Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096307 times
      Jimsouse67 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #8073: Nov 24, 2015 04:16:42 pm
      wasnt aimed at you mate I was questioning why anyone with half a brain would think that we who love Rafa would want him here instead of Jürgen.
      no you have got that market cornered and congratulations at bringing negativity to the forum you must be proud.

The only people who bring negativity to the forum are bellends who chuck their weight about like keyboard gangsters when someone doesn't agree with them. F****** idiots? Now that's a market which HAS been cornered as you'd well know.

Anyways I don't do keyboard angst myself so I'm not going to get involved in a discussion about where I live/whether I "get it" or not/whether my Mum ever cooked me scouse or not/how many times I've been to Anfield/how many away games I've been to/how old I am/how many Shredded wheats I can eat/how hard my dad was/how big my todger is/what level of football I've played at/how hard I am/whether anybody in my family worked on the docks or not/whether or not I've got a tankard hanging up in the Sefton/whether or not I have the boxed set of the Liver birds or every Beatles album ever made etc etc. I'll leave you to have such discussions with younger or American fans.

For now I'll just refer you to my earlier post, the one which that other eejit LFCATW quoted at the top of the page. That explains pretty well my stance on the matter, namely that I couldn't give a f*** who wins the league in Spain, save that is for a slight bias towards Athletico as they are outspent every season and Simione appeals to my liking of nutters a little. My point about people pining for having Benitez back if he is ever out of work and we lose a couple of games is a prediction. If you don't agree with it then it's OK, no really it is, lets give it a year or two and see who's right.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8074: Nov 24, 2015 04:18:02 pm
      21 min ago
      Materazzi takes swipe at Benitez

Napoli are better off having replaced Rafael Benitez with "a proper coach", according to former Inter defender Marco Materazzi.
      Marco Materazzi has taken a swipe at Real Madrid coach Rafael Benitez by claiming his former club Napoli "actually have a coach now".

Madrid president Florentino Perez gave his public support to Benitez in the wake of their 4-0 thrashing by Barcelona, despite mounting criticism of his brief spell at the club so far.
      The ex-Liverpool manager's tactics have also been questioned by Napoli star Marek Hamsik this season, with the Stadio San Paolo side enjoying a strong run in Serie A under new head coach Maurizio Sarri.
      And Materazzi, who played under Benitez at Inter, believes the 55-year-old has a history of upsetting the key players at his disposal.

"The main difference is that Napoli actually have a coach now," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "On Saturday I was watching El Clasico and I felt like Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, John Terry and Paolo Cannavaro – all players with a strong character who never got on with that one.

"At this moment, Napoli are frightening opponents. They are organised, all run for the team and have Gonzalo Higuain, one of the five best strikers in the world."
      Napoli are just two points off Serie A leaders Inter after 13 games, with Fiorentina and Roma also in the frame, but Materazzi believes the Scudetto race is likely to be between the top two.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/materazzi-takes-swipe-benitez#yDL7j4RW2ULkEfVk.99

Then there are those for whom the dislike never dies :)

I doubt Rafa will shed a tear.
      Rafa's strength and his weakness is his self belief but at the level he operates you cant afford to have doubts. I have a feeling he needs Bale to come and take some of the shine of golden boy who thinks he is RM.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8075: Nov 24, 2015 04:25:20 pm
      The only people who bring negativity to the forum are bellends who chuck their weight about like keyboard gangsters when someone doesn't agree with them. F****** idiots? Now that's a market which HAS been cornered as you'd well know.

Anyways I don't do keyboard angst myself so I'm not going to get involved in a discussion about where I live/whether I "get it" or not/whether my Mum ever cooked me scouse or not/how many times I've been to Anfield/how many away games I've been to/how old I am/how many Shredded wheats I can eat/how hard my dad was/how big my todger is/what level of football I've played at/how hard I am/whether anybody in my family worked on the docks or not/whether or not I've got a tankard hanging up in the Sefton/whether or not I have the boxed set of the Liver birds or every Beatles album ever made etc etc. I'll leave you to have such discussions with younger or American fans.

