Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Martin Broughton - new chairman.

Read 23290 times
      Cardy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Re: We'll give Rafa Benitez cash to splash says new Liverpool chief Martin Broughton
      Reply #46: Apr 17, 2010 09:07:43 pm
      If Rafa does get significant funds he must do better in the transfer market than he has done in the past , the big money buys he has got right its the middle order money signings where he has struggled and also the turnaround of players has to stop .
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: We'll give Rafa Benitez cash to splash says new Liverpool chief Martin Broughton
      Reply #47: Apr 17, 2010 09:15:37 pm
      If Rafa does get significant funds he must do better in the transfer market than he has done in the past , the big money buys he has got right its the middle order money signings where he has struggled and also the turnaround of players has to stop .

Who's fault is it that he has had to make so many middle order signings? And plenty of those middle-order signings have been quality as well.
      Cardy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #48: Apr 17, 2010 09:20:07 pm
      Where are they then ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #49: Apr 17, 2010 09:27:54 pm

One fu**ed off back to Spain in the summer, Arbeloa!! Luis Garcia wasn't a bad buy either, Momo did alright until that injury in Portugal. Even though we regard Pepe as a quality signing, he was only bought for about £6 million.

The Greek has done a job this season and Rodriguez has started to fit into the team recently and neither were big money buys.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #50: Apr 17, 2010 09:31:56 pm

Add to HR, Alonso was cheap in comparison to his now huge rep and the amount we gained on him. Yossi was only 5m, Agger, Skrtel (despite this season, i think he is quality)

In comparison to some of the huge fees being paid now, we have made some very good but shrewd buys in the last few years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #51: Apr 17, 2010 09:34:40 pm
      Add to HR, Alonso was cheap in comparison to his now huge rep and the amount we gained on him. Yossi was only 5m, Agger, Skrtel (despite this season, i think he is quality)

In comparison to some of the huge fees being paid now, we have made some very good but shrewd buys in the last few years.

Good thinking Big Van Vader ;)

Was scratching my head for a second then and forgot about the other three. Imo Alonso was seen as his big money buy in his first season, even though I understand what you're saying.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: We'll give Rafa Benitez cash to splash says new Liverpool chief Martin Broug
      Reply #52: Apr 17, 2010 09:38:19 pm
      Good thinking Big Van Vader ;)

Was scratching my head for a second then and forgot about the other three. Imo Alonso was seen as his big money buy in his first season, even though I understand what you're saying.

Yeah, Alonso is kinda borderline there - but i threw him in still ;) Considering he was a bit of a no-body that became great, was a good deal IMO. Though, he did have his average times as well.

Lets not forget either that Rafa has tried signing some other quality players and been scuppered by either Parry, or other clubs coming in with bigger wallets.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #53: Apr 17, 2010 09:39:38 pm

The turn around of players has been brought about by the sell to buy policy he works under, bearing in mind he has totally revamped the full squad leaving only Gerrard and Carragher from the squad he originally inherited from Houllier all that for a net spend of 70 odd million over 6 years.

Would I trust Rafa with 100 million ?, F**k aye, it's not my money ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #54: Apr 17, 2010 09:41:02 pm
      Yeah, Alonso is kinda borderline there - but i threw him in still ;) Considering he was a bit of a no-body that became great, was a good deal IMO. Though, he did have his average times as well.

The pedantic in me has to respond and say he was never a nobody at that point in his career, Madrid were aware of Xabi even then, remember watching him a few times for Sociedad the season before, wishing we could buy him.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #55: Apr 17, 2010 09:52:20 pm
      The pedantic in me has to respond and say he was never a nobody at that point in his career, Madrid were aware of Xabi even then, remember watching him a few times for Sociedad the season before, wishing we could buy him.

The biased c**t in me has to say nobody is anybody until they have played for Liverpool ;)

Good point though, I never knew much about him before us anyways but I had little knowledge of anything but English footy at that stage.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #56: Apr 17, 2010 10:19:30 pm
      I haven't heard much of Xabi before he came here but I was aware teams were after him but he signed for us. Alonso was a real bargain at 10.5 million considering other teams paid big bucks for a player of similar position. And I think in our whole history, we've only spent 20 million on three players - Torres, Aquilani and Keane, whereas other teams are spend that amount or even more on many players.

In Rafa's reign so far, he's only able to buy one "quality" player at the time and as we know for us, signing one quality player isn't preferable due to the lack in squad depth. That's probably one reason why Rafa's had to sign 2-4 average/above average players instead.

