Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1105337 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)
      Jun 10, 2007 12:44:21 am
      Lucas Pezzini Leiva (born January 9, 1987 in Dourados, Mato Grosso do Sul) is a Brazilian football (soccer) midfielder. He uses the name Lucas on the back of his shirt. He is nephew of the former Brazilian football player Leivinha and holds an Italian passport.

Lucas started his career with Gremio, making his first team debut on October 22, 2005 in a 1-0 win over Nautico in Serie B. Gremio went on to win the league that season, gaining promotion to the top tier of Brazilian football.

2006 was a successful year for Lucas and Gremio, winning the Rio Grande do Sul state championship (the Campeonato Gaúcho) for the first time since 2001, and also coming third in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. Lucas also became the youngest player to ever to receive Placar magazine's Bola de Ouro (Golden Ball), given to the best player in the Campeonato Brasileiro — an honour previously won by the likes of Zico, Falcao, Careca, Romario, Kaka and Tevez.

In October 2006 Lucas was brought into the senior Brazilian squad for friendlies against Kuwaiti club Al-Kuwait and Ecuador. Lucas was both the youngest member and one of only two non-Europe-based players in a strong squad. He made his debut for Brazil on October 7, 2006 coming on as a second half substitute against Al-Kuwait. Brazil won the match 4-0. However, this appearance does not count as his first cap as the match was not considered an official friendly match by FIFA.

His form in 2006 led to reported interest from many major European clubs including Palermo, Inter, Juventus, Atlético Madrid and Barcelona.

Lucas is the current captain of the Brazilian Under-20 team. He helped the team to victory in the 2007 South American Youth Championship, scoring 4 goals in the process. He is expected to again lead the team in the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup which will be contested in Canada in July 2007.

On May 13, 2007 Liverpool confirmed the acquisition of Lucas and will join the club from Gremio in time for the start of the 2007-08 season The transfer fee is rumoured to be worth in the region of €10 million. Lucas will remain with Gremio until the end of their 2007 Copa Libertadores campaign.

Upon signing with Liverpool, Lucas has been dubbed "the Brazilian Gerrard" by some fans due to the similarity of his playing style with Liverpool's current captain, Steven Gerrard.

(Information from Wiki)

Honours

Gremio

* Winner
                o Campeonato Brasileiro Série B: 2005
                o Campeonato Gaúcho: 2006, 2007

Brazil

* Winner
                o 2007 South American U-20 Championship

Personal Awards

* Winner
                o Bola de Ouro (Brazilian Footballer of the year): 2007

Video Compilation of some of his best goals (4 mins 11 secs)

<object width="425" height="299"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/3RDSsqysW107DdmE8"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/3RDSsqysW107DdmE8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="299" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017 10:53:38 pm by RedPuppy »
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Re: Lucas Leiva (Attacking Midfielder)
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2007 11:24:04 am
      This guy certainly looks the business.Lets see how he adapts to the English style and the competition for places he will have.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2007 11:43:54 am
      Like the way he will have a shot on goal from anywhere !  And also like the way he can get it in from a tight angle  :o !! ;) ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2007 11:53:11 am
      And also like the way he can get it in from a tight angle  :o !! ;) ;D

Come on Smiggs, Sunday's a holy day...
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 10, 2007 12:41:42 pm
      Well, he's fantastic in football manager anyway  ;D
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Jun 12, 2007 11:51:53 pm
      Less than £7 million for the youngest ever Brazilian footballer of the year...

Could THIS be the transfer deal of the summer?

Interesting that he is captain of the Brazil Under 20's side and will be in the Championships in Canada in July 2007.  With such a late finish to this season, and the internationals, maybe he won't 'appear' till late Autumn for us?
      « Last Edit: Jun 12, 2007 11:54:20 pm by koolkidda »
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2007 08:18:05 am
      I hope he gets plenty of chances in the first team. Maybe give Stevie a rest now and then and stick this guy in.
      sonny
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 13, 2007 09:09:32 am
      Looks like the lads a good un, however, there will still be questions about him like : Can he hack it in the prem? can he adapt to the english and prem way of life?
      Lets hope the answer is yes he can.....
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 13, 2007 09:49:44 am
      Looks like the lads a good un, however, there will still be questions about him like : Can he hack it in the prem? can he adapt to the english and prem way of life?
      Lets hope the answer is yes he can.....

