Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Rodolfo Borrell and The Liverpool Philosophy

Read 18969 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Rodolfo Borrell and The Liverpool Philosophy
      Reply #23: Apr 27, 2010 05:43:24 pm
      He's had 6 years to build foundations
      Also the "ravaged by injury" concept is a fallacy - our injuries have been no worse than those around us

He's had just over 12 months, when he signed his new contract last March, to build foundations not 6 years, and the only players not to have been out injured this season are Reina, Lucas and until last week Kuyt and Insua.  Not only have 1st team players been out but their replacements have also been injured.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Apr 27, 2010 08:15:10 pm
      Off the top of my head
      Rooney, Rio, Vidic, VDS, Brown, Hardgreaves, Giggs, Owen
      Essien, A.Cole, J.Cole, Bosingwa, carvalho
      Van Persie, Fabregas, Gallas, Varmelen, Ramsey, Eduardo, Rosicky, Arshavin, Diaby, Walcott
      (Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Aqui, Torres, Aurelli0.....

Are you thinking that all the players you have mentioned for the other teams are key?

Hargreaves has always been a bit part player and never had an impact at United, Owen has hardly played a game for them and when he did it was off the bench, Brown was never first choice and Giggs is on the bench more and more.

Ramsey, Eduardo, Walcott, Diaby and Rosicky have never been viewed as key players at Arsenal.

Bosingwa and Carvalho have both been dropped more times than they would have liked due to the form of Alex and Ivanovic.

If you are trying to suggest they have had it as rough as us regarding injuries then you are deluded because we had 11 players out at one stage and have always had our best players in each position out as a different key player comes back. We even had Pepe take an injury to his shoulder but luckily he was able to carry on through it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Apr 27, 2010 09:41:28 pm
      Rodolfo Borrell remembers the exact date when Cesc Fabregas made his debut at the Barcelona academy.

It was 11 November, 1997 and the future Arsenal captain was 10 years old.

Borrell is no statistical anorak; the occasion is etched in his memory because discovering Fabregas was the reward for hours and hours spent scouring local youth clubs for youngsters worthy of the famous blue and red shirt.

Fabregas had been playing for Mataro, a team based 35km north of Barcelona, but it was not until Borrell's third visit to the club that he unearthed his diamond.

"I went to see them play again and suddenly I saw this one player who was simply wonderful," recalls Borrell.

"They told me he was called Cesc Fabregas and he was one year younger than the rest. He was good at running with the ball, had a fantastic pass over short, medium and long distances.

"He was very mature for his age and had all the attributes we were looking for at Barcelona at that time.

"At half-time, I asked the coach why I had not seen this kid before. He admitted that, when he saw me coming, he had decided not to play him because he knew that if I saw him I would take him."

A deal was reached whereby Fabregas would play out the season with his club before joining the Barcelona academy at La Masia - a converted farm where the boys are housed and schooled in the philosophy of the Catalan giants, whose motto proclaims the importance of the team to its region: "Mes que un club" - More than a club.

The young Fabregas continued to live at home and go to school, but spent the rest of his time at La Masia, training, eating and studying at the famous institution which produced seven of the Barcelona side who won the treble of La Liga, Spanish Cup and Champions League last season.

Among his peers were current Barcelona centre-back Gerard Pique and a certain Lionel Messi, who was signed from Newell's Old Boys in Argentina as a 13-year-old and played with Fabregas for Borrell's under-14s.

The duo will come face to face again when Arsenal take on Barcelona in the quarter-finals of the Champions League on Wednesday night.

Borrell, who spent 13 years at Barcelona and now coaches Liverpool under-18s, remembers Messi as a youngster of immense skill, but he is staggered by the progress of a player who has 25 league goals in as many games this season and is widely regarded as the natural successor to Argentina legend Diego Maradona.

"Nobody can predict that a lad of 13 years old will become a superstar," says Borrell.

"Yes, he had a lot of things but he had a long way to go. A lot of people talk about his talent, but I can add that he's a big talent with a big mentality. He was hungry for football. He would finish one training session and be dying to train the next day."

With the likes of Messi on a fast track to the first team, and fellow midfielders Xavi and Andres Iniesta starting to establish themselves, Fabregas sensed his opportunities would be limited at Barca and decided to take up the offer of a professional contract at Arsenal.