However, back to the topic. I've heard these lines before and I'll only believe it when I see it.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      10 Facts on Martin Broughton
      Reply #57: Apr 18, 2010 01:07:48 pm
      It's a sign of the chaos at Liverpool that the appointment of a Chelsea fan as chairman is seen as a good result.

After a long career with BAT, BA and the CBI, Broughton has joined LFC to sell the club for American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Here's what you need to know about him...

1) Broughton, who celebrated his 63rd birthday two days before becoming chairman at Anfield, has been a Chelsea supporter for 56 years.

2) The businessman was born in Fulham but claims Stamford Bridge "was marginally shorter walking distance" than Craven Cottage from the family home, where his disabled dad repaired bus and car seats for a living. The family missed TV coverage of Chelsea's 1965 League Cup win because they didn't own a TV set until young Martin was nearly 20.

3) Broughton's no-frills upbringing probably explains why he he and his twin brother prefer to have their season tickets in the Matthew Harding Stand than in Chelsea's plush executive boxes.

4) The BA chairman sought an early end to talk of a strike last Christmas because he wanted to be free to watch Chelsea against Portsmouth on December 16. In the end, however, the industrial action was only called off after he won a court injunction on December 17.

5) He laughs off the idea that a Chelsea supporter can't run Liverpool. He said: "Yes, I am a Chelsea fan, but first and foremost I am a very keen football fan. Football is a passion. Liverpool is an institution, it's been a great club, it needs to be a greeat club and that's what I'm committed to."

6) Broughton began work at a small accountancy firm in 1965 and might have stayed there but says he became determined to succeed in business after hearing a park football team-mate talk about his new job as a jet-setting executive with Coca Cola. He joined top accountancy firm Peat Marwick in 1970, went to British American Tobacco as an auditor a year later and became chief executive of the fags firm in 1993. He joined British Airways as chairman in 2004 and was president of businessman's lobby group the CBI in 2007.

7)/b> His business career has been marked by controversy. While at BAT Broughton caused a stir when he claimed that he would never like to see his two children smoking, and became embroiled in a row at BA when the company banned an airport worker from wearing a crucifix.

8) After the launch of BA's new Terminal 5 at Heathrow was beset by technical problems in 2008, Broughton refused to give embattled chief executive Willie Walsh a vote of confidence, saying: "Willie and I are both keen soccer fans. We are both aware that the chairman's vote of confidence is often the last act before the manager goes."

9) Despite his love for football, Broughton has a passion for National Hunt horseracing. He's a regular at tracks around the country, owns eight horses and was chairman of the British Horseracing Board between 2004 and 2007. He says his biggest gaffe is failing to buy Best Mate early in the Cheltenham Gold Cup hat-trick hero's racing career.

10) Broughton says a chairman should be like a good referee: It's when you don't notice him, but everything around him works well, then you say 'great game'."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Martin-Broughton-Ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-Liverpool-FC-chairman-article393955.html
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2010 01:18:41 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Half of fact number ten was missing. ;) »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Re: 10 Facts on Martin Broughton
      Reply #58: Apr 18, 2010 01:11:23 pm
      It's a sign of the chaos at Liverpool that the appointment of a Chelsea fan as chairman is seen as a good result.

After a long career with BAT, BA and the CBI, Broughton has joined LFC to sell the club for American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Here's what you need to know about him...

1) Broughton, who celebrated his 63rd birthday two days before becoming chairman at Anfield, has been a Chelsea supporter for 56 years.

2) The businessman was born in Fulham but claims Stamford Bridge "was marginally shorter walking distance" than Craven Cottage from the family home, where his disabled dad repaired bus and car seats for a living. The family missed TV coverage of Chelsea's 1965 League Cup win because they didn't own a TV set until young Martin was nearly 20.

3) Broughton's no-frills upbringing probably explains why he he and his twin brother prefer to have their season tickets in the Matthew Harding Stand than in Chelsea's plush executive boxes.

4) The BA chairman sought an early end to talk of a strike last Christmas because he wanted to be free to watch Chelsea against Portsmouth on December 16. In the end, however, the industrial action was only called off after he won a court injunction on December 17.

5) He laughs off the idea that a Chelsea supporter can't run Liverpool. He said: "Yes, I am a Chelsea fan, but first and foremost I am a very keen football fan. Football is a passion. Liverpool is an institution, it's been a great club, it needs to be a greeat club and that's what I'm committed to."

6) Broughton began work at a small accountancy firm in 1965 and might have stayed there but says he became determined to succeed in business after hearing a park football team-mate talk about his new job as a jet-setting executive with Coca Cola. He joined top accountancy firm Peat Marwick in 1970, went to British American Tobacco as an auditor a year later and became chief executive of the fags firm in 1993. He joined British Airways as chairman in 2004 and was president of businessman's lobby group the CBI in 2007.

