Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1100772 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #8050: Nov 23, 2015 09:57:13 pm
      ther biggest load of trouble making bollox I have ever seen on this forum complete and utter sh*t stirrer

Not sure where Mick got the idea that there was a Rafa cult on this forum   

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8051: Nov 23, 2015 10:15:35 pm
      Absolutely, don't be surprised though if we lose a match and Benitez is out of work if there aren't none too subtle hints from some forum dwellers about replacing the current manager with him. Your point about the Inter Milan "no limits in this regard" are on the money too. For some on here it goes far beyond "wanting him to do well" and the like, for some it's practically a cult worship whereby there are absolutely no circumstances whasoever where their man could be even 1% to blame for anything.

mick - I love Rafa and all he did for our club but even if he was my dad, there would be no way I or any other Liverpool supporter would entertain such thoughts unless they were stone cold mental.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8052: Nov 23, 2015 10:15:48 pm

:lmao:

The daft part about it is, (and this is the bit which just gets lost) for everyone on the forum with the probable exception of the "LFC accross the water" fella, there is nothing but decent feelings towards Benitez. He did a pretty good job at Liverpool, he seems like a nice enough fella and to be totally honest as I don't follow Spanish football I couldn't really give a flying f*ck either way. The bit which has always made me chuckle is how some people completely lose the plot when discussing him, either in the sense of throwing insults around to anyone who doesn't agree he's the messiah, or by lining up a truly ridiculous list of excuses if it ever goes wrong for him. They are so keen to get the excuses in they start racking them up long BEFORE IT'S EVEN GONE WRONG, this weekend being a classic example. They've lost one match albeit heavily, but it was to a pretty spectacular opponent and I don't think it's over for them by any means.

The other funny bit is the very people who pile up the excuses before they're even needed, are the very same posters who jump the gun and predict World domination whenever their man gets a new job. They are the very same posters who were in this thread a few weeks back predicting a quadruple or something equally daft simply because Real Madrid had beaten Eibar or Getafe or some other non-entity 6-0 or whatever it was.

The reality of course is that Madrid are still very much in contention for ALL the trophies they set out to win before the season started. They probably will win a couple of them, the manager doesn't need any excuses. 

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8053: Nov 23, 2015 10:35:15 pm
      :lmao:

The daft part about it is, (and this is the bit which just gets lost) for everyone on the forum with the probable exception of the "LFC accross the water" fella, there is nothing but decent feelings towards Benitez. He did a pretty good job at Liverpool, he seems like a nice enough fella and to be totally honest as I don't follow Spanish football I couldn't really give a flying f*ck either way. The bit which has always made me chuckle is how some people completely lose the plot when discussing him, either in the sense of throwing insults around to anyone who doesn't agree he's the messiah, or by lining up a truly ridiculous list of excuses if it ever goes wrong for him. They are so keen to get the excuses in they start racking them up long BEFORE IT'S EVEN GONE WRONG, this weekend being a classic example. They've lost one match albeit heavily, but it was to a pretty spectacular opponent and I don't think it's over for them by any means.

The other funny bit is the very people who pile up the excuses before they're even needed, are the very same posters who jump the gun and predict World domination whenever their man gets a new job. They are the very same posters who were in this thread a few weeks back predicting a quadruple or something equally daft simply because Real Madrid had beaten Eibar or Getafe or some other non-entity 6-0 or whatever it was.

The reality of course is that Madrid are still very much in contention for ALL the trophies they set out to win before the season started. They probably will win a couple of them, the manager doesn't need any excuses. 

If they win any way the manager doesn't need excuses or shouldn't get any credit surely. Perez said there is a campaign against him, and maybe it is unfortunate for Rafa to be there at this time. He brought Rafa in because he thought Ancellottis methods were outdated, i.e he didn't use the resources so as the team were fresh for the second half of the season. He basically man managed a squad. Rafawas brought in to update that approach but it looks like the players won't respond to tracking back. Mourinho managed to achieve this of some players but in reality it never really flew for him even with major backing. Rafa doesn't delve into the behavioural sciences he expects the players to do what they are told. It isn't working. So maybe a few of us were a bit naïve about what it tskes for success at Madrid. However as they have won one CL in about 13 years and 1 league in the past 7 I don't think many have an idea about success there. Given Atleitico have won the same amount of titles and also been in the same number of CL finals. So maybe yes Mick we were all a bit over optimistic about Rafa given the recent history of Madrid. However, F**k Ronaldo off, get Pepe, Casemiro and Arbeloa out there and he could yet turn it around.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #8054: Nov 23, 2015 10:42:47 pm
      Reading the so called laundry list of excuses Mick is a bit like reading your posts in the Rodgers thread the last 12 months of his tenure.

