Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Roy the Right Man for Liverpool FC? (added 9 September 2010)

Yes
      (7.3%)
      No
      (80.2%)
      Undecided
      (12.5%)

Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)

Read 510437 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)
      Aug 08, 2010 04:13:20 pm
      Oh well, I've been pondering over starting this thread for a couple of weeks now, I thought one would have been started by now. At some point it would have started, so I'd like to put my case for Roy Hodgson forward to get the ball rolling. I'm hoping that this thread can be kept to a minimum with sensible arguments. The Rafa thread was just ridiculous at times last season, the amount of one liners that filled the pages was ludicrous at best. I'd like to think that posts in this thread can be kept to assess Roy's man-management skills and how he progresses as a football manager during the season. I'll try to keep the post short and sweet as most of my points for Roy have been posted in the Roy Hodgson thread.

When Roy was appointed as our new football manager I must admit that I was very apprehensive. There were supposedly better and big name managers available, yet not many were keen to come to a Club that had fallen from title favourites to Europa League position battlers  in the matter of a season. That in itself tells it's own story for me. If a manager feels he needs a vast amount of money to win trophies then he's beaten before he starts really, that's not exactly a sign of a man who is confident in his own abilities, is it?. Roy was fully aware of the financial crisis, yet he still took the job. Why wouldn't he?.

I know Roy doesn't have a managerial CV comparable with many managers, but he isn't scared of taking challenges on. And for that I have respect for him. His career has seen him travel across the globe, taking in various cultures, languages and playing styles. Out of respect I've done some research on him to get a closer look at who Roy really is. In his first managerial position at Halmstad in Sweden he took a team that were favourites for relegation to the championship title in his first season. When at Malmo he won seven titles and two Cups. The Club offered him a lifetime contract, that's right a lifetime contract. He even has a section of the stadium named after him. He left to take up a new challenge.

When in charge of Switzerland he took them to their first World Cup Finals in 28 years, an achievement in itself when you consider how unsuccessful they had been in previous campaigns. He then gained qualification for Euro 96 before leaving for Inter Milan. And for all the stats lovers on here, he took Switzerland to third in the Fifa World Rankings during his time there. After his stint at Inter Milan, where he improved the side gradually, he went on to Blackburn where he flopped quite badly. A flop that was detrimental to his chances of landing the England manager vacancy. He then flitted around some obscure scenarios before eventually returning to the Premier League with Fulham. We all know what a good job he did there so I'll leave it there.

A couple of forumites ( you know who you are ) have quite openly stated that Roy hasn't had much of a job to do since arriving?, what an absolute load of f**king bollocks!. That is such an uneducated remark to make it defies belief. Let's have a look at what Roy has done since his arrival. Well, he's had a very limited timeframe to assess the players at his disposal, he's had to convince star players who had become disillusioned with the Club that their futures were at Anfield. He's had to get to know all the players, he's had to install new training practices, he's had to build team morale, he's had to run around like a blue arsed fly meeting with Board members and owners that he knows he can't trust. He's had to convince new signings that Liverpool Football Club is the place to be.

He's had to attend numerous press conferences and remain dignified when the world knows he has no definite answers. What about trying to settle in a new environment whilst doing all the aforementioned tasks?. What about meeting all the Club's staff?. What about organising a pre-season when his feet have barely touched the ground?. What about playing a tricky Europa League qualifier with star players still on World Cup rest?. What about desperately trying to convince a player who blatantly wants out, but still trying for the sake of the Club?. I bet I haven't even covered the half of it here.

We all have mates who support other teams and of the Fulham fans that I know, they all say that he was a very good manager who got the best out of his players. I know he hasn't managed big Clubs before, but if he can get the best out of our players then there are very exciting times ahead. Imagine a Ryan Babel firing on all cylinders. With his signing of Cole, the probable sight of Aquilani, Cole, Gerrard and Torres is going to be phenomenal to say the least.

Since his arrival Roy has been making the right noises, talking sense and more importantly, being realistic. He's not guaranteeing anything because he can't. He's still finding his feet at a massive Club with massive expectations. He's done a great job in convincing Gerrard and Torres to stay, regardless of what others on this forum think, they only wanted to hear what Roy had to say with regards to the footballing side of the Club. Even Carragher was contemplating going elsewhere if he was to become a bit part player, words that he uttered himself. He's not afraid to throw the youngsters in either.