Having become the London side's youngest ever first-team player at 16 years, 177 days, Fabregas has since developed into one of the world's most complete midfielders.

For Barca and their fans, he is the one who got away, and the club have made no secret of their desire to get him back.

Before the start of this season, Fabregas was asked about re-joining Barcelona and expressed his commitment to the Gunners. But there was one significant proviso. If Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola were to call him personally "it would be different".

As a player, Guardiola was very much the prototype of the modern Spanish midfielder: technically-gifted, balanced and an immaculate passer of the ball.

He was at the heart of Johan Cruyff's all-conquering Barca side in the 1990s and was idolised by the young Fabregas as he made his way through the academy ranks.

Borrell, who has remained a friend and confidante to Fabregas, tells a story that encapsulates the connection between the Arsenal star and his one-time hero.

In 2001, when Fabregas was going through the pain of his parents' divorce, Borrell persuaded Guardiola to sign his famous number four shirt for the young protege. On it, he wrote "One day, you will be the number four of Barcelona".

"I called him into my room and explained that I was aware of what was happening in his family," recalls Borrell. "He started to cry, so I showed him the famous shirt. You can imagine the reaction. His idol has written a message for him on his shirt. It was a fantastic moment."

Speculation over Fabregas's return to Barcelona is likely to intensify this summer when he is expected to be used as a pawn in the club's presidential elections.

Candidate Sandro Rosell promises to use his close links to the Fabregas family to entice the Arsenal star back to the club.

But the decision, it seems, lies entirely with the player.

On the one hand, there is the chance to play in what is emerging as one of the greatest club sides in history, to be reunited with the stupendous Messi, and to be managed by his idol.

On the other hand, he has the chance to finish what he has started at Arsenal, as the leader of Wenger's potentially irresistible young side, now chasing a first trophy since 2005.

"He is in a great club, with a great coach and fantastic team-mates who play fantastic football in a nice city where the people adore him," says Borrell.

"But I think everybody wants to go home one day, and at the kind of level Barca are playing at the moment he must be tempted. Everybody in Barcelona is expecting him to arrive soon but this doesn't mean he will go."

Borrell predicts an open game at the Emirates, with both sides scoring at least twice, but expects Barca's superior quality to shine through at the Nou Camp.

And if Barca do win comfortably, could the pull towards his boyhood club become overwhelming for Fabregas?

"He's a professional and he will only be thinking to do the best for his team, to make his team win," says Borrell.

"I don't think the result will affect his decision. He loves the club who pushed him so quickly to the top level and he's always giving his maximum for the team."

In an attempt to steer this back on topic.
      Here's Rodolfo remembering one of his best finds
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Jan 21, 2011 12:14:31 pm
      Kenny, Messi and Ballon d'Or

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-messi-and-ballon-d-or

21st Jan 2011 - Latest News
      17 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      In the latest column from the Academy, U18s coach Rodolfo Borrell discusses Kenny, Messi and the Ballon d'Or...

I have to say I have been completely overwhelmed by the wave of positivity that Kenny Dalglish's return to the Liverpool dugout has created.

There is a real feel-good factor reverberating around every corner of the club at the moment and it says a lot about the presence of the man.

It is no secret that Kenny is a legend for what he has achieved at this club and I have huge respect for him. That's not just down to his outstanding record of success. It is also because of what he has done for me on a personal level since I arrived here.

When I moved to England he was of great support to me and always looked to help with the biggest humility. He was the Academy's ambassador for a season and a half and I am delighted that he has been able to realise his dream of returning as the manager of the first team.

I am really happy that we have a boss who knows about the very fabric of this football club. He won countless trophies and is one of the greatest players in our history - that instantly commands respect from players, staff, supporters and everyone associated with Liverpool FC.

At his Anfield homecoming last Sunday I made sure I got to the ground early. I knew it was going to be a special day and I wanted to savour the atmosphere. I didn't want to miss one second of the reception Kenny was about to enjoy. I understood that it would be a moment I would never forget.

I wasn't disappointed either. I don't think there are a group of supporters in the world that are as passionate about their club as ours are. I have never experienced anything like Anfield. The fans are so supportive even when the team is not playing as well as they would hope.

Every time I attend a home game the fans are unbelievable because their loyal support is unwavering. That is the difference between Liverpool and all of the other clubs around the world.