For now I'll just refer you to my earlier post, the one which that other eejit LFCATW quoted at the top of the page. That explains pretty well my stance on the matter, namely that I couldn't give a f*** who wins the league in Spain, save that is for a slight bias towards Athletico as they are outspent every season and Simione appeals to my liking of nutters a little. My point about people pining for having Benitez back if he is ever out of work and we lose a couple of games is a prediction. If you don't agree with it then it's OK, no really it is, lets give it a year or two and see who's right.

Mick, in a year or 2 Jürgen might be managing Madrid ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8076: Nov 24, 2015 04:28:29 pm
      He's doing an average job to be fair.

It was always odds against that he could control a dressing room with such egos as that of Real Madrid. Clubs like ours, Valencia and Napoli have players that are willing to listen. Clubs like Madrid have players who's egos need massaging every 10 minutes.

If you can keep their egos happy and they buy in to your message then it's a squad capable of great things. It's a very similar scenario with Chelsea. I just don't think Rafa has the personality to pull them together.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8077: Nov 24, 2015 04:59:55 pm
      21 min ago

Napoli are better off having replaced Rafael Benitez with "a proper coach", according to former Inter defender Marco Materazzi.
      Marco Materazzi has taken a swipe at Real Madrid coach Rafael Benitez by claiming his former club Napoli "actually have a coach now".

Madrid president Florentino Perez gave his public support to Benitez in the wake of their 4-0 thrashing by Barcelona, despite mounting criticism of his brief spell at the club so far.
      The ex-Liverpool manager's tactics have also been questioned by Napoli star Marek Hamsik this season, with the Stadio San Paolo side enjoying a strong run in Serie A under new head coach Maurizio Sarri.
      And Materazzi, who played under Benitez at Inter, believes the 55-year-old has a history of upsetting the key players at his disposal.

"The main difference is that Napoli actually have a coach now," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "On Saturday I was watching El Clasico and I felt like Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, John Terry and Paolo Cannavaro – all players with a strong character who never got on with that one.

"At this moment, Napoli are frightening opponents. They are organised, all run for the team and have Gonzalo Higuain, one of the five best strikers in the world."
      Napoli are just two points off Serie A leaders Inter after 13 games, with Fiorentina and Roma also in the frame, but Materazzi believes the Scudetto race is likely to be between the top two.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/materazzi-takes-swipe-benitez#yDL7j4RW2ULkEfVk.99

Materazzi, a player who's cuntishness makes Costa seem like a saint. :-)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8078: Nov 24, 2015 05:56:35 pm

more bollox if your in a deep hole the best thing is to stop digging and dont bring that other well used excuse calling people internet  gangsters  its just pathetic.You brought Rafa and Jürgen into the same thread to sh*t stir and you dont like it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8079: Nov 24, 2015 06:11:28 pm

Real's squad is a galactico mix of superstars steaming with medallists at club and international level. Most of them won the European Cup at Real Madrid, many won the league and cup there. In a two team league, it shouldn't be all that difficult to get them to win more titles. Unfortunately, put Benitez in charge and it becomes a Herculean task. I said at the start of the season that appointing him was the surrender of the title, and nothing I've seen/heard so far suggests otherwise. Chances are he'll be back on the Wirral soon enough.

What a complete load of bollocks. To say it's a Herculean task with Rafa is a joke. They've won the league 3 times in the last 12 years, the last of which being nearly 4 years ago! That league has been utterly dominated by Barca for that time so it's pretty much an impossible task for any Madrid manager to win it, and it took Jose 3 years so don't start jumping on his bandwagon of having won it. Also to say it's a 2 team league is an insult to Atletico who have not only managed to win the league more recently than Madrid but are consistently up there in the mix of winning it for the last few years now, along with winning the cup and getting to a Champions League final!

You have posted some crap on here but this is right up there lad.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8080: Nov 24, 2015 06:29:45 pm
      more bollox if your in a deep hole the best thing is to stop digging and dont bring that other well used excuse calling people internet  gangsters  its just pathetic. You brought Rafa and Jürgen into the same thread to sh*t stir and you dont like it.