Whilst I am a huge fan of Benitez he got it wrong on the weekend and admitted so no excuses can be made for that. However it isn't the worst defeat and managers much preferred by some of our fan base (Mourinho and Pellegrini) suffered a lot heavier in the same fixture Mourinho losing 5-0 and Pellegrini 6-2.

Simple for me if Rafa does not win the league or  CL he should be marched out, double edged sword for him he still could be marched out if he does and as I said before when he took on the job it is a lose lose scenario for him if he wins all in front of him people will say it was Ancelotti's team full of superstars and he will not be given credit or recognition regardless.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8055: Nov 23, 2015 11:54:31 pm
      The problem for Rafa is not that he has lost a big game, but whether the players have turned against him. If they have he could be in real trouble unless he can find a way to win them back quickly.

I don't think it will be much of a problem in the CL because the players will be eager to progress in that competition, but they may well stop giving 100% if they see the league as lost.

The rumours of the "no 10" nickname for Rafa and Ronaldo's rumoured threats doesn't bode well.   

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8056: Nov 24, 2015 12:13:06 am
      The problem for Rafa is not that he has lost a big game, but whether the players have turned against him. If they have he could be in real trouble unless he can find a way to win them back quickly.

I don't think it will be much of a problem in the CL because the players will be eager to progress in that competition, but they may well stop giving 100% if they see the league as lost.

The rumours of the "no 10" nickname for Rafa and Ronaldo's rumoured threats doesn't bode well.   

But how can he turn them around. If there is a 'campaign' against Perez as stated in Marca, then Rafa will be part of that. The players will sense the instability and they will be thinking already about the next phase of Madrid. Two things may help Rafa, the fact that Ronaldo is not popular there either and that Ramos may be out for a month. I think he should get as many of those players who are professional or not superstars like Casemiro, Arbeloa, Jese, Nacho and use them with a smattering of the talent. I would phase Ronaldo out. Its the only way, may as well be hung for a sheep. I think players like Isco and Benzema (provided hes not in the clink) would perform. Also Marcelo, Pepe and Varane and Modric. Get those guys playing. It Ronaldo or James etc don't want to track back piss them off.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #8057: Nov 24, 2015 12:34:43 am

What's the 'no 10' nickname all aba Saint?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8058: Nov 24, 2015 12:44:26 am
      What's the 'no 10' nickname all aba Saint?

Its irony from the players at Madrid who say Rafa was never a top player but he gives advice to Ronaldo, Modric etc. on how to play.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #8059: Nov 24, 2015 05:35:23 am
      Looking at this thread, it would suggest that Real Madrid has lost 4-0 for the first time in their history.

Season 10-11 - Real lost 0-5 to Barca. Guess who the manager was.

It's a shame people are ready to throw him in a pit just 12 games into the season.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8060: Nov 24, 2015 06:27:25 am
      But how can he turn them around.

Rafa could try to emulate Jürgen and start hugging his players and laughing a lot.

He could follow Morinho and just buy a new team of players.

He could take the Brendan approach and praise the players character and enthuse over how well the players played and how proud he is even though they lost.

Or just take the Ferguson way, kick Ronaldo in the face and say “Who's the daddy? I am the F***ing daddy now!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8061: Nov 24, 2015 06:45:44 am
      Rafa could try to emulate Jürgen and start hugging his players and laughing a lot.

He could follow Morinho and just buy a new team of players.

He could take the Brendan approach and praise the players character and enthuse over how well the players played and how proud he is even though they lost.

Or just take the Ferguson way, kick Ronaldo in the face and say “Who's the daddy? I am the f**king daddy now!
      I think option 4 is the one I would go for. I can't imagine Rafa hugging the players it wouldn't work. I don't think he could begin to say that was a good performance. Who else is left to buy?

I don't  understand the man management sides of things. These people get millions to do a job. Listen to the managers plans and carry it out on the pitch. F*ck me if my team lost it would be because of tactics or personnel not because they didn't do what was asked because once I'd ascertained they weren't just thick they would be gone.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8062: Nov 24, 2015 07:00:01 am
      I think option 4 is the one I would go for. I can't imagine Rafa hugging the players it wouldn't work. I don't think he could begin to say that was a good performance. Who else is left to buy?

I don't  understand the man management sides of things. These people get millions to do a job. Listen to the managers plans and carry it out on the pitch. F*ck me if my team lost it would be because of tactics or personnel not because they didn't do what was asked because once I'd ascertained they weren't just thick they would be gone.

