Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Baseball regular season

Read 105446 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Baseball regular season
      Reply #621: Apr 04, 2013 06:04:10 pm
      Baseball season started this weekend... the A's lost their 9th consecutive opening day game, an American League record. They also lost badly in the 2nd game against the Mariners but finally won a game in the third time of trying last night. Jed Lowrie is looking great so far.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #622: Jul 23, 2013 11:57:52 pm
      Ah....Yet again another reason why Baseball is going down the tubes.  Ryan Braun...suspended for PED's.  The same guy who last year, failed a test and due to a clerical error, in which he ruined an innocent mans life, was reinstated and the positive test overturned, has failed ANOTHER drug test and has admitted he lied and used. Of course only after he ruined a lab techs life and did everything in his power to blame that poor lab technician and slam him in the press and in public.

These guys just lie and lie and lie and attack people who accuse them, then when the evidence is overwhelming....they admit what they did, then cry and ask for forgivness.  I dont think their is a word in the dictionary to define how much disgust and contempt I have for these players and Baseball.

When friends and family ask me "Why do you follow Liverpool?"..."Why do you watch European Football?"  I point to any number of instances that show how US Sport is going downhill and every year I am vindicated.  Baseball has been sh*t for years.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #623: Jul 31, 2013 06:16:35 pm
      ^ ^ ^

Add A-roid to that, could be facing a lifetime ban. So much for the HR record Alex. Couldn't happen to a bigger dirt-bag. 

Then compare to Derek Jeter, comes back from 3 month injury and first pitch back, BOOM, HR. So Jeteresque.  Easily best Yankee of his time. First ballot HOF. Without question.

What a difference in class between the two.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #624: Jul 31, 2013 08:41:32 pm
      As someone who only recently started to watch baseball, I can't say I've known the game before the PED scandals... so recent news do not affect as much as it probably does to guys like you two. However, it is a shame to see the discussion of such a beautiful game revolving around cheating, bans, and stuff like that - it's annoying and truly saddening.

I still think a greater debate over PEDs is necessary, I think the definition of a thing such as 'doping' is quite subjective and up for discussion. Anyway, it's undeniable that the ethics and the image of the game have been severely damage with all these scandals in recent years.

By the way, what do you guys think of Barry Bonds omission in the HOF?
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #625: Jul 31, 2013 10:11:17 pm
      As someone who only recently started to watch baseball, I can't say I've known the game before the PED scandals... so recent news do not affect as much as it probably does to guys like you two. However, it is a shame to see the discussion of such a beautiful game revolving around cheating, bans, and stuff like that - it's annoying and truly saddening.

I still think a greater debate over PEDs is necessary, I think the definition of a thing such as 'doping' is quite subjective and up for discussion. Anyway, it's undeniable that the ethics and the image of the game have been severely damage with all these scandals in recent years.

First off, Bonds should NOT be in HOF. Neither Mark McGuire or Sosa or any of those guys. Although MLB is just as responsible for this mess as the players are.

Here is my theory.  I'll try and be as brief as possible. Goes back to the strike of 1995. It was the FIRST time the World Series was not played in history of the sport. Hell they even played them during WW2.  MLB took a tremendous PR hit for this. Fans stayed away. MLB needed something to create a new interest in the game. 

Roger Maris had the single season HR record with 61. In 162 games. (also Mickey Mantle hit 54 that year, before some injuries late in the season) Babe Ruth had the record before , in 1927, I believe, with 60, but it was a 154 game schedule then. Lots of true MLB fans still believed Ruth was the HR king, as he did it in less games. MLB the put an asterix next to Maris' record. Kinda to appease both sides of the argument. A little off track here.

MLB believed that a similar HR chase to the record would increase popularity, and it did. In 1998 Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa both passed Maris record in the same season. If memory serves, Mark hit 70 and Sammy 68 that year. But the popularity of the race itself seemed to bring MLB back to the front page, as the NFL had and still has passed MLB in the States. 

