Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 375313 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2346: Mar 24, 2015 10:55:20 pm
      Been sent back from the England camp, no idea why but did hear yesterday that he's not fully recovered from a toe injury he's had for a while.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2347: Mar 24, 2015 11:21:09 pm
      Been sent back from the England camp, no idea why but did hear yesterday that he's not fully recovered from a toe injury he's had for a while.

Good! Less chance of getting injured whilst with Ingerland then.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2348: Mar 25, 2015 07:18:42 pm
      Good! Less chance of getting injured whilst with Ingerland then.

My mistake he's available for Fridays game then coming back to Melwood instead of staying for next weeks friendly.  He's been having to have injections for his toe injury that kept him out a few weeks ago.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2349: Mar 25, 2015 11:55:21 pm
      I don't like the idea of playing players when they have injuries whether they're serious or not. If Sterling is still suffering from a toe injury then he shouldn't be starting.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #2350: Mar 26, 2015 03:35:16 am
      He is unrecognisible,he played much better last season,and he is still asking for a ridiculous ammount of money in his new contract.I dont know when he will realise that he is overpricing himself.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2351: Mar 26, 2015 06:55:02 pm
      Off to the islands I say..couple of weeks of surf and turf
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #2352: Mar 27, 2015 12:28:00 pm
      I have to say Raheem looked a good player when Suarez was in the team and setting most of our good moves up along with Couts. But lately he seems like he cannot control the ball, pass, cross or shoot.....he is so overhyped it is untrue.

But 150k a week is the going rate for average players who turn in the odd "outstanding" performance..... Ibe will be better.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2353: Mar 27, 2015 12:34:36 pm
      I have to say Raheem looked a good player when Suarez was in the team and setting most of our good moves up along with Couts. But lately he seems like he cannot control the ball, pass, cross or shoot.....he is so overhyped it is untrue.

But 150k a week is the going rate for average players who turn in the odd "outstanding" performance..... Ibe will be better.

Whilst I agree that Sterling hasn't been performing up to his usual standard lately, you can't be certain that Ibe will be better.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #2354: Mar 27, 2015 12:59:58 pm
      Maybe if Raheem was not being asked to play here there and everywhere he might be able to put in the sort of performances we know he is capable of doing.
      Injury to Sturridge will at least put him up front rather than wing back or even full back which he clearly dislikes.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2355: Mar 27, 2015 06:20:45 pm
      Maybe if Raheem was not being asked to play here there and everywhere he might be able to put in the sort of performances we know he is capable of doing.

exactly.  Funny how when Henderson is played on the right side of midfield and plays rubbish, everyone says "oh he's being played out of position, cut him some slack," but when Sterling, a direct, pacy attacker is played at wingback, and plays rubbish, everyone says "oh see he's not that good anyway."

Let him play through the middle now that Sturridge is out.  Coutinho behind him.  We'll see a different player.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2356: Mar 27, 2015 06:42:38 pm

Let him play through the middle now that Sturridge is out.  Coutinho behind him.  We'll see a different player.

Whereas is do agree with that I think there are other things to it as well, mainly he looks devoid of confidence currently, I can't think really of any reason that he is miscontrolling the ball so often.

I actually do agree that playing him all over the place won't be helping him currently while he is low in confidence though, I think he is good enough to play these roles but not as flexible as say Steven was  early on.. But probably due to his age, he is still learning the game at this level to an extent and to shunt him at this age from roles that are so polar opposite can't be helping.

Steven when he played right back for example, played it as a right back[ rather than a cm playing out of position I mean] and was superb at it, Raheem is playing wing back not sure if he should be a forward thinking wing back or a defensive one and is stuck between the two.. If you watch the Blackburn game for example he actually did some fantastic defensive tracking and a couple of vital last ditch challenges, but his management of the role right now isn't great, and probably nor should it.. He is an attacking player, someone who will always do his best work in the final third and more often than not for me centrally in that final third.

