Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096057 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #7797: Jun 25, 2015 09:03:35 pm
      When RAFA was told to lose weight he replied, OK I will get rid of Ronaldo. :f_tongueincheek:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7798: Jun 26, 2015 04:29:16 pm
      Lots of talk in the Brendan thread about the "minimum" requirement. Just wondering and this is one for the Rafa fan club really, what do you think is HIS minimum standard for this season?

My take is that it will be hard to displace Barcelona as league champions unless Messi gets banned for tax evasion or something equally out of left field. As such and even if we accept that, with the squad Madrid have they really ought to be able to push Barca very close and must surely be able to finish second? I know Athletico have their best team for years, but there really is no comparison in terms of squad.

The Spanish Cup depends on how seriously they all take it over there (I genuinely don't know/have no interest) but I would expect Madrid to go well in the Champions League. They reached the semi last season, won it the season before that and have a squad of fantastic players so I would expect them to at least reach the same level as last time.

So what do you all reckon, what's Benitez's minimum standard at Madrid? Obviously it's something of a moot point as he could win the treble and still get sacked at that club, but just for fun like.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7799: Jun 26, 2015 04:31:37 pm
      Lots of talk in the Brendan thread about the "minimum" requirement. Just wondering and this is one for the Rafa fan club really, what do you think is HIS minimum standard for this season?

My take is that it will be hard to displace Barcelona as league champions unless Messi gets banned for tax evasion or something equally out of left field. As such and even if we accept that, with the squad Madrid have they really ought to be able to push Barca very close and must surely be able to finish second? I know Athletico have their best team for years, but there really is no comparison in terms of squad.

The Spanish Cup depends on how seriously they all take it over there (I genuinely don't know/have no interest) but I would expect Madrid to go well in the Champions League. They reached the semi last season, won it the season before that and have a squad of fantastic players so I would expect them to at least reach the same level as last time.

So what do you all reckon, what's Benitez's minimum standard at Madrid? Obviously it's something of a moot point as he could win the treble and still get sacked at that club, but just for fun like.

Cup run and Champions League.
      Can't see anyone in Europe matching Barcelona's fire power right now.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #7800: Jun 26, 2015 04:39:12 pm
      Top four spot and a decent run in the CL. Can't expect too much too soon, especially with the hardships he'll have to endure.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #7801: Jun 26, 2015 05:07:46 pm
      Top four spot and a decent run in the CL. Can't expect too much too soon, especially with the hardships he'll have to endure.

Grateful that so many can take an optimistic slant  on the coming season, glad also that our man will have the opportunity to F**k his detractors right off.
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2015 05:24:01 pm by stuey »
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #7802: Jun 26, 2015 05:22:45 pm
      Grateful that so many can take an optimistic slant for the oncoming season, glad also that our man will have the opportunity to f**k his detractors right off.

Haha I was taking the p!ss. I reckon he'll do well there and that as a minimum they ought to challenge for the title and reach the CL semis. Not really my team though so....
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #7803: Jun 26, 2015 05:43:27 pm
      Haha I was taking the p!ss. I reckon he'll do well there and that as a minimum they ought to challenge for the title and reach the CL semis. Not really my team though so....

Our man can't spell impossible.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7804: Jun 26, 2015 05:55:58 pm
      A lot of the fans didn't want him, and I'm sure they are still not happy with the appointment, so Rafa will have to win either the La Liga or CL, otherwise, I think he'll be gone.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7805: Jun 26, 2015 06:11:37 pm
      A lot of the fans didn't want him, and I'm sure they are still not happy with the appointment, so Rafa will have to win either the La Liga or CL, otherwise, I think he'll be gone.

Be gone like his predecessors so there's no shame when it happens.

Think a Rafa will nullify the threat of Barca & win the title in his maiden season with a cup along the way & you can't subtract Europe with Rafa especially with the squad at his disposal.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7806: Jun 26, 2015 06:21:10 pm
      Be gone like his predecessors so there's no shame when it happens.

Think a Rafa will nullify the threat of Barca & win the title in his maiden season with a cup along the way & you can't subtract Europe with Rafa especially with the squad at his disposal.