I believe MLB knew exactly what was going on. It was no secret these guys were juicing. But the fans didn't really care, because it was exciting and the casual fan loved the fact that the game had become all offense. Personally , a well pitched 2-1 or 1-0 game is more exciting than a 8-7 game. But I'm more of a traditionalist. 

Now think about it, Ruth's record stood over from 1927-1961. Then Maris record stood from 1961-1998. We are talking decades. Then all of a sudden TWO guys break it in the same year, couldn't be coincidence. Then similar HR numbers continued to happen and Bonds hit 73. Now even casual fans started thinking, something's wrong here. Even guys that would avg 10-15 HR's a season were suddenly hitting 40-50. We all know training methods have improved since the 60's but this was ridiculous. 

Fact is MLB wanted this, it brought huge amounts of attention on the game, and attendance increased. They basically turned a blind eye to the whole situation because of the money they were making.

In a nutshell, MLB allowed, or even encouraged this to happen. For PROFIT. Then it just got so out of hand they had to step in and "appear" to put a stop to it. Even though, in reality , they were responsible for it. Kinda get what i'm sayin?

I think it is sad Diego, but I also believe that baseball in 2013 is closer to what it was supposed to be. So in that way, it's better. Old phrase "good pitching always beats good hitting" is back. It's getting back now to what it used to be like.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

If you get a chance, I know recently MLB has put dozens of full game broadcasts on U-Tube. Mostly World Series and playoffs. Going all the way back to the 1950's. 

Search under the MLBClassics channel.

This was always one of my favorites,I was at this game and the atmosphere was indescribable. Yankees win first WS in 18 years. The crowds are just not like this anymore. Maybe compare Anfield in the 70's and 80's to now.

1996 World Series, Game 6: Braves @ Yankees
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #626: Aug 01, 2013 01:31:54 am

If your really Interested in Baseball and its history, watch the Documentary "Baseball" by Ken Burns. It gives the complete history of the game and it shows why its considered the "National Pastime".  Plus its a GREAT documentary.

As to the PEDS debate, like Bronx said.... The HR chase between Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire in 1998, brought Baseball back from the 94/95 strike.  Sosa hit 66 and McGwire hit 70. But then people asked questions. You had a record when in the span of 78 years had one guy break it, then in the span of 3 seasons the original record was broken 6 times by 3 different players. The 3 players were also the size of an NFL linebacker.  One of the players, Barry Bonds DOUBLED his slugging % AFTER THE AGE OF 36 than his first 5 years of playing when he was 21-25.  That is unheard of.

You had players who were a mid 200 hitter for the first 12 years of their career, then they were hitting 350 in their mid to late 30's. Pitchers who had a 80 mph fastball were then throwing 98-100+ and racking up 20 win seasons and having crazy strike out totals.

Let me put it this way. It would be like David Beckham coming back to the EPL and scoring 25 goals a season over the next 5 seasons....You dont double and triple your performance at the end of your career.

As to A-Rod. He should be banned. He lied NUMEROUS times. He came clean a few years ago, got some sh*t for it then it was over. Now, he is lying AGAIN and has done some big time obstruction. Apparantly he destroyed documents and lied to investigators. Personally I think he is a scumbag. He thinks he is bigger than the game. If The Boss was still alive I bet A-Rod would of been traded years ago.  I hope he is banned so the Yanks can dump his contract and get some good players.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #627: Aug 05, 2013 12:25:20 am
      A-Rod looks like he is getting a 215 game suspension...He wont play until 2015.  Good. Maybe the Yanks can get a solid 3rd Baseman who WANTS to play for the Yankees and will actually hit the ball in the playoffs.

Cant stand A-Rod. Baseball would be so much better without him. Baseball is going down hill. Strikes, mega contracts, collective bargaing, sh*t owners, corporate sponsors, high ticket proces, PEDS....every time the game comes back and people fall in love with it again, Baseball finds a way to shoot itself in the foot.