No, I made a prediction which I stand by (and why you find it so unbelievable is a mystery, ask Shabs and that Vulcan red character and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't admit it here and now). Now the fact that you got stirred up by it is your own problem, as it is seemingly your problem that I said " The only people who bring negativity to the forum are bellends who chuck their weight about like keyboard gangsters when someone doesn't agree with them ". Now the fact that you have taken yourself to be one of those "bellends" and "keyboard gangsters" is up to your good self and no concern of mine. 

The simple fact of the matter is that if anybody sees anything in a different way to you, you get yourself a little bit worked up in mouth-froth and silliness. It's only moments before the "where do you live?" angle rears it's head, swiftly followed by a few insults and "how many games have you been to?". It's all a little bit embarrassing sometimes, and we're in danger of descending there here.

I have an idea. If you disagree with my prediction, why don't you just say so? Why don't you come back in six months time when presumably nobody has expressed such a wish and remind me of it? Then come back every six months after that and remind me of it again, and again? That's what sensible people do on football forums, they have a bit of banter and a bit of backward and forward. The alternative of course is you can accuse someone of "bringing negativity into the forum" and then calling them "f****** idiots" and generally giving it the KG routine which we've seen so many times. The irony of my list of the bollocks you've come out with over the time I've been on the forum is that although a lot of them are obviously tongue in cheek, most of them are actually true, you HAVE come out with that sh!t  :lmao:.

Now I know you normally reserve your utterest bollocks for when you are speaking to fans from overseas, I get that. That's when you really start chucking the insults around, I get that too. It won't wash with me though soft lad, behave yourself. xxxxx:action-smiley-065:.     
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8081: Nov 24, 2015 06:43:15 pm
      No, I made a prediction which I stand by (and why you find it so unbelievable is a mystery, ask Shabs and that Vulcan red character and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't admit it here and now).

Admit what Mick?.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8082: Nov 24, 2015 06:47:47 pm

Ah Shabbadabbado you know exactly what. My prediction is that if Benitez gets the push from Real Madrid, a few losses for Jürgen will see one or two of his more extreme devotees pining for a return of the goateed one. Now I could be wrong I could be right (as john Lydon once said) only time will tell I guess. Not a biggie either way though, it is (was) just a bit of forum banter during a quiet midweek. At least it was until Rocky MarciWalton started getting himself all worked up behind his Atari screen.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8083: Nov 24, 2015 06:53:15 pm
      Ah Shabbadabbado you know exactly what. My prediction is that if Benitez gets the push from Real Madrid, a few losses for Jürgen will see one or two of his more extreme devotees pining for a return of the goateed one. Now I could be wrong I could be right (as john Lydon once said) only time will tell I guess. Not a biggie either way though, it is (was) just a bit of forum banter during a quiet midweek. At least it was until Rocky MarciWalton started getting himself all worked up behind his Atari screen.

I think on this one Mick your wrong, Real president 24hrs ago gave a press conference that Rafa has only just started his work and be patient with him, those of us who still follow Rafa's work will be the last to call for him as our manager if Klopp stumbles because we know what it will take Klopp to get us challenging again.

Having said that if Klopp decides to move within those 3 years of his current contract and Rafa was available it would be daft not to look at the option of Rafa returning.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8084: Nov 24, 2015 06:58:42 pm
      I think on this one Mick your wrong, Real president 24hrs ago gave a press conference that Rafa has only just started his work and be patient with him, those of us who still follow Rafa's work will be the last to call for him as our manager if Klopp stumbles because we know what it will take Klopp to get us challenging again.

Having said that if Klopp decides to move within those 3 years of his current contract and Rafa was available it would be daft not to look at the option of Rafa returning.

Fair enough mate :lmao:. I'm not quite collecting my tenner yet, but I ain't chucking me ticket away either!!

In all seriousness you've never hidden your feelings about Benitez mate, thanks for giving an honest answer.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8085: Nov 25, 2015 07:31:04 am
      Rafa is still the topic that polarizes the Liverpool supporters more than any other even after 5 years. On the one side you get the Rafa admirers who seem to compete with each other for who can show the most "love" and support for him. On the other side are the people who think that perhaps he had one or two flaws (or in the real "haters" camp a lot of flaws)

After all this time you would think we should be able to have a rational discussion, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter how well intentioned the discussion starts, within a very short time the arguments become personal and the insults start to fly.

