Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096127 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #6992: Nov 19, 2014 06:28:13 pm
      Sorted that shabs.
      If they humiliated and sacked Kenny Dalglish what kind of managerial tenureship if any would Rafael Benitez have to endure?
      He is precisely the mould of manager that FSG do not want, a man who has his own ideas of success on the field and the manner of it's achievement.
      His unbending commitment would see him at odds with the commercial model the owners promote and support.
      There could possibly be a backroom roll for our man if he can lower his self esteemt levels, grow a beard and change his name, other than that not a dog's chance of a start under these particular Americans.

FSG might soon realize the kind of man they don't want is the kind of man they need if they're to get any of that on field success that they're allegedly interested in.

Hypothetically of course, I don't feel very comfortable speaking as if a current Liverpool manager has been given the boot when he's still very much in charge.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #6993: Nov 20, 2014 11:40:24 am
      FSG might soon realize the kind of man they don't want is the kind of man they need if they're to get any of that on field success that they're allegedly interested in.

Allegedly is the perfect qualification of the word 'interested' mate.
      Paradoxically qualification is exactly what our owners lack to invoke any genuine interest in LFC.

Hypothetically of course, I don't feel very comfortable speaking as if a current Liverpool manager has been given the boot when he's still very much in charge.

As ever there is the anti-LFC campaign by the usual culprits who think they scent blood in the club's tribulations; while not entirely of the manager's doing the various media outlets will attempt to undermine him to the detriment of course of LFC, it is a well tried and to be honest infantile tactic - amazingly there are people who are taking the hook.
      The predictable fuckwits are made up with the bollox but there are people who have gone through the mill with this club and are wavering on the side of doubt, banish such thoughts and don't let these fuckers drag you down. 

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6994: Nov 23, 2014 08:09:06 pm
      If he were available and we were looking for a new manager Rafa would be the ideal candidate.

He won the Chavs a trophy & got them qualified for 4th when the Chavs were in free fall with only 1 player given to him Demba Ba, that alone proves the quality of the man, let alone winning the CL with Traore in the squad :D

They were 3rd in the league when he went there mate. I mean we can have a sensible debate all day long about how he did (FWIW I think he did a decent job in difficult circumstances) but lets at least try and keep claims somewhere in the ballpark of truth, otherwise it simply descends into the farcical.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #6995: Nov 23, 2014 09:18:33 pm
      They were 3rd in the league when he went there mate. I mean we can have a sensible debate all day long about how he did (FWIW I think he did a decent job in difficult circumstances) but lets at least try and keep claims somewhere in the ballpark of truth, otherwise it simply descends into the farcical.

The point is Mick, Rafa has never had an open chequebook like Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola to some extent. Even at Chelsea and Inter he was brought in to manage a difficult transition and given no transfer budget because they know he can do it but you wont win that way; not the league anyway. The clubs that buy the league titles.. do just that..managers like Ancelotti, Mourinho etc are just experienced in the type of atmosphere that surounds that farce. Those clubs win anyway. Rafa is a genius Mick. He made Liverpool feared in Europe, won La Liga twice with Valencia. CL (2 finals) 2 Europa's FA cup Italian Cup etc. If he wins the league with Napoli he will be no better than he already is. His record is outstanding. As for Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola ..like Arbeloa said you can never divorce them from the squads they managed.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #6996: Nov 28, 2014 10:25:54 am
      ;D.

When you say "we weren't good enough over 38 games" you are using weasel words - we had demonstrably the best attack and the 8th best defence - like i said we didn't lose the title because we weren't "attacking enough". If you had any clue about how to actually win a league you would find countless examples of league champions with Rafa's strategy of being canny, ruthless and hard to beat. You will struggle to find many examples of teams who were able to blow the opponent away by scoring more goals than them whilst being relatively open at the back - unless you'd care to name them?

And, as usual, you fail to get any of the priorities right in your post - a classic sign of someone who doesn't have the first clue about the problem at hand. Attacking football? fantastic. Great media relations? Wonderful. Not falling out with the owners? Commendable - but all secondary to the priority which is winning the league - which as you gleefully point out Rafa did not do here. However, he DID win La Liga, twice, beating Barca and Real and completing a domestic / UEFA cup double - a phenomenal achievement; he has more than proven he knows how to "crack the egg" yet for some bizarre reason you discount it. We came close in 2009 but fell short mainly because injury kept Stevie and Torres from playing many games together. He has had to completely rebuild and reshape the team in Napoli in his first season and has done a good job winning silverware and coming 3rd. The "wad of cash" you are referring to is from selling the league's standout player whilst we kpt Suarez and spent a wad of cash on top. You probably need reminding where we were at the end of Brendan's first season in charge. Let's see what happens next season - hopefully we will see progression from both managers although I expect you to get your excuses in early if we don't take the final step next time.

