Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 375084 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2116: Jan 26, 2015 07:07:45 pm
      Ain't Raheem's agent his father?.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2117: Jan 26, 2015 07:37:35 pm
      As I've said many times, give him whatever he wants plus 10K a week for good measure (obviously within reason, not "So if he asks for 50 million a week etc etc"). Put a buyout clause in at around 80 million quid, and we'll get back whatever it costs anyway. No brainer, get him signed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,121 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2118: Jan 26, 2015 07:55:39 pm
      Don't know why we should pander to him, he's a long way from being the player I think he thinks he is

He's 19 or 20 hasn't done anything yet in his career to show he's worth crazy money. Just offer what he's worth and he's far from priceless. Agent involved might be misleading the kid here to though
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2119: Jan 26, 2015 09:58:44 pm
      So what does he have some 13-14 months of first team football under his belt don't think he is in a position to dictate or hold us to a king's ransom just yet.

Some time away from being world class in my opinion still needs to keep working and developing.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2120: Jan 26, 2015 10:06:27 pm
      Ain't Raheem's agent his father?.
      I read somewhere Raheem has a group of agents. They´ve supported him (and his family) financelly from a very young age. No surprise they´re asking for as much as possible for their client. Raheem has no say in negotiations whatsoever I´d guess.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2121: Jan 26, 2015 10:14:00 pm
      Just pay Sterling what he wants, as other clubs will obviously pay the wages required for Sterling.

He's been our best player this season, and he's only going to get better.

And for the record, I would be shocked to see him get more than 100k per week from us or any other team.

He simply hasn't proven yet that he's worth it and contrary to what seems to be popular belief...most clubs these days don't just throw obscene wages at unproven "potential".

Luke Shaw.

Clubs do pay high wages for very talented players, and Sterling is a very talented player.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2122: Jan 27, 2015 08:06:02 am
      . Raheem has no say in negotiations whatsoever I´d guess.

Of course he does, they're his employees at the end of the day

Just pay Sterling what he wants, as other clubs will obviously pay the wages required for Sterling.

He's been our best player this season, and he's only going to get better.

I tend to agree within reason, of course if he wanted something completely daft then you can't be held to ransom. But when you look at the big picture, he is renowned as one of the brightest young talents in world football, he is playing in a cash rich league and would be touted for any top club should he be let to run down his contract especially.
      Even though I think he still has a way to go to fulfil his potential I don't think 100k in this modern football is unreasonable.

We can't low ball this as it will come to bite us, again
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2123: Jan 27, 2015 08:12:16 am
      Chelsea want him, was told about this couple of months back.

Still the case, what we are seeing here is another classic by the club making out it's the player/agent who are holding out rather than the club.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2124: Jan 27, 2015 08:13:52 am
      Of course he does, they're his employees at the end of the day

I tend to agree within reason, of course if he wanted something completely daft then you can't be held to ransom. But when you look at the big picture, he is renowned as one of the brightest young talents in world football, he is playing in a cash rich league and would be touted for any top club should he be let to run down his contract especially.
      Even though I think he still has a way to go to fulfil his potential I don't think 100k in this modern football is unreasonable.

We can't low ball this as it will come to bite us, again

Exactly Jon and players such as Raheem do command a considerable premium. 100k a week is only 20m for 4 years of his service, I 100% guarantee you someone would be willing to spend £30m on Sterling right this moment, when he's your player you should be paying him slightly higher than the competition because of the saving you've already made on a transfer fee.

If we wanted to replace Sterling it would effectively cost us £30m + 100k a week + agent fees. It's an absolute no brainer to sign the kid up, anyone that thinks he hasn't proven enough should check the stats again for how he's been performing compared to anyone in his age bracket. He's already close to world class and he has literally only just turned 20 years of age.

In 2 - 3 years time when his contract needs renewing again £125k a week will look like chickenfeed for a player of his talent. Obstinate negotiations by the club will only result is further pain for us the fans as we watch our best players being farmed by the bigger clubs, pay the lad what he is WORTH!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #2125: Jan 27, 2015 08:35:37 am
      Chelsea want him, was told about this couple of months back.

Still the case, what we are seeing here is another classic by the club making out it's the player/agent who are holding out rather than the club.

More than likely mate we have seen this type of tactic too often recently.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #2126: Jan 27, 2015 10:20:36 am
      So we pay him 100k, then Dturridge will want a bump, then Coutinho pushes for more in his next contract....etc.