Nobody can argue that we were absolutely terrible last season, we played some of the most boring football I've seen in a long time. Players were becoming disillusioned under Rafa, they looked emotionally drained on the pitch. The constant inclusion of out of position players will hopefully become a thing of the past. We were so negative last season that I was actually expecting us to lose, this was all due to very poor team selection and nothing else.

Roy has a massive job on his hands, he has to convert this negative energy into positive energy. He has inherited a very good bunch of players from Rafa, yet these players have not been performing as well as they should have been. If Roy can get the best out of the players then I genuinely feel we can win the League. Have no doubts that even though the players are still the same, they will play differently under Roy than Rafa. I'm hoping that we get to see the artists and not the robots.

What has interested me is the way Roy has spoken about returning to 'The Liverpool Way'. I feel that is what we need, go back to basics and play the simple game. A game that served us so well for many years before. This season is going to be big, very big. Roy is going to surprise a lot of people throughout the football community.

To reiterate, I think Roy will bring a different aproach, Roy will man manage the players a lot better than Rafa did, the squad will be happier and I believe that no players will feel isolated under Roy, as they did under Rafa. If players don't pull their weight then Roy will drop them, if our senior players are injured or suspended then I expect Roy to play the youngsters in their correct positions. Roy will concentrate on footballing matters first and foremost and will not embroil himself in political wrangling. He will let players express themselves while maintaining high levels of defensive discipline when not in possession. He will get us playing as a 'team' and fighting for each other. He will return to basics and build from there, he will not over complicate issues. He will restore some dignity to the Club and will no doubt work extremely hard for the Club.

May I just say again, can we keep this thread purely as an analytical haven that relates to Roy's progress as a football manager. Any posts relating to tactics, player selection and results will hopefully be posted in the post match theads.

I look around at our competitors and I don't really see a lot to be worried about in all honesty. If Roy can get the best out of our lads then I see no reason why we can't win the League this year, can you?.

The first English manager to win the Premier League and win it on a shoestring budget?. Well.......

Ooops!, I almost forgot, is Roy the right man?. Well if I'm basing it on what he's done since his arrival then I have to say yes.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010 01:25:59 pm by JD »
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2010 04:16:39 pm
      It was only a matter of time before this thread would be created. Que the knee-jerks throught-out the season ;D.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #2: Aug 08, 2010 04:17:53 pm
      It was only a matter of time before this thread would be created. Que the knee-jerks throught-out the season ;D.

I know mate. That's why i wanted to try and keep it civilized from the beginning.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2010 04:27:27 pm
      I know mate. That's why I wanted to try and keep it civilized from the beginning.

Wasn't having a go, don't worry. I just remember the Rafa one very well. May i credit you on a fantastic opening post by the way.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #4: Aug 08, 2010 04:58:32 pm
      I remember stating to my mate Gow that I would like Hodgson at christmas last season. So I am glad we have got him as our manager now. There are many reasons for this. So as not to bore everyone I will go through a few of them.

- I like Roy's football methods in the way he gets his teams to play. They play attractive football on the deck, a passing game. This was always the Liverpool way. He likes his teams to attack and express themselves. Tactically he will adapt, especially in premiership games. Over the last few years we have been great tactically in europe, but have not adapted in league games which is different to europe.

- Roy is british and I feel it is about time we went back down this route. Already he has spoken about puttling 'the liverpool spirit' back into the club and this is something I identify with completely. Signing british players is also a good sign of this as well as looking to bring back Hyypia who for me is a scouser!

- I like Roy's man managment skills. He seems a very likable fella and I feel that the players will enjoy playing for him. Too often last season it seemed that not many were enjoying it and how they were being asked to play. I feel Roy will have more of a connection with the players. This I feel is very important when things ARE NOT going well as will be the case at times, maybe even early on. By talking to players and connecting with them, he will keep encouraging them which keeps the confidence up. Too often recently players seem to have lost confidence very quickly. At Fulham you could see Roy had a great relationship with his players. There is a feel good factor back in the squad and that can only be a good thing.

