Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 374930 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2300: Feb 27, 2015 02:17:35 pm
      So we aren't allowed to be critical of his performance?

Of course FL.

But most seem to be criticising it based on him asking for more wages.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #2301: Feb 27, 2015 02:24:04 pm
      Of course FL.

But most seem to be criticising it based on him asking for more wages.

Which is fair in my opinion.

If he wants to be one of the highest paid players on the team, then he needs to show that game in and out he's one of the most consistent and the most threatening to score. And he has to step up to take a penalty. I mean that's a bare minimum for someone making 100+ per week.

Little Joe Allen is probably the most bashed player on this forum and he not only had a good game, but he stepped up and took his penalty like a professional. Didn't run and hide and he's on what....half or a third what Sterling wants to be on?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #2302: Feb 27, 2015 02:26:07 pm
      Which is fair in my opinion.

If he wants to be one of the highest paid players on the team, then he needs to show that game in and out he's one of the most consistent and the most threatening to score. And he has to step up to take a penalty. I mean that's a bare minimum for someone making 100+ per week.

Little Joe Allen is probably the most bashed player on this forum and he not only had a good game, but he stepped up and took his penalty like a professional. Didn't run and hide and he's on what....half or a third what Sterling wants to be on?

If he played sh*te he played sh*te.

He still probably would have played as bad if his wages were double last night.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #2303: Feb 27, 2015 02:36:05 pm
      If he played sh*te he played sh*te.

He still probably would have played as bad if his wages were double last night.

Eh...maybe...or maybe all of this talk of him being the next <insert favorite superstar> is going to his head and he's losing the drive that has helped him bust out to where he currently is?

Ibe didn't play particularly well last night, and he's not receiving too much extra stick because the expectations for him are reasonable at this point.

I think the expectations placed on Raheem by fans and media has gotten ridiculous...and he's started to believe all of the hype.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2304: Mar 01, 2015 10:17:51 am
      Then he shouldn't hold out for the money he supposedly is. He should get paid "developing player" money.

Can't have it both ways. No other player on our squad is given leeway for poor performances, why should Sterling?

We don't know what he is holding out for, all we know is what the press say and if people believe the press then....
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2305: Mar 01, 2015 10:57:19 am
      Perfect game for Sterling to get his single back, he usually plays well against City, and I expect to see him on the score sheet today.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #2306: Mar 01, 2015 02:23:33 pm
      Should have a look at Coutinho and look at how he seems to have sorted his shooting issues.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2307: Mar 01, 2015 02:26:53 pm
      His movement and effort was really good this afternoon. Ok his shooting and clinical play in front of goal needs a lot of work but I thought he was good today.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #2308: Mar 01, 2015 02:32:43 pm
      His movement and effort was really good this afternoon. Ok his shooting and clinical play in front of goal needs a lot of work but I thought he was good today.

Yep, was part of a front three that absolutely terrorised them this afternoon and his pressing was superb. Also made a fantastic tackle on Aguero (I think) edge of our box a few minutes before the 90 which was crucial.

Hopefully we will hear about pen to paper on this contract and see Raheem back to his absolute best in e very near future.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2309: Mar 01, 2015 06:06:34 pm
      Tormented Mangala today. He'll have nightmares with Raheem tonight.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #2310: Mar 01, 2015 08:55:48 pm
      Seriously lads his decision making is bad and his end product is lacking . Yes his pace is blistering but it's not much good if he can't find the net .
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #2311: Mar 01, 2015 08:59:17 pm
      He isn't quite on his game at the moment that is obvious BUT his pace, movement and trickery caused them problems. His final ball and shot have been lacking the last few games, possibly no coincidence it is at the same time as the contract wrangles went public. He will be just fine. It does feel like the knives are out for him somewhat since the contract stuff came out.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #2312: Mar 02, 2015 01:20:53 am
      Really want to see him back on the wing, think he's just so much more dangerous there. Missed a couple chances to really shine today I thought but he sure did terrorize there back three and I loved when he shoulder shrugged Kompany to the ground.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2313: Mar 02, 2015 12:59:13 pm
      like some of the comments below he really needs to back out wide running at people he's not going to be a top striker he's more of a winger beating a man to set up the finishers. On the other hand he's young enough to learn the role and could save us a forturne in buying a striker if it pays off.. and if he signs a new deal of course
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2314: Mar 03, 2015 12:09:27 am
      2 assists for the over elaborate little scav at the weekend.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #2315: Mar 03, 2015 02:32:10 pm
      like some of the comments below he really needs to back out wide running at people he's not going to be a top striker he's more of a winger beating a man to set up the finishers. On the other hand he's young enough to learn the role and could save us a forturne in buying a striker if it pays off.. and if he signs a new deal of course