Where does it stop?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2127: Jan 27, 2015 11:08:53 am
      So we pay him 100k, then Dturridge will want a bump, then Coutinho pushes for more in his next contract....etc.

Where does it stop?

When we sell them all to clubs with higher Revenues/Ambition.

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2128: Jan 27, 2015 11:21:53 am
      Considering how much he's played the last season and a half, he knows he's worth much more than he's on. How much that is I don't know.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2129: Jan 27, 2015 11:22:08 am

Where does it stop?

If you lose all your top players where does that stop?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2130: Jan 27, 2015 11:25:59 am
      If you lose all your top players where does that stop?

No doubt he wants image rights sorted out.
      Not sure what the argument against is.
      Take out Suarez and Sturridge and Sterling has become the star.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #2131: Jan 27, 2015 11:25:59 am
      He has 2 years left on his contract. I think he will sign an extension, but will stay maximum two more years. If he develop in the same rate, he will definitely want to compete for CL and League titles.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2132: Jan 27, 2015 11:34:06 am

Where does it stop?

Isn't that the whole point of our wage structure though FL, we start them low and increase them to the value of their contribution to the team.

It stops when they no longer have a value.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2133: Jan 27, 2015 11:38:57 am
      Januzaj and Shaw are on more money than Sterling.
      Azpilicueta and Ramires are on more money than Sterling.
      Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wilshere are on more money than Sterling.

Next bracket on from that is into established forwards. 200-300k a week.
      As hard as it was to lose Suarez, it was understandable that he'd move to Spain.
      Losing Sterling would signal that Liverpool as an Elite club were finished.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2134: Jan 27, 2015 11:39:54 am

This.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2135: Jan 27, 2015 11:44:09 am
      Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wilshere are on more money than Sterling.

Next bracket on from that is into established forwards. 200-300k a week.
      As hard as it was to lose Suarez, it was understandable that he'd move to Spain.
      Losing Sterling would signal that Liverpool as an Elite club were finished.

Spot on mate.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2136: Jan 27, 2015 12:02:46 pm

The thing that annoys me is that contract talks with such talented players shouldn't take this long. There is a market value for everything and you can't constantly try to under cut that.

You and I both know that plenty of top clubs around the world would happily pay that market value to him and have fingers crossed we F**k this up and he becomes available.

I have no issues with players who deserve it getting what they deserve, Sterling is a highly valuable commodity who plenty would want, we have him and should pay the going value or he and his advisors will get fu**ed off and then look elsewhere. We have him, ask yourself what it would take to replace him and what he will be worth in 3 years.

Sterling isn't a 30k a week player, he has the potential to be a 200k a week footballer.. Get it sorted before someone else  turns his head and we have to look elsewhere to replace him and I know to F**k with what we have shown under these that we won't/can't bring in established players on that level in. So ultimately we will be downgrading again

This shouldn't be taking this long.

Yes he has aspects to improve in his game but when he does he will be worth an absolute fortune and if someone else gets that benefit then we seriously need to ask questions of ourselves.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,121 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2137: Jan 27, 2015 01:29:26 pm
      Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wilshere are on more money than Sterling

Are any of them really worthy of that money???

Raheem has turned down 2 offers now. So obviously the deal he's looking for is fairly substantial. What has he really done to deserve it? Liverpool fans have him on a pedistool that he doesn't belong on.

He gets his new deal then what will he want 2 years from now? Clubs need to stand up the greed of players and there agents it's fooking sickening
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2138: Jan 27, 2015 01:50:33 pm
      Are any of them really worthy of that money???

Raheem has turned down 2 offers now. So obviously the deal he's looking for is fairly substantial. What has he really done to deserve it? Liverpool fans have him on a pedistool that he doesn't belong on.

He gets his new deal then what will he want 2 years from now? Clubs need to stand up the greed of players and there agents it's fooking sickening

As much as people don't like to hear it Bri, they're paid as much as we are willing to pay them. The greed only exists because fans are willing to pay the sky fees, pay the entrance fees and pay the merchandise fees.

Everybody knows footballers aren't worth £10k a week let alone £300k+ a week but we've created the monster. Refusing to play what someone is worth in a fair market though is our decision and it will only hurt us and benefit our richer rivals.

Quick Reply