He looks very good i hope the answer to is Yes also and he might just be the buy of the summer.
      Kofansatboston
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 22, 2007 04:10:28 pm
      I watched him playing the Copa game with Boca, he didnt really impressed me, he is more like all the defense player we have, more Alonso type.  I mean he is young and he will be a good player, but I am not sure if he is what we need, we have way too many defensive player~
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #10: Jun 22, 2007 04:14:27 pm
      I watched him playing the Copa game with Boca, he didnt really impressed me, he is more like all the defense player we have, more Alonso type.  I mean he is young and he will be a good player, but I am not sure if he is what we need, we have way too many defensive player~
      only because he was told to play that role he can also play box to box and score goals
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Reply #11: Jun 22, 2007 04:34:03 pm
      it might not be what we need right now, but he is strong powerful and likes a goal or two. i think rafa is building for the future with this guy. future looks bright
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #12: Jun 22, 2007 06:05:34 pm
      Really excited about this guy...and Leto.  Looks like we've finally signed two promising youngsters...who are actually promising.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #13: Jun 24, 2007 09:47:18 pm
      has bags of potential hope we are talking about him come january.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #14: Jun 24, 2007 09:53:04 pm
      does this mean sissoko has to press on ? we will have to many centre midfielders
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #15: Jun 24, 2007 10:28:12 pm
      If lucas settles and proves himself then it will mean that sossoko will leave. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16: Jul 26, 2007 12:50:54 pm
      Lucas Leiva officially became a red today (or yesterday)

Two articles from the Official - First up one talking with the player

LEIVA: THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY

On the day he was finally unveiled as a Liverpool player, Lucas Leiva admitted he can't wait to line up alongside his new team-mates.

The summer signing from Gremio met up with the squad for the first time at Heathrow airport on Saturday and has spent the past few days getting to know them in Hong Kong.

International red tape denied him a debut against South China on Tuesday but he's now been cleared to play against Portsmouth on Friday and is eager to build on the exciting progress he's already made in his short but, so far, successful, career.

The 20-year old Brazilian told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I am very happy to finally be at Liverpool. It is a club that is respected throughout the world and this is a great opportunity for me. I just can't wait to play now.

"With the majority of the team being away in Switzerland last week I have not had much time to get to know them but it's been good to be among the lads here in Hong Kong and everyone is going out of their way to make me feel at home.

"Of course, it's a little difficult at first because of the language barrier, but I am doing my best to learn English as quickly as possible though and so will soon be able to join in the dressing room banter.

"I know of all the Liverpool players and there is a great selection of top stars at this club. I have always looked up to Steven Gerrard and I'm looking forward to playing in the same team as him.

"I like the British style of play but it's a lot faster than I am used to so it may take me a little while to adapt."

and one with Rafa

RAFA HAILS NEW LEIVA-POOL ARRIVAL

Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool have acquired one of world football's best young talents in Brazil under-20 captain Lucas Leiva.

The Reds boss is delighted to finally be working with the highly-rated Leiva, who this week joined up with the squad for the first time following his summer move from Gremio.

A combative box-to-box style midfielder, Leiva's signature was coveted by a host of top clubs and Benitez is backing him him to play a starring role in Liverpool's future.

The manager said: "Lucas is a young player with great experience because he has played at international level for Brazil many times. We have known about him for a long time and had to move quickly to sign him because many top clubs were interested.

"He will need to improve his English but other than that he's settled down quickly. I was away in Switzerland for the first ten days he was at the club but all the reports I received were good and he's done well in training over here.

"Lucas is not a typical Brazilian player but he's a clever player who wants the ball all the time, which is important. He will need time but I think we've signed a really excellent prospect.

"He's a player with character who works hard, can play in the holding midfield role and also get in the box to score goals. His mentality is a winning one and that's what we want here; a team of winners.

"He's one for the future but also one for this year. I've explained that he'll face tough competition for his place but that is good for us. If you want to win trophies, and by that I mean more than one a season, you have to have a bigger squad."
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2007 02:41:34 pm
      Any sign of Lucas getting involved yet? Or have we bought another Gonzalez?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #18: Aug 18, 2007 09:57:21 pm
      Chill mate - give him time he's gotta break into the best midfield in the world don't you know!
      superhans
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2007 01:53:30 pm
      I for one dont think he will get many matches this year... mainly because we all know our strength in depth in the middle is immense..and he simply is the least proven of the midfielders but has a lot of potential..has he been playing in the reserves at all?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #20: Aug 23, 2007 10:57:44 pm
      Possibility of a chance of making it on the bench this weekend.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #21: Aug 24, 2007 09:24:41 am
      Hope so....if we can have Gerrard, gerrard-lite is second best!
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 24, 2007 09:46:24 am
      People are saying we have alot of depth in our midfield but I say that's only in terms of defense, caus we've got two holding midfielders (alonso and masch) and a ball-winner (sissoko). Our options in attack is/were limited caus it's only gerrard that is a recognised attacker. This kid seems to be like gerrard (gets around and can shoot), so I reckon we should get him in there, let him get a few goals and up his confidence and confirm the fact that our midfield is the best in the world.

If there's one thing I hate, its buying a kid with potential, and not hearing from him again (f**king palletta).

Quick Reply