You could never question the backing of that crowd. The fans are quite simply Liverpool's gold. It is occasions such as the Everton game that make me so proud to be able to say I work for this club.

In Spain you would not have a crowd so eager to assist when things do not run smoothly. That is why I try to explain to the people sitting around me that this support is not normal - it is special.

As for Kenny, well returning to the hot-seat has not changed him one bit.

He has been in charge less than two weeks and I have seen him here on at least three separate occasions.

On Tuesday he even found time to sit  beside me on the bench for our U17 friendly with Shrewsbury. That's almost unheard of nowadays but it isn't anything new here. You must remember he's been doing that sort of thing since returning to the club.

Our admiration has not changed now he is the main man. We have always felt this way about him.

I am a young coach looking to improve all of the time and to be able to tap into Kenny's knowledge is invaluable. I have much to learn.

I am always striving to improve and it is massive for me to be able to call on Kenny for advice from time to time. I am very lucky to have had his support from day one, even though he may not have known how good a coach I was. I will always appreciate that.

I was also very pleased to learn that Kenny was taking some of our players for a week of training at Melwood. That is a massive step for them but it is also just as important that we keep their feet on the ground. We must choose the right individuals to go there and I think Kenny has done that.

Suso is a great talent and Conor Coady is the captain of our U18s. They both deserve their chance to train with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

When they return to us, it will be our job to ensure they understand that they must work just as hard so that one day they go to Melwood permanently.

The rest of the lads had been looking forward to Saturday's mini-derby at Everton, but unfortunately that has been postponed due to their involvement in the Youth Cup. It means we have a spare weekend which is something we do not need after the weather forced us to cancel so many games before Christmas.

With that in mind, we sought out another friendly that we played on Thursday morning.

I wanted the lads to face a real test. They have all enjoyed the good publicity following the Youth Cup wins over Notts County and Crystal Palace, as well as last week's 3-1 victory over Bolton. So, we set up a match against Accrington Stanley. They brought a mix of first-team and reserve players but unfortunately we had to settle for an eight-a-side indoor match because of the fog.

We lost the game 6-3 but I was delighted with the exercise. I think the players learn much more in this type of clash. They were physically strong and it proved to be really difficult for our lads. I wanted them to experience the problems that posed and to understand that they are far from the finished product. I think such a test will be just as beneficial as playing well and winning at Anfield in the Youth Cup. It's all about experiencing the highs and lows of football and controlling your emotions.

Finally, I would like to take a moment to congratulate Lionel Messi on his recent Ballon d'Or success.

Having coached him at a tender age I was obviously very proud to see him win and that he was on the shortlist alongside two other products of Barcelona's youth system.

I also worked with the runner-up, Andres Iniesta. Xavi had progressed by the time I arrived at the Barcelona Academy but the nominations once again highlight the great success they have had with their youth system.

It is not just down to their talent as players. It is also thanks to the hard work carried out by a lot of people who are striving towards the same goal. The result is that these world-class players are now key to the triumphs of their first team.

We are hoping to have a similar success here at Liverpool in the years ahead. Like I said in my last column, it is not about copying Barcelona. If we can nurture young players that go on to have a huge impact on our history then we will be seeing the end result of everybody's hard work.

I now feel we are all working as one at this club and we are seeing some good progress here in Kirkby. Who knows, maybe one day we will see three players who came through Liverpool's ranks up for the Ballon d'Or.

Of course, that is very much a distant dream but I can assure you that we remain 100 per cent committed to ensuring the best talent in the English game emerges here in Kirkby.

Rodolfo was speaking to Paul Hassall
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #27: Jan 21, 2011 12:27:49 pm
      I don't want to heap pressure on the young lad but could Suso be our Fabregas? Rodolfo has a brilliant record, as a coach with a good eye for a player, it's a pity he doesn't work very close with Suso.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #28: Jan 21, 2011 02:48:19 pm
       I believe employing Rodolfo will turn out to be the best thing that Rafa did for LFC, this is taking into account Nando and Istanbul
       In the long run this man could be far more important than king Kenny ?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #29: Jan 21, 2011 02:48:31 pm
      I have lot of respect and admiration for Borrell. Not just because of his exemplary record at Barca but also for the way he speaks about this club. He seems to understand it in a way that Roy Hodgson certainly never did.

