. He never fails to amaze me.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: The Pacific Mini Series Spring 2010
      Reply #28: Mar 08, 2010 06:17:20 pm
      Woah. Hadn't even heard about this. I loved Band of Brothers!

Looking forward to this!

Just found out it's on Sky Movies. How annoying. Internet it is.
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010 06:38:11 pm by paulrobbo »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Mar 11, 2010 07:55:28 pm
      Three days!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Mar 12, 2010 12:33:07 am
      I watched Flags of our Fathers (which some may be interested in relation to The Pacific - going to watch Letters From Iwo Jima tommorow) last night and whilst the battle scenes were good, they lacked the immense intensity of Spielberg's utter genius from Saving Private Ryan. The opening 25 minutes at Ohama Beach in Saving Private Ryan is the most incredible opening to a film ever. But the half hour battle at the end in the small French town is just as captivating. What a man that Spielberg is. He never fails to amaze me.

I like Flags of our Fathers too. I think Clint Eastwood never done a bad film... ever. But Letters from Iwo Jima is even better.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #31: Mar 15, 2010 06:02:33 am
      I'm watching Ep. 1 right now!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #32: Mar 15, 2010 06:56:00 am
      ^^ Brilliant!

Just remembered that from what I remember they filmed a lot of this in Australia as well.

Can't wait for the next part!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #33: Mar 15, 2010 02:18:01 pm

Don't say anything yet, doesn't start here until April 5th!
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #34: Mar 15, 2010 05:54:42 pm
      Just downloaded and watched it, as I don't have Sky Movies anyway so there is no point in me waiting.

Good first episode, I thought. Thats all I'll say.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #35: Mar 15, 2010 05:55:37 pm
      Downloaded it aswell, will be watching tonight, can't wait :D
      __ingo
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 122 posts |
      • Brazilian Red ;)
      Reply #36: Mar 15, 2010 05:57:38 pm
      I'm downloading it right now. HBO is gonna show it here in Brazil next week, but I just can't wait that long. :P
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #37: Mar 24, 2010 02:01:14 pm
      It's quiet in here, how come? I'm really enjoying it so far, loved the first 2 episodes.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #38: Mar 24, 2010 05:53:28 pm
      Thought the first episode was excellent.

Don't want to ruin things for Huyton Red, so I won't say too much.

I was wondering if I'd be hooked, or if the characters would seem as interesting after Band of Brothers - so far I'm not disappointed.

Can't wait to see the second episode now.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #39: Mar 24, 2010 06:00:18 pm
      Brilliant isn't it? Second episode just as good as well, loving it so far. Brutally honest show it is, love the talk from veterans they do at the start as well.

Hurry up and illegally download it, Huyton!! :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #40: Mar 24, 2010 06:11:14 pm
      Brutally honest show it is, love the talk from veterans they do at the start as well.

Yeah, I've got the Collector's Edition of Band of Brothers, there's some cracking documentaries talking to the surviving members of the 101st Airborne.

It's exceptionally moving, because you can see how touched they are to remember events from so long ago, it must have been terrifying for them.

That's what I like about what Hanks and Spielberg have done, because if the veterans are pleased with the final result, then as you say, the programme is an honest depiction of the war, which is the whole point.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #41: Mar 24, 2010 07:38:30 pm
      Brilliant isn't it? Second episode just as good as well, loving it so far. Brutally honest show it is, love the talk from veterans they do at the start as well.

Hurry up and illegally download it, Huyton!! :D

No!!

I'm waiting for it to start Bank Holiday Monday, so I can watch it on the box, proper surround sound and everything.

One piece of television I'm actually looking forward too.

Yeah, I've got the Collector's Edition of Band of Brothers, there's some cracking documentaries talking to the surviving members of the 101st Airborne.

It's exceptionally moving, because you can see how touched they are to remember events from so long ago, it must have been terrifying for them.

That's what I like about what Hanks and Spielberg have done, because if the veterans are pleased with the final result, then as you say, the programme is an honest depiction of the war, which is the whole point.

The interviews in full are amazing when you watch them and listen to what they have to say, brings a proper lump to my throat when ever I rewatch them.

Personally think the episodes surrounding their time in the forest during winter is Band Of Brothers at it's most powerful best, especially the episode that follows the first-aider/doc around.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #42: Mar 24, 2010 10:21:52 pm
      This will be good if it's anything as near as good as Band of Brothers......
      Danny2304
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts |
      • Stairway to heaven
      Reply #43: Mar 25, 2010 08:19:51 pm
      Just Downloaded episodes 1 and 2 going to go up and watch them later.

Really excited for this mini series. I bought Band of brothers when It came out on box set £100 :o Now it's on blu ray for like £40 haha.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #44: Mar 28, 2010 08:12:55 am
      All I can say is that i'm all excited and that i'm gonna wait until next week when it starts on sky,so please guys and girls no hints or clues.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #45: Apr 04, 2010 12:35:15 am
      Just saw episode 3.

Show just keeps getting better and better!

Quick Reply