7)/b> His business career has been marked by controversy. While at BAT Broughton caused a stir when he claimed that he would never like to see his two children smoking, and became embroiled in a row at BA when the company banned an airport worker from wearing a crucifix.

8) After the launch of BA's new Terminal 5 at Heathrow was beset by technical problems in 2008, Broughton refused to give embattled chief executive Willie Walsh a vote of confidence, saying: "Willie and I are both keen soccer fans. We are both aware that the chairman's vote of confidence is often the last act before the manager goes."

9) Despite his love for football, Broughton has a passion for National Hunt horseracing. He's a regular at tracks around the country, owns eight horses and was chairman of the British Horseracing Board between 2004 and 2007. He says his biggest gaffe is failing to buy Best Mate early in the Cheltenham Gold Cup hat-trick hero's racing career.

10) Broughton says a chairman should be like a good referee: "It's when you don't

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Martin-Broughton-Ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-Liverpool-FC-chairman-article393955.html

First question to our new chairman on point no 2 - So Mr Broughton can you tell us who beat Chelsea in the semi's of the 1965 Fa Cup competition? ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Martin Broughton - new chairman?
      Reply #59: Apr 18, 2010 09:57:56 pm
      First question to our new chairman on point no 2 - So Mr Broughton can you tell us who beat Chelsea in the semi's of the 1965 Fa Cup competition? ;)
      Off topic I know but the answer is Liverpool and it was at Villa Park.I know because I was there.I also think that Broughton has been brought in as a diversion to take the heat off Hicks and Gillett.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #60: Apr 19, 2010 05:23:31 pm
      Where did I hear all this before? Mr. Broughton please dont try bullsh*t us. Hopefully hes not.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #61: Apr 19, 2010 05:28:14 pm
      Didn't Hicks say we were going to have a big summer in the transfer market a few weeks ago shows what a lying tw*t he is, I won't believe anything about spending money on players till he is gone.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: Apr 19, 2010 05:31:55 pm
      Didn't Hicks say we were going to have a big summer in the transfer market a few weeks ago shows what a lying tw*t he is, I won't believe anything about spending money on players till he is gone.

Yeah he did mate but he didn't say we would be "buying" big.  He was doing his usual - tell us what we want to hear and hope we don't read between the lines.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #63: Apr 19, 2010 09:55:08 pm
      How about going for this new Brazilian sensation 'Neymar'?
      I know it's a big risk, but if it comes off then he could be the next world superstar - plays for Santos as well, who we bought Lucas from, so there should be a relationship between the 2 clubs....
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #64: Apr 19, 2010 11:21:51 pm
      I know it's a big risk, but if it comes off then he could be the next world superstar - plays for Santos as well, who we bought Lucas from, so there should be a relationship between the 2 clubs....

How much would he be? If it is a low risk, high reward then yeah.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #65: Apr 19, 2010 11:31:00 pm
      Think we got Lucas from Gremio. However, from what I've heard Neymar is meant to be the dogs bollocks. However, can we afford to make risky signings if we get money this window? Never know when we will get money again, so gotta spend wisely!!
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #66: Apr 20, 2010 01:08:26 am
      Think we got Lucas from Gremio. However, from what I've heard Neymar is meant to be the dogs bollocks. However, can we afford to make risky signings if we get money this window? Never know when we will get money again, so gotta spend wisely!!

where the f**k did I get Santos from? :-[
      Anyway I think it's unlikely we'll have the funds as the fee is supposedly already through the roof - just frustrating to have been linked to Aguero and Pato in the past and have missed out...
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2010 01:13:51 am by Henrik577 »
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #67: Apr 20, 2010 01:11:36 am
      This Martin Broughton character is making all the right noises, the video interview on SkySports says 'months' for a deal to be wrapped up.

I like the cut of his jib.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #68: Apr 20, 2010 01:22:13 am

He's f***in amazing. I hope Dunga takes him to the World Cup to gain experience and be used as a surprise factor during the games, but Dunga insists in saying no one should expect surprises from him. And considering Neymar never played for Brazil yet, it probably means he's not going to South Africa.

Robinho went back to Santos in January but he's been completely outshone by Neymar and Ganso (attacking mid, only 20). Actually at the age of 18, Neymar looks a far better player than Robinho was with the same age. Santos are the most exciting team in Brazil at the moment, if I'm not mistaken they've scored 8+ goals in 3 matches in 2010. It's only the state championship so far and the league only starts in May, but they've been absolutely brilliant.

Quick Reply