I kind of appreciate what everyone keeps saying about him not being a striker BUT at the same time I look at the results we have had over the last 3 months WITH Raheem playing in the number 9 shirt and think he can't be doing such a bad job up there can he?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2316: Mar 03, 2015 02:44:53 pm
      I kind of appreciate what everyone keeps saying about him not being a striker BUT at the same time I look at the results we have had over the last 3 months WITH Raheem playing in the number 9 shirt and think he can't be doing such a bad job up there can he?
      It's certainly no coincidence Scotty. The skill, pace, ability to make space and savvy, he has. were things which were missing from our forward play for all of the first half of the season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2317: Mar 03, 2015 04:09:07 pm
      I had doubts about him playing up top against two centre backs of such size in Kompany and Mangala but he made them look like a right pair of plonkers. Don't think I'll be questioning him being played up top again. Him and Sturridge as a pairing could work out.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #2318: Mar 03, 2015 06:57:40 pm
      It's certainly no coincidence Scotty. The skill, pace, ability to make space and savvy, he has. were things which were missing from our forward play for all of the first half of the season.

Definitely mate, you are bang on when you say he has some 'savvy' for the position and when Studge is fully fit Sterling still gets the nod as our next best option up front for me. He can't be easy to mark, he can play on the shoulder, he likes to drop off and play in the hole and he naturally drifts to the left as well. So long as you have clever runners (like we do) such as Lallana, Coutinho and Henderson to run beyond him or move into the spaces he vacates it makes for a very fluid (and bloody difficult to mark) way of playing.

I had doubts about him playing up top against two centre backs of such size in Kompany and Mangala but he made them look like a right pair of plonkers. Don't think I'll be questioning him being played up top again. Him and Sturridge as a pairing could work out.

It'd be interesting to see the two of them together up there at some stage for sure. Despite Balotelli showing a few green shoots recently I get the impression Brendan still isn't happy about compromising our pressing game (which inevitably happens when Balo is on the pitch) so maybe we may see them play together.

I also think that Sterling will get better in the role the more he plays, there has been evidence of that in the relatively short time he has been playing in the 9 and it will only improve his development in the long run and make him a more rounded player.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2319: Mar 03, 2015 07:20:15 pm

And just his presence as well. His pace and strength gives defenders something to think about, so they step us less into the midfield, etc. That's hugely effective without even touching the ball.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #2320: Mar 03, 2015 07:41:47 pm
      And just his presence as well. His pace and strength gives defenders something to think about, so they step us less into the midfield, etc. That's hugely effective without even touching the ball.

It certainly does fella, his pace and the threat poses makes space for others in the side. This is why I get annoyed when I read posts (and there have been many of them) calling him out for his decision making, final ball, shooting etc, yes they can improve (and I have absolutely no doubt that they will) but he already brings so much to the table as a player.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #2321: Mar 14, 2015 09:25:22 am
      Sterling has delayed contract talks until the end of the season to concentrate to help LFC finish as high as poss in the Prem and win the FA cup.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-sweating-over-raheem-sterlings-5329837
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2322: Mar 14, 2015 09:29:12 am
      Sterling has delayed contract talks until the end of the season to concentrate to help LFC finish as high as poss in the Prem and win the FA cup.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-sweating-over-raheem-sterlings-5329837

Good, but I expect stories in shitrags from now to June sending some fans in to a feeding frenzy.

Quick Reply