We're hoping for some Ballon d'Or players too Rodolfo! Three will do.... ;)
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #30: Jan 21, 2011 02:55:37 pm
      I have lot of respect and admiration for Borrell.

Me too. He's doing a fantastic job with the Academy and the way he conducts himself is very impressive as well.

We're going to be reaping the rewards very soon and i, for one, cannot wait.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Jan 21, 2011 07:52:30 pm
      Excellent man. Really admire him too.

Keep up the brilliant work, Rodolfo and of course his whole team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: May 27, 2011 10:52:42 am
      'It's an honour to follow greats'
      27th May 2011 - Latest News
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/it-s-an-honour-to-follow-greats
      Rodolfo Borrell has revealed his great pride at following in the footsteps of some of Liverpool's greatest ever names after he was confirmed as the new reserve team coach earlier this week.

The Spaniard was promoted from his role as U18 coach in an end of season revamp at the club's Academy and admits he was humbled when he learned that some of the Reds' finest managers had cut their teeth in the dugout while with the second-string.

The former Barcelona man also spoke about his plans for pre-season, his hopes for the newly-formed U19 Champions League as well as his relationship with Kenny Dalglish.

Here he gives Liverpoolfc.tv his first interview as the newly-installed reserve team coach.

Rodolfo, this week you've been confirmed as Liverpool's new reserve team coach, congratulations, you must be delighted...

It's a great honour for me to be the reserve team manager. The club have shown they have great confidence in my ability and I am happy. It is a job that means my name will sit forever alongside the likes of Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Roy Evans, Phil Thompson and Sammy Lee. They are big names in Liverpool's history and it is also an important role because it is the final step in the Academy. The players need to be ready if they are to make the move into the first-team set-up and I am going to fight for that.

The fans have given the news a big thumbs up, how important is that to you personally?

I always say the same about the fans. Without them Liverpool wouldn't be the club it is. The fans are everything to me and they are very special, backing everyone at the club in good and bad moments. If they have received this news as positive then that is massive for me. I am thankful that they respect me as a person, my ability in my job and especially for the way they have come to Kirkby to watch the U18 games. I will work hard to make them come to more games in the future.

You'll be working even more closely with Frank McParland now - just how important has he been in the Academy's improvement over the past two years?

Frank McParland is my director and we are constantly talking about players, the squad and different situations that arise throughout the season. He is a great support to me and I am certain it will be the same again next season.

Have you spoken to Kenny Dalglish about your new role and do you expect to have more input from him now?

I cannot complain about the input of Kenny. One of the big things about him is that he hasn't changed since he became first-team manager. He was at the Academy 18 months before he took charge and he still comes to see us regularly now. It's impossible for him to be here every day like he was when he was based here but he still comes here every week. His input on matters is continual and I go to Melwood more regularly than I used to. We talk about all kinds of things, even the first-team. He sometimes asks my opinion and I will comment. I have to be very thankful to him because without his support it would have been very difficult for me to get the job as reserve team boss. I am very pleased to be working with him and I will make sure I work even harder to help him so that the players can make this last step and be ready for the first-team.

You've coached throughout most age groups at youth team level. Do you feel that gives you the perfect grounding to take on your new role?

I have always believed I should coach all of the age groups and go step by step. This has been important as it has helped me to get a big knowledge about the whole process of developing players. At Barcelona I started out with the under eights and moved through all of the age groups. I think I am a lot more ready to make a step forward because of this knowledge and have a very clear idea in my mind about what to do to push the players through to the first-team - or at least get a chance to show what they can do.

Former Reds player Mike Marsh takes over from you as U18 coach - how impressed have you been by him and will you be passing on any advice to him?

He has done a great job with the U16s. Everyone can see he deserves to go through to the U18s. He also has experience playing professionally. I do not need to give him any advice. We talk regularly and I think it is a good move to move him up. He has a great attitude during the training sessions. He has knowledge, experience and I think he will do well.

You had great success at U18 level. Do you expect to take a large part of that group of players up to the reserves with you?

We will have to talk about this. Obviously some players that were U18s are now going to be U19s. We have to discuss whether we will make new signings and who will remain that was already in the reserves' squad. Someone who was U17 could also come through to it. I have only just returned from a tour of the Caribbean and it has only just been confirmed that I am the reserve team manager, so we will talk about all of this in the near future.