Awfully quiet aren't you LFCATW?

Those 86 points Rafa put together with his "defensive" football are looking pretty valuable now aren't they?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6997: Nov 28, 2014 12:14:41 pm
      Certainly haven't been as good defensively under any of his replacements so far. I remember when we went 11 games without conceding at one point in his time with us
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6998: Nov 28, 2014 12:21:06 pm
      Certainly haven't been as good defensively under any of his replacements so far. I remember when we went 11 games without conceding at one point in his time with us

Build from the back.
      Not exactly rocket science and yet a succession of managers seem to have forgotten this.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #6999: Nov 28, 2014 03:34:24 pm
      Could do with some Zonal Marking tips.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7000: Nov 28, 2014 08:27:19 pm
      Could do with some Zonal Marking tips.

The ones that got the blame every time we conceded a goal?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #7001: Nov 28, 2014 08:45:03 pm
      Shame about Rafa, must be tough managing abroad without your family with you.

I don't envisage a time when he will manage Liverpool again - I realise there is arguably unfinished business on his part, but the fans demands of getting him back - what with Kenny in the last few years - shows a club that is intent on looking backwards rather than looking forward.

Resting on our laurels is why we struggle to keep up with the other big clubs.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7002: Nov 28, 2014 08:56:45 pm
      The ones that got the blame every time we conceded a goal?

Hey zonal marking is better than no marking! :laugh:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7003: Dec 07, 2014 11:53:45 pm
      Quote from Hollywood Balls4
      Awfully quiet aren't you LFCATW?

Those 86 points Rafa put together with his "defensive" football are looking pretty valuable now aren't they?

Won a league title yet? 86 points might be valuable then.

In other news, Robbie Keane, one of the PL and international football's highest goalscorers, and the man who scored 7 goals here trying to adapt to the idea of controlling the game rather than winning it, has just won MVP in MLS, to go with his two other league titles across the pond, and still in contention for more.

He was one of the many players/backroom staff ostracised, badly treated, and/or dismissed from the club during the 6 years. But in all my years supporting the club, I have never come across a player treated by any LFC coach the way he was, and it was the end of the line for me regarding Rafa.

In the years since, one of them has gone on to win more titles and honours showing why he should have never left, while the other trundles in at least 20 points off the pace on an annual basis. You don't need slow mos and scratchpads to work out which one is which.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #7004: Dec 08, 2014 10:32:57 am
      Won a league title yet? 86 points might be valuable then.

In other news, Robbie Keane, one of the PL and international football's highest goalscorers, and the man who scored 7 goals here trying to adapt to the idea of controlling the game rather than winning it, has just won MVP in MLS, to go with his two other league titles across the pond, and still in contention for more.

He was one of the many players/backroom staff ostracised, badly treated, and/or dismissed from the club during the 6 years. But in all my years supporting the club, I have never come across a player treated by any LFC coach the way he was, and it was the end of the line for me regarding Rafa.

In the years since, one of them has gone on to win more titles and honours showing why he should have never left, while the other trundles in at least 20 points off the pace on an annual basis. You don't need slow mos and scratchpads to work out which one is which.

But you were predicting Brendan would be winning the league by concentrating on the attack rather than the defence were you not? Rafa had won the Champion's League, FA cup and got to another CL final by now - oh well there's still time for your prediction to come true this season, tick tock tick tock..... 8)

And Robbie Keane? Are you being serious? The MLS is a backwater joke league - the footballers there are at the fag end of their career making money. If Robbie Keane was so great why did Spurs spend between 12 and 16 million pound sbringing him back then f**k him off to Celtic within a year? No doubt that was Rafa's fault too - perhaps he was using a remote control?

Your obsession with Rafa is just weird; he set the team up for success - if Keane had taken the chance he was given whilst he was here we would have won the league that season - but he bottled it like he has bottled it whenever he has played at the top level. He's a bottler and we were lucky to get the money back for him that we did.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #7005: Dec 08, 2014 09:37:36 pm

What's your point? He didn't win jack sh*t in England so pretty much a void point, Paul Konchesky could go play for LA Galaxy and win league titles and be up there as MVP.