If Baseball wants to come back they need to make some hard changes.  Stop expansion, fold the teams that make no money and have no fans in the seats. Cut the season from 164 games to 82. Create 2 leagues w/ relegation and promotion to make the games more meaningful.  Impose Salary caps and make standard contracts for no more than 4 years and cut salaries by 70%. GET RID OF THE DH!!! Monthly, mandatory drug screens for every player. Players get caught using drugs they get 2yr suspension no pay. 2nd offense Ban for life and void the contract and lose MLB pension. Its very easy to stop the drugs.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #628: Aug 08, 2013 04:16:07 pm
      I am going to my second Major League Baseball game tomorrow (first one was in May in Washington v Phillies) where get to see my Jays play Diego's A's in Toronto
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #629: Sep 21, 2013 02:26:50 pm
      Boston Red Sox have won their league/division, congrats FSG let's hope it's catching.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #630: Sep 21, 2013 09:13:03 pm
      Boston Red Sox have won their league/division, congrats FSG let's hope it's catching.

They won AL east, I knew they would have a better season than last year but was kinda of surprised that they were able to win the division. Lets see what kind of beard magic they will have going into the post season
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #631: Sep 24, 2013 04:47:19 pm
      Mariano Rivera   The best closer in baseball history , hangs it up after this season.  What a class act all around, on and off the field.  Past Sunday was his last game at Yankee Stadium.  True Yankee legend. 

The Sandman

Career Highlights:

Mariano Rivera Ultimate Career Highlights

Final day at the Stadium, with Metallica perform Enter Sandman Live.  Real classy

Mariano Rivera Farewell Tribute at Yankee Stadium 9/22/13

Exit Sandman , there will never be another.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #632: Sep 24, 2013 05:00:23 pm
      I watched that! Very fitting tribute to a legend of the game. It was only days after I watched Metallica at the Rock In Rio Festival as well ;D

Oh, by the way, just realized I never replied to these posts:

First off, Bonds should NOT be in HOF. Neither Mark McGuire or Sosa or any of those guys. Although MLB is just as responsible for this mess as the players are.

Here is my theory.  I'll try and be as brief as possible. Goes back to the strike of 1995. It was the FIRST time the World Series was not played in history of the sport. Hell they even played them during WW2.  MLB took a tremendous PR hit for this. Fans stayed away. MLB needed something to create a new interest in the game. 

Roger Maris had the single season HR record with 61. In 162 games. (also Mickey Mantle hit 54 that year, before some injuries late in the season) Babe Ruth had the record before , in 1927, I believe, with 60, but it was a 154 game schedule then. Lots of true MLB fans still believed Ruth was the HR king, as he did it in less games. MLB the put an asterix next to Maris' record. Kinda to appease both sides of the argument. A little off track here.

MLB believed that a similar HR chase to the record would increase popularity, and it did. In 1998 Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa both passed Maris record in the same season. If memory serves, Mark hit 70 and Sammy 68 that year. But the popularity of the race itself seemed to bring MLB back to the front page, as the NFL had and still has passed MLB in the States. 

I believe MLB knew exactly what was going on. It was no secret these guys were juicing. But the fans didn't really care, because it was exciting and the casual fan loved the fact that the game had become all offense. Personally , a well pitched 2-1 or 1-0 game is more exciting than a 8-7 game. But I'm more of a traditionalist. 

Now think about it, Ruth's record stood over from 1927-1961. Then Maris record stood from 1961-1998. We are talking decades. Then all of a sudden TWO guys break it in the same year, couldn't be coincidence. Then similar HR numbers continued to happen and Bonds hit 73. Now even casual fans started thinking, something's wrong here. Even guys that would avg 10-15 HR's a season were suddenly hitting 40-50. We all know training methods have improved since the 60's but this was ridiculous. 

Fact is MLB wanted this, it brought huge amounts of attention on the game, and attendance increased. They basically turned a blind eye to the whole situation because of the money they were making.

In a nutshell, MLB allowed, or even encouraged this to happen. For PROFIT. Then it just got so out of hand they had to step in and "appear" to put a stop to it. Even though, in reality , they were responsible for it. Kinda get what i'm sayin?

