Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1108959 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Re: Lucas Leiva Player Thread
      Reply #11155: Sep 24, 2014 10:39:50 am
      Here's a thought given his the only natural DM in the squad and were playing in a set up requiring a holding midfielder, why not start this lad?

I'd only try that if Gerrard isn't playing.

For some reason when they both play the end up doing virtually the same job and the midfield looks terrible.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11156: Sep 24, 2014 12:45:44 pm
      Swapped around very well with Rossiter last night.
      It was strange to see him around the edge of their box pinging the passes to the wide areas, but then dropping deeper to allow Rossiter his turn at going forwards. Did the same when Williams came on.
      For me, that's how a deep midfield 2 should play.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #11157: Sep 24, 2014 12:49:23 pm
      I'd only try that if Gerrard isn't playing.

For some reason when they both play the end up doing virtually the same job and the midfield looks terrible.
      Yes defensively. But not perform the offensive "quarterback" role more effectively than Stevie. And how about nerves of steel to bury spot kicks one after another for a few seasons?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11158: Sep 24, 2014 10:38:46 pm
      Nice haircut
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #11159: Oct 05, 2014 10:07:10 pm
      Needs to get some shooting practice in...

He had a couple of great shooting opportunities at the kop end yesterday, fell to him lovely and he put them both in to row Z

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #11160: Oct 06, 2014 09:19:20 am
      Hate to say it as I really like the guy but I think Lucas's time is up. His legs are gone and he's not getting them back. We really need to replace him with a quality defensive midfielder in January if one is available. Annoyed we didn't get Song in as a replacement during the Summer window would have been a big improvement.
      StevieGTheCaptain8
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts | 11 
      • Italian Fan
      Reply #11161: Oct 06, 2014 09:24:07 am
      Hate to say it as I really like the guy but I think Lucas's time is up. His legs are gone and he's not getting them back. We really need to replace him with a quality defensive midfielder in January if one is available. Annoyed we didn't get Song in as a replacement during the Summer window would have been a big improvement.

I really loved Lucas at his best, and I still love him as a great person and pro, but unfortunately I think you're right.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11162: Oct 23, 2014 10:39:05 pm
      Our forgotten man is Lucas.

Has come out today with the fact he would like to move in January.   Been with us for 7 years and took some undeserved crap in the early days.

I for one will be sad to see him go.
      Rafa was interested in the summer. Hope he still is .
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11163: Oct 23, 2014 10:46:36 pm
      I for one will be sad to see him go.

Why?  what did Lucas ever do for the club?  he had a couple of decent seasons, that was about it.  His main contribution as a Liverpool player was being best mates with Suarez so he would feel some connection to staying as long as he did.

Everything about our transfer business is rubbish.  Lucas's "time" was up a while ago.  He was dross for his first few seasons, had about 2 seasons of being very good, then got injured and has been dross again for the last 3 seasons.  So basically a sandwich with two pieces of sh*te being the bread, and one very thin slice of high quality Italian prosciutto in the middle.

Why on earth he didn't move on in the summer is beyond me.  "The parties couldn't reach an agreement" is what the article read, but what exactly was our valuation of him?!  I mean he's literally not playing at all, we're paying him to sit around and do nothing.  It literally would have been to our advantage to give him away for free, at least that way someone else would be paying his wages.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11164: Oct 23, 2014 11:14:14 pm
      I still believe he's good enough, he just needs a 5 game run to get that sharpness back.

We really lack composure in the middle, players able to play decisive forward short passes, players comfortable with the ball at their feet in tight spaces, and with a combination of Coutinho and Lucas, I believe it'll be match made in heaven in terms of possession play.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11165: Oct 23, 2014 11:19:52 pm
      We really lack composure in the middle, players able to play decisive forward short passes, players comfortable with the ball at their feet in tight spaces, and with a combination of Coutinho and Lucas, I believe it'll be match made in heaven in terms of possession play.

Do facts not matter to you?

You want players comfortable with the ball at their feet in tight spaces; Lucas gives the ball away like it's going out of style.

That's like saying "I need a beautiful woman; this fat, ugly bird will be a wonderful choice."

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #11166: Oct 23, 2014 11:27:08 pm
      Lucas gives the ball away like it's going out of style.

No he doesn't.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11167: Oct 23, 2014 11:27:12 pm
      Do facts not matter to you?

You want players comfortable with the ball at their feet in tight spaces; Lucas gives the ball away like it's going out of style.