I'd certainly agree though that now he will be moved back up field then we will see a different player again. The confidence will probably be only a couple of flash things in the right area away

I do think though that when players play out of position, be that Raheem or Hendo or whoever then fans should take that into consideration when judging how they are doing
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2357: Mar 27, 2015 06:58:51 pm
      With the squad situation we should not need to play players in a position the player is not comfortable with.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2358: Mar 27, 2015 08:15:22 pm
      With the squad situation we should not need to play players in a position the player is not comfortable with.

That's a brilliant post.

Almost £100m spent last summer to improve the "squad" and we still have to play players out of position.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2359: Mar 27, 2015 08:58:43 pm
      That's a brilliant post.

Almost £100m spent last summer to improve the "squad" and we still have to play players out of position.
      Well we can always be play Borini, Lambert or Balo as striker if you'd rather?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2360: Mar 27, 2015 09:27:50 pm
      Well we can always be play Borini, Lambert or Balo as striker if you'd rather?

Well I don't see why we're in this position in the first place.

Also I wouldn't put Balotelli in the same category as the first two.  No way would I play Borini or Lambert as striker ahead of Sterling.

Balotelli though---I might.  Before he got injured he scored the winning goals in two consecutive games, worked hard etc.  He's not as useless as the other two.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2361: Mar 27, 2015 09:39:10 pm
      Well I don't see why we're in this position in the first place.

Also I wouldn't put Balotelli in the same category as the first two.  No way would I play Borini or Lambert as striker ahead of Sterling.

Balotelli though---I might.  Before he got injured he scored the winning goals in two consecutive games, worked hard etc.  He's not as useless as the other two.

Agreed. I'd like to see Balotelli given another year in all honesty. On the topic of Sterling, thought he was worthy of the man of the match tonight even if it was for England, great performance.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2362: Mar 27, 2015 09:39:24 pm
      Whilst I agree that Sterling hasn't been performing up to his usual standard lately, you can't be certain that Ibe will be better.

Ibe seems more grounded than Sterling. Who will be better? Nobody knows but IMO I would lean towards Ibe on the basis that he doesn't seem as though he will believe his own hype which, again IMO, Sterling looks as though sometimes he thinks he's the star man. But I don't think his agents help matters by demanding he be on so much money.

Sterling has the potential to become one of the best around and has plenty of time for him to earn mega bucks, at this stage in his career I don't think he has been around the first team or generally the top of football long enough to be on 150k, he certainly hasn't earnt that wage yet. You need to be playing as one of the best around week in week out to be on money like that.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #2363: Mar 27, 2015 10:39:10 pm
      Goal and assist for England today. I didnt see the game, but in general how well did he play?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2364: Mar 27, 2015 10:43:17 pm
      Agreed. I'd like to see Balotelli given another year in all honesty.

Mate putting aside whatever the club and Rodgers thinks about him---do you think Balotelli would want to stay another season?

It's hard to read him but it seems like he enjoys being part of the squad.  We hear all the time about how the club want rid, but I wonder if he actually wants to leave too or if he would be happy to stay.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2365: Mar 27, 2015 10:48:48 pm
      Agreed. I'd like to see Balotelli given another year in all honesty.

Another year to do F**k all earning £80k a week in the process?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2366: Mar 27, 2015 11:10:38 pm
      Another year to do f**k all earning £80k a week in the process?

He's far from the only one doing F**k all on high wages...

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2367: Mar 28, 2015 01:01:13 am
      Another year to do F**k all earning £80k a week in the process?

So he's the only one doing F**k all in our squad? He's not looked bad the last 4 or 5 times he's played. I'd rather have him than Lambert and Borini.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2368: Mar 28, 2015 01:12:56 am
      So he's the only one doing f**k all in our squad? He's not looked bad the last 4 or 5 times he's played. I'd rather have him than Lambert and Borini.

annoying isn't it.

apparently it's fine if *some* players do F**k all on high wages.  Just not Balotelli.

Quick Reply