The problem is that nowadays it is not enough for a manager to just build a successful team, the top players want their own career and profile to be enhanced as well. Ronaldo wants to score lots of goals, break records, win the the ballon d'or and win trophies while making a fortune from sponsors. Ask him to track back and he just sees that as limiting his chances to score goals, take the glory and add to his fame. A manager has to try to convince players that not only will they win games by following his instructions but that the players career will be boosted too.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #8063: Nov 24, 2015 08:49:42 am
      Quote from bigmick
      The daft part about it is, The bit which has always made me chuckle is how some people completely lose the plot when discussing him, either in the sense of throwing insults around to anyone who doesn't agree he's the messiah, or by lining up a truly ridiculous list of excuses if it ever goes wrong for him. They are so keen to get the excuses in they start racking them up long BEFORE IT'S EVEN GONE WRONG, this weekend being a classic example. They've lost one match albeit heavily, but it was to a pretty spectacular opponent and I don't think it's over for them by any means.

It's in fact two games in a row he's lost, and Atletico are ahead of Real again.

The result against the pighead throwers is the equivalent of us losing 0-4 at home to the mancs. If it ever came about, there would be ructions, demands for resignations and sackings, and rightly so. His tactics, his style of play, his controlling the game philosophy was found out in one of the biggest games in world football.

Of course, as what usually happens in these situations, the buck was passed on to some other lackey. When people finished blaming the players, they had a few shots at Perez, as if he was some sort of G&H conman. This is the man who has brought world class players to the club, the European Cup, and the World Club Cup, and was left to take the flak rather than the man responsible for the result on the sideline.

Real's squad is a galactico mix of superstars steaming with medallists at club and international level. Most of them won the European Cup at Real Madrid, many won the league and cup there. In a two team league, it shouldn't be all that difficult to get them to win more titles. Unfortunately, put Benitez in charge and it becomes a Herculean task. I said at the start of the season that appointing him was the surrender of the title, and nothing I've seen/heard so far suggests otherwise. Chances are he'll be back on the Wirral soon enough.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #8064: Nov 24, 2015 08:57:55 am
      It's in fact two games in a row he's lost, and Atletico are ahead of Real again.

The result against the pighead throwers is the equivalent of us losing 0-4 at home to the mancs. If it ever came about, there would be ructions, demands for resignations and sackings, and rightly so. His tactics, his style of play, his controlling the game philosophy was found out in one of the biggest games in world football.

Of course, as what usually happens in these situations, the buck was passed on to some other lackey. When people finished blaming the players, they had a few shots at Perez, as if he was some sort of G&H conman. This is the man who has brought world class players to the club, the European Cup, and the World Club Cup, and was left to take the flak rather than the man responsible for the result on the sideline.

Real's squad is a galactico mix of superstars steaming with medallists at club and international level. Most of them won the European Cup at Real Madrid, many won the league and cup there. In a two team league, it shouldn't be all that difficult to get them to win more titles. Unfortunately, put Benitez in charge and it becomes a Herculean task. I said at the start of the season that appointing him was the surrender of the title, and nothing I've seen/heard so far suggests otherwise. Chances are he'll be back on the Wirral soon enough.

You really don't rate him at all, do you?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,193 posts | 1205 
      Reply #8065: Nov 24, 2015 11:09:24 am
      You really don't rate him at all, do you?

P!ssed in his cornflakes, shat on his toast and shagged his missus.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8066: Nov 24, 2015 12:14:28 pm

no just F***ing idiots who bring in Jürgen being replaced by Rafa that is just too stupid for words.
      Their has been a level of goodwill on the forum since Jürgen came in why would any sane person want to change that.
      As for cult did you ever see that game in Istanbul?????.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8067: Nov 24, 2015 01:15:48 pm
      no just f**king idiots who bring in Jürgen being replaced by Rafa that is just too stupid for words.
      Their has been a level of goodwill on the forum since Jürgen came in why would any sane person want to change that.

I'm not going to get dragged into any arguments Walt. My post was meant to be funny, if you didn't see the joke fair enough.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8068: Nov 24, 2015 01:16:19 pm
      no just f**king idiots who bring in Jürgen being replaced by Rafa that is just too stupid for words.

Too stupid for words I agree, but that WON'T stop someone suggesting it at a later date. They'll probably be a "f****** idiot".  We'll have to wait and see  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8069: Nov 24, 2015 01:39:39 pm
      I'm not going to get dragged into any arguments Walt. My post was meant to be funny, if you didn't see the joke fair enough.

wasnt aimed at you mate I was questioning why anyone with half a brain would think that we who love Rafa would want him here instead of Jürgen.
      Too stupid for words I agree, but that WON'T stop someone suggesting it at a later date. They'll probably be a "f****** idiot".  We'll have to wait and see  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:.

no you have got that market cornered and congratulations at bringing negativity to the forum you must be proud.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8070: Nov 24, 2015 02:29:00 pm

I'm pretty sure most idiots will understand we gave Rodgers 3 years ( some wanted him here longer)  :f_whistle: & Klopp will deserve no less to rebuild.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8071: Nov 24, 2015 03:27:07 pm
      An open letter to Real Madrid's Rafa Benitez, from a former player and fellow coach

By Eurosport
      Last update 11 minutes ago - Published on 24/11/2015 at 14:51Miguel Angel Ferrer - aka 'Mista' - played under Rafa Benitez during his epic, trophy-laden spell at Valencia. Now a manager himself, he has penned this open letter via Eurosport to Real Madrid's beleaguered manager to share his thoughts on Real's plight.