There's also the added challenge of the Next Generation Tournament (U19 Champions League) next season - how exciting is that for you as a coach?

It is a great opportunity for me as a coach and for the lads as players. Obviously it is a great competition and it is going to be really tough. There are some massive clubs involved including Sporting Lisbon. They have the best youth system in Portugal and one of the best in the world. The likes of Luis Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo and Quaresma have all come from there. They are a great example as an Academy. There are other teams like Manchester City, Barcelona, Wolfsburg, Milan etc etc. We will play home and away against big crowds in great games and that can only be positive for the lads.

Is a tournament like that crucial in helping young players narrow the huge step towards first-team level?

The league that the reserves play is what it is. I don't think it is bad in terms of the level but the regularity of the games isn't so great. You don't play every week and I think that is something that someone has to look to improve. I think the quality of the games is quite good. I think the U19 Champions League will help this a lot too. If we don't get enough games then we must look for some tough friendlies. My focus is to set up some interesting games for the pre-season. We must look to get the lads ready to put in massive effort and massive performances in order to create competition and win matches playing the right football. This is what I am looking for.

This season has only just finished but it sounds like you have already begun making your plans for pre-season?

Two days ago the news broke. Obviously I had a clue of what was happening before that so I made some plans in my head. Now I am just trying to put that into practice. For example I had Birmingham City and Norwich City in mind to come and play friendly matches with their reserves at the Academy. They are two Academies that are quite good and had strong U18s this season which means they will be good reserves next season. I called them yesterday and have arranged these matches but still need to make some calls and arrange what else I have had in mind.

Just finally, we can't let you go without asking you about the U18s' end of season tour to the Caribbean - how pleased were you with the overall trip?

We had a great time. You can see by the colour in my face! My colour is usually brown because I am Spanish but not like this! For a lot of the lads it was their first time in the Caribbean. They loved it. We also had a good game against St Vincent U20s. We played well in the second half and won the game 4-1. We had a great time. There were lots of visits, snorkelling with turtles etc. It was a nice trip and great to help bring the lads even more together.

RB-Rodolfo Borrell
      RB-Rafa Benitez

The question is - Have you ever seen them in the same room... ;)

Classy guy and would love to see him stay here and manage our first team eventually
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #33: May 27, 2011 09:02:09 pm
      We really are building something great here and this guy its central to alot of it. He always talks well after a game, hes one of those people who I just like to lusten to about football. The guy deserves as much credit as anyone at the club fpr the revolution currently under way. Top bloke.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: May 29, 2011 01:17:43 am
      Anyone who had an input into tonight's humiliation of the scum has got to be good.

We may not have La Masia but we probably have a spare Robbie Fowler house in Scotty Road.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9393966.stm

soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #35: May 29, 2011 01:49:11 am
      Anyone who had an input into tonight's humiliation of the scum has got to be good.
      We may not have La Masia but we probably have a spare Robbie Fowler house in Scotty Road.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9393966.stm

Great story, thank you for the link.  :)
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #36: May 29, 2011 02:37:45 am
      I have lot of respect and admiration for Borrell. Not just because of his exemplary record at Barca but also for the way he speaks about this club. He seems to understand it in a way that Roy Hodgson certainly never did.

We're hoping for some Ballon d'Or players too Rodolfo! Three will do.... ;)
      Any less! then he should be sacked.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #37: May 29, 2011 11:12:44 pm
      Great story, thank you for the link.  :)

Our very own Pepe went there.

(Not Scotty. Barca.)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Jun 03, 2011 02:17:05 pm
      Why Liverpool FC Can Be to English Football What Barcelona Is to the Spanish
      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/721071-why-liverpool-fc-can-be-to-english-football-what-barcelona-is-to-the-spanish
      By kaustav bose(Liverpool Featured Columnist)

The English Daily Liverpool Echo may have related the origin of Barcelona FC to Liverpudlian witty brothers; however, there can be more to the Liverpool-Barcelona in the coming times than just that.

According to official stats,of the 32 players who played for Barcelona in their last campaign, 21 were academy youngsters. We are also very well aware the effect that this had on the Spanish national team in the recent times. Even seemingly undroppable players in England like Torres and Fabregas could not make the cut in the Spanish National time, which was filled with a flurry of La Liga players.