That's like saying "I need a beautiful woman; this fat, ugly bird will be a wonderful choice."

He hasn't had a proper run of games since returning from his major injury and besides, his short passing is better than Gerrard, Henderson, Can and Allen.

Anyway, our midfield has been poor since the start of the season, so I don't see a problem in trying something different out and giving Lucas a run of games. Not like we have a lot of world class options in midfield.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11168: Oct 23, 2014 11:30:46 pm
      Anyway, our midfield has been poor since the start of the season, so I don't see a problem in trying something different out and giving Lucas a run of games. Not like we have a lot of world class options in midfield.

I agree with you that the midfield is pretty awful.  Stevie is way past it, Allen and Henderson are decent but nothing more, Can hasn't shown yet his ready (though he had a nice Cameo against Madrid).  I'm not saying the current midfield options are great.  But Lucas is even worse.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11169: Oct 23, 2014 11:48:48 pm
      I agree with you that the midfield is pretty awful.  Stevie is way past it, Allen and Henderson are decent but nothing more, Can hasn't shown yet his ready (though he had a nice Cameo against Madrid).  I'm not saying the current midfield options are great.  But Lucas is even worse.

Lucas is worse than any midfielder we have if he plays as a box-box role, but as a lone sitting role in a diamond, I genuinely believe he can bring a lot of positivity and composure in our passing. This season, we have struggled a lot with possession play, our passing is too lethargic and negative, players panic when in tight spaces (except for Sterling and Coutinho)..... even Gerrard. But with a combination of Lucas and Coutinho(as the #10), I think it could be the answer to our midfield problems.

I know you don't rate him, but I don't believe you need the best to create that synergy and to become an exceptional team, you just need the right cog to keep the engine running smoothly and for me, Lucas is the right cog at the moment.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11170: Oct 25, 2014 09:45:49 pm
      How far off is Lucas from action?.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11171: Oct 25, 2014 10:34:39 pm
      How far off is Lucas from action?.

Didn't even realise he was injured, thought he was just being left out.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11172: Oct 25, 2014 11:36:14 pm
      Didn't even realise he was injured, thought he was just being left out.

So Lucas is not out due to a injury then, baffling.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11173: Oct 25, 2014 11:39:29 pm
      So Lucas is not out due to a injury then, baffling.

I genuinely don't know, I was hoping you'd have shed some light.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11174: Oct 25, 2014 11:44:22 pm
      I genuinely don't know, I was hoping you'd have shed some light.

Liverpool transfer news: Lucas Leiva confirms he is seeking Reds exit

Tom Collomosse

Thursday 23 October 2014

Lucas Leiva is keen to leave Liverpool when the transfer window re-opens in January.
      The Brazilian midfielder is out of favour at Anfield and came close to linking up with former boss Rafael Benitez at Napoli during the summer.

Leiva has made just two Premier League starts this season and is yet to play a full 90 minutes in the league this season.

Liverpool v Real Madrid: Player Ratings
      And the 27-year-old, who moved to Anfield from Brazilian side Gremio in 2007, is weighing up his options after becoming frustrated with a lack of playing time.

He told Radio Marca: “I’m not speaking to anyone at the moment because I’m under contract, but I am looking around, given I am not playing.

“There was contact with Napoli last summer, but the parties didn’t reach a satisfactory agreement. It’s true that Benitez has always held me in high esteem.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-transfer-news-lucas-leiva-confirms-he-is-seeking-reds-exit-9812794.html

Surely to F**k this lad needs to start a game for us?.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #11175: Oct 26, 2014 07:52:10 am
      we won many games last season because of his working rate ... the lad never deserved the stick he got from the fans, one of the few players who worked his ass for us and always a good professional, never complained, he did what was required from him
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11176: Oct 26, 2014 08:07:32 am
      Lucas is just not good enough anymore, people run right past him,  he can't tackle!  What would he bring to the team?  Desperation time people??
      zodak
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts | 10 
      Reply #11177: Nov 01, 2014 07:26:38 pm
      We need order in midfield. This notion that Gerrard can play the role of breaking up games and keeping things ticking over is a fallacy which is hurting us now.

If we lost Lucas, it is going to be a challenge and struggle for us.

The above statistic is taken from the 114 league games from 2011/12 - 2013/2014 where Lucas started in 58. The difference above is statistically significant.

Quick Reply