Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1108180 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Lucas Leiva Player Thread
      Reply #11086: Jul 11, 2014 02:32:10 pm
      He is normally fu**ed after 60 minutes nowadays. Legs like a 37 year old.

Don't mind him going but only if he is replaced.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #11087: Jul 15, 2014 04:37:54 pm
      describing footballers' futures as bleak given their salaries is silly. I think he'll go if we get the right bid. Interestingly though this could be Stevie's last season and then we ll be looking for a new DM to challenge Emre Can. Maybe a loan is a better option if he stays injury free. Alongside mobile midfielders like Allen and Henderson he does really well
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #11088: Jul 15, 2014 04:42:00 pm
      He is normally fu**ed after 60 minutes nowadays. Legs like a 37 year old.

Don't mind him going but only if he is replaced.

As a 39 year old I'm not sure whether to take that as a shot or what? ;D

I played basketball for 2 1/2 hours last night, Lucas must just be out of shape :D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #11089: Jul 15, 2014 07:01:41 pm
      Always loved Lucas and hope he is able to regain his physical condition and performance level of 2 years back.
      Would be a great option for us having a fully restored Lucas at BR's disposal.
      If not then it would be sad to see him only being able to get on the bench and i for one would wish him well on the next chapter of his career at a different club.
      Hiroyuki Ishii
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #11090: Jul 20, 2014 05:40:31 pm
      I don't think loaning out Lucas is good idea.
      We need the depth. It's either sell him for 10m. or keep him.

as a replacement, I want William Carvalho :)
      Big strong guy in center of field sounds nice :) :)
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #11091: Jul 31, 2014 02:36:38 am
      That Pen for the win!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #11092: Jul 31, 2014 08:13:44 am
      It would be silly to sell Lucas and keep Allen, Allen does not contribute to anything. Lucas defends very very well, no one can deny it.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #11093: Jul 31, 2014 08:34:47 am
      It would be silly to sell Lucas and keep Allen, Allen does not contribute to anything. Lucas defends very very well, no one can deny it.

Joe Allen is a good player. Believe it.
      Allen really is good, remember the Tottenham demolition.
      In fact I'm gonna watch that now..
      Edited.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11094: Jul 31, 2014 08:46:14 am
      Can't sell him if we don't replace him.

And his player thread is 371 pages long, it doesn't get this long without a whole bunch of different opinions. Some people rate him, some don't. And some change their minds as they go along.

I thought he was garbage after one season and then he won me over despite admittedly him showing consistent form 3/4 years in to his spell at the club.

I said earlier in the window, if anyone deserves to have a chance to recover and prove themselves it's this guy. He has had a pre season under his belt now and can push on and get confidence.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #11095: Aug 01, 2014 01:10:37 am
      Can't sell him if we don't replace him.

And his player thread is 371 pages long, it doesn't get this long without a whole bunch of different opinions. Some people rate him, some don't. And some change their minds as they go along.

I thought he was garbage after one season and then he won me over despite admittedly him showing consistent form 3/4 years in to his spell at the club.

I said earlier in the window, if anyone deserves to have a chance to recover and prove themselves it's this guy. He has had a pre season under his belt now and can push on and get confidence.

I agree. He is the best tactical DM in the club. He has proven himself time and time again. I don't think anyone else has come under the same amount of scrutiny as Lucas. It's like he is the embodiment of the argument 'was Rafa good in the tranfer market.' If Lucas is seen as a good buy then this settles the argument one way or the other. Personally there is no way I would get rid of him. I would also like to see Lucas play in the DM role, especially in the CL.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11096: Aug 01, 2014 11:57:25 am
      I like him always have because he improved despite all the criticism that came his way.
      His problem has been his lack of pace and maybe with a good pre season he could improve on this. Even as a squad player he could be valuable if you want to tighten up in the last 15 mins of a game he could do a job.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,892 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #11097: Aug 01, 2014 12:07:06 pm
      Joe Allen is a good player. Believe it.
      Allen really is good, remember the Tottenham demolition.
      In fact I'm gonna watch that now..
      Edited.

As good as Allen may be, when both are in form i would take Lucas over Allen all day. He was a destroyer of opposition play and always kept possession well. Allen can't defend as well and his attacking play is positive but doesn't outweigh the defensive benefits Lucas can provide.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11098: Aug 01, 2014 12:39:09 pm
      Surprised nobody has mentioned the lovely deft little touch that took 2 defenders out of the game and put Sterling through.
      Around the 3 minute mark

Liverpool vs Manchester City 2-2 2014 All Goals and Highlights (International Champions Cup)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #11099: Aug 01, 2014 12:41:03 pm
      As good as Allen may be, when both are in form i would take Lucas over Allen all day. He was a destroyer of opposition play and always kept possession well. Allen can't defend as well and his attacking play is positive but doesn't outweigh the defensive benefits Lucas can provide.

