Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 374811 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #1541: Apr 14, 2014 01:20:46 pm
      Some retards over at the Caf saying "in the long run, he may turn out to be as good as Januzaj".

Lunatics. :lmao:

There's even a supposed Liverpool fan on their forum saying that Januzaj is better. Can't believe so many Liverpool fans have so many posts on that forum and sucking up to that shower of a sh*t club.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1542: Apr 14, 2014 02:14:08 pm
      Another superb display from Sterling.

Him and Coutinho as young as they are both stamped their authority all over that match yesterday.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1543: Apr 14, 2014 03:52:41 pm
      Januzaj better than Sterling??? I've heard it all NOW!!!   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1544: Apr 14, 2014 05:45:54 pm
      Januzaj better than Sterling??? I've heard it all NOW!!!   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

If Januzaj didn't play for the mancs and played for someone like Newcastle no one in the media would say a word about him.

Talented kid but way overhyped simply because of who he plays for and the clamour earlier in the season trying to get him an England call up, which the BBC played a part in with HOdge on MOTD, was embarrassing for them.

Back to our lad and he is a proper talent and his progression this season has been way ahead of my expectations. I was one that thought, given his apparent off field problems earlier this season, that a loan deal might be the best option for him to get him out of the limelight a little and let him play his football.

All credit to him and Brendan as I can't see him out of the side now and surely is a cert to go the the World Cup and even a starter for England.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1545: Apr 14, 2014 06:30:37 pm
      All credit to him and Brendan as I can't see him out of the side now and surely is a cert to go the the World Cup and even a starter for England.

Roy would be wise to take a page out of Brendan's playbook and play Raheem in the CAM role behind Studge & Rooney in a 4-4-2 diamond.  Put Gerrard as the anchor with 2 box-to-box players like Hendo & Milner to add the energy to the midfield.  This would allow Johno & Baines to get forward on the overlap.  For me, Raheem is definitely in England's best lineup along with 3 other LFC players:

Hart
      Johno  Cahill  Jagielka  Baines
                     Gerrard
            Milner            Hendo
                      Sterling
             Rooney      Studge
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1546: Apr 14, 2014 07:45:04 pm
      If Januzaj didn't play for the mancs and played for someone like Newcastle no one in the media would say a word about him.

Talented kid but way overhyped simply because of who he plays for and the clamour earlier in the season trying to get him an England call up, which the BBC played a part in with HOdge on MOTD, was embarrassing for them.

Back to our lad and he is a proper talent and his progression this season has been way ahead of my expectations. I was one that thought, given his apparent off field problems earlier this season, that a loan deal might be the best option for him to get him out of the limelight a little and let him play his football.

That was cringe worthy. As soon as the 'he could be eligible to play for England' talk started, it all got blown out of proportion. He's been elevated to a status above the level he actually is. All bias set aside he is a very good young player but he is technically and physically inferior to Sterling. Sterling is quite clearly a level (or two) above Januzaj and pretty much everyone else his age at the moment.

It was clear from the moment Dalglish put him in against Wigan in that 2-1 defeat at Anfield two years ago that the guy had quality in abundance and he very much continued to show that in the first half of the 2012-2013 season. The criticism he received earlier on in the season was way over the top. I was very lucky and grateful to be in the Kop (first time) in the home fixture against Palace where he had a very tough match and his confidence was clearly at rock bottom. The beauty of being at a live match is that you see things the camera doesn't pick up and after giving the ball away cheaply, allowing Palace to get a corner, there was quite a bit of dialogue Steven was sending to Raheem before the corner was taken. The way he was remonstrating certainly appeared that he was trying to offer the poor lad a pick me up. But I felt so sorry for him because you knew that he wasn't oblivious to the exasperated reactions from the Kop and the rest of the stadium when he made these errors. It must have been a tough period for him.