Now, with seven players of Liverpool playing in the England U-19 and a plethora of promising English youngsters filling the reserve ranks at Anfield, Liverpool look set to mirror the Barcelona- like effect in England in the coming days.

Also, under Kenny Dalglish, Liverpool looks set to buy premier league players and preferably English players, which could be an expensive exercise given the transfer market operating in England. However, constant links to Ashley Young (who may well be missed out due to absence of premier European football at the club next year), Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson, Gary Cahill and even Connor Wickham etc., only re-inforce Liverpool's recruitment strategy, which may well be that of attracting the best available British talent around.

Now, whether the Reds are able to gather the resources will be clear by the end of the present summer transfer window. And even if the Dalglish and Comolli have their targets, the success of the process in application would only be realized as Liverpool progress through the season.

However, under Rodolfo Borrell (who was incidentally appointed by Rafael Benitez after he had overhauled the academy in his last year at the club ), the former Barcelona academy manager who had overseen the progress of players like Messi and Iniesta in their teens, for the first time in over a decade, Liverpool FC can hope for a great supply of  talent from the academy and the reserves  (The signing of the much wanted Raheem Sterling has been a revelation and was also a signal of intent in the Benitez era.).

Now, though the transition from academy to the senior level is a huge one and many a great promising talent has lost out in the process, whether or not the academy players are able to mature the way Barcelona has found out remains to be seen. The entire process now looks a much better one for the Reds, unlike most other premier clubs in England, who are more keen on recruiting either foreign players or buying proven talents in the transfer windows.

The greatest drawback in building a team with superstars from the transfer market is that you need to constantly spend big, much like Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea are used to in the present and even Manchester United did until the recent past.

Also, only academy youngsters would still prefer a backseat for the senior players to learn from them. Big money buys, whether kids or otherwise, usually want a fast paced track to senior level football. This has been Barcelona's greatest advantage, as they could maintain a good and constant supply of players without bothering about their ego problems because of their bench stay. Players like Thiago, Maxwell and Bojan etc., who could be regulars for many a top club around the world, were always at their service. Clearly, Mascherano and Afellay wouldn't play that role for long.

With the financial fair play coming into effect soon, focusing on the academy may be a long term measure taken by premier league clubs in the future; however,  at the moment, the performance of the Liverpool academy has really been encouraging and not only Liverpool, but the England National Football team may stand to benefit from it.

Now, only time will tell whether they can be as wonderful and stylish as Barcelona are at the moment (as it is incredibly tough to collect the accolade of "best club squad ever" like they have, and deservedly so), and predicting it makes little sense; however, Liverpool FC's greatest club team in the 80's would be well known to Kenny Dalglish. Under his tutelage, the Reds fans can dream on, and who knows? Liverpool FC may well be able to repeat their golden days.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: Jun 03, 2011 06:38:35 pm
      Great Article. Makes you proud and positive for the future.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #40: Jun 03, 2011 06:51:21 pm
      Thanks for the article, racer. Yeah, as euro said, makes you proud and positive.

Didn't the late 1970s-early 1980s Liverpool team consist mostly of British footballers?
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #41: Jun 03, 2011 08:10:21 pm
      Great Article. Makes you proud and positive for the future.

Same. Really does fill you with optimism when you read articles like this.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #42: Jun 08, 2011 02:45:33 pm

@ESPN_JorgeRamos
      Jorge Ramos & Banda
       Pep Guardiola declaro "la academia del Liverpool es la unica que puede competirle a "La Masia" del Barcelona FC."

Quote from Pep Guardiola declaring

The Liverpool Academy is the only one that can compare with La Masia of Barcelona FC.

High praise indeed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #43: Jun 08, 2011 02:49:40 pm
      Nice praise indeed.
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2011 07:36:13 pm
      yes its great news he said something like we could produce around 20 players from academy in the next few years if we get half that its amazing
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2011 08:06:37 pm

@ESPN_JorgeRamos
      Jorge Ramos & Banda
       Pep Guardiola declaro "la academia del Liverpool es la unica que puede competirle a "La Masia" del Barcelona FC."

Quote from Pep Guardiola declaring

The Liverpool Academy is the only one that can compare with La Masia of Barcelona FC.

High praise indeed.

That's a tweet worth tweeting!

Quick Reply