- Roy is a very dignified man. He knows and respects what the Liverpool way is all about. I feel certain that this season, whatever problems we have behind the scenes, will remain behind the scenes. I feel our dirty laundry was washed in public too often in the last few years. If Roy needs to have an arguement about the way the club is being run, he will have it and it will stay behind closed doors. But most importantly Roy will concentrate on team affairs. He will keep the squad focussed on the job on the field and will not let other things enter any players thougts or be used as an excuse.

- Roy will not make promises he cannot keep. However as we have seen so far in his press conferences he is a very positive man. People said he was mad for taking the job. But, even though he knew the restraints we were under, he still took the job because he knows what our club stands for. You can already sense this positivity rubbing off on the squad, as many have stated about the training thus far.

- Roy has alot of experience built up over many years and many countries. Obviously he is no spring chicken, but to me this is not a problem. The experience he has built up will be good for the players, especially the younger ones coming through.

Overall, while Roy was not everyones choice. He ticks all the boxes I was looking for in a Liverpool manager. He plays football, he allows his players to express themselves, he has alot of experience and knowledge, has good man managment skill, is dignified and is positive and determined. He also recognises the Liverpool spirit and the Liverpool way in terms of how he conducts himself. There is alot to like about him, just as there was was messers Shankly, Paisley Fagan and Dalglish!

Good luck Roy. There is a long road ahead. But the feel good factor is back and the gloom lifted and alot of that is down to Roy.

YNWA
      red-machine
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts |
      Reply #5: Aug 08, 2010 05:08:54 pm
      I think Roy will do a fantastic job for us and am actually pleased we got him, as much as I loved Rafa I'm kind of glad that we have got an English manager for a change. If he gets the reds playing as a unit like he did with Fulham I have no reason to doubt that this will be a really exciting season for us.

Very nice first post by the way hardcoresoldier, it would have taken me a week or more to put that together.

Good Luck Roy.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #6: Aug 08, 2010 05:14:24 pm
      It would be nice if the mods would place a vote on top the thread.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #7: Aug 08, 2010 05:21:04 pm
      @hardcoresoldier..... great 1st post mate. Completely agree with your comments. Roy has done a fantastic job so far. But the bigger test is still to come. Im not talking about next week, im talking about the next 10 months and I know he will do just fine!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,252 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #8: Aug 08, 2010 05:28:08 pm
      I am impressed with the start Roy has made, liked what he has said, even liked the players he has signed hope Roy keeps it up good luck for he coming season
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #9: Aug 08, 2010 05:29:02 pm
      Yeah, why not. Things seem to be improving at the club, we seem to be on the up, fingers crossed.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #10: Aug 08, 2010 05:33:20 pm
      Far too early to judge either way at present.  I'll back him to the end, as I have all managers, but I'll reserve the right to critique as I see fit.  I'm no more than cautiously optimistic at present.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Aug 08, 2010 05:36:44 pm
      It is a good post can't say I completely agree as you know hardcore,  If circumstances were different I wouldn't have wanted Roy Hodgson and intially I did have a problem with Hodgson and looked him like as I do Ayres and Purslow as a Yank appointment but I've decided to give the lad a chance he took on the Liverpool job in the most difficult circumstances ever at the club and deserves credit for that.

I don't personally think Hodgson record is as good as we are made to believe but maybe like some posters have said he has never had a more talented team.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #12: Aug 08, 2010 05:38:07 pm
      @hardcoresoldier..... great 1st post mate. Completely agree with your comments. Roy has done a fantastic job so far. But the bigger test is still to come. Im not talking about next week, im talking about the next 10 months and I know he will do just fine!

Totally agree with you mate. It's going to be a long and exciting season. No disrespect to Rafa but i feel that we would have been in the same mess as last season if he had stayed. There's a lot to be said for craving total control of a Football Club, Rafa took his eyes off the team while pursuing other avenues last season.

I'm no fool, Roy has a massive job on his hands. Everything he has done so far has just warmed me to him even more, taking me from being apprehensive to confident. And as a Liverpool fan, i have been finding the word confident being used less and less in recent times.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #13: Aug 08, 2010 05:43:57 pm
      It is a good post can't say I completely agree as you know hardcore,  If circumstances were different I wouldn't have wanted Roy Hodgson and intially I did have a problem with Hodgson and looked him like as I do Ayres and Purslow as a Yank appointment but I've decided to give the lad a chance he took on the Liverpool job in the most difficult circumstances ever at the club and deserves credit for that.

