Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 160405 times
      sebfc20
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      • YNWA
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey Player Thread
      Reply #368: Jul 22, 2011 05:51:09 pm
      Really like the look of this lad, His vision, Passing, and his confidence seems really high, Always there on the free kicks, Hes one to look out for, Wouldnt mind seeing him sent out on loan to another PL team to give him abit more experience.
      parskopite
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #369: Jul 26, 2011 06:26:49 pm
      Loan experience will serve Jonjo well.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #370: Jul 26, 2011 10:58:42 pm
      jonjo is having potential ..he must play more games .... he needs only one season to grow into a real good player
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #371: Jul 27, 2011 12:38:01 am
      I agree that he strikes the ball with good technique and that has an eye for a through ball (Napoli + Fulham spring to mind), but I don't agree that he's this marauding force who can sensibly be compared to Gerrard. Physically he's nowhere near it; too weak, easily brushed off the ball and not strong enough in the challenge. To be able to compete he'll need to work on improving his fitness, especially his strength, and although I think it's too early to write him off, I'm not expecting him to feature regularly this season, especially since we've signed Adam and Henderson. Perhaps then a loan move to a Championship club would enable him to toughen up a bit and get more game time.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #372: Jul 27, 2011 02:21:31 am
      Loan to a club like Leeds would do him good imo. Spearing went on loan and when he came back he played great.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #373: Jul 29, 2011 12:25:35 pm
      Was absolutely awful last night, has a long long way to go before he is good enough to compete for a place on the bench never mind the first 11
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #374: Jul 29, 2011 12:29:05 pm
      Yep, let's start judging players on a pre season friendly in Turkey. ;)
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #375: Jul 29, 2011 12:29:17 pm
      Bit harsh Corbally, showed plenty signs of promise last year for me. Quite like him but wonder how Kenny is going to get him game time.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #376: Jul 29, 2011 12:34:55 pm
      Has to go on loan KS67, he took the wrong option every single time last night
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #377: Jul 29, 2011 12:48:53 pm
      So did everyone, not one player did themselves any credit last night. Although I agree to an extent, Shelveys only meaningful contirbution was the headlock and slam!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #378: Jul 29, 2011 12:50:41 pm
      Maybe he will go on loan.  I don't think he was thinking straight last night after getting booked.  Not really fair to judge the lad on one bad second string team performance.

He's got potential and lots of energy.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #379: Jul 29, 2011 01:47:02 pm
      Players will play better with better players around them, especially young players.

To play youth with all the sh*te last night and expect them to perform is ludicrous.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #380: Jul 29, 2011 04:21:26 pm
      We thought it when we saw the team sheet and so will the lads of thought it, what crazy set-up is this? Kenny threw a team together to just get the friendly out of the way it seemed and to judge players on the back of this game would be harsh.

Having said that, judging his progression since his transfer he needs to step it up a bit as I'm not seeing star qualities yet and seeing plenty of mistakes in his game. At the moment looks like he has the tools but the brain doesn't quite make the work how they should, hoping personally we loan him out as it'd do him the world of good at another prem team.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #381: Jul 29, 2011 04:37:49 pm
      Why is this guy being given more of an opportunity than let's say a Daniel Pacheco?

Nothing against Shelvey, but Pacheco must be getting more game time than this lad at the moment. Oh well what do I know?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #382: Jul 29, 2011 05:16:28 pm
      Why is this guy being given more of an opportunity than let's say a Daniel Pacheco?

Nothing against Shelvey, but Pacheco must be getting more game time than this lad at the moment. Oh well what do I know?
      Well Pacheco being at the u20 world cup at the moment might have something to do with it.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #383: Jul 29, 2011 05:59:50 pm
      Shelvey: Oh, he's a top player

29th Jul 2011 - Latest News

Jonjo Shelvey has tipped his cap at one of the players keeping him out of Liverpool's midfield.

The 19-year-old faces stiff competition if he wants to add to the 21 appearances he made during 2010-11, with new boys Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam all vying for places in an already competitive midfield this season.

Another player Shelvey may hope to oust from the starting XI is Lucas Leiva, who was voted our Player of the Season by fans last term.

The England youth international knows shifting his Brazilian colleague will not be easy.

"I've watched him closely quite a bit when I've been on the substitutes' bench and you just think, 'Oh, he's a top player'," Shelvey told LFC Weekly.

"He has so many qualities from the intensity that he tackles with and the way he passes the ball. He's done so well. You can see how hard he works out there on the pitch and he is a really good player.

"He deserves the Player of the Year award and I congratulate him."

Author: Jimmy Rice

Liverpoolfc.tv

I think players with the caliber of Jono need more chances to go to the next level. i thought we should give this lad more chances or loan him out to get more experinces under his belt.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #384: Jul 30, 2011 07:49:21 am
      He needs to be sent on loan this season to a club that plays quite attacking football, maybe Blackpool or somewhere like Swansea.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #385: Jul 30, 2011 12:58:56 pm

As much as i hope Pacheco turns out to be world class, Shelvey is more likely to be a regular in the coming years. I honestly don't know whether Dani is as good as we hope he is.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #386: Jul 30, 2011 01:49:32 pm
      Think Shelvey has the talent, he has good vision and a solid pass on him, his touch is good and is not afraid to dribble at players however for me his attitude stinks, i think he is too cocky and arrogant and i really don't enjoy watching him off the ball or when arguing with the ref, he doesn't seem the mold of a Liverpool player.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #387: Jul 30, 2011 02:42:37 pm
      ^so is suarez, but your username suggests that you like the Uruguayan. Shelvey will sort that out as he picks up more experience.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #388: Jul 30, 2011 02:46:32 pm
      ^so is suarez, but your username suggests that you like the Uruguayan. Shelvey will sort that out as he picks up more experience.

For me Suarez puts it about in a positive manner by taking on players with skill and flare, and scoring goals, however i do not see Shelvey showing it in the right ways, hope he can prove me wrong.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #389: Jul 30, 2011 04:16:03 pm
      Suarez always looking for call from the officials, that Uruguay v Argentina game he flopping around trying to get free kicks and players booked. It's that sort of thing where he is on your team you love it but when your playing against a player who is doing the same it drives you nuts.

As for Jonjo I see him as a bit hot headed, he seems like once he gets stuck in he is on the line of getting a second yellow all the time but that comes in time. Loan is the best thing for him, would be nice to see him get with Premiership team but even going to the Championship as long as he gets lots of playing time to develop his game.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #390: Jul 30, 2011 04:42:39 pm
      Probably on my own on this one , but I have seen little that leads me to believe he will make it. Hope I am wrong and he progresses to a great career, but at the moment I am not too hopeful.

Quick Reply