Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

International friendlies

Read 141290 times
      Bier
      Re: Other International friendlies
      Reply #460: Mar 01, 2012 08:47:04 pm
      Better for the US. Gives them a bit more time to develop Altidore, Agudelo, Adu, and Diskerud.

Did you watch the U-23 game Yank? Gyau on the left wing looks a beast. Like a Raheem Sterling. Was also VERY impressed with Joe Corona. I'm definitely going to have to go watch him play in Tijuana now.
      Wouldn't expect too much from Altidore. Has dissapointed me this season, somehow expected more. But looks to be a lesser talent compared to the other strikers in the Dutch league.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #461: Mar 01, 2012 09:15:51 pm
      Wouldn't expect too much from Altidore. Has dissapointed me this season, somehow expected more. But looks to be a lesser talent compared to the other strikers in the Dutch league.

I don't think he'll ever be the world beater people in the US thought he would be, but 9 goals in 20 Eredivisie games (13 starts, 7 substitutions) is still a pretty decent return. Last night against Italy he really showed good hold up play at times. If he can turn out to be a decent player like Brian McBride was I'm more than happy.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #462: Mar 01, 2012 10:37:36 pm
      We're clearly missing the team dynamic the French have. Check out a goal celebration from last night:

Olivier Giroud kisses Mathieu Debuchy after scoring for France against Germany (29-02-2012) HD
      Bier
      Reply #463: Mar 01, 2012 10:41:56 pm
      I don't think he'll ever be the world beater people in the US thought he would be, but 9 goals in 20 Eredivisie games (13 starts, 7 substitutions) is still a pretty decent return. Last night against Italy he really showed good hold up play at times. If he can turn out to be a decent player like Brian McBride was I'm more than happy.
      Think he played a few more games, but I know his return might look decent. In the light of the club and league he plays at though it isn't good. More is expected of him, and his manager recently spoke out his discontent about his progression, as a result he lost his starting place to Benschop, a player I consider to be average. Talented strikers his age or younger at similar clubs in the Dutch league are involved in double the ammount of goals he is. And then there's the other criticism about him not training well, being lazy, and lacking football intelligence. And he's an expensive player for AZ standards.

He'll should be able to reach the level of McBride though. He didn't have a very impressive club career either.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #464: Mar 01, 2012 10:48:10 pm
      McBride's career is nothing to scoff at based on the talent the USA has produced. He played in the EPL for 5 years, and was probably good enough to play there even before. He also contributed greatly to the national team. His hold up play was excellent.

The US have never really had a good forward. All of our talent has been out wide for a couple generations because we can produce athletes. In 2014, he could be holding the ball up to bring Joe Gyau, Joe Corona and Brek Shea in to play, or laying it off to Mix Diskerud or Sacha Kljestan.

I think my expectation of forwards in the USA aren't too high. Maybe in the next generation, but we've never really produced a consistent goal scorer in Europe. Altidore is really having one of the best seasons for a US striker ever.

F**k you Rossi :D
      Bier
      Reply #465: Mar 01, 2012 11:05:05 pm
      I know he was an important player for your national team, that's why I just mentioned his club career. I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way, but it's just hard for me to be very impressed with a striker on club level who hassn't ever scored more than 10 goals a season in a good league. It's easier to be impressed with a player like Dempsey, in that respect. Maybe it's also because I expected more from Altidore than the career McBride had, I probably fell for the hype.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #466: Mar 01, 2012 11:36:58 pm
      I felt a bit sad last night in the middle of so many people who actually support England... fail after fail must be hard to take. Not that I care though, a team captained by Scott Parker is a failure waiting to happen, and I'm gonna laugh hard when it happens in the Euros.

And I don't really consider any friendly win as a 'huge' result...
      Bier
      Reply #467: Mar 01, 2012 11:42:47 pm
      Were you at Wembley Diego?

You're right about friendlies. The only positive for me to conclude from last night is that Robben isn't in the bad form he seems to have been at his club. England could've end up winning last night though, although I think their goals were a direct result of substitutions like Vlaar and Schaars coming on to play in our defense. Our best defenders are bad enough as it is, their substitutes even worse. But at this point I wouldn't consider us contenders for this summer.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #468: Mar 01, 2012 11:49:31 pm
      Yep I was there! I started the game cheering for England, cause I was in the middle of England fans and everything. But seeing Parker and Barry trying to begin a play in midfield was so depressing that inside I was hoping Holland would win it. I loved Robben's last goal, I couldn't celebrate but I did open a big smile haha
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #469: Mar 01, 2012 11:51:44 pm
      I know he was an important player for your national team, that's why I just mentioned his club career. I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way, but it's just hard for me to be very impressed with a striker on club level who hassn't ever scored more than 10 goals a season in a good league. It's easier to be impressed with a player like Dempsey, in that respect. Maybe it's also because I expected more from Altidore than the career McBride had, I probably fell for the hype.