Maybe the solution would be to have two threads, one for the people who believe Rafa was the best thing to ever happen to Liverpool and just enjoy reinforcing that view in conjunction with his many admirers and one for those who would like to discuss Rafa "warts and all".

Or maybe we should all just stick to discussing Hodgson's brief reign of hell and move on?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #8086: Nov 25, 2015 08:36:46 am
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      To say it's a Herculean task with Rafa is a joke. They've won the league 3 times in the last 12 years, the last of which being nearly 4 years ago! That league has been utterly dominated by Barca for that time so it's pretty much an impossible task for any Madrid manager to win it, and it took Jose 3 years. Also to say it's a 2 team league is an insult to Atletico who have not only managed to win the league more recently than Madrid but are consistently up there in the mix of winning it for the last few years now

Atletico won one league since 1997. La Liga is a two horse race, and the only time the rest get a look in, is when both horses blow it.

It took Mourinho two years to win the title. Rafa hasn't delivered one for 12 years. He has fantastic playing and financial resources at Real. For a coach that constantly  wants big transfer budgets, he is at the richest club in the world. It's harder to screw it up than deliver trophies, but he's found a way of doing so, and antagonised 4 senior players already. (that we know of)

He lost 0-4 this weekend. No Real Madrid coach has lost 0-4 at home to them as long as I can remember, and he should be held primarily responsible for it. I know that they would if it was anyone else.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8087: Nov 25, 2015 08:59:04 am

I really think that when Klopp put pen to paper that really was the end of that matter, closing off any future return for Rafa. The fact that Klopp implements a very different system of football compared to Rafa would make the idea of him succeeding Jürgen as folly. I have no doubt that Klopp will create a system that will have a generational effect on this club. Naturally appointing someone who abides closely to Klopp's values would be the obvious answer.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8088: Nov 25, 2015 10:00:07 am
      An open letter to Real Madrid's Rafa Benitez, from a former player and fellow coach

By Eurosport
      Last update 11 minutes ago - Published on 24/11/2015 at 14:51Miguel Angel Ferrer - aka 'Mista' - played under Rafa Benitez during his epic, trophy-laden spell at Valencia. Now a manager himself, he has penned this open letter via Eurosport to Real Madrid's beleaguered manager to share his thoughts on Real's plight.

Dear Rafa You've always been a very methodical coach, who likes to have everything under your control and whom nobody can take by surprise. You've given freedom to your players, and perhaps that's why your teams have always stood by you throughout your entire career.

To the players with whom you currently share a dressing room, I would say that your greatest virtue is that you always make your players perform beyond their capabilities. If they believe in your message, they will end up doing very well. From the moment you arrived at Real Madrid you knew what you were going to find. The club was coming off a year that wasn't good, and yet they've practically demanded that you are challenging for titles from day one. The start has not been good, not so much in the results but in the level of football, but I have no doubt that things will turn out well, and even if the occasional disaster will make things more complicated you'll always give it 100%. That's part of what has made Real Madrid great and made it one of the finest teams in the world.

What's more, this isn't the first time that you've come up against this sort of situation. Your extensive experience will tell you that, with calm and patience, you'll get results. In football, trying to rush things is always ill-advised, even if getting quick results is the order of the day. One always needs a period of adaptation to let your message sink in with your players. A defeat like Saturday's would have any coach trembling in his boots, but if there's anyone who knows how to tackle and overcome this sort of situation, it's you. The blow at the weekend was huge, but with patience it can be put right. I'm convinced that you'll have told the players that these types of things happen in football. You'll have reminded everyone, yourself above all, that you got things wrong, and accepting that is the first step to getting past it. From here on, the secret for you will be hard work. You are a born grafter, and working hard will bring results.