Dear Rafa You've always been a very methodical coach, who likes to have everything under your control and whom nobody can take by surprise. You've given freedom to your players, and perhaps that's why your teams have always stood by you throughout your entire career.

To the players with whom you currently share a dressing room, I would say that your greatest virtue is that you always make your players perform beyond their capabilities. If they believe in your message, they will end up doing very well. From the moment you arrived at Real Madrid you knew what you were going to find. The club was coming off a year that wasn't good, and yet they've practically demanded that you are challenging for titles from day one. The start has not been good, not so much in the results but in the level of football, but I have no doubt that things will turn out well, and even if the occasional disaster will make things more complicated you'll always give it 100%. That's part of what has made Real Madrid great and made it one of the finest teams in the world.

What's more, this isn't the first time that you've come up against this sort of situation. Your extensive experience will tell you that, with calm and patience, you'll get results. In football, trying to rush things is always ill-advised, even if getting quick results is the order of the day. One always needs a period of adaptation to let your message sink in with your players. A defeat like Saturday's would have any coach trembling in his boots, but if there's anyone who knows how to tackle and overcome this sort of situation, it's you. The blow at the weekend was huge, but with patience it can be put right. I'm convinced that you'll have told the players that these types of things happen in football. You'll have reminded everyone, yourself above all, that you got things wrong, and accepting that is the first step to getting past it. From here on, the secret for you will be hard work. You are a born grafter, and working hard will bring results.

If I were the manager, I wouldn't make any kneejerk changes to how things are right now at Real Madrid. When you make changes or take decisions without planning you expose yourself to the possibility that anything can happen. Regardless of the current situation, the most sensible thing to keep on trusting yourself and allow your methods to work. I'm conviced that you'll have the patience necessary to wait until everything starts to fall into place. You have at your disposal 22 of the best players in the world, and they will all put their shoulders to the wheel for the benefit of a team to get things working. In football, at times you need to take a big hit in order to react. We saw that with Barcelona last season, when it looked all over for them as they lost to Real Sociedad at the Anoeta; but after that hammer blow, everything changed. Saturday's defeat has to be the trigger to realise that maybe you weren't going in the right direction and change.

For better or worse, football never stops and Real Madrid have a new challenge in the Champions League. This match offers a chance to top the group and then start thinking afresh about the league, in which you have suffered a defeat but still have every chance of winning. I always think about the words you once used with us in the dressing room and which I, who had a great friendship with you, have now made my own: Entrenamiento duro, éxito seguro - or "tough training, success certain." I believe that now, more than ever, you must embrace those words in order to move forwards. Bset of luck Miguel Angel Ferrer - aka 'Mista'
      http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/liga/2015-2016/an-open-letter-to-real-madrid-s-rafa-benitez-from-a-former-player-and-fellow-coach_sto5001818/story.shtml?

Proof that not every player Rafa has managed dislikes him :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8072: Nov 24, 2015 03:58:58 pm
      21 min ago
      Materazzi takes swipe at Benitez

Napoli are better off having replaced Rafael Benitez with "a proper coach", according to former Inter defender Marco Materazzi.
      Marco Materazzi has taken a swipe at Real Madrid coach Rafael Benitez by claiming his former club Napoli "actually have a coach now".

Madrid president Florentino Perez gave his public support to Benitez in the wake of their 4-0 thrashing by Barcelona, despite mounting criticism of his brief spell at the club so far.
      The ex-Liverpool manager's tactics have also been questioned by Napoli star Marek Hamsik this season, with the Stadio San Paolo side enjoying a strong run in Serie A under new head coach Maurizio Sarri.
      And Materazzi, who played under Benitez at Inter, believes the 55-year-old has a history of upsetting the key players at his disposal.

"The main difference is that Napoli actually have a coach now," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "On Saturday I was watching El Clasico and I felt like Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, John Terry and Paolo Cannavaro – all players with a strong character who never got on with that one.

"At this moment, Napoli are frightening opponents. They are organised, all run for the team and have Gonzalo Higuain, one of the five best strikers in the world."
      Napoli are just two points off Serie A leaders Inter after 13 games, with Fiorentina and Roma also in the frame, but Materazzi believes the Scudetto race is likely to be between the top two.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/materazzi-takes-swipe-benitez#yDL7j4RW2ULkEfVk.99

Then there are those for whom the dislike never dies :)

Quick Reply