Come back when you can say Keane has won a Premier League title or a Champions League title. Something that with no disrespect to any American's on here, has a bit of prestige about it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7006: Dec 08, 2014 09:39:26 pm
      What's your point? He didn't win jack sh*t in England so pretty much a void point, Paul Konchesky could go play for LA Galaxy and win league titles and be up there as MVP.
      No he couldn't

Come back when you can say Keane has won a Premier League title or a Champions League title. Something that with no disrespect to any American's on here, has a bit of prestige about it.

None taken ;)
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #7007: Dec 09, 2014 05:09:37 am
      It's weird how our current manager is supposed to be the teacher who's great with kids and all, but I can't help but imagine they need someone like Rafa to come along and really TEACH them. I know it's pretty unfair to compare such a seasoned manager to a man who is still young and learning but I have just found myself wondering, what are BR's strengths? Probably not the thread for it.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7008: Dec 10, 2014 07:53:47 pm
      just seen the highlights of Olympiakos form 10 years ago yes 10 years ago WOW.
      How did he manage to get players like Mellor,Pongolle and Traore to a CL final and then win it.
      Love to see him back here but I just don't see it whilst FSG are in charge great memories and special times at Anfield he made us famous again
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7009: Dec 10, 2014 07:54:46 pm
      It's weird how our current manager is supposed to be the teacher who's great with kids and all, but I can't help but imagine they need someone like Rafa to come along and really TEACH them. I know it's pretty unfair to compare such a seasoned manager to a man who is still young and learning but I have just found myself wondering, what are BR's strengths? Probably not the thread for it.

I doubt Rafa needs a power-point presentation to impress anyone he can just show them his CV
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7010: Dec 11, 2014 12:09:18 am
      Quote from Hollywood Balls
      But you were predicting Brendan would be winning the league by concentrating on the attack rather than the defence were you not? Rafa had won the Champion's League, FA cup and got to another CL final by now - oh well there's still time for your prediction to come true this season, tick tock tick tock..... 8)

And Robbie Keane? Are you being serious? The MLS is a backwater joke league - the footballers there are at the fag end of their career making money. If Robbie Keane was so great why did Spurs spend between 12 and 16 million pound sbringing him back then f**k him off to Celtic within a year? No doubt that was Rafa's fault too - perhaps he was using a remote control?

Your obsession with Rafa is just weird; he set the team up for success - if Keane had taken the chance he was given whilst he was here we would have won the league that season - but he bottled it like he has bottled it whenever he has played at the top level. He's a bottler and we were lucky to get the money back for him that we did.

It doesn't make any difference what league he's in tbh, we sign players playing in leagues across the world every year. The facts are he has scored at every level of the game from Wolves to the World Cup Finals, as he continues to do so. So getting him here was a difficult task and he didn't come cheap. He scored 7 in a side then struggling to score goals and win games, especially at home. He would easily have hit 15-20 that season if he got more than 12 games playing time and in all probability get us over the line. Instead, he was sold with the shops shut, and getting 86 points wasn't enough in the end so the wait went on.

As for Brendan, he mounted a title challenge in half the time with much more attractive football, far less resources, much tighter transfer budgets, without throwing teacups round the boardroom and spitting blood at the press every 5 minutes at something else he didn't get.

We won 16 home league games last year, so it wasn't his fault that 84 points wasn't enough to end the famine either.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #7011: Dec 11, 2014 05:39:05 am

True but I remember him setting up so defensive against the likes of Portsmouth, same system no matter what team we played in the end. I also remember going one nil down time and again at around 70 mins then the players being let off the leash and the last 20 being like the Alamo, and me thinking why can't we start like this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #7012: Dec 11, 2014 10:09:08 am
      True but I remember him setting up so defensive against the likes of Portsmouth, same system no matter what team we played in the end. I also remember going one nil down time and again at around 70 mins then the players being let off the leash and the last 20 being like the Alamo, and me thinking why can't we start like this.

Surely not on about the time we stuffed 4 past Portsmouth
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7013: Dec 11, 2014 12:09:02 pm
      I don't think it would be good for him to come back the press would be on his case from day one.
      But who wouldn't want all those incredible nights at Anfield again taking us to NUMBER ONE IN EUROPE .
      In 07/08 I think we scored more than 100 goals in the season dispelling his defensive coach tag.
      We had him we lost him and I am worried they would do the same thing to him as they did to Kenny and that still really annoys me.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #7014: Dec 11, 2014 01:17:27 pm
      Personally I would welcome him here.

Quick Reply