But I'm so delighted to see him turn it all around. I've said it before that he can become the best English player of the last 25 years but I don't think my faith is overdone when I say that he can become one of the top 3 players in the world such is his strength, versatility, vision, tactical intelligence and technical skill. There are few things that this guy does not have in his locker. With the right coaching (ie stay with Brendan) I have no doubt that he will become one of if not the best.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #1547: Apr 14, 2014 09:04:12 pm
      There were a couple of instances where he found himself surrounded by 2 or 3 city players. The boy just doesn't panic, quick drop of the shoulder, change of pace and he's gone. You can imagine what the opposition players are thinking when that happens... 'F**k sake'

On the subject of Januzai... If he had a manager as good at rearing players as Rodgers then he could become Sterling's level.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1548: Apr 14, 2014 09:13:36 pm
      Roy would be wise to take a page out of Brendan's playbook and play Raheem in the CAM role behind Studge & Rooney in a 4-4-2 diamond.  Put Gerrard as the anchor with 2 box-to-box players like Hendo & Milner to add the energy to the midfield.  This would allow Johno & Baines to get forward on the overlap.  For me, Raheem is definitely in England's best lineup along with 3 other LFC players:

Hart
      Johno  Cahill  Jagielka  Baines
                     Gerrard
            Milner            Hendo
                      Sterling
             Rooney      Studge

Hodgson is obsessed with playing wide players though because he lacks imagination and doesn't know how else to incorporate different personnel into other formations. Brendan Rodgers has numerous upon numerous of formations that he could and has used in the past and different tactics associated with them too. Hodgson just has 4-2-3-1 where everything goes through the wide players who just run down the wing and cross it every time.

Let's hope for the sake of Sterling that Brendan has a quiet word with Hodgson :D
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1549: Apr 19, 2014 03:48:05 pm
      Hope he plays up top with Suarez tomorrow think he can be deadly up there with his pace and now he's getting better in front of goal think he can get double figures next season, he's a better version of Dirk Kuyt basically apart from the penalty taking which we've not seen yet.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1550: Apr 20, 2014 01:01:11 pm
      I bet him to score 1st @ 9s; anytime @ 5/2 and two or more @18s... get in wee man.  ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1551: Apr 20, 2014 01:20:26 pm
      You. F***ing. Beauty.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1552: Apr 20, 2014 01:55:41 pm
      He's brilliant. MOTM by far, great performance again
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1553: Apr 20, 2014 01:57:48 pm
      Keeps improving with every game, easily motm today.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1554: Apr 20, 2014 01:59:48 pm
      World class footballer!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1555: Apr 20, 2014 02:12:24 pm
      Another great game by Sterling!

Beautiful first goal!
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #1556: Apr 20, 2014 02:16:35 pm
      This kid was special today, there is no Liverpool team that he doesn't play in now IMO, he's absolutely key.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1557: Apr 20, 2014 02:20:38 pm
      Nice to see the lad is proving my point of him being the most important player on the run in, good lad! :lmao:

Honestly though that again was a performance that belied his years, so mature, so talented, get the lad signed up and rewarded with a new contract he's earned it.

Well in Raheem.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1558: Apr 20, 2014 02:22:59 pm
      Nice to see the lad is proving my point of him being the most important player on the run in, good lad! :lmao:

Honestly though that again was a performance that belied his years, so mature, so talented, get the lad signed up and rewarded with a new contract he's earned it.

Well in Raheem.

Yes indeed. The lad has had a great season and deserves a new contract with a pay hike. It was nice to see how he ran to Brendan today after scoring the opening goal.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1559: Apr 20, 2014 02:38:09 pm
      What a great little player he has become for us. He's probably been our best player since xmas along with Gerrard.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1560: Apr 20, 2014 04:33:29 pm
      Reminded me of Digger at times today. Brilliant display
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #1561: Apr 20, 2014 07:15:33 pm
      Well can't say I didn't say it.

I've been waiting...to gloat about Raheem now he's finally pushed on enough for me to gloat.

I'll not gloat though, I'll just say he can be as good as Messi if he wants in the years to come.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1562: Apr 20, 2014 07:23:17 pm
      Amazing performance today by Sterling. Loving this kid to bits more and more lately.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1563: Apr 20, 2014 07:27:27 pm
      Brendan calling him "the best young talent in European football." Carra agreed with him and I'm going to bow to their much greater knowledge of the European game but that is one hell of a bold statement and has to give Raheem nothing but confidence to hear his manager speak of him like that.

Been so impressed with his composure recently, like all good players appears to have that bit longer on the ball than others and as soon as he's closed down in midfield he ghosts away from people with such minimum fuss.

Let's hope this spurs on those that are pushing for a squad place behind him too.

Quick Reply