Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 375144 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2093: Jan 25, 2015 10:00:34 am
      The Mirror goes with the story and while it may take up some copy and make someone a few pound, promoting this stuff is only negative for LFC.
      The player's agent will of course be in constant touch with whoever can add some fuel to a potential fist full of dollars for him and his man, economic current employers are a definite disadvantage.
      Immediate financial proprieties will take precedent, success in a longer context is a casualty.
      As has been mentioned every negative aspect of the Suarez debacle and the implication on the club could be about to be repeated, JWH & Co apparently are not for turning.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/raheem-sterlings-contract-talks-liverpool-5037240
      edit: link posted previously - apologies.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2094: Jan 25, 2015 10:14:08 am
      Player value, of course you would.

What we'd spend it on, F**k no.

Luke they would have the F***ing cheek to pull the same stunt as with Luis - promise him a pay rise next season and with it some vague indication of major-ish investment just to keep him a while longer; in the event they don't honour either 'cos they F***ing sell him and make a gesture with the fee.
      Interprets as JWH & Co do not spend their own money, as promised.
      It appears that LFC come a poor second to JWH & Co's concern for their stash. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2095: Jan 25, 2015 12:08:13 pm
      Luke they would have the f**king cheek to pull the same stunt as with Luis - promise him a pay rise next season and with it some vague indication of major-ish investment just to keep him a while longer; in the event they don't honour either 'cos they f**king sell him and make a gesture with the fee.

Pretty much agree Stuey.

Used to think I didn't want someone who would throw money at the club, these days I'd love it. (there's ways around FFP before someone comes singing their defense with that bollocks.)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2096: Jan 25, 2015 12:38:20 pm
      I think FSG would love to cash in on Raheem, offering a new contract means jack sh*t in today's climate, Suarez being the example.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #2097: Jan 25, 2015 12:58:45 pm
      After watching him cut through the Chelsea defence like a knife through butter then score past a superb keeper all from a central position it is my firm belief he is more effective playing centrally.

I think you are right but centrally behind the striker is probably his best position. It worked a treat during the run in last season with Raheem at the tip of the diamond. Until Studge returns he is certainly our best option in the lone striking role but in an ideal world the club would be purchasing a top class striker right now which would enable Raheem to play either wide or in advanced midfield position where he is best suited.

They won't though
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2098: Jan 25, 2015 01:11:48 pm
      Luke they would have the f**king cheek to pull the same stunt as with Luis - promise him a pay rise next season and with it some vague indication of major-ish investment just to keep him a while longer; in the event they don't honour either 'cos they f**king sell him and make a gesture with the fee.

History repeating itself again. Didn't they try the same trick with Judas? Masch also alluded to broken promises too didn't he?

When will they learn? :f_tongueincheek:
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #2099: Jan 25, 2015 01:37:55 pm
      I think if they let Raheem go and we win a cup this season, Brendan will be looking elsewhere. 
      I mean, great players are developed and coached and Brendan will be thinking if he brings other players on, that they'll be sold too so why stick around - especially if he wins a cup, he can leave and say well I improved them and we won a cup.  I don't think FSG get LFC; sometimes when they attend games you can see the look of puzzlement. You've either got the passion or you have'nt.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2100: Jan 25, 2015 01:39:47 pm
      So sterling isn't as good as we think, Suarez didn't leave because he actually wanted to play for Barcelona etc, jeez you can tell we didn't win
      Tadders

• 6,742 posts | 569 
      Reply #2101: Jan 25, 2015 01:39:58 pm
      His touch and finishing need an awful lot of work imo
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2102: Jan 25, 2015 02:49:34 pm
      Pretty much agree Stuey.

Used to think I didn't want someone who would throw money at the club, these days I'd love it. (there's ways around FFP before someone comes singing their defense with that bollocks.)

Chelski and the Old twatford crew seem to have circumvented or found a way to negate FFP mate,  illustrating as you point out there is a way around it.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2103: Jan 26, 2015 12:05:38 am
      Not looking good so far...

Raheem Sterling's contract talks with Liverpool stall after he rejects SECOND offer from club
      Jan 24, 2015 22:30 By Soriebah Kajue

The forward, who has been linked with Real Madrid and has two years left on his current deal, wants more than £100,000-a-week

Raheem Sterling's contract talks with Liverpool have stalled.

The England forward has rejected a second offer from the Reds to extend a deal that still has more than two years to run.

And that is a major embarrassment for the club after they promised to have Sterling’s future signed and sealed by the end of January to ease the pain of losing Steven Gerrard to the MLS.

Sterling rejected Liverpool’s opening offer last month after describing their bid to double his wages to £70,000 a week as unacceptable.

Their latest, improved offer has met with the same answer. It seems that Liverpool must now break through the £100,00-a-week barrier if they want to keep the 20-year-old happy.