I agree with this. Lucas can offer us something no one else can, whereas Coutinho and Hendo can both excel at what Allen does best (that is, not passing the ball yo the opposition players).
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11100: Aug 17, 2014 04:12:54 pm
      Absolutely brutal today, f*ck me.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,892 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #11101: Aug 17, 2014 04:16:04 pm

Think Allen could reach his top form again where as Lucas can't so this statement doesn't have as much validity as when i said it aha.

Lucas seems lost when alongside Gerrard think he'd do better in the deep lying role by himself as would Gerrard.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11102: Aug 17, 2014 08:42:21 pm
      I agree with this. Lucas can offer us something no one else can

which is what exactly?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #11103: Aug 17, 2014 09:16:05 pm
      Lucas was pretty shocking today, okayish first half, but that second half was his worse performance I have seen. I like the guy but he just doesn't seem to be doing anything. He wasn't defending (didn't win a single tackle today), his passing was too safe, he never passed forwards, he is so slow with the ball, and he was caught ball catching for their goal.

Lucas can play a role here but he should never play alongside Gerrard. It's either Lucas or Gerrard in the holding role. Both just does not work. We all said it prematch too.

If Napoil give us a good offer I would be willing to sell, however we'd need a replacement as a Gerrard, Henderson, Allen and Can midfield would be very light.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11104: Aug 17, 2014 09:19:21 pm
      Sadly not the player he was 3/4 years ago due to injury. Don't see what he does that now makes us a better team. If Napoli want him I think we should listen to the offer. Hes given good service to us but he wont be part of us pushing on hell be part of us remaining static. Sorry to say it
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11105: Aug 17, 2014 09:40:07 pm
      Is there a reason why half of the posts about Lucas start out with "I like the guy, but..."

What does liking him have to do with anything?  I thought we were trying to win, not collect a team full of likeable blokes.

Who cares if he is likeable or not.  Suarez was a contemptible cannibal and he contributed about a thousand times more to our club than Lucas could ever dream of.

"Boss, we've scouted this new lad, he is pacy, excellent on the wing, has an eye for goal, tracks back and works hard for the team, and score 100 goals in his league last season."

"Fine, fine, but does he hold the door open for old ladies???"

lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #11106: Aug 17, 2014 09:42:42 pm
      Is there a reason why half of the posts about Lucas start out with "I like the guy, but..."

What does liking him have to do with anything?  I thought we were trying to win, not collect a team full of likeable blokes.

Who cares if he is likeable or not.  Suarez was a contemptible cannibal and he contributed about a thousand times more to our club than Lucas could ever dream of.

Liking a player and wanting him to leave are not entirely exclusive.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11107: Aug 17, 2014 09:43:40 pm

Sometimes when players spent 8/9 years at a club and in that time they get stick but then come through the other side with sheer hard work and determination to become good players for the club only to be knocked back by injury again and again but in that time they put the head down to work hard get back fit and they show a passion for playing for the club some fans might just think "I like this guy, in fact I fooking love him" Hard to explain really
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11108: Aug 17, 2014 09:58:03 pm
      Sometimes when players spent 8/9 years at a club and in that time they get stick but then come through the other side with sheer hard work and determination to become good players for the club... and they show a passion for playing for the club

I'm really sorry but Lucas has never been the player you're describing for more than one season.  He was pretty awful for the first few years he was here.  Then once Xabi left, he had one, count 'em, ONE brilliant season, back in 2011/2012, but then he got injured away at Chelsea, and has never been the same since.

As for passion, I haven't seen Lucas show "passion" for the club at all in the last few years.  Half of the time he walks around, looks like he can't be arsed, he also does that really annoying thing where he grins when he gives away dangerous fowls.  If you want passion, try looking at Suarez who lived and died on every kick while he was here with us---and he didn't even want to be here!!!

If you want a "likeable" player then how about Aurelio?  he was a player who REALLY suffered through injuries while he was here, and yet as a player Fabio had more talent and skill in his left pinkie than Lucas has in his entire body.

But no one cared when Fabio was unceremoniously released from the club. 

Quick Reply