I think it is sad Diego, but I also believe that baseball in 2013 is closer to what it was supposed to be. So in that way, it's better. Old phrase "good pitching always beats good hitting" is back. It's getting back now to what it used to be like.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

If you get a chance, I know recently MLB has put dozens of full game broadcasts on U-Tube. Mostly World Series and playoffs. Going all the way back to the 1950's. 

Search under the MLBClassics channel.

This was always one of my favorites,I was at this game and the atmosphere was indescribable. Yankees win first WS in 18 years. The crowds are just not like this anymore. Maybe compare Anfield in the 70's and 80's to now.

1996 World Series, Game 6: Braves @ Yankees

If your really Interested in Baseball and its history, watch the Documentary "Baseball" by Ken Burns. It gives the complete history of the game and it shows why its considered the "National Pastime".  Plus its a GREAT documentary.

As to the PEDS debate, like Bronx said.... The HR chase between Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire in 1998, brought Baseball back from the 94/95 strike.  Sosa hit 66 and McGwire hit 70. But then people asked questions. You had a record when in the span of 78 years had one guy break it, then in the span of 3 seasons the original record was broken 6 times by 3 different players. The 3 players were also the size of an NFL linebacker.  One of the players, Barry Bonds DOUBLED his slugging % AFTER THE AGE OF 36 than his first 5 years of playing when he was 21-25.  That is unheard of.

You had players who were a mid 200 hitter for the first 12 years of their career, then they were hitting 350 in their mid to late 30's. Pitchers who had a 80 mph fastball were then throwing 98-100+ and racking up 20 win seasons and having crazy strike out totals.

Let me put it this way. It would be like David Beckham coming back to the EPL and scoring 25 goals a season over the next 5 seasons....You dont double and triple your performance at the end of your career.

As to A-Rod. He should be banned. He lied NUMEROUS times. He came clean a few years ago, got some sh*t for it then it was over. Now, he is lying AGAIN and has done some big time obstruction. Apparantly he destroyed documents and lied to investigators. Personally I think he is a scumbag. He thinks he is bigger than the game. If The Boss was still alive I bet A-Rod would of been traded years ago.  I hope he is banned so the Yanks can dump his contract and get some good players.

But I really enjoyed reading them when they were posted, thanks for your insights both of you :)
      As for the Ken Burns documentary, I found that for download some time ago but still haven't watched it. Will do when I have the time.

As for this season's results, my Oakland A's have won the AL West for the 2nd time in a row, my 2nd year following them! Guess I'm lucky.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #633: Oct 02, 2013 03:42:59 pm
      One thing to keep in mind when thinking about the home run race in 98 is that it was also when they introduced the new ball.  I didn't believe the hype about the juiced up ball until I saw Rey Ordonez (couldn't hit the ball out of his shadow) hit a home run, on a change up, off the end of his bat, to the opposite field.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #634: Oct 02, 2013 04:47:13 pm
      One thing to keep in mind when thinking about the home run race in 98 is that it was also when they introduced the new ball.  I didn't believe the hype about the juiced up ball until I saw Rey Ordonez (couldn't hit the ball out of his shadow) hit a home run, on a change up, off the end of his bat, to the opposite field.

Yeah, I was convinced something was wrong when Brady Anderson hit 50 in 1996 after hitting 16,12 and 13 the 3 previous years.  Bret Boone comes to mind too. 
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #635: Oct 02, 2013 04:51:50 pm
      And the Pirates win their first postseason game since 1992, good for them.

Oakland starts Friday, Diego. Good luck, I'll be pullin for them. Detroit has killed the Yanks recently.

Im still convinced you only became an A's fan because their the same color as Brasil.  HAHA
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #636: Oct 03, 2013 06:41:23 pm
      And the Pirates win their first postseason game since 1992, good for them.

Oakland starts Friday, Diego. Good luck, I'll be pullin for them. Detroit has killed the Yanks recently.