Liverpool continue to insist that Sterling will not be leaving the club even if the contract impasse continues. And there is no suggestion from the player’s camp that the former QPR tyro wants to leave Anfield. But Brendan Rodgers’ claim that he is close to agreeing terms now seems like misplaced optimism.

Liverpool, though, are aware their prized asset continues to be the focus of admiring glances from Real Madrid.

Sterling has become an integral figure for both club and country, and was awarded the Golden Shoe in 2014 as Europe’s best Under-21 player.

With Gerrard set to leave, he is being lined up to play a key role in Liverpool’s commercial activities as well as spearheading a new era on the pitch.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/raheem-sterlings-contract-talks-liverpool-5037240
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #2104: Jan 26, 2015 12:23:37 am
      So if these "reports" are to be believed (which I highly doubt they should be), then Sterling apparently is placing money above loyalty.

Ok...there's the door lad. I'm all for these guys making what they are worth...but there's been nothing to prove to me that he's worth the supposed 100k a week he wants or has been offered.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4906 
      Reply #2105: Jan 26, 2015 12:49:43 am
      So if these "reports" are to be believed (which I highly doubt they should be), then Sterling apparently is placing money above loyalty.

Ok...there's the door lad. I'm all for these guys making what they are worth...but there's been nothing to prove to me that he's worth the supposed 100k a week he wants or has been offered.

Maybe FL.

But do we just refuse to pay what might be the going rate for a player who could go on to be one of our most important in the next five years or so?

Not many players in this league can do what Raheem did last week against Chelsea so I'd be inclined to do whatever it takes to get him signed up.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2106: Jan 26, 2015 01:32:37 am
      I can come up with a few reasons for and against him being worth the 100k+. On one hand you look at people like Balotelli (60k+), Lambert & Lovren (50k+) and  Johnson (70k+) and it makes you think that Sterling should be paid what he's asking for considering we depend on him far more and he does produce, although not every game. On the other hand, there haven't been many players earning over 100k in previous years at the club, I think there is only one at the moment. Give him 80-90k a week and the rest in add ons. I'm confident that we will eventually get him to sign.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #2107: Jan 26, 2015 02:25:47 am
      I for one think all of this contract talk is BS anyway. Sterling is going nowhere unless he wants to.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2108: Jan 26, 2015 09:17:39 am
      I heard last night that his agent confirmed these rumours are a load of tosh and that talks haven't stalled.  I'm sure he'll sign.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2109: Jan 26, 2015 10:28:50 am
      still an exciting player for us but had a poor game v bolton i think he could have been a bit more composed on a few occasions and squared it. also he gave the ball away a few times trying to be to fancy but he's still learning that role to be fair.
      he will be even better once Sturridge is back and he has more options as he was isolated on his own. still think this deal needs to be sorted by the end of the month otherwise it will drag on till the summer and fans will lose patienance with him. Jordan Ibe IMO has potential to just as good imagine them both together running at defenders.  ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2110: Jan 26, 2015 04:06:32 pm
      if Madrid offer £100m for him, would you take it?

That's the wrong question to ask. The right one is, would you trust the club to spend it wisely?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2111: Jan 26, 2015 04:12:13 pm
      That's the wrong question to ask. The right one is, would you trust the club to spend it wisely?

Most certainly not, keep him! :)
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2112: Jan 26, 2015 04:33:19 pm
      Chelsea are monitoring the situation and will come in with a bid in the summer if no new deal is signed you watch us sell him for like 25mil and he goes on to be a world beater. i dont think he's worth what he's asking a week but thats the downside of football today its all about the money and agents fees. i say we chuck what he wants at him along with Coutinho and get both of them to sign 5yr deals with no buyout clause meaning we sell them for what we want. Either way he best sign a new deal in the next week or so or this one will drag out all summer and fans will turn
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #2113: Jan 26, 2015 04:33:31 pm

I'm pretty certain that were we to sell him to another club they would pay him in excess of100k per week therefore he is worth that amount surely?

If I sell my house it is worth what others are willing to pay for it, it isn't so different with players is it? Least not in terms of the salaries they command.

He is our brightest young player and likely to be the best player at the club with the potential to be labelled 'world class' in a couple of years. We not exactly over-endowed with players of this ilk so Just pay the lad what he's worth.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2114: Jan 26, 2015 05:23:38 pm
      I for one think all of this contract talk is BS anyway. Sterling is going nowhere unless he wants to.

In a factual sense these ''disclosures'' do not qualify.
      His agent denies there is any substance to the stories.

Par for the course in a sniffing process by clubs such as Barca or RM.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #2115: Jan 26, 2015 05:50:11 pm
      And for the record, I would be shocked to see him get more than 100k per week from us or any other team.

He simply hasn't proven yet that he's worth it and contrary to what seems to be popular belief...most clubs these days don't just throw obscene wages at unproven "potential".

Now, if Sterling starts to punish teams when he's got the ball in positions like he did against Bolton...he'll quickly move from "potential" to flat out "proven", if not world class. But there's a long way to go there yet.

Quick Reply