Don't ever fall for the US hype machine :D We're F***ing experts at it.

I'd prefer if the US produced an out and out goalscorer, but holdup play is important for how the national team tends to play, hence why I loved McBride and I have high hopes for Altidore. I think where he is is about his level.

And 10 goals for a club in the EPL isn't much, but considering the dross the US have put out at the forward position, that's pretty good by comparison :D
      Bier
      Reply #470: Mar 02, 2012 12:08:00 am
      Yep I was there! I started the game cheering for England, cause I was in the middle of England fans and everything. But seeing Parker and Barry trying to begin a play in midfield was so depressing that inside I was hoping Holland would win it. I loved Robben's last goal, I couldn't celebrate but I did open a big smile haha

That's awesome, never been to Wembley. Did you enjoy the game? I thought it wasn't a very good game quality wise. But at least the 2nd half was entertaining. Thought Huntelaar looked really good coming on compared to Van Persie. Still baffles me why Van Persie isn't able to perform for the national team.

Don't ever fall for the US hype machine :D We're f**king experts at it.

I'd prefer if the US produced an out and out goalscorer, but holdup play is important for how the national team tends to play, hence why I loved McBride and I have high hopes for Altidore. I think where he is is about his level.

And 10 goals for a club in the EPL isn't much, but considering the dross the US have put out at the forward position, that's pretty good by comparison :D

That's something that should improve for Altidore. It's one of the reasons he's criticised here, he isn't that good on the ball, doesn't get involved with play enough, doesn't set up much for others. It's obvious he doesn't have the background that Dutch strikers have, the Dutch are used to playing possession football. He has that against him, he lacks some things that are appreciated here, just scoring goals isn't enough. So he should improve there, he'll need to.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #471: Mar 02, 2012 09:57:01 am
      But at this point I wouldn't consider us contenders for this summer.

I'd consider you serious contenders. Your defense isnt the best, but it's far, far from the worst. Two great CM's in De Long & VB. Then you get to business. A top 4 of real quality & you have plenty of options. Only the Germans & Spanish come close. Of course football isnt played on paper, but if it was you are without doubt semi finalists.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #472: May 11, 2012 04:36:41 pm
      Luis Suarez and Sebastian Coates called up for the upcomming international friendly between Uruguay and Russia on the 25th May. The have also been called up to face Venezuela and Peru on the 2014 qualifyers, on the 2nd and 10th of June, so they will be training with the national squad for all of that period

Also, this is still unconfirmed, Luis will be called up as one of the over 23 players to play at London. Sebastian is U23 so he is surely being called. Its up to KK to decide if he lets him play (the Scum have not allowed Hernandez do this)
      Bier
      Reply #473: May 22, 2012 06:48:21 pm
      Netherlands playing against Bayern Munich tonight in Munich. Bit of a farce really, the friendly was arranged because of the dispute between Bayern and the Dutch FA after the injury of Robben at the World Cup. After the CL final especially both teams don't even want to play. And Robben is contractually obliged to make minutes, just days after he played the final there. Although I doubt we'll see many other regulars start at either team, but should be a good time for Van Marwijk to let some of the alternative options get time before making his definitive selection.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #474: May 23, 2012 08:37:44 pm
      Shinji Kagawa and Shinji Okazaki, ;D, both scored for Japan in a 2-0 win over Azerbaijan.

Honda, Kagawa and Miyaichi looked really good. Miyaichi made his debut.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #475: May 23, 2012 09:17:16 pm
      Shinji Kagawa and Shinji Okazaki, ;D, both scored for Japan in a 2-0 win over Azerbaijan.

Honda, Kagawa and Miyaichi looked really good. Miyaichi made his debut.
      I too would look good if i played Azerbaijan ;)
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #476: May 25, 2012 07:52:22 pm
      Luis' goal in a 1-1 draw with Russia:

Suarez Goal Vs Russia Friendly 1 - 0
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #477: May 26, 2012 07:36:17 pm
      Gerrard, Carroll and Downing (:f_doh:) starts for England.

Kelly and Henderson on the bench. Where's Glen?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #478: May 27, 2012 10:26:05 am
      USA 5 - 1 Scotland :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #479: May 27, 2012 09:33:30 pm

USA looked impressive last night.
      BroganHill16
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #480: May 29, 2012 02:59:41 pm
      Should be a good match tonight between USA and Brazil. Kick-Off at 1am GMT
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #481: May 30, 2012 11:20:38 pm
      USA looked impressive last night.

Scotland was dire as well. I love that Klinsmann played Torres. He is the most technically gifted player the US has had in ages (besides Adu, who has way too many other issues).
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #482: May 31, 2012 12:46:01 am
      Just watching the build-up to USA vs Brazil on ESPN. Can't decide whether or not the U.S coverage is annoying or whether or not the UK media should try adopt the U.S style. It's a bit odd.

Quick Reply