Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joe Cole (Liverpool -> West Ham)

Read 156251 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Joe Cole (Liverpool -> West Ham)
      May 04, 2010 03:29:42 am
      Liverpool FC plan swoop for Chelsea's Joe Cole to spearhead Anfield revolution
      Joe Cole has emerged as the latest transfer target for Liverpool to spearhead a home-grown revolution at Anfield.

Having already secured the services of English wonderkids Raheem Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey from Queens Park Rangers and Charlton Athletic respectively, Rafael Benitez is hoping to add the 28-year-old midfielder to the club's ranks.

The Reds are planning a swoop for the West Ham United academy graduate after his excessive wage demands aggravated Stamford Bridge chiefs and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich during preliminary contract talks.

Relations at Anfield have become highly strained following a turbulent campaign that has seen the club fail to qualify for next season's Champions League after crashing out of this year's group stages, and suffering heartache in the Europa League semi-final.

But Benitez is hoping that the capture of Cole, who made a very brief cameo apperance during his side's 2-0 victory over Liverpool on Sunday, will not only provide much-needed optimism to the Anfield faithful in addition to helping the club meet UEFA's home-grown quota.

In accordance with the plans, clubs competing in the Champions League or Europa League must have a minimum of four players produced from their club's academy and at least eight from players who have come through other English clubs' youth system.

But a move for the England international would force the Kop boss, whose own future is clouded in uncertainty following relentless interest from Juventus, to pay up to £6.2million per year with the player demanding a weekly wage of £120,000.

This stumbling block has seen Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur join the race for the signature of Cole, who has struggled to command a starring role under Carlo Ancelotti this season.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/128964-liverpool-fc-plan-swoop-for-chelsea%27s-joe-cole-to-spearhead-anfield-revolution.html?

Two words. F**k off.

The last thing we need is players obsessed with what they earn rather than who they play for. Seriously.
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2015 06:23:20 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Joe Cole (Chelsea)
      Reply #1: May 04, 2010 05:04:22 am
      Is our Nando not on 130K a week?

F**k off Cole.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: May 04, 2010 05:18:22 am
      Depends what he wants at the end of the day.

First team football and part of a massive club.

Or money for quick fame.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: May 04, 2010 06:21:33 am
      If he agrees to play for us rather than money and reduces his demands, then for sure.

So that would be a no then.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #4: May 04, 2010 06:24:07 am
      Ha ha , 120 thousand pounds a week . Is he on smack or something ? Oh that gave me a great laugh .
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #5: May 04, 2010 10:39:28 am
      If you think that J.Cole is say a £10M player, then over 4 years that's £50K a week - add on the £70K that he could comfortably earn else-where, and £120K per week doesn't seem too outlandish
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: May 04, 2010 10:44:56 am
      Personally I'd go for it, he's available on a free so there is no initial transfer outlay and for the quality of player that he is, within reason what you save on a fee is worth having a punt on his wages, bearing in mind Joe Cole is a good player and can play any where across the midfield and would bring much needed creativity into a side that has lacked it for much of the season.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #7: May 04, 2010 10:50:45 am
      Personally I'd go for it, he's available on a free so there is no initial transfer outlay and for the quality of player that he is, within reason what you save on a fee is worth having a punt on his wages, bearing in mind Joe Cole is a good player and can play any where across the midfield and would bring much needed creativity into a side that has lacked it for much of the season.

If we're being honest though, who's going to want to come to our shambles of a club ATM?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: May 04, 2010 10:53:42 am
      Yeah, he's demanding 120k at Chelsea but (apart from City) he knows that no other team could afford that. If he does leave Chelsea his wage demands won't be just as high.

I think he's a good player but we ain't got a pot to piss in. We'd need to off-load maybe three players to afford him. I would have no problem on that front.
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2010 12:58:35 pm by bad boy bubby »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: May 04, 2010 10:56:54 am

If we're being honest though, who's going to want to come to our shambles of a club ATM?

Who know's ?, by the start of the transfer window there could be new owners in place with funds available to drive the club forward on to the next level.

Personally I think Cole would not be so demanding in his wages to play for another club too, he's asking for parity with some of the clubs highest paid stars at Chelsea something he probably feels he's earned over the course of his stay there.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #10: May 04, 2010 11:25:02 am
      120k a week :laugh: If he reduces his demands by about 40% then maybe.

Ha ha , 120 thousand pounds a week . Is he on smack or something ? Oh that gave me a great laugh .

Reminded me of this..

The Invention of Lying - Edward Norton Cameo
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #11: May 04, 2010 11:40:35 am
      Depends what he wants at the end of the day.

First team football and part of a massive club.

Or money for quick fame.

"Massive" as in 7th in the prem, antique stadium, broke as a joke and "looking forward" to a season in the europa league??? Joe Cole may well be a target for LFC but I very much doubt that LFC is a target for Joe Cole!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: May 04, 2010 11:40:56 am
      Should this Raheem Sterling mentioned in the opening story not be added to the list of confirmed signings???

I'd like to see J.Cole at Anfield. However everyone knows he's not worth 120K/week. Maybe 70/80?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #13: May 04, 2010 11:44:13 am
      I would love to see Joe Cole here but if he wants to play for the money and not for the Liverbird upon his chest, no way.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #14: May 04, 2010 12:00:09 pm
      Should this Raheem Sterling mentioned in the opening story not be added to the list of confirmed signings???

He's already at the club :gt-happyup:
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #15: May 04, 2010 12:11:19 pm
      120k a week for a Chelski rent-boy ? Jog on.
      gironda
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -1 
      Reply #16: May 04, 2010 12:11:34 pm
      If you think that J.Cole is say a £10M player, then over 4 years that's £50K a week - add on the £70K that he could comfortably earn else-where, and £120K per week doesn't seem too outlandish

I agree with this, sort of.

But would we want a tosser that's demands $120k a week?

Or, more to point, would his teammates want a tosser that demands $120k a week?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #17: May 04, 2010 12:15:41 pm
      All things considered and the highly inflated price of English players I'd say he would be a good safe bet on a free transfer, I seen some one put 10 million as his transfer value, I'd be more inclined to think around 15 million given todays market and teh fact that he's English.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #18: May 04, 2010 12:17:53 pm
      It's a tricky one, he's a proven premier league player, something we need more of. He just seem's to be the typical Chelsea scumbag being on ridiculous wages and expects that treatment where ever he goes.

The only upside of this that I can see is that maybe with the prospect of not having a club come next season we might be able to secure him on a cheaper deal. But no doubt someone like City will bowling in and equal or improve his current wage rate. I hate the monster than football has become.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: May 04, 2010 12:23:09 pm
      Two things putting me off.

1. His wage demands - F**k right off.

2. Injury prone - we do not need another injury prone player at this club.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: May 04, 2010 01:22:41 pm
      Good player but I've heard some ridiculous reports like we will build our team around the lad, F**k me are we Hull or Liverpool.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: May 04, 2010 01:29:40 pm
      "Massive" as in 7th in the prem, antique stadium, broke as a joke and "looking forward" to a season in the europa league??? Joe Cole may well be a target for LFC but I very much doubt that LFC is a target for Joe Cole!

:D If you saying Liverpool is not a massive club then jog on, champion.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: May 04, 2010 02:01:29 pm
      Two things putting me off.

1. His wage demands - f**k right off.

2. Injury prone - we do not need another injury prone player at this club.

Two things putting me off this signing.

1. Eccleston

2. Ince

Quick Reply