Im still convinced you only became an A's fan because their the same color as Brasil.  HAHA
      He probably has a secret soft spot for Norwich ;D... I'm happy for the many Bucs I know (even though most of them are also Penguin fans and drive me mental as far as hockey goes). 

As far as 96 goes.  It was actually a year that I remember very fondly.  I am and will always be a Met fan but that year I had gone to about 30 Yankee games.  Add in the Joe Torre, David Cone, Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry factor and it was enough to get a non yankee hating Met fan on board.  Plus I was dating a smoking hot chick who was a yankee fan.  I think I set a record one night getting to the deck on River ave. in 42 minutes from my house in North Brunswick (driving like a total asshole).  It takes me at least an hour and a half to drive to Citi Field (I hate the BQE).
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #637: Oct 11, 2013 01:17:09 pm

I think I set a record one night getting to the deck on River ave. in 42 minutes from my house in North Brunswick (driving like a total asshole).  It takes me at least an hour and a half to drive to Citi Field (I hate the BQE).

No record there  :D     I did Congers, NY to MSG in 30 minutes flat in a K5 Chevy Blazer, for a Ranger playoff game in 92'     Left at 7:30 , watched the puck drop at 8:07    There was even some sidewalk driving when I got downtown if I recall.  Youth , alcohol and hockey playoffs are baaaaad mix.  ;D

Verlander tossed a gem and Detroit gets by Oakland.   

So now we have   St Louis vs LA Dodgers and Boston vs Detroit in the LCS.

Gotta pull for the Dodgers here, my Dad is a huge Dodger fan from the Brooklyn days, think he was 11 when they left town. He hasn't seen them win in 25 years. That was the Hershiser 59 scoreless inning streak and that famous Kirk Gibson pinch hit HR , hobbling around the bases back in 88'  I remember when he hit it he hugged me so hard I thought my head was gonna pop off.

Kirk Gibson's game winning home run 1988 World Series

Vin Scully, Classic

Dodgers won the series in Game 5 in Oakland, and my Dad already had airline and game tickets lined up if it went back to LA for game 6 and 7.  Well he was happy enough they won in 5.  He's 67 now , and gotta feeling if the Dodgers make the WS there might be another trip on his mind. He's got that gleam in his eyes again.

Plus I'd love to see Donnie Baseball win one. He was my favorite player growin up in the 80's and I'll never forget the HR he hit at the stadium in 95' vs Seattle. If Yankee Stadium had a roof it would have blown off it was so loud. It was absolute bedlam.  I was in the last row of the right field bleachers and it looked like it he hit it right at me. Donnie's first and only playoff appearance after 1700+ games.  Still get goosebumps watching it.

1995 ALDS Gm2: Sierra, Mattingly go back-to-back
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #638: Oct 31, 2013 09:11:31 am
      So the Red Sox ditch 3 of their most expensive players after a flop season, sign a bunch of free agents - some of whom have "been there, done that" for less money than the 3 stars gone (article i read on cbs sports was saved $265m in salary cap, and spent $160m)

year later, against all the odds, led my a player towards the end of glorious career, they unexpectedly win the big one.

Couldnt happen here... could it ?
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #639: Oct 31, 2013 01:17:37 pm
      Boston celebrates World Series win
      Updated: October 31, 2013, 8:52 AM ET
      ESPN.com news services

BOSTON -- The Red Sox now have won three World Series in the past decade -- but not since the days of Babe Ruth had Boston won a Fall Classic in its beloved Fenway Park.

The historic victory sent Boston fans spilling into the streets Wednesday night to celebrate Boston's 6-1 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 6. Amid the cheers and high-fives, the white lights of Boston's Prudential Tower read, "GO SOX."

"Words cannot describe how I feel," Red Sox fan Sam D'Arrigo said. "This is what being a Boston fan is all about."

The win capped an emotional season for the Red Sox, one heavy with the reminder of the Boston Marathon bombings in April, which left three people dead and more than 260 wounded. Players wore "Boston Strong" logos on their left sleeves, and a giant "B Strong" logo was mowed into Fenway's outfield.