If I were the manager, I wouldn't make any kneejerk changes to how things are right now at Real Madrid. When you make changes or take decisions without planning you expose yourself to the possibility that anything can happen. Regardless of the current situation, the most sensible thing to keep on trusting yourself and allow your methods to work. I'm conviced that you'll have the patience necessary to wait until everything starts to fall into place. You have at your disposal 22 of the best players in the world, and they will all put their shoulders to the wheel for the benefit of a team to get things working. In football, at times you need to take a big hit in order to react. We saw that with Barcelona last season, when it looked all over for them as they lost to Real Sociedad at the Anoeta; but after that hammer blow, everything changed. Saturday's defeat has to be the trigger to realise that maybe you weren't going in the right direction and change.

For better or worse, football never stops and Real Madrid have a new challenge in the Champions League. This match offers a chance to top the group and then start thinking afresh about the league, in which you have suffered a defeat but still have every chance of winning. I always think about the words you once used with us in the dressing room and which I, who had a great friendship with you, have now made my own: Entrenamiento duro, éxito seguro - or "tough training, success certain." I believe that now, more than ever, you must embrace those words in order to move forwards. Bset of luck Miguel Angel Ferrer - aka 'Mista'
      http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/liga/2015-2016/an-open-letter-to-real-madrid-s-rafa-benitez-from-a-former-player-and-fellow-coach_sto5001818/story.shtml?

Proof that not every player Rafa has managed dislikes him :)

Thanks for that saint, that's a good read. I know a lot players probably don't get or want a manager like Rafa, but I can't understand fans not wanting him. He will give everything and he has a lot to give.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8089: Nov 25, 2015 10:01:24 am
      Atletico won one league since 1997. La Liga is a two horse race, and the only time the rest get a look in, is when both horses blow it.

It took Mourinho two years to win the title. Rafa hasn't delivered one for 12 years. He has fantastic playing and financial resources at Real. For a coach that constantly  wants big transfer budgets, he is at the richest club in the world. It's harder to screw it up than deliver trophies, but he's found a way of doing so, and antagonised 4 senior players already. (that we know of)

He lost 0-4 this weekend. No Real Madrid coach has lost 0-4 at home to them as long as I can remember, and he should be held primarily responsible for it. I know that they would if it was anyone else.
      It could have been worse, barca could have put 5 past madrid, imagine that.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8090: Nov 25, 2015 10:03:08 am
      21 min ago

Of course there are alternative points of view.
      willfc
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #8091: Nov 25, 2015 10:50:29 am
      I feel sorry for the guy, does really well at Liverpool and reasonably well at Napoli, has a reasonable spell with Chelsea then the dream of a lifetime Madrid, I think he's underrated but will do well, shame about their result against Barca, but he's doing well
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #8092: Nov 25, 2015 11:15:06 am
      I feel sorry for the guy, does really well at Liverpool and reasonably well at Napoli, has a reasonable spell with Chelsea then the dream of a lifetime Madrid, I think he's underrated but will do well, shame about their result against Barca, but he's doing well

I don't feel sorry for him as he has had success and coached some of the top sides in Europe but I do feel he is under rated and gets unfair criticism at times. He even seems to be a figure of fun for some people for a reason I'm not sure why, and I'm talking non LFC fans there.

I love he man and think he is a great coach but he isn't infallible and I expect him to win something at Real otherwise I would count that as a failure.

On Micks point about people wanting him back if things start to go wrong for allopathic maybe they will but I, as a big Rafa fan, think his time here is done and we have to move on and forget about him coming back.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8093: Nov 25, 2015 12:59:58 pm
      Don't know what all the fuss is about to be honest, Barca were beat 4-1 by Celta Vigo and they don't exactly have a team of Galactico's, a season is not decided on one or two results.

Will Rafa fail or succeed, havent a F***ing a clue, but its too early for the 'I told you so's' from either side of the camp that are deeply entrenched in their positions.

He was Liverpool manager, done a good job for us, won us old big ears and made us feared throughout Europe, appreciate it and get over it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8094: Nov 25, 2015 01:13:03 pm
      from either side of the camp that are deeply entrenched in their positions.

That's it just it there.

No matter what happens some will never have any other view either way.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #8095: Nov 25, 2015 01:38:52 pm
      21 min ago

Bitterness comes easy for those tainted by being an ex-blueshite!!

Quick Reply