Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Sebastian Leto Player Thread

Read 43861 times
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Sebastian Leto Player Thread
      May 22, 2007 09:08:10 am
      Just reading through the Guardian (good shout by the way who ever said yesterday about the champions league section) and in one of the stories it says that Sebastian Leto is joining very soon with Lucas....

Did anybody know about this???
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2015 06:20:36 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: Sebastian Leto
      Reply #1: May 22, 2007 09:47:21 am
      Yes mate pretty sure the Leto deal was agreed in principal in the January transfer window, and the Lucas deal came up last week.Heres a small piece from todays Independent.

Liverpool have agreed deals this summer for Lucas Leiva, a £6m midfielder from Brazilian club Gremio, Argentine left winger Sebastian Leto and the Bayer Leverkusen striker Andre Voronin, but more lauded names are anticipated at Anfield as Benitez spends a £40m transfer budget that could be swelled by sales and revenue from this season's Champions League.

A proven goalscorer is a priority, with Samuel Eto'o, Fernando Torres and Carlos Tevez under consideration, while former targets such as Real Zaragoza centre-half Gabriel Milito and Seville's Daniel Alves are now within the budget allocated by the Americans.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2567938.ece
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2007 09:49:26 am by Glenbuck »
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #2: May 22, 2007 12:39:27 pm
      I read we had already signed him when the Lucas story broke but can't remember where.  It only said that we'd already signed south american left winger Leto so i didn't even know what nationality he was(cheers Glenbuck).  Anyone got any more info on him?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #3: May 22, 2007 12:47:54 pm

Heres a bit from Sky on the 9th January.

Argentine club Lanus claim Liverpool are in discussions to sign promising midfielder Sebastian Leto.

The 20-year-old has been tracked by Argentinian giants River Plate, while an unnamed Spanish club are also rumoured to be keen.

But Lanus have now broken off negotiations with River Plate and have revealed talks are taking place with Liverpool.

A fee of £1.85million has been mooted for Leto, with Lanus vice-president Ruben Ferreti hopeful of concluding a deal with the Premiership club.

"We have ended the conversations with River because they say that Leto is too expensive for their budget, but we have an expectation because we have received phone calls from Liverpool for the player," Ferreti told www.ole.com.ar.

"It seems to be that they would accept what we want for the player.

"Liverpool is interested, but we have to keep on having conversations. Nothing has been agreed yet.

"I think that the negotiations are going in the right way and, if we arrange something with Liverpool, it will surely be before the end of this week."

And a few lines on wikipedia, but other than that I cant find out a lot about him.

Sebastián Leto (born August 30, 1986, Alejandro Korn, Buenos Aires) is an Argentine football player who currently plays for Club Atlético Lanús, on loan from Liverpool. He is a fast-paced left winger, but is unusually tall for the position at 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in).

Leto broke into the Lanús first team in 2005. In summer 2006 there were rumours linking him with a move to Real Betis for €4 million. River Plate and Racing Club were interested in buying him before Liverpool stepped in to sign the youngster in January of 2007 for $3.6 million. Leto will join Liverpool for the start of the 2007-2008 season. The player stated that he is relishing the chance to play for Liverpool, "I am calm. Liverpool is a club with a lot of history. I do not fear the challenge," said Leto.[1]

Liverpool invest in future with young trio
      By Andy Hunter
      Published: 12 January 2007
      Liverpool are expected to complete the signing of three highly rated youngsters within the next week despite criticism from their manager, Rafael Benitez, that the Anfield board has been hesitant and miserly in the transfer market.

Benitez tried to shift blame for the Carling Cup defeat by Arsenal on to the Anfield hierarchy, ignoring the fact that he has spent more than Arsène Wenger during his two and a half years in the Premiership.

Now it has been announced that the club have signed the Argentine defender Emiliano Insua on an 18-month loan from Boca Juniors, with his compatriot Sebastian Leto and the Swedish striker Astrit Ajdarevic due to sign permanent deals next week.

Liverpool moved for 20-year-old Leto late last year when his current club, Club Atletico Lanus, broke off negotiations with River Plate over the winger's transfer fee. Lanus have accepted a £1.85m offer from Liverpool for Leto, who will remain in South America on loan until June before moving permanently in the summer. Also arriving are the Boca Juniors left-back Insua until June 2008 - and Ajdarevic, a 16-year-old with Swedish second division side Falkenberg.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007 12:50:19 pm by Glenbuck »
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #4: May 22, 2007 01:00:15 pm
      this is all i can find on youtube for him!

does not really give you much of an insight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5HfXULDSD4
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: May 24, 2007 10:20:19 pm

Heres a bit from Sky on the 9th January.

Argentine club Lanus claim Liverpool are in discussions to sign promising midfielder Sebastian Leto.

The 20-year-old has been tracked by Argentinian giants River Plate, while an unnamed Spanish club are also rumoured to be keen.

But Lanus have now broken off negotiations with River Plate and have revealed talks are taking place with Liverpool.

A fee of £1.85million has been mooted for Leto, with Lanus vice-president Ruben Ferreti hopeful of concluding a deal with the Premiership club.

"We have ended the conversations with River because they say that Leto is too expensive for their budget, but we have an expectation because we have received phone calls from Liverpool for the player," Ferreti told www.ole.com.ar.

"It seems to be that they would accept what we want for the player.

"Liverpool is interested, but we have to keep on having conversations. Nothing has been agreed yet.

"I think that the negotiations are going in the right way and, if we arrange something with Liverpool, it will surely be before the end of this week."