"We needed this," said Mark Porcaro of Boston. "They were an easy team to get behind because they stood up for us when we needed them most."

An excited Boston Mayor Tom Menino tweeted: "Get the ducks ready, we're having a parade." He was referring to the duck boat parades the city has had during previous sports celebrations.

Red Sox owner John Henry said after the game that the parade will take place Saturday.

After the game, police set up barriers to funnel the crowds away from Fenway Park, and mounted police and officers on bicycles patrolled the area. Some fans were obviously intoxicated. A few young men climbed a pole holding a traffic light.

A large group gathered near the marathon finish line, chanting and blocking traffic until police arrived.

Police said on Twitter that they'd arrested nine people for unruly behavior. Throughout the night, the department had tweeted cautionary messages, encouraging fans to "Celebrate with pride" and "Celebrate responsibly." Police later thanked the "tens of thousands" of Red Sox fans who took their warnings seriously.

In New Hampshire, celebrations turned destructive at several college campuses. In the largest incident, University of New Hampshire officials say police used pepper spray and pepper balls to break up a crowd of several hundred students that had gathered at the Durham campus. Officials said some of the students threw glass bottles at officers.

Boston has hosted several celebrations over the past decade, as the Celtics, Patriots, Bruins and Red Sox have all won titles since 2004, but some of the post-championship partying has caused problems. In 2004, a 21-year-old college student was killed by a pepper pellet fired by Boston police during crowd-control efforts following the Red Sox win in the American League Championship Series. In 2008, a 22-year-old man died after police took him into custody during street celebrations of the Celtics' title.

In St. Louis, fans were disappointed that the Cardinals lost.

Ed Moreland watched the game while cleaning offices at a downtown bank building.

"We had a good team. We fought for it," he said. "Boston was just a bit stronger."

At The Dubliner, an Irish pub near the St. Louis Convention Center, bartender David Fitzgibbons suggested that collective excitement in the city dissipated after a 3-1 loss in Game 5 that left the Cardinals needing a two-game sweep in Boston to prevail.

"I don't think people's expectations were that high," he said.

Wednesday's game was a triumphant end to a hectic day in Boston -- hours before the game, President Barack Obama delivered a talk at Boston's historic Faneuil Hall on his embattled heath care reform.

With the World Series and a presidential visit, police were on high alert. The marathon bombing prompted the deployment of extra dogs and undercover officers.

For the citizens of Red Sox Nation, the extra security, the traffic and the closed streets were a small price to pay for baseball glory.

"Since 1918, no one has experienced this," said Russ Stappen of Rockland, Mass., who shelled out several hundred dollars for his ticket. "There's nowhere else I'd rather be."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9905823/2013-world-series-red-sox-fans-pour-streets-boston-celebrate
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #640: Oct 31, 2013 01:30:59 pm
      I was so pissed off about the A's losing to the Tigers on Game 5 AGAIN that I didn't even feel like coming here to talk about it. But hey, it's been a few weeks since that, I loved seeing Tigers fail again, so my anger has diminished a little...

I don't really like the Red Sox very much to be honest, but I'm a David Ortiz fan and also like some of their players, especially former A's Jonny Gomes and Stephen Drew, so I was happy to see them winning the World Series again.

As for the Cardinals, I'll always have a special place for them in my heart, for it was their World Series win 2 years ago (the unbelievable Game 6 in particular) that convinced me that baseball is a great sport to watch.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #641: Sep 25, 2014 08:22:14 pm
      The last great Yankee plays his final game in the Bronx tonight.

Derek Jeter Celebrated by Tip-of-the-Hat Nike Ad

Gatorade - Made in New York - Derek Jeter

Thanks for the memories 

Derek Jeter ... #2 forever
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #642: Sep 25, 2014 08:30:17 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #643: Oct 01, 2014 05:27:39 pm
      Baseball is cruel :(

A's @ Royals was one of the best games I've ever watched, but in a mean, cruel, soul crushing way. :(

Quick Reply