It really will be interesting to see how Rafa does with a team full of world class players. Can't wait and hope he proves his doubters wrong!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7807: Jun 26, 2015 06:26:43 pm
      It really will be interesting to see how Rafa does with a team full of world class players. Can't wait and hope he proves his doubters wrong!

It won't settle the debate though. Even if Rafa completely bombs out of Real Madrid, excuses will be made for him. Likewise from the other side, if he wins every trophy this season, it'll all be about Real buying titles.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7808: Jun 26, 2015 06:38:17 pm
      It won't settle the debate though. Even if Rafa completely bombs out of Real Madrid, excuses will be made for him. Likewise from the other side, if he wins every trophy this season, it'll all be about Real buying titles.

I'm Rafa's biggest supporter, if he fails to win fuckall with Madrid then he is to solely blame.

I think Rafa will do better than Maureeniho :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7809: Jun 26, 2015 09:23:28 pm

Mick any club and manager in the world would have one hell of a task to knock Barcelona off their perch but I would not write RAFA off. With Real Madrid's history of getting rid of managers I am sure RAFA is well aware of the task ahead.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7810: Jun 27, 2015 04:51:30 pm
      How many years since he brought back a league title again?

He could easily be 10 points or more behind Barcelona by Christmas (if not earlier) and heading for the door. Real don't give coaches 6 years to bring home the bacon like we do. Finishing in the top 4 won't be much help at a place where you finish first or finish nowhere.

Of course that will cut no ice with his personal fanbase. To them, his failure will be down to an ageing/temperamental squad who didn't respect him. These same players who have won multiple titles and trophies with other coaches at the club.

All someone else's fault again.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #7811: Jun 27, 2015 05:28:37 pm

He could easily be 10 points or more behind Barcelona by Christmas (if not earlier) and heading for the door. Real don't give coaches 6 years to bring home the bacon like we do. Finishing in the top 4 won't be much help at a place where you finish first or finish nowhere.

Of course that will cut no ice with his personal fanbase. To them, his failure will be down to an ageing/temperamental squad who didn't respect him. These same players who have won multiple titles and trophies with other coaches at the club.

Let's see how he gets on with a squad that has won multiple trophies as opposed to a team of players past their better days, before nailing him to the cross.
      He hasn't got a single game under his belt and you are talking about allotting blame.
      Give us a F***ing break.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7812: Jun 27, 2015 05:32:13 pm

Seriously mate, Rafa take a w*nk in your curry?, I can't understand why you would single him out.

What has our current manager won in 3 years spending sh*t loads of cash too?.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7813: Jun 27, 2015 05:39:55 pm
      Seriously mate, Rafa take a w*nk in your curry?, I can't understand why you would single him out.

What has our current manager won in 3 years spending sh*t loads of cash too?.

Ah come on shabs, defending our previous manager by having a dig at the current manager?

I love Rafa but you could've put some effort in and not singled Brendan out and taken the opportunity to have a laugh at allardyces expense.

;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7814: Jun 27, 2015 05:41:34 pm

As for you, 'all someone else's fault again'?

People like you make me want Rafa back just so it pisses you off.

Soz Brendan.  :P
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #7815: Jul 19, 2015 09:02:58 am
      Here's something we can all agree on

Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ96 15h15 hours ago

Rafa Benitez's wife has donated £11,500 for Merseyside children to go to Disneyland. Benitez family will never be forgotten. Class act. #lfc
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #7816: Jul 19, 2015 09:57:05 am

Rafa Benitez's wife has donated £11,500 for Merseyside children to go to Disneyland. Benitez family will never be forgotten. Class act. #lfc

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/montse-benitezs-charity-donation-sees-9681218

Angel of Kindness indeed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7817: Jul 19, 2015 11:53:19 pm

As has been said,
      always a class act.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7818: Jul 20, 2015 01:24:55 am

I love Montse. What a great lady.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7819: Jul 20, 2015 01:31:16 am
      Pure class, nothing but love for them both.

YNWA.

Quick Reply