And a few lines on wikipedia, but other than that I cant find out a lot about him.

Sebastián Leto (born August 30, 1986, Alejandro Korn, Buenos Aires) is an Argentine football player who currently plays for Club Atlético Lanús, on loan from Liverpool. He is a fast-paced left winger, but is unusually tall for the position at 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in).

Leto broke into the Lanús first team in 2005. In summer 2006 there were rumours linking him with a move to Real Betis for €4 million. River Plate and Racing Club were interested in buying him before Liverpool stepped in to sign the youngster in January of 2007 for $3.6 million. Leto will join Liverpool for the start of the 2007-2008 season. The player stated that he is relishing the chance to play for Liverpool, "I am calm. Liverpool is a club with a lot of history. I do not fear the challenge," said Leto.[1]

Liverpool invest in future with young trio
      By Andy Hunter
      Published: 12 January 2007
      Liverpool are expected to complete the signing of three highly rated youngsters within the next week despite criticism from their manager, Rafael Benitez, that the Anfield board has been hesitant and miserly in the transfer market.

Benitez tried to shift blame for the Carling Cup defeat by Arsenal on to the Anfield hierarchy, ignoring the fact that he has spent more than Arsène Wenger during his two and a half years in the Premiership.

Now it has been announced that the club have signed the Argentine defender Emiliano Insua on an 18-month loan from Boca Juniors, with his compatriot Sebastian Leto and the Swedish striker Astrit Ajdarevic due to sign permanent deals next week.

Liverpool moved for 20-year-old Leto late last year when his current club, Club Atletico Lanus, broke off negotiations with River Plate over the winger's transfer fee. Lanus have accepted a £1.85m offer from Liverpool for Leto, who will remain in South America on loan until June before moving permanently in the summer. Also arriving are the Boca Juniors left-back Insua until June 2008 - and Ajdarevic, a 16-year-old with Swedish second division side Falkenberg.

Looks like Jimmy Nail !!  :D
      Kofansatboston
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 27, 2007 03:33:48 pm
      I am just wondering if he is as good as Messi, or the one after Messi, how can he be not in the team for Copa America? 
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Jun 27, 2007 04:33:10 pm
      wot position does he play
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #8: Jun 27, 2007 04:51:57 pm
      Read the above posts first and it'll tell you  ::), as 4 of them have it in there posts.

Or if this is easier for you, a left winger.
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 04:54:15 pm by mrtommo »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Sebastian Leto
      Reply #9: Apr 20, 2008 04:26:21 pm
      Why is this player not playing any games for the reserves even? He was probably our best reserve player until he stopped playing for them.

I heard that it's something to do with a work permit. However he's still in this country so whats going on? Would like to see him back as I feel like he's got a bit of potential to show!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Apr 20, 2008 04:35:06 pm
      Why is this player not playing any games for the reserves even? He was probably our best reserve player until he stopped playing for them.

I heard that it's something to do with a work permit. However he's still in this country so whats going on? Would like to see him back as I feel like he's got a bit of potential to show!

He was at the JFT96 ceremony... one for the future "for sure".
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Apr 20, 2008 04:58:11 pm
      He was at the JFT96 ceremony... one for the future "for sure".

For sure ;)
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #12: Apr 21, 2008 11:53:10 am

Yeah, wondered the same. On LFC TV they said it was work permit issues, but that makes no sense.

Very good at reserve level, could make the step up but was not ready for first team when he arrived.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Apr 21, 2008 02:11:13 pm
      He has had work permit problems evidently something to do with immigration because of his age and tax payments.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #14: Apr 21, 2008 08:40:57 pm
      So he's only aloud to train with us then? Shame for him, I think he could have had some games in the first team by now.

Gutted
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #15: Apr 22, 2008 01:44:18 am
      TBH, don't think he's Liverpool material.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #16: Apr 22, 2008 02:28:56 am
      Not good enough for the first team yet, hasn't really impressed me  with what Ive seen so far to be honest, although he did seem  more confident in reserve team action, so may still be one for the future.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #17: Apr 24, 2008 12:08:35 am
      Lightweight.

Not good enough for Liverpool.  Will probably end up playing for someone like FC Bruges or something.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #18: Jul 15, 2008 05:03:16 pm
      Anyone heard anything about his passport problem yet, its getting ridiculous now, surely they cant expect him to just sit and watch seasons go by without him being able to play.

Hope its sorted soon
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Sebastian Leto (Olympiakos)
      Reply #19: Jul 16, 2008 03:39:52 pm
      lympiakos are reportedly in talks with Liverpool over the signing of midfielder Sebastian Leto.

Leto joined The Reds last summer from Lanus but has struggled for first-team opportunities since his switch.

The Argentine has previously been linked with a move away from Anfield, with rumours suggesting he could be used as part of a swap deal for Espanyol's Albert Riera.

However, fresh reports claim Leto, 21, could be set to join Olympiakos for a fee in the region of €1.6million (£1.3million) after the Greek champions held discussions with Liverpool over the weekend.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3826484,00.html

Interesting, I dunno what would be the point in keeping the kid if we can't get the right papers for him to play but I would prefer to have him out on loan and sell him right off.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Sebastian Leto (Olympiakos)
      Reply #20: Jul 16, 2008 03:50:43 pm
      Stuggled for first team oppotunities? Isn't it because of his passport or something though?
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #21: Jul 16, 2008 03:52:45 pm
      no be honest hes just not good enough
      thekopster
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -5 
      Reply #22: Jul 16, 2008 04:44:15 pm
      he not the best is he