I don't personally think Hodgson record is as good as we are made to believe but maybe like some posters have said he has never had a more talented team.

I know where you are coming from mate and I understand. But what we needed at this point in time was a steady hand, someone who would put the feelgood factor back, someone dignified, someone with good man managment skills and someone with experience. Roy also talks about putting 'that Liverpool spirit' back which from a distance he must have felt was missing and I agree with that. Will he prove to be the right fan in the long term, time will tell. But I feel he is the right man for now and he will do a good job in what is no doubt the most turbulent time in our history!

In Roy I Trust....   YNWA !!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #14: Aug 08, 2010 05:44:22 pm
      It is a good post can't say I completely agree as you know hardcore,  If circumstances were different I wouldn't have wanted Roy Hodgson and intially I did have a problem with Hodgson and looked him like as I do Ayres and Purslow as a Yank appointment but I've decided to give the lad a chance he took on the Liverpool job in the most difficult circumstances ever at the club and deserves credit for that.

I know your stance mate, a stance or opinion that you are entitled to and one that I respect, even if I disagree with it. I've stated in the opening post that Roy isn't a great manager, what I do admire though is that he isn't afraid of a challenge. And he won't get a bigger challenge than the one he faces now. He's brought positivity back to the Club, for that I am grateful.

As obscure as his managerial positions have been, he has a great record of improving teams and getting the best out of his players. If he can get the best out of this squad, it's not a case of we might win the League, we will win the League. And I stand by that.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #15: Aug 08, 2010 05:47:02 pm
      Totally agree with you mate. It's going to be a long and exciting season. No disrespect to Rafa but I feel that we would have been in the same mess as last season if he had stayed. There's a lot to be said for craving total control of a Football Club, Rafa took his eyes off the team while pursuing other avenues last season.

I'm no fool, Roy has a massive job on his hands. Everything he has done so far has just warmed me to him even more, taking me from being apprehensive to confident. And as a Liverpool fan, I have been finding the word confident being used less and less in recent times.

Again, completely agree. As I said in my 1st post on this thread, Roy will make sure everyone is focussed on what is happening on the field. As for the other stuff, he will deal with it behind closed doors as it always sholdd be. He is a positive man, but pulls no punches on the task ahead. That is the best way to be ! He has lifted 12 months of gloom in a few weeks and handled himself superbly in the press. Looking forward to the new season!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Aug 08, 2010 06:03:39 pm
      Totally agree with you mate. It's going to be a long and exciting season. No disrespect to Rafa but I feel that we would have been in the same mess as last season if he had stayed. There's a lot to be said for craving total control of a Football Club, Rafa took his eyes off the team while pursuing other avenues last season.

I'm no fool, Roy has a massive job on his hands. Everything he has done so far has just warmed me to him even more, taking me from being apprehensive to confident. And as a Liverpool fan, I have been finding the word confident being used less and less in recent times.

Agreed. I thought last season would get better as it went on but we got the same horrifying spectacles time and again. Wigan, Fulham, Champions League in general. Rafa made mistakes last season, and had obviously lost confidence and frustrated the dressing room withhis tactics. Anyone who says otherwise are in denial. The effect of those two yank tw*ts running of the club is no excuse for 7th in the league and incredibly dire cup appearances.

Oh and + from me hardcore. Utterly superb post.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2010 06:12:58 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,041 posts | 3352 
      Reply #17: Aug 08, 2010 06:09:23 pm
      Boss post there hardcore lad, the thread will get more and more busy over the coming weeks and months.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Aug 08, 2010 06:11:38 pm
      Think its far too early is his short managerial tenure to even begin to beg the question to be honest, he's got two competetive games under his belt against the European super power that is Rabotnicki Skopje and manged to get two good results.

Ultimately Roy will be judged on his performance as a manager in terms of his tactics, signings, man management etc etc over the course of a season or two. Its nice that Roy says and does the right things but bear in mind so did Hicks & Gillett when they first arrived and we've all seen how that panned out.

Football is a results based business and will have a massive impact on answering the question of whether or not Roy is the right man for the job, I know one thing however is Liverpool fans will afford Roy that time and judge him over the course of his tenure and not be calling for his head from the off if things don't start too well.

Fair play to the Man he took over a club that is in disarray regarding its own future let alone his, so for that he will already have won over many hearts and minds,. Is Roy the right man for Liverpool F.C ?, I'll answer this question easily next May if he's holding the EPL and Europa Cup aloft come the end of the current campaign.

I.R.H.W.T                   Y.N.W.A
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2010 06:19:24 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Aug 08, 2010 06:12:30 pm
      Well thus far you'd have to be pleased with how he's done and how he's handled himself in his position.

Only time will tell though, after the pressures and demands start to kick in during the season.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #20: Aug 08, 2010 06:15:22 pm
      Boss post there hardcore lad, the thread will get more and more busy over the coming weeks and months.

I know mate, i'm just hoping that fellow forumites can keep within the boundaries here. Sensible debate as opposed to one liner insults that more often than not will be aimed at posters than the manager!.

After we beat Arsenal next Sunday i hope that everyone posts in the match thread rather than come in here. As much as i want it to happen, deep down i know it won't.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #21: Aug 08, 2010 06:27:23 pm
      Think its far too early is his short managerial tenure to even begin to beg the question to be honest, he's got two competetive games under his belt against the European super power that is Rabotnicki Skopje and manged to get two good results.

Ultimately Roy will be judged on his performance as a manager in terms of his tactics, signings, man management etc etc over the course of a season or two. Its nice that Roy says and does the right things but bear in mind so did Hicks & Gillett when they first arrived.

Football is a results based business and will have a massive impact on answering the question of whether or not Roy is the right man for the job, I know one thing however is Liverpool fans will afford Roy that time and judge him over the course of his tenure and not be calling for his head from the off if things don't start too well.

Fair play to the Man he took over a club that is disarray regarding its own future let alone his, so for that he will already have won over many hearts and minds,. Is Roy the right man for Liverpool F.C ?, I'll answer this question easily next May if he's holding the EPL and Europa Cup aloft come May.

I.R.H.W.T                   Y.N.W.A

I find the highlighted comment to be very shallow there mate. So you only believe that Roy will be the right man if we win something this season?. If Roy gets us playing good, flowing, attractive football and builds the team morale and positivity then that will be deemed as a success for me. If he gets this Club back on an even keel then that will also be a success for me. If he changes tactics or personnel before 67 minutes have passed due to the original tactics being ineffective then that too will be deemed as a success. If he refuses to play inferior players out of position then that too will be a success to me. If he drops out of form players then that again will be a success too.

Liverpool Football Club were in a major mess last season on the pitch. A large part of that was down to Rafa, regardless of the injuries, lack of money etc. As much of an overachievement as the season before was regarded, then the same can be said for our underachievement last season. It shouldn't be too hard to better last season's pathetic campaign.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,041 posts | 3352 
      Reply #22: Aug 08, 2010 06:28:37 pm
      I know mate, i'm just hoping that fellow forumites can keep within the boundaries here. Sensible debate as opposed to one liner insults that more often than not will be aimed at posters than the manager!.

After we beat Arsenal next Sunday i hope that everyone posts in the match thread rather than come in here. As much as i want it to happen, deep down i know it won't.

After we win the League though hopefully everyone will be in this thread saying "yes" to the question you asked. Though I doubt it and instead credit will go to Rafa.

For my money Roy is the right man now. He's our manager so must be the right man. Very few, if any, manager's wanted the job. Roy did. He realised how big a job this is and took it. He didn't look at the problems at boardroom level or transfer budgets but instead looked at the possibility that he had the chance to manage Liverpool Football Club and that opportunity doesn't arise too often in a person's career. When it does, you have to take it.

I'm not going to lie, Roy was not me first choice for manager. I wanted a Liverpool man in charge. But Roy was the choice and up to now has done very little wrong. I've been impressed by his style of play up to now, allowing the players to express themselves. I've been impressed with keeping Sammy Lee as his assistant. I've been impressed with how much he tried to persuade Torres to stay and thankfully it worked.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we perform in the League this year and should we get off to the start I expect then we'll be celebrating another League title come May.

Quick Reply